From: Frank Stratmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help burning CD's
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:11:45 +0200

Rich Mesek schrieb:

> I'm stumped. I am unable to burn CD's in Linux even though I can burn
> them in Windows with my SCSI Philips CDD2600 CDwriter. I've recompiled
> my kernel 2.2.13 with SCSI support built in, loaded the sg0 and loop
> modules, read all the How-tos and FAQ's, and searched the newsgroups. My
> CDR can read and play CD's in Linux and even burned a CD once but aside
> from the one time, whenever I try to burn a CD, Linux freezes and I have
> to reboot.
>
> How does the CDwriter which is assigned to /dev/scd0 use /dev/sg0 to
> write CD's? Is there something I need to do with sg0 beside loading it
> as a module? Can anyone help, please.
>
> Rich
Just a short guess: You have compiled in SCSI Support, but have you also
turned on "generic scsi support"? This is needed by i.e. cdrecord.

bye
 Frank

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amptron Motherboard compatibility?
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 05:17:26 -0700

hmmm... I just read Scott's reply - sounds like incredibly bad luck.

I actually have three M748LMRT boards with *all* hardware working fine...
including winmodems - and I have no complaints.

I'm curious if the problem computers were using ATX power supplies.
Personally... I have never wanted ATX... and always opt for AT power
supplies.

I *do not* agree with the graphics configuration that Amptron suggests - I
use XFree86-3.3.6.. and in combination with 'sax' w/SuSE... card is
automagically detected to use the svga server.  If Amptron would look in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.SiS... some of the options they are specifying
in /etc/XF86Config are already defaults.  The Xsis.rpm/.tgz is pretty old
now - was nice when it was the first support option - but I've had weird
color problems with Netscape using that driver.

I don't agree with the Option "noaccel"... as that will lock up my system
*every* time.

I use  Option "fast_vram" and Option "pci_burst_on"... running 16-bit color
for best acceleration.

For the sound (C-Media 8738 - cmpci.o) and ethernet (Davicom9102 - dmfe.o),
the drivers for *my* board are already included w/SuSE 6.3.  As I mentioned
above - the winmodems are also working...

I have seen the modem drivers at 'David's Support Site' - sorry I don't have
the URL handy - (claims to be primary Amptron tech?) in binary form - and
was enticed by the newer version in comparison to the drivers I use - but
the binaries didn't work for me... and I reverted to the older drivers I
already had working... compiled from source.

Am I being subtle about ripping the Amptron info?  These boards seem to be
labeled differently depending on vendor... and alternate information is
available in several places - Amptron being my *least* favorite.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Michael I. Shestyriov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: unholy floppy problems!
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:54:37 +0300

Hi!

My one works fine. Kernel and modules are customized, compiled
from the sources with debian patches, no patches from myself,
configure only. HW is AS255/4/233. FAT & VFAT support are built as
modules

Aries:/home/mix# mount -v -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy/
mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/fd0
       I will try all types mentioned in /etc/filesystems or
/proc/filesystems
Trying vfat
/dev/fd0 on /floppy type vfat (rw)
Aries:/home/mix# uname -a
Linux Aries 2.2.14 #2 Sat Mar 25 18:58:44 MSK 2000 alpha unknown
Aries:/home/mix# ls -l /floppy/
total 97
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        47616 Feb 16 12:09
MTG_AAA_2_proto.doc
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        51712 Mar 24 08:38 qqq.doc
Aries:/home/mix# cat /etc/debian_version
2.2
Aries:/home/mix# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_iso8859-1           3680   1  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               5176   1  (autoclean)
vfat                   17048   1  (autoclean)
fat                    47720   1  (autoclean) [vfat]
floppy                 70168   1  (autoclean)
serial                 29048   0  (autoclean) (unused)
binfmt_aout             6120   2  (autoclean)
lockd                  53744   1  (autoclean)
sunrpc                 84104   1  (autoclean) [lockd]
old_tulip              38576   1

--
Michael I. Shestyriov
CCIE #3202

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Fleming)
Subject: LS-120 problems
Date: 6 Apr 2000 12:34:44 GMT

Linux-meisters,

I was hoping someone could help me with problems I've been having with
a Mitsubishi LS-120 drive.  I have installed the drive in a computer
that is about 2 years old. I have just upgraded the BIOS. The computer
has a number of SCSI peripherals, an IDE HD, and the IDE LS-120. At
the moment, the IDE HD is set to be the master of the second IDE
channel, and the LS-120 is the master of the first (I have tried other
configurations but they don't work any better).  The BIOS reports all
the SCSI devices and both IDE devices correctly. Under Windows NT, the
LS-120 is identified as a second floppy drive, and I can read from it,
write to it, and format it (at least with standard floppies; I don't
have any of the high density media on hand at the moment).  However,
with Linux, the following problems occur:

1. I can't boot off the LS-120 - at least not when the IDE HD is
connected.  Under these conditions, LILO hangs at LI. If I try to use
a boot disk instead, I get a message about "invalid compressed format"
or something like that. Oddly, when the IDE HD is removed from the
system, I can boot from the LS-120.

2. I am unable to mount DOS floppies with: mount /dev/hdc4. I get
various error messages.

3. I have tried to create a ext2 fs on a floppy using the LS-120 with:
fdisk /dev/hdc ; mke2fs /dev/hdc1.

When I tried this several times, either fdisk or mke2fs would hang.

These latter two problems occur even without the IDE HD connected.

I am running a 2.2.14 kernel with SMP support. I rebuilt the kernel to
support the LS-120, so that it would have ide-floppy support, and
indeed fdisk or mke2fs (I can't remember which) identifies it as an
ide-floppy.

You assistance much appreciated,

Matthew Fleming
Matthew G. Fleming, MD                  phone : 414.456.4072
Associate Professor                     fax   : 414.456.6518
Department of Dermatology               s-mail: Dept. of Dermatology
Medical College of Wisconsin                    Medical College of Wisconsin
                                                MFRC Room 4061
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Milwaukee, WI 53226-4810

From: nospam/?@?!$£
Subject: XWAVE 3000 PCI SOUNDCARD
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:41:50 +0100

Hi,

I have a Xwave300 PCI Soundcard, it is picked up by sndconfig in Linux
mandrake or redhat, but I can not get it to work.

Has anyone got this to work and if so how

When will it be included

thanks

mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Subject: Re: Problems with new memory module
Date: 6 Apr 2000 12:36:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ray  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[about memory faults]
>       Absolutely, I have seen that too. What a bear to track down. A double
>bear becasue almost always, the issue will NOT arise when running
>winders. Only in Linux. No idea why that is

I have had similar problems. I expect it is simply that Linux has a
longer memory for what executables etc it already has in RAM, whilst
windows perhaps reloads stuff more than necessary (it must be doing
something to grind the hard drive !). Hence a memory fault
would make Linux fall over more.

By the way, my problem was with 2x16M and 2*8M EDO sims in an intel TX
based board - it was stable with either set of sims, but not both.
I assumed it was a faulty motherboard.

Tony.

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Problem
Date: 6 Apr 2000 12:36:48 GMT

Actually, you need to edit what's known as a "chatscript".
This is the script that talks over your modem to your ISP.
You should be able to find the default chatscript here:
/etc/chatscripts/provider
If you edit that file, you should find places to enter your
username and password.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGuest?ans_id=12607&cus_id=USENET

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: should I worry about IRQ timeouts?
Date: 6 Apr 2000 12:37:40 GMT

This seems a fairly normal thing and happens quite normally on
most systems -- just part of the way IDE works.
You won't lose any data, and the worst thing that will ever
happen is the harddrive will pause for a microsecond before
accessing.
It's something that happens under other OSes too -- but they
aren't nice enough to tell you about it  :)

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGuest?ans_id=12609&cus_id=USENET

------------------------------

From: James Pinkster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Creative 128PCI problem
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:14:03 +0000

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you can guess, I cannot install this card on my PC.
>
> I compiled the kernel and included support for Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
> 97 (ES1371).
> I booted the new kernel, and lsmod says:
>
> es1371          27712   0
> soundcore       2340    4 [es1371]
>
> But I have the usual symptoms:
> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
>
> And of course there is no music!
>
> Any ideas?

try doing a
cat /proc/pci

if the PCI128 looks like it is sitting on top of another card you may have
to change it to another slot

i had to do this because it was conflicting with my network card

James

------------------------------

From: "David Rencher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: high altitude modern systems performance
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:52:21 -0600

Have you ever thought of buying an Etcha Sketch and a mechanical type
writer?  Those probably wouldn't give you too much trouble.

There are special laptops for environmental conditions.  Some are sealed for
water proof up to 10,000 feet below the water level.  They cost a freaking
fortune but it might solve some of your issues.

If it is a pressure issue in the chips you might look into how groups like
NASA, the NAVY, and the airlines deal with this issue.  I mean those guys
all fly in excess of 30,000 feet with computer equipment.  I can't believe
that they have these kind of issues.  I'm wondering if they have specially
built equipment for low pressure environments.  (NASA shoule be fairly
obvious in that regard.)

Good luck, and watch out for those bears.  I've had that happen too and bear
attacks sort of suck.

Dave

------------------------------

From: Garry Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: upgrade nec powermate p166?
Date: 6 Apr 2000 13:55:36 GMT

I have a NEC Powermate P166 which is now loaded to the ceiling and
running low on grunt. Grunt is the problem.

I have been told by local shops that there is no practical way to
upgrade this machine other than replacing the mother board and all
that entails. I'm rather less than convinced. So, has anyone
successfully changed cpu's or other enhancements?

I can't seem to find a guide to upgrading in this context on the web.
Can anyone point me to where it/they are?

------------------------------

From: Paul Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:12:31 -0400

To Rubin:

I had a similar problem with Red Hat 6.1 (Pentium II system). Here's what I
did:

I created a new floppy directory, /mnt/floppy0. (I also created /mnt/floppy1
because I have a dual-floppy system, one for ext2fs & one for msdos).

Then I edited the floppy entries in /etc/fstab so that it reads:

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy0        ext2        noauto,owner        0   0
/dev/fd1        /mnt/floppy1        msdos     noauto,owner        0   0

I can now mount with the following command:

mount -t  ext2  /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy0

or I can mount with GNOME's User Mount Tool

Hey, I'm a newbie...I don't know why it worked, but it did (actually, if
anyone can tell me why it worked, that'd be great). Hope this helps.

psw

------------------------------

From: "David Rencher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Abit BP6
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:59:21 -0600

I never saw that error Peter.
Peter Karlsson wrote in message <8cg7v1$ofh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "David Rencher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>Hi. Hate to be the one to report it, but I was just reading
>>>a web site yesterday, which reports on compatibility of hardware
>>>with Linux, and I was checking out the Abit BP6 because I wanted
>>>to get one, with dual Celerons, of course.
>>>Well, the nasty gotcha was, "If you run both CPUs at more than
>>>85% of capacity simultaneously, then data corruption does occur.
>>>It seems that the BP6 doesn't have quite enough front-side bus
>>>"bandwidth" to run both CPUs at full utilization."
>>>I was very sad to read that, and immediately decided to look
>>>elsewhere for dual Celerons.  (Alas, can't remember the URL,
>>>but you should be able to find it with a web search.)
>>>
>>>What you are reporting is exactly what he reported: have several
>>>programs running, and max out both processors, and data corruption
>>>occurs.
>>>

>>>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>>>Before you buy.
>>
>> I seriously doubt the validity of that article.  I have a BP6 with both
>> processors over clocked from 400 to 570.  I've run Linux on it and put a
>> full 100% load on both processors and never had any problems at all.
>> Admitedly the load was SETI@HOME so I can't say that I really tested this
>> claim but both processors were running at 100% and I never once had a
>> problem outside of a silly power supply rebooting the system once in a
>> while.
>
>Well when I saw this posting I did a search on altavista, and it turns out
that there are quite a few out there that do have problems with stability on
the bp6. I have a bp6 and have also never experienced any instability
problems, though I rarely tend to push it to the max. Could this be
different revisions or maybe abit has problem with quality control (some are
bad some are good and I'm one of the lucky ones)? I've never had any luck in
overclocking my 2X366 though, but it's not a problem for me... The only
issue I have with this is that there seems to be some IRQ shortage. Btw I do
have some "problem"; every time I boot i get this message:  kernel:  IO-APIC
(apicid-pin) 2-0, 2-5, 2-9, 2-10, 2-11, 2-20, 2-21, 2-22, 2-23 not
connected. Do you get the same message and what does it mean?

>As a small sidenote, MSI is coming out with some "kickass" dual fcpga m/b
based on via's latest and greatest. There's some brief specs on msi's
homepage (frontpage graphic only) www.msi.com.tw ... for the interested.

------------------------------

From: "David Rencher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:02:27 -0600

Hal,
I'm the guy with the 400s OCd to 570.  In case you didn't read my post all
the way I said it WAS stable at that level.  It's not stable at 582 but
that's to be exptected.

At 400, at 500, at 550, at 570, my BP6 is stable running any OS with a full
load on both processors.

I also never mentioned anything about SMP1.1 or MPS1.1 or any kernel
revisions.

From: Parminder Lehal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: drivers for HP7200e CDRW
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 09:40:42 -0400

Hello,

I am looking for drivers fro my HP 7200e (external) Cd RW.
This is the only thing which is making me keep WINxx on my
computer. Help Please.................

Thanks,

P.S. Lehal