From: "david" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linksys card w/no drivers
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 17:31:42 -0400

does anyone know where I can the tulip.c file for the linksys network card.
they aren't on the disk or the website

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Hall)
Subject: Free CompUSA drawing tablet; need Linux drivers
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:06:02 GMT

I picked up a "free" SkidDoodle kid's computer drawing tablets from
CompUSA today. Tried using the Watcom Xfree86 driver module; no dice. I'm
guessing the tablet is actually made by Watcom, but there is no mention of
them anywhere. Are there Linux drivers available to give this even partial
functionality? If it doesn't work, I can live with it, assuming the $50
rebate actually arrives.

Info from the bottom of the tablet:

SkidDooble Drawing Tablet
model #1722

KB Gear Interactive

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~brihall
Linux Consultant

A computer's attention span is as long as it's power cord.

------------------------------

From: "Christian Lagerberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Promise ATA100 and Linux
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:10:47 GMT

"Allen Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ou8n5$oev$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> In alt.os.linux.slackware Christian Lagerberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a disk image with a working ATA100 driver that i can use to boot
> > and install Slackware on this box ? The promise controller is named PDC20265
> > on the Asus A7V mainboard.

> Go to http://zuul.slackware.com and download the ata66 boot disk (it also
> supports ata100).  HTH
>
> Allen
> --
> Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.
>  12:00pm  up 3 days, 12:38,  5 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.01, 2.00

Aha. many thanks but i tried the ata66.i from slack 7.1 current cdrom, didnt work for
me. Failed to detect my IBM 75GXP ata100 disk.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew P. Billyard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Panasonic PV-L779K camcorder
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:12:12 GMT

I have a Panasonic PV-L779K camcorder which can take stills which are
saved on a 2Meg Flash card.  The camcorder can be hooked up to the
computer via the serial port and the stills downloaded...all via a
program written for Windows.  Is there support for camcorders in Linux?

--
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Edwin Van Hoeke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: How to get an lpd printer to *not* wait for an entire file to spool
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 17:18:11 -0500

I need to do some high-volume/high-speed printing (about 1,000,000 pages
of reports) under Linux, but I have found that the printing system
(LPRng) waits for the *entire* document to be sent to the printer before
printing even the first line.

How hard could this be?  In Windows, there is an option (which doesn't
work for lpd printers) that says to start printing immediately, as soon
as the first page is received.  I want to do something similar in Linux,
because the spool file that's being created would be around 3 GB in
size.

Incidentally, the reports I am printing are being created through a
shell pipeline, so there doesn't even *need* to be a file.

I think the hardware is irrelevant in this case, but here's the setup:

Linux box:      (PII/500, 256MB RAM, RedHat Linux 6.0 completely patched)
Printer:        HP LaserJet 8000

Has anyone done something like this before?  I am about ready to start
hacking the lpd source, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks-

evh

--
E. Van Hoeke

From: Lyndon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 15:21:38 -0700

Don't give up dude. It took me 3 months to get my Mandrake 7.0 running
like my other computer with the leading brand OS. It was worth it I
believe, now I have a computer that can do tricks :)

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A7V, Promise and Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:33:46 +1000

I have now my Linux, working with the Onboard Promise Controller.
i had no problems applying, the patch. If you are using alsa driver,
you have to re-install them again, after each new kernel compile.
This will fix your "Can't locate module emu10k". This is mentioned
in the als readme's.

Regards,
Horst Simon

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Steven Fosdick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How To Boot Window$ Or Linux ???
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:53:42 +0000

In article <O9Ur5.45741$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"kurt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I Have 2 HD
> on hda1 there is Windows
> on hdb1 there is BestLinux
> on hdb2 is the swap file
>
> but when I'm trying to boot, it just strats windows ....
> isn't there a way to have a screen on the startup , so I can choose with OS
> I wanna Use ???

When the BIOS is looking round for something to boot it loads the
first sector from the first hard disk and executes it.  In your case it
will find the DOS MBR which in turn will boot the partition marked
as active on the first drive which is obviously windows.

The DOS MBR code doesn't look at a second disk - it assumes the
OS will do that once it's booted.

So what we need to do is replace the DOS MBR with something
else which can load an OS from the other disk and which will
also offer the choice.  The standard unix boot loader called LILO
can do this if you tell it to take over the MBR.  You tell it (via
the config file) where each OS is to be found, and which
should be the default if no-one types anything then run the
/sbin/lilo program to install it in the relavent place.  There is some
documentation on LILO which should help.  On my system it is
installed in /usr/doc/lilo but on your system it may be slightly
different.

------------------------------

From: Steven Fosdick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printers with Linux
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 13:04:11 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Person 7) wrote:

> Hello.
> I have a printer (EPSON STYLUS 670 on LPT1) and the drivers are only
> for Windows. Will I be able to use the printer with Linux?

Yes.

I have one of these too and I have it working.

For printing text you can just send it straight to the printer - the printer
has a simple text mode.  You may have to fiddle with the options to
avoid the step ladder effect though.

To print graphics you will probably have to go via ghostscript which
does postscript to raster conversion and use the ghostscript driver
for this printer.  The driver is called stp and is part of the gimp project.
I forget where I got it from but the README file mentions
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net so that's worth a try.

------------------------------

From: "A-Tuin ®" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need help configuring soundcard
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 23:11:39 GMT

I had problems loading the sound module when I installed the standard kernel
but when I installed the fb kernel I had no problems at all, alternativly
download the drivers from open.creative.com I think.

--

Regards
Steve      http://www.swsystem.yorks.com

Registered Linux user number 187083

Send reply emails to:
Home -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work  -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.swsystem.yorks.com
ICQ# 40372896
Get paid to surf @ http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DAI247

news:aFys5.1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Josh Rovero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using serial ports from another machine
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 23:45:26 GMT

"Felix E. Klee" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own a laptop without a serial port. However I would occasionally
> like to use a graphics tablet which connects to a serial port.
>
> Is it possible to map the serial port from another machine to the
> laptop via a network?

Yes this is very possible.  Look for termpkg, which contains
termnetd.  This allows network connections to a serial
port.

Title:          termnet
Version:        3.1
Entered-date:   08JAN00
                Allows access to one or more serial ports through the
                telnet protocol. Can be configured to connect in a one to
                one relation of telnet ports to serial ports or in a
                round-robin fashion where one telnet port serves many
                serial ports.
Author:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Croft)
Maintained-by:
Primary-site:   www.croftj.net/~termpkg
                64.1KB termpkg-3.1.tgz
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/network/serial
                64.1KB termpkg-3.1.tgz
Platforms:      Linux, SCO5, OSF/1 AIX FreeBSD
Copying-policy: GPL

--
P. Josh Rovero     KK1D    Oceanographer &  Meteorologist
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://members.home.net/provero

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (RogerB)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:40:26 GMT

        Check the mixer and see if it's not turned down suse
does this.

------------------------------

From: peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: SMP with Mandrake 7.1 and dual CPU performance ???
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 21:33:13 -0400

I've been given a mobo that can handle 2 p233mmx cpus and I'm
wondering if Mandrake 7.1 is automatically SMP enabled or do I have to
re-compile the kernel ???

Now a question about performance, I know every application might not
utilize both processors, and I won't see twice the performance over 1
p233mmx, but what should I expect ?

My other linux machines are a Cyrix 366 (2.5x100bus) AMD K6-2 350
(3.5x100) and now the p233mmx (3.5x66).

I would give the performance advantage to the machines with the faster
bus speeds, BUT the dual board has ultra-wide SCSI...so what do you
think ???

How would the dual board function as a server compared to the others?

How about some number crunching, like SETI, etc ???

Thanks,

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Wong)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 4 Sep 2000 01:07:33 GMT

In alt.os.linux.slackware Christian Lagerberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Go to http://zuul.slackware.com and download the ata66 boot disk (it also
>> supports ata100).  HTH
>>

> Aha. many thanks but i tried the ata66.i from slack 7.1 current cdrom, didnt work for
> me. Failed to detect my IBM 75GXP ata100 disk.

I believe that the ata66 boot disk at http://zuul.slackware.com is different
from the one that came on the CD.  The above website is sort of an "unofficial"
site that the Slackware developers use for experimental projects like autoslack.It's
not an "official" boot disk, but it was created by the Slackware developers.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.
  6:00pm  up 3 days, 18:38,  5 users,  load average: 2.02, 2.01, 2.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IEEE 488
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 01:58:38 GMT

In article <8nkjbv$o76$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Noble Pepper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anybody have recommendations on software and interface hardware for
IEEE-488?

You might want to try buying and installing LabView or use kernel 2.0
and try the stuff at http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/
I do not know why they dont have support for kernel 2.2 there yet, the
site seems to have been dead since 1998.

Best regards

Olafur Jens Sigurdsson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: riptide soundcard
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:02:49 GMT

Hello

I was wondering if anyone out there has got the riptide soundcard from
Rockwell to work. If so then could you please tell me where I can find
the driver for that card. I contacted the author and he told me that it
was to be found at the hp-linux.org but I couldnt find it there and
neither on the official hp linux page.

Please help me, Im getting crazy not being able to listen to anything
here at work.

Best regards

Olafur Jens Sigurdsson

From: Mike Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Is there a patch for the 60Gig Maxtor hard disk?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 21:49:06 -0400

I need a patch for kernel 2.2.16-3 so it can use the whole 60gig of my
Maxtor disk.

--

Michael Martinez
System Administrator

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 03:19:56 +0100

"Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Im running Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and have a SoundBlaster Live! Value soundcard.
>harddrake and sndconfig find it but I cant hear anything when i do a Test.
>What can I do to get sound?

Did you check the mixer volume levels? Try kmix or aumix.

--
Garry Knight

From: SOMERTON KENNEDY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: installing linux
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:48:46 GMT

try woven goods for linux