From: "Kay Foerster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: AV Master - Linux
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:12:19 +0200

Hello!

I bought an AV Master Video Card and I am now trying to install it under
Linux. Has anyone got some experience on how to configure it, and what kind
of software I should install and use?

If you have got some tips for me, please send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and to this newsgroup.

Thank you very much in advance
    Kay Foerster

------------------------------

From: Diethard Ohrt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PnP soundcard: ALSA/linnix -- partial success
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:16:23 +0200

Since this posting is a little bit too long (is it?), I write these two
remaining questions on top:
1) ALSA: Is the module snd-timer kind of superfluous? For explanation,
read further ...
2) Without X (runlevel 2 in SuSE), .wav files are played slow and deep.
With the desktop started, they sound o.k. -- what's this behavior?

Edward Lee wrote:

> Have you tried the pre-compiled set of kernel and modules?  You should
> install 2.2.14 anyway.  2.2.15 is still too new for ppp, but that's a
> different story.

I didn't want to use a new kernel, just wanted to install the modules
hoping this would be fairly easy ...

BTW, I mixed something, seems I was confused when I posted this:
There is no als100 with the ALSA drivers, that one belongs to the linnix
distribution ...

Meanwhile I had kind of success with the ALSA modules:
At the end of "make install" for the "driver" part, there is a "depmod
-a 2.2.10" call, which issues the following error messages:
depmod: can't handle sections of type 1537
depmod: not an ELF file
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.10/fs/ext2.o
[...]
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-card-opl3sa2.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-card-sgalaxy.o
[...]
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-seq.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-timer.o
[...]

And a "modprobe snd-card-sb16 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1" produces:
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-timer.o: unresolved symbol waitqueue_lock
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-timer.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-timer.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.10/misc/snd-timer.o: insmod snd-card-sb16 failed

But when I issued a "utils/insert sb", after the 2nd attempt it worked,
complaining about unresolved symbols in snd-timer.o, removing something
(this timer stuff, I guess); but /dev/soundstat seems o.k. (it contains
a line showing some association of timer and "system clock").

So snd-timer isn't really needed?

Diethard
SIEMENS AG/PSE EZE CN1, A-8054 Graz, Austria
Tel.: (+43) (0)51707-63709
Fax:  (+43) (0)51707-58692

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computer stays off at power outage.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:12:11 +0200

Hi
Youīre right with the toggle button. All ATX boards donīt have a real
power switch, but a soft key. Thatīs why your OS can turn off the
computer when shutting down.
But regarding your problem: There should be a BIOS setting to select the
behavior when the box receives power. If there isnīt any, you can
probably set a jumper on your board.

Tom

--
=========================
Thomas Hommel

------------------------------

From: "SLAVISA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix,fon.hardware,yu.os.unix,yu.racunari
Subject: Re: UNIX - Flynix - 4
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:41:16 +0200

poslao sam ti objasnjenje na e-mail da shvatis da nisi u pravu a to sto si
se 20minuta smejao nekima je dovoljno pokazati prst i smeju se ceo dan.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "SLAVISA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
fon.hardware,yu.beotelnet,yu.comp.hardware,yu.drenik.oglasi,yu.eunet,yu.oglasi,yu.os.unix,yu.racunari
Subject: Re: PRODAJA  1
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:46:39 +0200

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, lilo won't boot from 15G after changing motherboards!
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:05:44 GMT

The error code is '01'; this means "invalid command".

You probably have a disk geometry problem.  There is no guarantee that the two
bios's will map the drive geometry (C:H:S) in the same fashion.

Try booting with "lba32" using the 21.4 release of LILO.

--John Coffman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   ftp://sd.dynhost.com/pub/linux/lilo

On Tue, 16 May 2000 02:59:29 -0400, Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been given a PII 400Mhz system, and I am putting my 15G drive
>into it to use for my main system, the old computer will be a
>firewall/proxy box.
>
>The old motherboard was a VIA 503+, not sure which BIOS version..  It
>had problems with the 15G drive (reported it as 5xx megs) unless I set
>the drive mode to NORMAL, but LILO was fine.
>
>The new motherboard, a VIA KA-6100 with 1.1dI bios revision, same
>problem with the drive unless I set it to Normal.  However, booting from
>the drive gives me L 01 01 01 01 forever..  I've booted from a floppy,
>but lilo says "Warning: device 0x0302 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit"
>
>I can't figure out what the problem is!  I know the new lilo uses some
>extra functions that are only in newer BIOS's, but I'm pretty sure this
>'new' motherboard is newer than the VIA 503+.
>
>I guess I gotta put in a /boot partition again.. :(

LILO version 21.4.3 (06-May-2000) source at
ftp: sd.dynhost.com   dir:  /pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: "Risto A. Paju" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card Sharing with GNOME
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:54:17 +0100

Steven Fosdick twiddled on 15/05/00:

> Does anyone know how to get the GNOME system sounds and other
> sound playing programs to share the sound card in a more sensible way?

Sounds like the job for ESD, the enlightened sound daemon.

I'm afraid I don't know much details, but installing this and
configuring your player to play via ESD (instead of OSS) should do it.

--
Risto A. Paju
http://www.iki.fi/teknohog/

Going the speed of light is bad for your age.

------------------------------

From: Ryan Ruckley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Second NIC problem - Redhat 6
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:04:06 GMT

"....." wrote:

> Does someone maybe know an answer to this problem?
> Please help me, i've been struggling with this for awhile, getting crazy of
> it.
>
> I just installed redhat 6. My box has 2 NIC's both 3com 905b PCI.
> I can't seem to get the 2nd NIC to work.
> I've heard something about that you have to add them directly in the kernel
> or something, but as i'm new to redhat and never done something like this,
> can somebody plz help me out here.
>
> Don't even know if this is the answer.

For a start take a look at the documentation...

/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Ethernet-HOWTO

This takes you through the basics.

If you don't have your network card compiled as a module then you won't
see anything for you card in /lib/modules/linux-XXX/net/

If this is the case then I think you have to supply something like
eth1=XXX to the kernel via lilo. The HOWTO tells you all about it.

Alternatively you could recompile the kernel to use modules then just
setup your conf.modules as suggested in the HOWTO.

--
Ryan

------------------------------

From: "Darren's News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinLT Modem
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:17:04 +1000

Hi
I have a WinLT internal modem, it seems that it wont work with RedHat 5.2 is
this true and if so will it work with any of the other releases of Linux
like, Mandrake or SuSe or whatever?

Thanks a heaps
Dazza

------------------------------

Subject: Re: What Is The Secret to Drivers
From: Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:27:16 GMT

Have a look at either the Hardware-HOWTO on www.linuxdoc.org or at
http://www.linhardware.com.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Win a 66MB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: What Program(s) probe for ethernet cards for setting them up?
Date: 16 May 2000 07:55:36 EDT

On Tue, 16 May 2000 00:19:47 -0400, mike
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>   I have been using Redhat 5.1 and 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0 and
>Slackware 7.0. and was wondering what program is used to
>probe for the ethernet cards during the card installing process?

RedHat uses something called "kudzu" for hardware detection.  Mandrake
uses "Lothar", I believe.  Slack probably doesn't have anything like that,
but just has a list of a bunch of Ethernet cards and tries to load modules
for each in turn.  For PCI ethernet cards, "cat /proc/pci" returns a lot
of information, and Slack can probably use that info to find out whether
you have a 3c905 or a DEC Tulip or whatever.  ISA cards are a little more
difficult; most ISA modules have an option to autoprobe IRQ and I/O
values, but probing the wrong I/O ports with the wrong hardware can cause
the system to hang.  The isapnp tools can figure out IRQ and I/O values
for ISA PnP cards, but again I don't know the specifics of how Slack does
its thing.  If you have an install disk for Slack and you're interested,
it's time to go digging through the scripts that Slack runs upon
install....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WinLT Modem
Date: 16 May 2000 11:51:13 GMT

Darren's News <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a WinLT internal modem, it seems that it wont work with RedHat 5.2 is
: this true and if so will it work with any of the other releases of Linux
: like, Mandrake or SuSe or whatever?

It's neither true nor false. It's got nothing to do with redhat nor
any other distro. It's a question of what kernel you have in your
machine and whether or not you have installed one of the (barely)
working drivers for the lucent winmodems, which I presume yours is.

Go to

    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

and you'll find out what you need to know.

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:16:10 +0100
From: Yns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: COM Port setting:USR 56k Sportster Modem Initialization

Hello,

I hope someone can help, as I'm running out of resources
to help myself.....

My Problem:
    I cannot get my external modem to work under linux.
    wvdial reports that it can locate my modem, but cannot
    initialize it.

My spec:
    External USR Sportster 56K v90 Modem (x2 compatible)
    Pentium P75 48 Mb Ram

How it is connected:
    It is connected to COM 1, I think, the label on the back of
    my machine to which it is connected to says something like
'010101-1'
    there is also another serial port labeled '010101-2'.

I've tried:
    setting jumper switches 3,7,8 down.

    3 -- Display result codes
    7 -- Load factory defaults
    8 -- Smart mode

    I also tried the following Initialisation string: AT&F&H1&R2

    (the above was advice from the 3com website on how to set up the
    modem for unix-like machines).

    When I do wvdial - it can locate the modem but cannot initialise it.

----

Another note, when I phoned the 3com helpline, they advised that
the modem will work on linux but I need to set the following:

    Databits : 8
    Parity : None
    Stopbits : 1
    Flow Control : Hardware

I've read all the info I have on these, but do not know how to
set them (I did a grep on my HOWTO directory for the docs).

Any advice will be gratefully received, I'm getting in a desparate
situation now .....

Yunus.

To reply by email - remove lovelyspam with yunus.

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rtl8139.b chip and module
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:17:35 GMT

Hi

Network card  (Genius GF100TXRII) uses rtl18139.b chip. The module loads ok.
The xmit led (amber) blinks and can be turned off and on with the usernet
graphical interface and with eth0 up and down blah, blah, blah.

The link led (green) works untill the module loads during boot up, then it
stops. I have to assume this is why I can't ping my other box (Win 98). I
have three identical cards that all behave the same. I've tried using all
three
RH 6.x. The drivers that come withh the card are the same ones that  were in
RH 6.0, so I assume the new card
has the same old drivers.

I've read something about disabling PnP but I'm confused about that.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Bernd =?iso-8859-1?Q?E=DFmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: via82cxxx_audio module loaded, but no sound
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:05:41 +0200

Is the URL correct? I couldn't resolve the IP of this Server. Please
repost correct URL. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "PipeMan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM-thinkpad750cs
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:34:46 +0200

Hi, I have an IBM-laptop (thinkpad750Cs), does anyone now if Linux would
work with itīs HW?!?
Would grately appreciate any help...
-Thankyou....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Strange Lilo "LI" problems
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:40:32 GMT

Any assistance on the following problem would be very much appreciated!

I have two 486's...a Compaq and a Dell.

The Dell has been running Mandrake 5.3 for about a year on a 1080M
disk with a chs of 2112,16,63.  I remember having trouble getting lilo 20
installed on this HD but somehow I did.  Here's the lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
serial=0,9600n8
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-3
        label=l
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only

And here's the partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 2112 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1     1995  1005448+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda2          1996     2097    51408   82  Linux swap

I'm upgrading the Dell with the latest Mandrake.  I took the 1080M HD from
the Dell and put it in the Compaq and it booted up just fine.  I took the
1.2G HD with chs of 621,64,63 from the Compaq and put it in the Dell and
installed Mandrake.

I can't seem to get lilo installed on the 1.2G HD in the Dell!  Here's
the lilo.conf (created during installation):

boot=/dev/hda
serial=0,9600n8
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz-secure
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-up
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only

and here's the partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       559   1126912+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2           560       621    124992    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           560       621    124960+  82  Linux swap

The custom boot floppy I made during the install boots just fine.  I've
tried with and without lba32 and linear and tried fdisk/mbr once to
clean it up before I re-ran lilo.  The bios is set to chs of 621,64,63.

Can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Please remove SPAMSUCKS from my email before sending me email.

-Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marcin Debowski)
Subject: Re: Compex LinkPort/TX pcmcia
Date: 16 May 2000 12:53:17 GMT

Marcin Debowski in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I've been trying (so far unsuccessfully) to convince the Compex LinkPort

Ok, it works ! I switched to the latest 2.3.99-pre7 kernel and the card
started to work from the first kick.
... just to let know some other potential victims of the compex linkport
pcmcie cards.

--
Marcin Dębowski

/\/ http://agatek.freeshell.org, PGP5 0xBF7A805A

From: peter church <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any Suggestions For a Supported DDS3 Tape Drive
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 06:51:42 -0700

I need to get a SCSI DDS-3 format tape drive for my Redhat
6.2 linux machine. Has anyone got any good recomendations
with regards to units with linux drivers/ support?

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful