Linux-Hardware Digest #542, Volume #12           Fri, 24 Mar 00 09:13:05 EST

Contents:
  HELP!!! ("Massimo Satta")
  Re: cdrecord problem (Karl-Heinz Herrmann)
  Re: Soundcard advice:  Soundblaster Live, or...  ? (GarbMan)
  Mitsumi CD-R causes system to freeze ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ISDN "NO DIALTONE" (Nick Kew)
  ISA modems ("Ross Contino")
  Experience with Advansys SCSI controller? (Tellplace)
  Re: plip problems - no IRQ (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: 512 MB HD BIOS Limit Workaround? (M. Buchenrieder)
  JAZZFREE TIENE NEWS!!! ("ck")
  Re: Which of these Ethernet Cards? (Andrew)
  Re: SGI Visual Workstation 320 (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: Trying to get DEC VT420 to work (Matt Luker)
  Re: ZIP 100 ATAPI (or is it IDE?) and Linux RH 6.0 (Steve Martin)
  Re: Timer Interrupt (Steve Martin)
  Re: Memory Conflict ---> Can Fast page and EDO live in harmony under  (Steve Martin)
  Re: cdrecord problem (Steve Martin)
  Re: HP Pavilion 4440 - Can anyone shed some light? (Jeff Roediger)
  Matrox Millenium G400 ("Jeff Melvaine")
  Re: lp.o and TRUST_IRQ (Yan Seiner)

From: "Massimo Satta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP!!!
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:13:41 GMT

Someone know how I may install the IBM PCI Adapter 2 on a IBM 315 with Linux
RedHat6.1 where may I find the drivers for this NIC ????
Please Help me, my E-Mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrecord problem
Date: 24 Mar 2000 12:20:47 +0100

Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:
> >
> > Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Do you mean "SysV IPC"? I am using cdrecord here on kernel 2.2.5-15,
> > > but do not have SysV filesystem installed, and it works like a charm.
> > > I do, however, have SysV IPC compiled in.

> Forgive me, I didn't make myself clear. I have SysV IPC compiled in.
> I am not using SysV filesystem *at all*. Not compiled in, not as a
> module, nothing. It's disabled in the kernel. Nada.
>
> Cdrecord works like a charm. I wouldn't dream of contradicting the
> author of this program, but there is some confusion somewhere, as
> cdrecord apparently does *not* need SysV filesystem.

I just searched the post by Joerg Schilling out again:
Acha, seit Linux-2.3.51 gibt es ein neus Problem: Da mmap() bei Linux immer
noch nicht richtig funktioniert, muß cdrecord weiterhin SYSv Shared Memory
verwenden, das ist aber seit 2.3.51 in ein Filesystem gewandert.
Wenn jemand auf einen neuen Kern aufrüstet, wird erst einmal cdrecord
nicht funktionieren. Erst wenn man in /etc/fstab einen Eintrag zum mounten
des svsv shared mem fs macht geht es wieder.

And a rough translation:
since Linux-2.3.51 there is a new problem. [...] cdrecord is using
SYSv Shared Memory which since 2.3.51 has become a filesystem.  To get
cdrecord working you need a fstab entry to mount the svsv shared mem
fs.

Though with your 2.2x kernel it would work :-)

This should clear the problem but I'm not anymore sure what the
original posting was. I just remembered this bit of information dimly
so I tried to give a hint to a possible probelm.

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: GarbMan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundcard advice:  Soundblaster Live, or...  ?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 05:33:22 -0600

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I'm looking to get a new sound card, because I can never get the one I have
> working properly with Linux (it's some crappy Crystal ISA thing that sounds
> OK with Windows, but...).  Maybe I can get better sound anyway, as well as a
> few new features.  I was thinking about the Soundblaster Live Value, because
> it's so well-regarded by all the Windows magazines.  However, I don't know
> what really separates it from the lesser models.  I don't need surround
> sound or anything, just really good stereo.  I would like to have a normal
> audio line out, so I can pipe internet radio through my home stereo (it's in
> another room), and have it sound really good.
>
> Any ideas?  What's the big deal about the Live, anyway?  Are the *128 and
> AWE64 just as good?  Are there other brands I should look at?  Of course,
> I'm concerned about how good/easy a Linux driver is available, without too
> much fiddling.  I'm running Mandrake 7.0-2, so anything with a good driver
> in there would be best.
>
> Matt O.

I can't help you with technical specifics on Live! hardware, but the
biggest difference that most users (those not deep into sound
processing, creating music, etc) would notice is the ability for alot of
sound proccessing (various effects, 3d, etc.) to take place on the sound
card itself. It sounds pretty good too.

Another difference (I'm not sure if many other cards in this price range
are able to do this) is that you can send more than one audio stream to
a single device (/dev/dsp), and the driver/hardware will manage it,
removing the need for such progs as esound to mix the streams for you
(although esound is still required in GNOME if you want to use the sound
effects in GNOME).

I have an SBLive! Value, and although I have read of others (on the
driver delelopment mailing list) having problems with the open-source
driver (which are quickly resolved, btw) I have never had problems
compiling/using the open-source drivers. http://opensource.creative.com/

There will be a new closed-source driver available in the near (?)
future that will be able to perform some of the tasks (sound processing)
that are not available in the open-source driver. At least they're not
in it yet.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Value for the uses you stated,
and the low price that I see them going for now ( I paid ~2X the current
going price for mine a while back). The open-source drivers are
available now, and in my experience, work very well for most tasks like
those you mentioned.

If all you want is "really good stereo", you could probably get by on a
lesser card, but the Live! will give you room to grow as well.

HTH...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mitsumi CD-R causes system to freeze
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:41:09 GMT

I have a Adaptec2940AU with the following devices on it ID 1: IBM DCAS-34330
ID 2: Plextor PX40TS ID 5: Mitsumi CDR CR2201CS When I boot linux succesfully
detects the host adapter and HDD and CDROM, but freezes when listing the CD-R
specifications, if I disconnect the CD-R anything works fine. Could this be
related to the fact that my CD-R is the only device on the Bus that uses
asynchronous data transfer. Does anybody know a workaround for this (like
excluding the CD-R from being checked for during startup)?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ISDN "NO DIALTONE"
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:19:52 +0000

YOUR WIFE IS A BIG HIPPO!!  Please quit jeopardy-style posting
(go to news.newusers for hints on how to post to Usenet).

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If I knew that I wouldn't be asking for help!!!!!

To put what I said before more plainly: you haven't even begun to give
enough information to attempt a diagnosis.

--
Nick Kew

We're so advanced here ... our nearest main road is A 386

------------------------------

From: "Ross Contino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ISA modems
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:51:48 -0500

=======_NextPart_000_0024_01BF955D.6CE66980

Hello:

I have a Diamond Supra 56i modem.  Lothar under ISA detection "Modem =
Detected."  However, under the detail screen nothing is listed.  Do I =
have an active modem under Linux, or is there something else I have to =
do?

Later,
Ross

=======_NextPart_000_0024_01BF955D.6CE66980

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a Diamond Supra 56i modem.&nbsp; =
Lothar=20
under ISA detection "Modem Detected."&nbsp; However, under the detail =
screen=20
nothing is listed.&nbsp; Do I have an active modem under Linux, or is =
there=20
something else I have to do?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Later,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ross</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Tellplace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Experience with Advansys SCSI controller?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:10:01 +0100

Experience with Advansys SCSI controller?

Anyone have any experience with Advansys SCSI controller ( pref. 3940)
under Linux (pref. RedHat, Mandrake)?

Tellplace

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: plip problems - no IRQ
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:48:55 GMT

Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm installing plip on my laptop.  According to the plip-howto I must
>find the interface name in dmesg in order to set up the configuration
>files.  Looking into my dmesg I found the message "plip: parport0 has
>no IRQ" instead of something like "plip1: Parallel port at 0x378,
>using assigned IRQ 7"

[...]

There is no actual need for the parallel port driver to be using
an IRQ at all. The standard setup will use a polling driver, which
is perfectly sufficient just for normal printing operations. If
you want to use an IRQ (and you'll have to, for plip to be working),
see "tunelp" for details.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: 512 MB HD BIOS Limit Workaround?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:45:55 GMT

"A. Teutonico" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi there,

>I have an older 486 computer, whose BIOS is limited to hard drives
>of 512 MB max. Is there a way to overcome this limit and install
>larger hard drives?

[...]

As long as you're planning of using that drive with Linux alone,
the limitation is virtually non-existant. Linux (like most decent
operating systems) queries the hardware directly, and doesn't rely
on some obscure BIOS settings of questionable quality.
In case you're planning of installing several OSes on that drive, you
will have to ensure (via parameters passed to each of them) that they
"see" the drive with the same geometry data.

>PS: Does anybody know, where to get 486/33 math co-processors from?

In a garage sale ?

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "ck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: JAZZFREE TIENE NEWS!!!
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:17:06 GMT

news.jazzfree.com

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which of these Ethernet Cards?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:45:11 GMT

> I need to replace a Farallon ethernet card to continue having use of
> my cable modem and am looking for feedback and suggestions on what to
> get.  The card being replaced is a simple PCI 10Base-T card.  What I
> have availabe to me are the following:
> 1) Linksys Etherfast 10\100 LAN Card ~ $27.00
> 2) Netgear FA310TX Card ~ $29.95
> 3) D-Link DFE-530TX Card ~ $37.00
> 4) Intel EitherExpress Pro 10/100 Card ~ $69.00

All of my boxen used DFE530TX NICs.  They run about $15 on
http://buy.com which is why I use them, and they use the via-rhine
chipset (drivers in standard linux kernel, of course).  Intel NICs are
really overpriced and unnecessary for most anybody's use.  I say go with
what you can get cheapest; the tiny performance increase in higher-end
NICs is really only worthwhile in servers where both CPU and network
need continuous use at the top of their thresholds.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SGI Visual Workstation 320
Date: 24 Mar 2000 12:51:54 GMT

www.linux.sgi.com

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Matt Luker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Trying to get DEC VT420 to work
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:03:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jeff Susanj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> There are four parameters that must match between the computer and the
> terminal.  They are baud rate, parity, number of data bits and number of
> stop bits.  Your initab entry indicates 9600 baud.  Is that what the
> terminal is set to?  Normally the other parameters are no parity, 8 data
> bits and 1 stop bit.  'getty' should be able to detect this if you type a
> few characters.

Ok, I got it working.  I changed the entry from the DT38400 stuff to 56700.
As for the terminal, I finally stumbled accross the setup menu (F3) and
found it set to 2400 baud.  I tried setting it higher, but it just wouldn't respond
(but it has settings up to 38400).  There are a lot options in that setup
screen, so I imagine I'm still missing something.

But it DOES WORK.  And that is all that I care about right now.

> The 'vt420' etc.  does't really have anything to do with
> the detection of these parameters.  It is used to determine how to handle
> special control stuff such as cursor positioning and how to interpret
> special keyboard inputs like the arrow keys.

Ah.  Well, that appears to be doing it's trick.

>I often wish I had a real vt
> rather than an emulation.

I must say that I'm beside myself with giddy joy.  It's an amber screen!
I can't remember the last time I saw an amber monochrome.  It's
like having a mainframe terminal in my own basement (and considering
the horsepower in some of my workstations, it is almost like the mainframe
in the good ole college days).

In case you are interested, I'm talking to my buddy who got me this one.
He might have some more.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP 100 ATAPI (or is it IDE?) and Linux RH 6.0
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:05:39 -0500

Dances With Crows wrote:

> IIRC, RedHat 6.0 shipped with 2.2.5   :-(

Just out of curiosity (since I'm running RH6 and 2.2.5-15),
is there some problem with 2.2.5 that I should be aware of?
It seems to work just fine with my system, and I'm a big
believer in the old engineers' mantra "if it works, don't
fix it".

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timer Interrupt
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:15:03 -0500

Shannen wrote:

>         Is there anyway to program timer interrupt of 1 millisecond to about a
> nanosecond in Linux?

I don't know how to program real-time interrupts, but I can tell you
that you have absolutely no hope of programming a 1-nanosecond interrupt
on any operating system on any hardware currently available. Think
about it: most memory you buy for PCs today is rated in a certain
number of nanoseconds simply for the CPU to make one access to the
memory. You would have to have a system running with memory accesses
in tiny fractions of nanoseconds, with corresponding increases in
CPU speed, support chip frequency, et cetera.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory Conflict ---> Can Fast page and EDO live in harmony under
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:19:33 -0500

naz wrote:

> Does Corel Linux supports different memory types?

This is not a software issue. Mixing memory types becomes
an issue at the hardware level, and will affect whatever
OS you're running.

It has been my experience that, even if it works for a
while or at first or under some circumstances, mixing
memory types and/or speeds is a very *bad* idea.
Bite the bullet and populate your box with modules
that are all the same type.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:22:06 -0500

Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:

> since Linux-2.3.51 there is a new problem. [...] cdrecord is using
> SYSv Shared Memory which since 2.3.51 has become a filesystem.  To get
> cdrecord working you need a fstab entry to mount the svsv shared mem
> fs.

Ah. Very interesting. I wasn't aware of this issue, since I have
never experimented with any of the developer-series kernels.
You're right... with the 2.2-series, this isn't an issue. That's
why it works for me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Roediger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion 4440 - Can anyone shed some light?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:28:40 -0700

I have the SiS530 chipset on mine, an NEC and it works just fine with
Xfree86 3.3.3.5  I run both Redhat6.1 and freeBSD and have had no
problems with the SiS chipset. I's an onboard shared chip I can adjust
from 2M to 8M
They do have a web site with updated drivers for the XWindows. It's at
www.sis.com.tw/  goto the us site and look for drivers on the left side,
pick your chipset and D/L them.
Hope this helps
Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Melvaine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox Millenium G400
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:45:35 +1100

Greetings

Anyone know if this card is or soon will be supported in Xfree?

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lp.o and TRUST_IRQ
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:50:28 -0500

Well it worked fine with GS but blew up something fierce under load
using HPGL/2 and large (3MB) plot jobs.  This with an HP350C plotter.

Back to getting the error message with every plot job.

--Yan

--

Think different
        ride a recumbent