From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Amanda Hammond)
Subject: Please help me install my 3Com 3c509B ISA NIC :-)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:11:41 GMT

Hi guys, I am also having problems installing my 3com 3c509b NIC, and
I'm a newbie.

I'll tell you the steps I've taken, and please advise me where I went
wrong and/or what I need to do next.

I went in thru DOS and configured the card manually:
"
IO Base Address: 300h <open on my machine, i think>
Interrupt: 11 <open on my machine>
Boot Prom: Disabled
Transceiver:  External (AUI/DIX) <per ethernet howto>
Net Driv Opt:  Windows or OS2 Client
Max Speed: 9600 baud
PNP: Disabled
Full Duplex: Disabled
"

Then I made these entries in my /etc/conf.modules file:
"
alias_parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options eth0 io=0x300 irq=11  # <should this be 0x300 or 0x0300? I've
tried both, however, with no luck>
alias eth0 3c509
"

But no luck, I get this when i run /sbin/modprobe eth0
"
Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: invalid parameter parm_io
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod eth0 failed
"

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
Amanda

------------------------------

From: Derek Colley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: make boot disk on LS-120 under RH62
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:13:19 +0100

Emil,

If you can mount the floppy, then just run mkbootdisk. ("man mkbootdisk"
will show you all the options)

Regards,
Derek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Please help me install my 3Com 3c509B ISA NIC :-)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:35:05 GMT

On Sun, 28 May 2000 14:11:41 GMT, Amanda Hammond
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"
>Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent than
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: invalid parameter parm_io
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o failed
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod eth0 failed
>"
>
>Any ideas?

Try the 3c59x module instead. Sometimes it works better.

--
Hal B

From: "Simon Huang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouse w/ a scroll button
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:38:40 -0700

hi, i have one of those mouses w/ a scroll button and i am using redhat 6.2.
i've configure my mouse so that the scroll button works in file manager,
etc. but i don't know how to make it work in netscape. thank you very much

------------------------------

From: "Roy Edmund Antaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't setup Sony CDRW Redhat 6.2
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 00:58:02 +1000

Hi,

I wish to configure my CDRW to using with cdrecord but I'm unable to
configrue it. I also new to Linux (so far it looks great!)

Current Configuration:
PII
IDE Hard drive
Sony CDRW IDE
RedHat 6.2

I had added append="hdc=ide-scsi" to /etc/lilo.conf and used inmod ide-scsi
but I'm unable to use my CDRW at /dev/scd0 , what have I missed?

Thanks,
Roy

From: "John Daragon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Writing driver to read MOD.
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 15:58:23 +0100

Craig Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8gmf9q$hur$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I really would like some thoughts and help on how to read data off of a
> bunch of optical disks we have...
>
> A company (Siemens) writes medical data onto optical disks in some sort
> of raw (proprietary) format, that is to say there is no filesystem.  The
> actual data format is known (Dicom).  The problem is that we can not
> mount the drive because there is no filesystem.  So how can we get at
> the data?  Do we need to write a device driver?  Is it feasible?
>
> We have matched the optical disk drive exactly as the ones that wrote
> the OD, so the hardware should not be a problem.  We are runing on
> Linux, but also have Windows boxes.  The OD drive is a SCSI drive.
>
> I am unfamiliar with writing device drivers...How would one go about
> trying to get the data off of the drive?  Can you suggest some basic
> code with which I could get started?
>
> Any suggestions or help would be very greatly appreciated!  E-mail me
> directly, if this is not of interest to others.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig.

> Craig Jones

> Before you buy.

Craig, hi;

I'm afraid I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to Linux, but if
you're going to use
Windows NT, this is what you do :

1) Arm yourself with a copy of the SCSI 2 spec.   (It's out there on the Web
somewhere).

2) Install the ASPI toolkit for NT

Then, for each block that you want to read from the drive, you'll have to
construct a
SCSI Request Block (SRB) and call the relevant ASPI function to execute it.

Errors are reported at three levels : ASPI ("There's something wrong with
your SRB"),
HA ("There's something wrong with the SCSI request") and Target ("I'm sorry,
that block
doesn't exist"), and you'll have to decode sense bytes to work out what the
problem was.

Be aware that most optical drives can't tell the difference between a block
that has never
been written and one that is corrupt.  The trouble with this is that OD's
often have
large extents of unwritten real estate (e.g. after volume labels &c), and
when you try to read
this you'll likely get several thousand retries per sector.  It'll really
pay to work out the structure
of the OD early on.

Drop me an email if you think it's worth persuing this.

jd

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
======
John Daragon  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited, The Willows, Compton Chamberlayne, SP3 5DF, UK
(v) +44 1722 714475    (f) +44 1722 714576   (m) +44 7836 576 127
PGP Public key available on request or from ldap://certserver.pgp.com

------------------------------

From: "Neil DeLury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative labs Modem Blaster 56K Flash II?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:02:44 -0500

Hello all, I just purchased and Installed a Creative labs Modem Blaster 56K
Flash II(ISA), and I don't know how to get it to function under Linux(I'm a
bit of a newbie to this I admit); could someone walk me through the whole
MAKEDEV process and such?

Thank you in Advance,
Neil DeLury
"Politics is the control of wealth and power...
We are being conditioned to condemn politics as petty and boring, allowing
those in power to stay in power... You're either part of the problem,
or part of the solution; Which side are you on?" ->C.O.C.

------------------------------

From: "Derek M. A. Lee-Wo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux seems to disable my active partition
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 15:40:33 GMT

Hi,

I have a system with 2 hard drives.  I have a small DOS partition with
System command and a FreeBSD partition on hda and I have Mandrake 7.0-2
installed on hdb.

The problem is that whenever I boot Linux, it seems to be disabling the
ACTIVE drive flag on hda so I can't boot off of it.  I can see this with
fdisk from dos and Linux.  Does anyone know if this is possible? and if so,
how can I fix it.

Derek

--

---
Derek M. A. Lee-Wo

  "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:47:46 -0700

> On Sun, 28 May 2000 14:11:41 GMT, Amanda Hammond
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"
> >Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent than
> >/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
> >/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: invalid parameter parm_io
> >/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod
> >/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o failed
> >/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/3c509.o: insmod eth0 failed
> >"
> >
> >Any ideas?

you switched off pnp for that card? If not get the DOS utility for it and
switch it off. That did it for me - wouldn't coexist with my soundcard.

-- Gerald

------------------------------

From: "solitaire21" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: home network problems
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:17:10 -0700

hello all, im very new to linux and im haveing a little trouble getting the
rough edges worked out. i have most the settings right. but i could use some
tips,

    i have a windows 98
pIII 550e
128mb
voodoo3 3000 agp
Soundblaster Live X-gamer
Creative Labs 6-4-24 cdwr
best buy isa 56k v.90 fw-vw modem
linksys lne100tx fast ethernet card

I  cant get the network card set up nor the video card driver set or the
modem. Any help out there.

------------------------------

From: Macbaby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC Problems
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:24:52 -0500

Hello Everyone,

          I am a newbie everyone so please be gentle. I do not know how
to re-compile the kernel yet so if you tell me to re-compile the kernel
please insert a link on how to do that.......

I have tried to follow all the advice here in the newsgroup and this is
what I have so far.

I am running Mandrake 7.0 on a PII-233, 10 gb Hard Drive, video=Viper
770 w/32 mb ram, 3com 905b NIC card, and 128 mb of ram, 1 mb on board
cache, and an Acer 6x4x2 CD Burner.

I have done modprobe on this card with the -c all switch in 3 places
this is what it returned:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth0 off
options 3c59x irq 10 io E800h

So, when I went to my conf.modules file and looked at it: this is what's
in it:

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x irq=10 io=E800h

Now, I used my DOS (argh) boot disk to run the 3c90xcfg.exe to find this
info:

Network Driver Optimiztion        normal
Boot Prom                                     disabled
Media Type                                   Autoselect
I/O Port                                          E800h
IRQ                                                 10

I am at a loss of what to do. But, I do know the card is working. The
lite on the card and hub are lit....I am using a 10/100 Hub and it shows
as full 100mb connection. Please help me I want to get this working so I
can get away from "WINDOZE=THE VIRUS THAT LIVES"

Thank you,
Michael

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:32:57 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
Jan Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>we reboot one server per day to minimize the problem with
>fragmented memory.

        I'd do that with Windows, but then I'd be rebooting every five minutes
just to be sure.

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network®
ID# 177869        Registered with the Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: _ <>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2, Highpoint HPT366: installs fine, won't boot stopping     at
 'LI'
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:36:32 -0400

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried booting with the boot disk that is created during
installation. Is that the one you are referring to? When I
do that, it gives me an error 0x10 and won't boot. The only
way (so far) that I can get access to the system is with the
install CD using the following command:

linux single root=3D/dev/hdg6 initrd=3D mem=3D192M
ide2=3D0xd000,0xd402 ide3=3D0xdc000,0xe002

That gives me access as if it had booted normally (in single
user mode). I have access to all the configuration files and
can type 'lilo' and have it write the master boot record
with no problem.

I'm trying to leave my hardware the way it is, boot linux,
then patch kernel. However, it shouldn't be necessary to
patch the kernel to boot with LILO, right? There is no patch
for LILO to work with Highpoint's HPT366 controller, is
there? My goal is to get it to boot and work properly, not
necessarily with UDMA/66 going, just PIO.

I still think I'm doing something wrong because all the help
out there on the Web is if there were only one harddrive.
I've got two harddrives attached to the HPT366 (both
master). The first has the master boot record, and the
second has Linux.

I've still got some things I can try...

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie -- LS120
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:29:41 GMT

> Gentlemen,
>
> What do you suggest when the boot probe does NOT recognize the LS-120
as such?

> /var/log/dmesg reveals:
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc98 - 0xfc9f, BIOS settings hdc: pio, hdd: pio
> hdc:    , ATAPI Unknown (type 31) drive
> hdd:  CD-224E, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide1: at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15
> floppydrive: fd0 is 1.44M
> fdc0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306

It seems linux has problems with certain bioses.
In those cases you need to put the ls120 on the same ide channel as an
IDE DISK to have it recognized.

This
>hdc: ’, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 31) drive
shows that linux does not recognize it.

Try installing it as hdb, and you'll probably see someting like:
hdb: LS-120 VER5 00 UHD Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

Then you'll be able to use it.

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MATSHITA LS120 Ver5
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:27:37 GMT

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB scanner support
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:24:26 -0500

Anybody have any recommendations for a decent USB scanner for a
linux system?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Dale A. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: !!!!! HP 9300i vs. cdrecord - HP is winning! HELP!
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:01:43 GMT

Since nobody has responded to my original plea for help, I am reposting
this message...
===============================

Hey kids, this one is a real head-scratcher:
I have Linux 2.2.13 running on a 200Mhz Pentium home-built  w/196Meg.  I

have cdrecord 1.8.1 with all the latest libs to support.  I followed the

CD-Writing HOWTO to set up my HP 9300i (SCSI-on-IDE) CD-Writer TO
THE LETTER!  Configured the modules, rebuilt the kernel, etc.  The CD is

the slave device on the second IDE bus (aka. hdd).  I can mount the
CD-ROM as /dev/scd0 (I have /dev/cdrom pointing at it), I can play
regular music CDs through it, I can even burn CDs under Window$ (UGH!).
BUT When I try with cdrecord, I get the following:

[root@xxx /usr/src/linux]# cdrecord -data -dummy speed=0  dev=0,0,0
/mnt/share4/redhat-6.2-i386.iso
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info     : 'HP        '
Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 9300 '
Revision       : '1.0b'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 10 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 0C C0 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x03 (logical unit communication crc error
(ultra-dma/32)) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
write track data: error after 6684672 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

AGAIN: all the particular components required have been built as
modules.  Here is /etc/conf.modules:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound emu10k1
alias eth0 smc-ultra
options eth0 io=0x240 irq=11
pre-install smc-ultra /sbin/isapnp /etc/SMC8416_isapnp.conf
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

Scanbus tells me:
[root@xxx /usr/src/linux]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 9300 ' '1.0b' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) *
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) 'Minolta ' '#2882           ' '1.11' Scanner
        1,6,0   106) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'L.27' Removable Disk

        1,7,0   107) *

Note above, I have tried any number of speed= settings, and have loaded
and unloaded the "real" scsi driver as an isolation test, with no
differences.  I have also tried different types of media (the original
HP disk, and some good TDK disks that work fine under Windows) -
nothing.

lsmod reports:
Module                  Size  Used by
sg                     11404   0  (autoclean)
aic7xxx               100784   1
sr_mod                 17192   1  (autoclean)
sd_mod                 15908   1  (autoclean)
ide-scsi                6636   1
ide-cd                 21240   0
cdrom                  12252   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
scsi_mod               47760   5  (autoclean) [sg aic7xxx sr_mod sd_mod
ide-scsi]
smc-ultra               3988   1  (autoclean)
8390                    5940   0  (autoclean) [smc-ultra]
emu10k1                48872   1

also, lilo.conf has:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-B
        label=linux2_2_13-B
        root=/dev/hdb3
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.13.img
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"

Note I have tried with and without initrd...

Any HELP with this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED...please don't force me
to boot Windows!!!!  Noooooooo!

Dale Smith