  Re: realigning partitions to cylinder boundaries : sfdisk? (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Attila Schmidt)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH6.1 + All-In-Wonder 128 + Sony Multiscan 15sf
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:21:50 GMT

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:40:37 GMT, "Sam Beirne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I believe you need to install special drivers.  I'm having the same problem
>with another 128 card.  It is either the xrage.rpm or xsvga.rpm.  Those
>should solve the problem.
>Radio893fm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:87tbue$51i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I have tried to configure them and not working...
>>
>> I upgraded Xfree86 to 3.3.6 and follow every step and nothing...
>>
>> i have switched various config and nothing
>>
>> last time i got this message
>> Fatal server error:
>> no screens found
>>
>> thanks a lot for any help

i run my all in wonder rage128 16megs card through the framebuffer
(FBDev) and it works great.  i have the exact same setup as you
(rh6.1, rage128, sony 15sf) and here's how i got it to work :
http://www.rickrichardson.freeservers.com/linux/rh60vesafb.html

------------------------------

From: "Jarek \"Krusher\" Onuszko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP QUAKE2
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:41:16 GMT

i'm trying to run q2 on my rh6.1 with v3 2000. everything works fine till i
restart vidmode or sth. then keyborad and mouse lock up, I can do nothing
but reboot (using reset of coz) what's the cause of this fcking problem ?

                              Jarek "Krusher" Onuszko
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     www.vwclan.prv.pl
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://q2.kawiarenka.com.pl
                                      UIN: 13305122

------------------------------

From: Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.local.linux.redhat.alpha,comp.os.linux.hardawe,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.news.groups
Subject: Re: New Athlon 700 Box
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:15:18 +0200

Antonio wrote:
> Please excuse a newbie
> I am not sure this is the proper way to ask a question.
> I have researched for some time all the hardware configurations and news
> posts, I have also looked in the AMD site. I would appreciate any comments
> or suggestions you might have, and most important why.
>  I want to run win95 as well as many distributions of Linux as I can in my
> learning process of Linux.
> Here is what I intend on getting.
>
> Athlon 700 $263 or dual Celeron 533 $246

Go for the Athlon - I got one: Great!

> 256MB PC 100 SDRAM 8ns $230

Check out the PC 133 Ram, with the new Athlon chip set faster.

> Teac 4x4x32 CD-RW INT IDE  $247

I got the Yamaha 8424E 8x4x40, works fine, 8x burning without a hastle

> Board ASUS K7M AMD-751 CHIPSET ATX WITH AUDIO OR WITHOUT $159

Heard about Problems with the K7, go for the Gigabyte Athlonboard, I got on,
love it!

> IBM 20.5 GB Deskstar GXP 7200 RPM AT/66 2MB cache $166

Cool!

> Sparkle 300W ATX PS Fan out (AMD approved) MIDTOWER $38
>
> Sound blaster Live Value CT4830 $46.75
>
> 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 16 MG AGP $122.50

Rest seems ok, don't forget the internal zip!

--

Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://www.HenrikBecker.de

support FREE SOFTWARE www.KDE.org www.WINDOWMAKER.org www.LINUX.org

dt. J-Pilot Handbuch fertig: http://www.henrikbecker.de/jpilot

------------------------------

From: "Jan & Astrid Mulder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Canon BJC7000
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:11:42 +0200

Is any device driver (not the BJc800) available for this printer ?
If so, where can I get this driver ?

Jan Mulder   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Young)
Date: 28 Mar 2000 15:11:47 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William L. Hartzell) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Yes;
>Stores here allow us to return for in-store credit memory (15 day time
>limit) towards another purchase.  Buy what you think will work, try it.
>However it works, you just became the expert, instead of relying on
>third hand info.  It seems that there is no one who has tried your
>scenario and is will to report.  So whatever you do, please report.
>Bill

Just got a used 16mb EDO simm from EBay, thru it in printer
Now have 20mb in my Optra 40 and it works great.
--
Remove X to reply [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP QUAKE2
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:35:38 +0100

Jarek \"Krusher\" Onuszko wrote:

> i'm trying to run q2 on my rh6.1 with v3 2000. everything works fine till i
> restart vidmode or sth. then keyborad and mouse lock up, I can do nothing
> but reboot (using reset of coz) what's the cause of this fcking problem ?
>
> --
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                               Jarek "Krusher" Onuszko
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     www.vwclan.prv.pl
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://q2.kawiarenka.com.pl
>                                       UIN: 13305122

Try disconnecting the monitor cable from the voodoo card and connect directly
your VGA card. You may see some errors that give you a clue and it may
be that you don't need to reboot.

Regards,
  Richard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wayne Ware)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:38:18 GMT

     <8bjnb8$agg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     <8blfek$qcn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<8blpeu$u7h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We also sell the Optra Color 45 inkjet printer that does Postscript level 2.
It also supports 11x17 media.

Wayne Ware
Development Alliances
Lexmark International, Inc.

In article <8blpeu$u7h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Linux as a terminal
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:44:17 GMT

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:40:29 -0600, Dave Waller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:

>I have a couple of IBM AIX boxes that HAVE to have a terminal attached
>to them.  Can I use a virtual terminal on a linux box as the terminal?
>
>What I would like is a cable coming out of the AIX box going into the
>serial port of my Linux box and then I hit {ctrl}{alt}{f6} and I am on
>onb box and {ctrl}{alt}{f5} to get the other.

It would certainly be possible to replace the VT's getty with a terminal
program.  Most terminal programs allow the user to shell-out and/or save
files locally.  For security purposes you would be better off leaving the
VT login process as-is and creating severely restricted users that have
Minicom (or some suitable replacement) as their login shell.  That way you
simply select the VT you want to be a terminal and login as aix1 or aix2
(for example) to establish the connection.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: SCSI tape jukebox: how to change tape?
Date: 28 Mar 2000 20:23:19 +0100

Hiya,

I have a Sony TSL-9000 DAT autoloader, that holds eight tapes. What I cannot
work out how to do is how to get the device to change tape. When the SCSI
is probed, it reports two luns on the device: 0, which is sequential access,
and 1, which is marked as a media changer - is there a standard way to change
tapes, or is it device specific (ie, will I have to look to Sony for a
solution?). I have a feeling I should be able to use lun 1 with ease,
but I can't find anything (yet) to do this.

Any help apprecaited :) Thanks :)

Chris...

--
@}-,'--------------------------------------------------  Chris Johnson --'-{@
    / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:45:17 +0100

Dave Waller wrote:

> I have a couple of IBM AIX boxes that HAVE to have a terminal attached
> to them.  Can I use a virtual terminal on a linux box as the terminal?
>
> What I would like is a cable coming out of the AIX box going into the
> serial port of my Linux box and then I hit {ctrl}{alt}{f6} and I am on
> onb box and {ctrl}{alt}{f5} to get the other.
>
> Dave Waller

 I have done a similar thing with my Sun Sparcstations and a PC. Connect
the
IBMs to the serial ports on the PC using NULL MODEM cables (not straight
through)
and log in on one virtual terminal. You can then use minicom from the
virtual terminal
to talk to one machine, you may find helpful to save the settings for
each port/machine
so you can start the serial comm's session simply by typing "minicom
aix1" where aix1
is the saved settings for AIX machine 1.

 You can then repeat the process on another virtual terminal, logging in
and connecting
say to AIX machine 2. Then you may simply switch between them using the
ctrl-alt-f2
or whatever key presses.

 Note that the virtual terminals are not actually terminals in the sense
of serial connections,
but are a means of logging in and executing commands without the use of
such serial terminals.

 Regards,
  Richard.

------------------------------

From: Andries Brouwer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: realigning partitions to cylinder boundaries : sfdisk?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:37:24 GMT

Shashi Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: to summarize my problem: i just want to use some of that blank space
: between cyl 524 and 997 for freebsd and openbsd slices. how can i do it?

: output of sfdisk -d /dev/hda:

: # partition table of /dev/hda
: unit: sectors

: /dev/hda1 : start=       63, size= 8401932, Id= b
: /dev/hda2 : start=  8401995, size=27005265, Id= 5, bootable
: /dev/hda3 : start=        0, size=       0, Id= 0
: /dev/hda4 : start=        0, size=       0, Id= 0
: /dev/hda5 : start= 22025178, size= 6297417, Id=83
: /dev/hda6 : start= 28322658, size= 4208967, Id=83
: /dev/hda7 : start= 32531688, size= 2875572, Id=83
: /dev/hda8 : start= 16016805, size=  417690, Id=83
: /dev/hda9 : start= 16434558, size=  273042, Id=82
: /dev/hda10: start= 16707663, size= 4289292, Id=83
: /dev/hda11: start= 20997018, size= 1028097, Id=83

/dev/hda2 is the box containing your logical partitions
hda5-hda11. Increase the starting value 8401995
and decrease the size 27005265 by the same amount.
(If you have a boot loader there you will have to reinstall
that of course.)
For example, use
  /dev/hda2 : start= 16000740, size=19406520, Id= 5

(And if things do not start on a cylinder boundary,
that doesnt matter at all.)

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun 21" X7121A monitor?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:52:14 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anyone have the specs for the Sun 21" X7121A display (GDM-5010PT).
> I've looked everywhere, and can't seem to find any. I want to use this
> display with XFree, so any Horiz/Vert rates or config much appreciated!
> Tx,

> Before you buy.

 Are you using a Sun machine? If so it doesn't matter as XFree86 knows
what your framebuffer
will support and the monitor has sense outputs so the best rate/resolution
supported by them both
will be used automatically. You don't need to mess around like you have to
on a PC.

 Richard.

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI tape jukebox: how to change tape?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:52:36 -0600

Chris J/#6 wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I have a Sony TSL-9000 DAT autoloader, that holds eight tapes. What I cannot
> work out how to do is how to get the device to change tape. When the SCSI
> is probed, it reports two luns on the device: 0, which is sequential access,
> and 1, which is marked as a media changer - is there a standard way to change
> tapes, or is it device specific (ie, will I have to look to Sony for a
> solution?). I have a feeling I should be able to use lun 1 with ease,
> but I can't find anything (yet) to do this.
>
> Any help apprecaited :) Thanks :)
>
> Chris...
>
> --
> @}-,'--------------------------------------------------  Chris Johnson --'-{@
>     / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \
>    / between Sex and Gender. Therein lies the key  /                       \
>   / to our freedom" -- LB                         / www.nccnet.co.uk/~sixie \

You might take a look at www.arkeia.com they have an SCSI backup
software program that you can download for free.

Just an idea.
--
Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
Thank the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (final)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: 28 Mar 2000 12:25:44 -0500

Barry Dean has said that...
  :Dan Allen wrote:
  :>
  :> Allelulia!!!  Well said.  Let me just tell you a bit about Windoze!  Screw
  :> windows!!  You know, the part about learning the hacks until you realize
  :> that you don't really know anything, rather you just know how to run some
  :> program that will do what you want with Windows is the truth.  I am an
  :> extremely new user to linux, but I am going to learn this shit if it kills
  :> be or not because I have had it with windows!!!!
  :
  :I only feel stressed in work when I have to use Windows NT only.
  :
  :Whenever possible I use Solaris and Linux applications to prevent
  :"Computer Rage", headaches and palputations.
  :
  :I recently upgraded (if this is the right term!) to Windoze 2000. Within
  :4 hours, explorer crashed leaving me with no start bar, Internet
  :Explorer crashed before completely drawing it's window, despite Task
  :Manager saying it was running fine, eXceed crashed for the first time
  :ever in my experience and Visual Studio thinks the date is 1900 - way to
  :go! A reboot required after 4 hours uptime!
  :
  :

I once clean-installed Win98, and the *very first* program I started, MSIE4,
on the *very first* URL that I typed in, crashed and locked up the "Operating
System", requiring reboot. The *very first* uptime of the new installation
was less than 5 minutes ending with an involuntary reboot. Now *that's*
stability. ;)

final

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I install my modem???
Date: 28 Mar 2000 22:13:00 GMT

seb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Wvdialconf can't find my modem. I'm very new to Linux. I have just installed

It doesn't look for it. That'll change.

: Linux Red Hat 6.0 for the first time and I want to be able to use my modem.

Use it, then. Read the Modem-HOWTO.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hardware problems?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:19:30 GMT

Hi,
        I'm planning to buy the new ASUS K7V motherboard + ASUS GeoForce PURE
graphics card. I would like to know if I can run LINUX without any
install/compatibility issues.
        Please respond directly to my email address. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Dmitry Litvintsev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: CD Burning
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:25:18 -0500

Hi Folks,

Scrolling thru various 'howto's on how to make audio CD  I've come to
the conclusion that the only way to make your
own custom CD is:
    1) rip original CD converting cdda -> wav format
    2) burn your own CD converting the file back from wav -> cdda
The question is - why one needs to do unnecessary encoding/decoding?
Isn't it possible just to make an
'image' of original CD on the harddisk and then transfer it on new CD?

regards,
Dmitry

------------------------------

From: "btinternet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise FastTrak 66 RAID controller
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:55:43 -0000

I am interested in this as i run a dual boot system and came across
some thing about altering cheap promise ide controlers(add 100 ohm resistor
and its a fastrak).
i thought i could then run it in win and linux?? the article was on a SMP
page somewhere.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:09:23 GMT

Shashi Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>/dev/hda5 : start= 22025178, size= 6297417, Id=83

>/dev/hda8 : start= 16016805, size=  417690, Id=83

>and finally, the evidence for the non-cylinder aligns:
>sfdisk -l -V /dev/hda:
>
>Disk /dev/hda: 2204 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
>Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0
>
>   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls   #blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hda1          0+    522     523-  4200966    b  Win95 FAT32
>/dev/hda2   *    523    2203    1681  13502632+   5  Extended
>/dev/hda3          0       -       0         0    0  Empty
>/dev/hda4          0       -       0         0    0  Empty
>/dev/hda5       1371+   1762     392-  3148708+  83  Linux
>/dev/hda6       1763+   2024     262-  2104483+  83  Linux
>/dev/hda7       2025+   2203     179-  1437786   83  Linux
>/dev/hda8        997    1022      26    208845   83  Linux
>/dev/hda9       1023+   1039      17-   136521   82  Linux swap
>/dev/hda10      1040+   1306     267-  2144646   83  Linux
>/dev/hda11      1307+   1370      64-   514048+  83  Linux
>Warning: partition 5 does not start at a cylinder boundary

hda5 does, since sector 22025178 is CHS 1371/1/1, which is as
expected. hda8 beginning sector 16016805 however is not, since this is
CHS 997/0/1, and a logical partition is expected to begin head 1.

It should be possible to let the extended partition begin 0 based
cylinder 996. This is however not a trivial task.

Another possibility would be to change hda8 to a primary partition and
let the extended partition begin cylinder 1023. This would change the
logical numbering. Still not a trivial task.

It might be possible to copy then content of hda8 to a new primary
partition, delete hda8, use parted, recreate hda8, and copy the
content back. I do not know. Keep backup.

The following might not help, but since I took the time to find out:

I looked at Linux partitioning tools to find a command which would
provide exact information about the partition link chain. The only
thing I found was this:

fdisk /dev/hda

or to redirect the output to a file:

fdisk /dev/hda > output.txt

This should give useable, but not very easy interpretable information.

In this case it is potential trouble to have an extended partition
type 05 above 0 based cylinder 1023. It should be 0F or 85 (the latter
not recognized by DOS/Windows.
--
Svend Olaf