Linux-Hardware Digest #974, Volume #12            Fri, 2 Jun 00 10:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  American modem (Yns)
  DIVA T/A ISDN Modem (Mahendra Gunawardena)
  Re: "Wrong media type" when mounting cdrom. (Hal Burgiss)
  CMC Terminal Servers. ("T Bluck.")
  Re: Printing trouble: Epson Photo (Peter Bloomfield)
  What does this SCSI disk error mean? (sincero arcadio)
  hp visualize b180L (Peder Johansen)
  problem with ASUSV3200 (Alexei Kakhno)
  Re: SCSI compatibility (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Program: Output protokoll to a serial interface and to a file ? ("Rachid Broum")
  Re: ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems (Harald van Pee)
  Re: ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems (Harald van Pee)
  Re: Parralel port modem-- how? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: nVidia TNT2 M64, Voodoo 3 3500 or Creative Annihilator Pro? (Adam K Kirchhoff)
  Sound Card CS4236B Line Input doesn't work fine (Sergio
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fern=E1ndez=20Mu=F1oz?=)
  Re: Abit Hot Rot or Promise UDMA66 with Linux? (Yarick Rastrigin)
  Digiport for RedHat 6.1 ?? ("Panos")
  Re: Motherboards for Linux (Doug Alcorn)
  Re: nVidia TNT2 M64, Voodoo 3 3500 or Creative Annihilator Pro? (Doug Alcorn)
  Driver for Acer Warplink wirless LAN card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Driver for Acer Warplink wirless LAN card (David Weis)
  Re: RedHat on Dell Dimension XPS-T ("Jeffrey Tubes")
  Re: DELL / PERC2 (Aaron Smith)

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:48:59 +0100
From: Yns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: American modem

I'm based in the UK and recently bought an external US Robotics
Sportster modem from an american friend.

Unfortunatly, I cannot get it to work on my linux machine.

I couldn't even get it to work on a windows pc.

I've probably tried all dip switch settings without success.

I gave up on the modem about 2 weeks ago - however
is there anyone who can shed some wisdom on why an
american modem won't work in the UK.

...... or is it that my modem doesn't work in the first
place :-(

Cheers.

------------------------------

From: Mahendra Gunawardena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DIVA T/A ISDN Modem
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 06:29:11 -0500

==============72904F01A128DCB863702C36

Does anyone out there have had success configuring a DIVA T/A ISDN Modem

==============72904F01A128DCB863702C36

begin:vcard
n:Gunawardena;Mahendra
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Mahen Gunawardena
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: "Wrong media type" when mounting cdrom.
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:38:21 GMT

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:25:31 +0200, Jesper Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello there.
>
>As far as i can se on dejanews I have the exact same problem as was
>mentioned by Chris Dillon.
>Did anyone ever find a sollution or is it simply because the Acer wont work
>with RH6.2. It works fine with other distrips. and RH6.2 works fine with
>older CD-drives.

Try

 linux hdb=cdrom

at LILO prompt. If this works, stick it in lilo.conf with an append
statement. If it is Acer 50x, support for it was added in 2.2.15preX
somewhere.

--
Hal B

From: "T Bluck." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CMC Terminal Servers.
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:36:54 +0000

Hello.
        I've got a few CMC 115031-12 ethernet-RS232 10 port
terminal servers here and I've a few questions.

Are they usable with sun boxes running Linux / solaris?
I'd like to run multiple consoles on one system, and remote
some of the boxes, headless...

can they be used pier-to-pier / back-to-back to allow 10
serial ports to be sent thru' my ethernet network?

Thanks for your help.
--
Tim Bluck.   TB565   http://www.planet-tharg.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.mis,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Printing trouble: Epson Photo
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 07:52:51 -0400

Geoff Stamper wrote:

> Hello Gang.
>
> I've got an Epson Stylus Photo 700 that is absolutely going haywire
> whenever I try to print something.  I've doubled checked the settings
> and I believe everything is all set.  However, even when I try to print
> a simple text file containing one word the printer ends up shooting
> dozens of sheets through with nothing printed on them!
>
> Could I please see someone's /etc/printcap file for an espon stylus
> photo 700?  If you've successfully setup your epson stylus 740 that
> would probably do too.
>
> THANKS!
>
> --
> Geoff
> stamper.penguinpowered.com

Hi Geoff:

I installed mine with RedHat 6.2's printtool, using the uniprint driver
and a number of the stc600 options--it works fine.  I also use it with
gimp-print 3.1.5, and get great photo quality output.

HTH, Peter

------------------------------

From: sincero arcadio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What does this SCSI disk error mean?
Date: 2 Jun 2000 11:54:58 GMT

Does this error mean what I think it means:

SCSI disk error: host 0 channel 0 id 4 lun 0 return code = 28000000
Info fld=0xec, Current sd08:21: sense key Hardware Error

that is, the hard drive is toast and I shouldn't entrust my data to it?

---
Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.
Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland Baltimore County,
Linux systems administrator, wanna-be Windows and Linux software developer,
amateur competitive bodybuilder and all-around nice guy.

WWW: http://www.sincero.com/~asincero (COMING REAL SOON NOW(tm)!)
E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (THIS IS BROKE TOO! damn ...)

"There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those
 who can't."

------------------------------

From: Peder Johansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hp visualize b180L
Date: 02 Jun 2000 14:00:50 +0200

Is it possible to run linux on this unix machine?
I don't know what cpu it uses. If, which distribution must i choose?

--
Peder Johansen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexei Kakhno)
Subject: problem with ASUSV3200
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:08:53 GMT

Hi all.

My friend can't setup video card ASUSV3200 16M Banshee for Linux
Redhat6.2 XFree86-3.3.6

Anybody know what to do?

Many thanks for your HOWTO.

Alex, Russia

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI compatibility
Date: 2 Jun 2000 12:15:53 GMT

Mukundan Sudarsan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've an Adaptec 2930 Ultra SCSi card currently for Windows NT. I need to
> run Linux on my box and donno if its compatible with Linux. Can u please
> tell me if the Adaptec 2930 ultra is compatible with Linux. Where can i
> find the drivers for it?

http://lhd.datapower.com/ for all your Linux hardware compatibility needs.

The short answer is that yes, it is supported, and the driver (aic7xxx) is
a standard part of the kernel, so will be in whatever distro you choose.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Rachid Broum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Program: Output protokoll to a serial interface and to a file ?
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:07:05 +0200

Hello Everyone !

Does somebody find out witch Programm  use the output protokoll to a serial
interface  and in the same time link that output to a file ?

Best regards

Rachid Broum

------------------------------

From: Harald van Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:21:06 +0200

We use
ASUS K7V KX133 Athlon motherboard
AMD Athlon 800 MHz
256MB PC133 RAM
2x40GB Maxtor IDE HDD
ATI xpert 98
Tekram 390F (PCI Slot 4) 2 SCSI-Tapes
D-Link Ethernet (PCI Slot 5)
SuSE 6.4
with no problems.

I would suggest you start from the beginning
and make new partitions (If you have no data to loose).

If this does not help, you maybe should ask in redhat mailing lists.

Harald

------------------------------

From: Harald van Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:27:37 +0200

Just an idee,
we have bios v1.03
actual is v1.05
at least older versions have problems with auto RAM detection.
Your RAM timing should be 3-3-3-3 for PC133 mostly.
And yes there can be a problem with RAM timing even if Windows 98 works.

Regards
Harald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Parralel port modem-- how?
Date: 02 Jun 2000 08:28:29 EDT

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 22:30:47 -0400, jack
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Yehuda Raveh wrote:
>> I have an external modem using the parralel port. I could not find any
>> instruction how to set it in linux (kernel 2.2.14) in any HowTo or other
>> documentation.
>
>I've never heard of a parallel port modem. Are you sure it's not a
>serial one, just using a big (db25) connector instead of the smaller
>(db9) one? My external modem also has a bigger and a smaller connector,
>but this doesn't make it parallel port :)

Parallel port modems do exist... they're even rarer than serial printers
in the PC world, but they're out there.  If the plug on the end of the
cable going to the computer is a female plug, then you have a serial modem
with a DB25 instead of a DB9 connector... you can pick up a converter for
$2 at any computer store, plug into the serial port, and go.

If the connector does indeed plug in to the parallel port without an
adapter, I have no idea about what you'd do next except point minicom at
/dev/lp0 and and see what happens.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: Adam K Kirchhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nVidia TNT2 M64, Voodoo 3 3500 or Creative Annihilator Pro?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:38:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Nocturnus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Haral Tsitsivas wrote:

>> I am configuring a new PC (to run RH Linux 6.2) and I have a choice
>> of these three video cards:
>>
>>  16MB nVidia TNT2 M64 Pro graphics Card
>>  3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 16MB with TV Out Only
>>  Creative Annihilator Pro with 32MB - DDR RAM
>>
>> Which works the best (drivers available, reliable, fast) on Linux?

> Do not buy an NVidia card if you have the choice and use it in Linux,
> because their drivers are very buggy. So, unless you like AGP teardowns
> and making your computer as unstable as a windows box, go for the 3DFX
> one.

> W.J.

I second that motion...  Under linux, 3dfx all the way.

Adam

From: Sergio =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fern=E1ndez=20Mu=F1oz?=
Subject: Sound Card CS4236B Line Input doesn't work fine
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:28:20 GMT

Hello. I have a (maybe hardware) problem. I have compiled ALSA (version
0.5.7). I have a sound card CS4236B (Cristal Sound). It sounds fine (I
can hear music, I can speak using MIC input, etc). But I have a problem.
Line volume capability seems to be broken. I move volume line control
but it doesn't respond to me. I think it could be an ALSA driver
problem, but I don't know if it could be a sound card (hardware)
problem.

If anyone has an idea to fix this problem, please help me.

Thanks
Sergio

------------------------------

From: Yarick Rastrigin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Abit Hot Rot or Promise UDMA66 with Linux?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:15:27 +0400

Hello !
> They both are reported to work under Linux. I however own an
> Abit BE6 motherboard with the HPT366 controller built in and
> am not even using it with my UDMA/66 drive. I could go into
> details if you want, but I think the consensus would
> agree--stay away from the Highpoint controller. I've had
> nothing but trouble with it and there have been BIOS updates
> after BIOS updates.
>
> Also consider that I have no experience with the Promise
> controller, so... I'm biased. You should get opinions from
> people who have experience with both.

We're selling Abit motherboards for a while (I currently work in sales
dept of a small computer firm),
and recently I've noticed a very interesting CD along with Abit BE6-II
MoBo - Gentus Linux.
It's Abit version of RH6.0 with patched kernel with support of UDMA66
HPT controller and packages for PC health monitoring.
Maybe, this info will be useful. Look at Abit homepage.
Personally I think Abit makes very good MBs, and BIOS updates ain't that
bad.

--
With all the best, [EMAIL PROTECTED] AKA 2:5025/17

------------------------------

From: "Panos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digiport for RedHat 6.1 ??
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:34:47 +0200

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is any digiport device compatible with RedHat....
Any suggestions, comments are more than welcome...

TIA

Panos

Subject: Re: Motherboards for Linux
From: Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:34:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warren Gross) writes:

> and for the Athlon/K7V,
>
> 2) I have heard troubling reports about the stability of newer
> Athlon motherboards (for example, Redhat warns of possible
> incompatibilities with 6.2). Can anybody shed any light on this?
> Also, I have the same questions about UDMA66 support.  Anybody get
> it to work?
>
> If UDMA66 isn't fully working now are both these chipsets slated for
> support?
>
> Any experiences with the Apollo Pro133A or the KX133 would be
> appreciated.

I don't have the Asus board, but I have the same chipset.  The 2.3
kernel tree has support for the VIA82CXXX chipset.  I have udma-66
working, but the performance isn't as good as I would like.  I have a
Maxtor 7200rpm drive that is only doing 15MB/sec.  I think this is
bios related.  I would be interested in seeing how the Asus compares
to Epox in ide performance.  As a side note, I haven't had any kernel
oops using this chipset either, YMMV.

Note that I didn't install RedHat from scratch with this motherboard.
I already had an installation of 6.2 that was working.  I just
recompiled my kernel with the new chipset features.

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Win a 66GB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:38:32 GMT

Nocturnus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Haral Tsitsivas wrote:
>
> > I am configuring a new PC (to run RH Linux 6.2) and I have a choice
> > of these three video cards:
> >
> >  16MB nVidia TNT2 M64 Pro graphics Card
> >  3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 16MB with TV Out Only
> >  Creative Annihilator Pro with 32MB - DDR RAM
> >
> > Which works the best (drivers available, reliable, fast) on Linux?
>
> Do not buy an NVidia card if you have the choice and use it in Linux,
> because their drivers are very buggy. So, unless you like AGP teardowns
> and making your computer as unstable as a windows box, go for the 3DFX
> one.

Unless you want to run XFree86-4.0.  On the Enlightenment mailing list
the NVidia2 comes highly recommended.  I think the 4.0 drivers are
significantly different (much better) from the 3.3.x drivers.
However, these cards are pricey.  My personal preference is the Matrox
g400 in terms of bang for buck.  I know the MS-Windows drivers are bad
for this card, but I don't run Windows.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Driver for Acer Warplink wirless LAN card
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:33:32 GMT

I would like to attempt to write a driver for the aformentioned
wireless LAN card. I have the API for the card and the source code for
the Windows driver (NDIS - I hope this isn't too offensive for the
Linux community). I have had some experience of writing Windows network
drivers.

I have some information and examples of network drivers for linux from
the WEB but I still don't have an overall understanding of how the
Linux kernal uses /  communicates with the network drivers and how they
use / communicate with the plug and play architecture. Can anyone
recommend any suitable sources of information that I should obtain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: David Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for Acer Warplink wirless LAN card
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:43:38 -0500

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I would like to attempt to write a driver for the aformentioned
> wireless LAN card. I have the API for the card and the source code for
> the Windows driver (NDIS - I hope this isn't too offensive for the
> Linux community). I have had some experience of writing Windows network
> drivers.

No problem.

> I have some information and examples of network drivers for linux from
> the WEB but I still don't have an overall understanding of how the
> Linux kernal uses /  communicates with the network drivers and how they
> use / communicate with the plug and play architecture. Can anyone
> recommend any suitable sources of information that I should obtain.

Find a simple driver like wd.c and look at the functions it uses. If this
is a pcmcia card, you should look through the source for one of those
drivers, maybe pcnet_cs.c.

david

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey Tubes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RedHat on Dell Dimension XPS-T
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:59:38 -0500

You might also want to check the video card that comes with it. If it is an
ATI Rage Pro 128 you'll have to install redhat using the text interface
'linux text' and then install an XServer from SuSe to make it work or else
just jump straight to XFree86 4.0 which I did.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:58:53 -0400
From: Aaron Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DELL / PERC2

> Incidentally, the machine I was working on stated PERC 2/si during the
> bootup, it was definately the adaptec card (I checked the chips on the
> board).  It was not a megaraid card, it was onboard.  There must be a lot
> of different version of these cards floating around.
>
> --
> Jim Zubb
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Of course!  Otherwise, our jobs would be too easy!  *grin*

Aaron Smith                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IT Manager, Change Technology                   616.381.9889 ext 17
EoExchange, Inc.                                http://www.eomonitor.com
3506 Lovers Lane, Second Floor                  Kalamazoo, MI 49001

PGP Key: http://www.net-link.net/~aaron/aarons-pub-keys.txt