Linux-Hardware Digest #542, Volume #9             Tue, 2 Mar 99 00:13:58 EST

Contents:
  Re: Zoom modem and Linux (Andrew Comech)
  ASUS P2B-LS motherboard ok? (Jason T. Breitweg)
  Re: slow refresh in X with svga and XFree86 3.3.2.3 (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Small pump for liquid cooling... (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox (Pascal Goguey)
  Re: Elite Linux machines (was Re: Is there a FAQ concerning the  MaxtorDiamondMax
17.2gb HD?) (the mengsk files)
  Re: Sound card question (Le petit =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9sus?=)
  SmartRAID V Decade (PM1554U2)
  Re: Sound card question (Le petit =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9sus?=)
  Panasonic CF61/62 - I'm the only person in the World with Linux on this laptop?
("SetupName")
  Re: Sound Blaster Live!
  Re: Motherboards? ("Michael W. Ryder")
  Re: Anybody have experience with Acer products (the mengsk files)
  Re: SONY SCSI tape (Blair Lowe)
  soundblaster 16 Pnp in S.U.S.E 6.0 ("Alvin")
  Re: Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller ("JC@Bellsouth")
  Re: RED HAT 5.2 INSTALLATION PROBLEM (John Burton)
  Re: Are you new to Linux? Thne read this ("Snoopy :-))")
  Re: Slackware 3.6 and PCMCIA Cards (James Lewis)
  Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?! (Jerry Lynn Kreps)
  Printing probs with canon lbp8 ("Bell / Shane Anthony (ISE)")
  disk errors ? (wcarol)

From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom modem and Linux
Date: 1 Mar 1999 22:08:53 -0500

If you just want to make sure that the modem can physically
connect at above 40,000, you can try to connect two PCs
with 56K modems directly and call from one to the other...
This procedure is discussed in
http://www.zoltrix.com/linenois.htm

If your modem flies at above 40,000 in windows, look up its
init string. Let me guess: AT+MS=56,1,300,56000 ??? There is really
no way the connection speed would depend on the OS...
Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Jason T. Breitweg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS P2B-LS motherboard ok?
Date: 01 Mar 1999 13:33:38 +0100

Hi folks,

My friend has the ASUS P2B-S motherboard, which has the on-board U2W
SCSI controller and he likes it very much.  I was thinking of getting
the ASUS P2B-LS motherboard which has the same SCSI controller but
also has the on-board Intel 82558 100/10Mbps network card.

Does anyone out there use this motherboard?  I will be running with it
under SuSE 6.0 and *gasp* Win95/98.  Someone mentioned to me some
issues with the on-board network card not working correctly.  I would
appreciate any comments from the educated masses.  Thanks.

Jason

--
+-------------------+------------------------------+
| Jason T. Breitweg | Home:  +49 (0)40 23 80 90 98 |

From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slow refresh in X with svga and XFree86 3.3.2.3
Date: 1 Mar 1999 22:23:40 -0500

;-( a. Can I easeily measure the actual refresh rate somehow?
There is "viewmeter" or something in the menu of the monitor;
on ViewSonic PS775 (just got it today ;-) this menu is activated
by pressing [2]. You'll see there both vertical and horizontal
frequencies.

The fast hack to get the desired frequency could be to pretend that
your monitor could not do refresh below 70Hz or something. This
is NOT SUPPOSED to work (the best refresh was supposed to be found),
but somehow it worked for me. Could you imagine? I've got 640x480
at 60Hz!! So I said this damn ViewSonic could not go below 100Hz,
and things went fine. I am sure my problems were caused by an antique
videocard (SVGA server was fooled), but you could also try something
like that.

Best,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small pump for liquid cooling...
Date: 1 Mar 1999 22:33:45 -0500

I was wondering -- is there some inflammable liquid which would
evaporate at about 40-50C? That is, 100-120 F... It would yield
much more effective cooling of a system (but still condensation
would not be there)..
Do not really know what to suggest as a pump.. there are
some water pumps in cars (windshield washing system), but this
could be too big to fiddle with. I did not mean to sound sexy.
Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Pascal Goguey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:27:35 +0000

Andrew Crowley wrote:

> you need to visit this site download the XFree86 version 3.3.3.1 with server
> for matrox G200 card, the server you need is "SVGA", download the rpm`s and
> install them that way.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh52-errata-general.html#XFree86
>
>  with the the version of XFree86 you have, you will be
> able to run Xwindows using the VGA16 server installed from your red hat CD,
> if you get this server running you could use "glint" to install the
> downloaded packages.
>
> Andrew.

    Thanks! I will try as soon as I get back home.
    But I have another question: At installation time, I have chosen one of the

Matrox drivers, and it is not the right one. So, when I boot, I am in a black
and
white very low resolution mode. Is there a way to set the mode to SVGA?
One way to do it would be to redo the installation from scratch and choose
SVGA at this time, but reconfiguring a driver may be a matter of editing
some config file and reboot, right? Any hint?

    Thanks,

    Pascal Goguey
    Geometre et Saltimbanque

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the mengsk files)
Subject: Re: Elite Linux machines (was Re: Is there a FAQ concerning the
MaxtorDiamondMax 17.2gb HD?)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:19:00 GMT

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:21:55 +1100, Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Promise do make other UDMA controllers and that was what I was referring
>to. They make a simple PCI UDMA controller with two UDMA/EIDE channels
>that is supposedly supported by the Linux Kernel.

I have to admit that is going *way* overboard even for an elite
machine! I wouldn't go near a RAID option with anything short of SCSI.

(As for the rest of this I better not reply and make myself look
stupid...hehe)

/|/|engsk

------------------------------

From: Le petit =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9sus?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Sound card question
Date: 1 Mar 1999 21:47:03 -0600

"teknokr@t" wrote:

> Marc Hering wrote:
>
> > http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
> >
> > Download oss demo and install it,,,if it works then buy it, I usually don't
> > reccommend throwing money at a problem to solve it,,for for $20,  OSS  is
> > worth it's weight in gold for configuring sound cards :)  got my ad1816a
> > noname sound card working no probs
> >
> > "teknokr@t" wrote:
> >
> > > I set up my sound card with following lines in my /etc/conf.modules
> > > files:
> > > alias sound cs4232
> > > options -k cs4232 io=0x260 irq=10 dma=0,1
> > > alias midi opl3
> > > options -k opl3 io=0x388
> > >
> > > This gives me the following message at bootup
> > >
> > > ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> > > ad1848 detect error - step A (ff)
> > >
> > > mpu401.c: I/O port 260 already in use
> > >
> > > YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
> > > 1993-1996
> > >
> > > Now, most of the time the soundcard works fine but on occasion the
> > > bootup process
> > > freezes after diplaying the detect error line. Does anyone know why and
> > > what the error means?
> > > Also how do I get mpu401.c to use a different I/O port?
> > >
> > > thanks
>
>   I'm a bit confused here. I thought linux already came with OSS support.
> Can someone explain what drivers linux is using?
>
> thanks

It sort of works with the older kernel, with the new kernel it works like shit.
I thinks it is a cripple version of OSS. I tried the demo of OSS that works
for 20 minutes and the sound works OK so it seems. Even the midi plugin work with
it. I have an ESS1869 card. I am investigating the Open Sound stuff to see if I
can get it to work before I spend $20 per computer for OSS.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: SmartRAID V Decade (PM1554U2)
Date: 23 Feb 1999 23:37:27 GMT

------------------------------

From: Le petit =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9sus?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: 1 Mar 1999 21:51:10 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
> > >
> > > Download oss demo and install it,,,if it works then buy it, I usually don't
> > > reccommend throwing money at a problem to solve it,,for for $20,  OSS  is
> > > worth it's weight in gold for configuring sound cards :)  got my ad1816a
> > > noname sound card working no probs
>
> Also consider the completely alternative soundcard drivers at
> http://alsa.jcu.cz which are (for the most part) OSS compatible
> and have a number of advantages:
> [1] The documentation is better, both of the API and the source code
> [2] Completely GPL
> [3] You get a user library that handles all of the ioctl() calls for you.
> [4] The buffering system is better thought out and may give better performance.
>
> There are some disadvantages too:
> [1] The author is trying to write a system that is totally future proof and
>     so has made things more complex than OSS in order to ensure that every
>     eventuality is covered (some would think this an advantage but I'm sure
>     that it could be trimmed down a lot).
> [2] Less people use it so it is harder to find someone to help if something
>     won't work.
>
> >   I'm a bit confused here. I thought linux already came with OSS support.
> > Can someone explain what drivers linux is using?
>
> Briefly, the original sound system for Linux was OSS which was originally
> completely GPL. Then the OSS split and released a non-free version with
> extra features and a free version which was bundled with the Linux kernel.
> Then independent development modified the free version as kernel development
> continued so that the current 2.2.2 kernels use an almost-OSS system.

... modified it to make it useless for recording. It plays OK except for the
midi plugins on netscape which don't work anymore.

> The ALSA system was a parallel sideline that has had some small influence
> on the development of the kernel. With the latest kernels, ALSA just uses
> the standard module interface and you can load ALSA modules without
> recompiling anything in the kernel. You can even use the OSS module for a
> while then pull that out and load up the ALSA module without rebooting.

I tried Alsa but I get a device busy on boot. My card is an ES1869.
The 20 OSS demo that lasts 20 minutes works good with the same hardware.

From: "SetupName" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Panasonic CF61/62 - I'm the only person in the World with Linux on this
laptop?
Date: 1 Mar 1999 23:00:54 GMT

I hope not. Please mail me if you have Linux on one of these, then we can
swap
setup details.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: 1 Mar 1999 23:00:21 GMT

> > In the meantime he should be able to use the DB Live! card as an SB-16 for
> > it does emulate SB-16 as far as I know.  At least that's what I've seen
> > on a Win98 installation.

I have heard some nasty comments about the lack of technical documentation
for the SB Live! card. Expect the drivers to be non-free and not to deliver
source code. I won't buy some weird card that won't supply documentation
because it is just too much of a risk.

> Has anyone actually done this?  I'd like to digitize some of my
> cassette bootlegs down to mp3 and I've read that the SB-Live actually
> has fairly decent audio characteristics, especially compared to the
> crummy SB-16 I'm using now.

I'm actually doing some halfway decent recordings with a SB-Vibra16C card,
although I have found that kernel drivers are a big issue and also kernel
version, and the IDE settings. Also, the pre-amp on the card is poor so
if you want to use a mic you need an external pre-amp.

There is one home-grown mp3 at http://www.triode.net.au/~telford/music/
which is just some friends of mine having a laugh but I think you will
find the sound quite crisp. That was just a Vibra16...

I would actually like to share info with other people using soundcards
for recording because it is soo difficult to know what the capabilities
of a soundcard are without actually trying it extensively. Is there a
group who make comparative measurements of soundcards or who can give
a sensible answer as to what you are really getting for your money?

> (Yes, I know I could use Win95, but my only isa/pci machine doesn't
> have a Win partition.)

Win95 is OK if you have enough RAM to buffer the whole sample. It gets
a bit flakey when you want to roll onto hard disk at full recording speed
(i.e. recording a song that is bigger than your available RAM).

I haven't tried Win98 for this, it may be better.

        - Tel

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motherboards?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:01:30 -0800

Juhani Reissell wrote:

> Just did a DejaNews search on this and didn't find much of
> anything. What's the situation with Microstar MSI-6119 and Linux?
> Anybody with any problems? Successes? Also, I'd be interested in
> experiences with the MSI-6120 with the on-board SCSI (Adaptec 7895
> chipset).
>
> While I'm at it, just for the sake of completion, I assume there's no
> problems with the ASUS P2B? And the P2B-S with the on-board SCSI?

I am using the P2B-S with version 2.0.36 and have had no problems.  It
shows my UltraSCSI2 drive at 80 Mb/second.  I could not get the
controller to be recognized with Redhat 5.1 or earlier.

> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> jussi

Michael W. Ryder

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the mengsk files)
Subject: Re: Anybody have experience with Acer products
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:22:30 GMT

On 1 Mar 1999 08:09:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Allen) wrote:

>       If the price seems too good to be true, then either get a guarantee from
>your vendor that the hardware is Linux compatible or returnable (A good idea
>anyway), or have them pre-install it.  It is possible to get a low-cost system
>to run Linux, and low cost doesn't neccesarily mean low tech, but most pre-built
>systems on the shelf are going to be using the popular equipment packaged
>hardware/software, and any cost-cutting in the hardware that the general Windoze
>crowd won't notice is fair game to raise the profit margin.

If you want to buy a system pre-made, I have 2 words for ya:

VA Research: http://varesearch.com

I wish to God I coulda lived in VA and could be working there now.
They're gonna be bazillionaires in ten years or less.

/|/|engsk (sorry I'm using a false address; spammers are relentless
with their damned harvesters!!)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Blair Lowe)
Subject: Re: SONY SCSI tape
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:33:31 -0700

 jav wrote:
> Hi there, I have a SONY TSL-9000 SCSI tape, able to load 8 tape
> cartridges at the same time and rotate them into the tape loader.
> By some reason I can't make it work, when I use mt to ask the status of
> the tape with 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' I only get an 'Operation not
> supported by device' answer, I also test with /dev/nst0 and the same
> again. None of the commands of mt or any other utility to access the
> SCSI tape does work.
>
> Anybody knows if this kind of SCSI multiple tape is supported or do I
> have to modify something in the kernel perhaps??? I'm using kernel
> 2.1.105 with  SCSI support not modular.
>
> Any help. thanks

I had a similar problem with an adaptec scsi controller and an exabyte 8mm
drive.

I had the wrong interupt, and the only way to set it right was to specify
the scsi parameters manually (aha152x=0x340,12,7,1) in the redhat linux
installation (upgrade) option. I suppose what I did was in doing that was
rebuild the kernel.

Here is a before and after look (of the boot messages relating to the SCSI
drives):

Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1
controll
er(s)
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
IRQ=11, S
CSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, ex
tended translation=disabled
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost.
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: aha152x: IRQ 11 possibly wrong.  Please
verify.
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
$Revision: 1.
18 $
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 1,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 1,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 2,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
...[snip]...
 scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 6,
 scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  1 14:30:56 <hostname> kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

<YUK!!!

and here are the syslogs after:>

Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1
controller(s)
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
IRQ=12, S
CSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled,
delay=100, extended translation=disabled
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
$Revision: 1.18 $
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel:   Vendor: EXABYTE   Model: EXB-8505
Rev: 0051
Mar  1 15:54:11 <hostname> kernel:   Type:   Sequential-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02

<Ahhh.>

Hope this helps,
Blair.
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove nospam item in reply address (removethis4reply.) before replying. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Alvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundblaster 16 Pnp in S.U.S.E 6.0
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:52:24 +0800

Hi,
I am newer in linux. And I have a question about SB16 PnP.
How to setup SB16 PnP in SUSE 6.0? Is it need to initialize the ISA board
first? Can anyone help me?
Alvin

------------------------------

From: "JC@Bellsouth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 23:44:52 GMT

I have the same box and the chip it a ncr 537c10.  I've tried lots of
options but nothing yet.  If you find out, let me know.  TIA

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RED HAT 5.2 INSTALLATION PROBLEM
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:17:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <01be634b$a740ee60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Wrus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am having a problem installing red hat 5.2 in computer labs.  Most
> > machines are fine, but about 1/3 of the newer machines crash early in
> > the installation (step 1 or 2 - screen goes dark and system locks
> > up).  Our MIS department (Novell & NT folks) say that LINUX is just
>
>   Are these machines Dells or Gateways or Compaqs or other garbage machines
> with proprietary bioses? They are very problematic -- many companies are
> producing what are essentially "Win-machines" which only work with loser95 or
> NT. Won't run linux, OS/2, or Solaris X86. Sometimes you can play with the
> bios setup and get linux to work, but not the others. The above companies are
> now claiming to support linux, but probably only on some models. We quit
> buying from them long ago after getting burned.  Tell you MIS dept. it's not
> the "new" hardware, it's the crap hardware.

Sorry, but gotta disagree here... We use Linux on our Gateway machines
everyday, the only problem we have had is sometimes the video board is
bleeding edge, and XFree doesn't have an X server for that particular
card. Installing Linux is no problem (we have Pentiums, Pentium Pro's,
Pentium II's, & various laptops, and never had any problem with them
outside the X video driver.

BTW, there are a couple of known bugs in the RedHat Installation
routines which will lock the system up during install...you need to
install in expert mode & force load the support diskette... after that
the install should run smoothly...

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "Snoopy :-))" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Are you new to Linux? Thne read this
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:32:42 -0500

Accept My Congradulations :-))
I am sure that the Newbies who will be fortunate enough to read your Post
and go to the suggested Link will probobly remember you with gratitude for a
long time.
The Tutorial & Guide to which you are reffering to is probobly one of the
Best Begginer Guide in the World( written by Matt Welsh etc. he is also one
of the authors of the highly recommended book="Running Linux").
The Link you gave is very good for Online Reading, But I've found another
Place on the Web which I think is even better, since here you can find the
above mentioned Guide and also download the whole Guide in many different
Formats (I prefer the HTML) in addition you will find many other Goodies
:-))
Here it is:  http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ldp.html
There is another site which I highly recommend.  "Eric Raymond's" home page.
If you are wondering who he is, in that case you are a Newbie for sure.  But
I can assure you, that spending a little time at his page will definatelly
put a fire under you regarding not wanting to be a Newbie for to long.
Ofcourse you will also discover the reason as to why he is so admired by
those who count, and why he is considered to be One of the Top Gurus in the
World.  His FAQ Collection should definatelly be considered as a Bible for
Newbies!!!!!
Here is the Link: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/
Your opinion will be welcomed
Best regards
Snoopy :-))  :-))

------------------------------

From: James Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Slackware 3.6 and PCMCIA Cards
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 18:55:46 -0500

"William P. Niner" wrote:

> Etherlink III 3C589D).   I attempt to start PCMCIA services and get an
> error message:  "unresolved symbol: apm_register_callback".  Any
> thoughts?

Have you complied the kernel with APM support?

-James

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?!
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:42:50 -0600

Don't forget the external Zoom V90 56k FaxModem.  Excellent device.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:50:33 +1100
From: "Bell / Shane Anthony (ISE)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing probs with canon lbp8

G'day,

I have a canon "lbp-8 mark III T" laser printer that I am trying to get to
print under linux using ghostscript, but when I set the device to lbp8 it
just prints crap to the printer. The lbp8 driver is for the lbp8-II series
of printers, but mine is a III (ie newer) and it doesn't seem to work.
Does anyone know where I can get a driver for it that I can build into
ghostscript or a compatible driver that I can use, or any way at all that
I can get it to print postscript??? (plain text is no problem!)

Thanks,
Shane.

------------------------------

Subject: disk errors ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wcarol)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 00:10:19 GMT

I am having a problem with my linix system. I installed
Red Hat 5.2 about 2 weeks ago and everything apeared to be
working corectly. I then tried to install staroffice.
When installing I got a zip archive checksum error.
I figured out whenever I copy a large file on my disk I get
bit errors. The below example shows my problem. I 'cp' a 65MB
file and then compare the two files and they are not the same.
When I run the compare several time I get some different errors.
I thought this might be a disk problem so I reran the cp test on
my mounted dos disk d:. This is a different disk on the 2nd IDE cable.
I still have the same problem. If I run the test after booting up
in dos using 'copy' and 'fc' it is good.
The failures always seem to be on an odd address ? and are 1 or 2 bits
in a byte.
Does anyone have any sugestions on how I can solve this problem?
Regards Rick Workover '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Mon Mar  1 15:45:08 PST 1999

The below shows the results of cmp and cksum on several runs of cmp an cksum.

-rw-r--r--   1 rickw    users    65603584 Feb 27 18:10 so501_01.tar
[rickw@lucky staroffice]$ cp so501_01.tar so501_01.tar.1

[rickw@lucky staroffice]$ cmp -l so501_01.tar so501_01.tar.1
 57395  15  14
17166939 234 224

cmp -l so501_01.tar so501_01.tar.1
 57395  15  14

cmp -l so501_01.tar so501_01.tar.1
 57395  15  14
23665291 126 136

-rw-r--r--   1 rickw    users    65603584 Feb 27 18:10 so501_01.tar
-rw-r--r--   1 rickw    users    65603584 Mar  1 15:12 so501_01.tar.1
[rickw@lucky staroffice]$ cksum so501_01.tar
1832056809 65603584 so501_01.tar

cksum so501_01.tar
1832056809 65603584 so501_01.tar