From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox G200
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:12:44 -0400

Will the matrox G200 install and  configure jsut as easily as the G400??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Matrox G200
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:20:52 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:12:44 -0400, Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Will the matrox G200 install and  configure jsut as easily as the
>G400??

Very easy here.

--
Hal B

From: "N Mengale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 6.2 Hardware compatibility with Hard Disk Drives
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:35:26 GMT

Hello Linux Gurus,

I bought a Dell Dimenstion XPST700r PC recently that came with Windows 98
SE. I also bought a book Special Edition of Using Red Hat Linux from Que
which included a Red Hat 6.2 CD-ROM.

My PC came with a big 20GB hard disk on a single drive (C:). I used FIPS
from a bootable DOS floppy to create a new partition (at cylinder 1965) of
about 4GB (D:). I was planning to install Linux on D drive.

When I booted my PC from Red Hat 6.2 CD-ROM, the graphics installer started
properly. I went through the steps as prompted on the screen (selecting
language, keyboard, mouse etc.) and also as documented in the book. However
the book said that I will be asked to choose where I am loading Linux from
(CD-ROM, Hard Disk etc...) before the graphics installer asks me to choose
Mouse Configuration. It did not ask me to choose where I am loading Linux
from, but took me striaght to the Mouse Configuraion. After that it took me
to Installation Type Screen and I chose the defaults of New Installation (as
opposed to Upgrade) with GNOME workstation (as opposed to KDE Workstation).
I did not choose "Use FDISK" as it was not the default. When I click <Next>
on this screen I get the following error message -
"An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new
filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

I am not sure I understand this message. My hard-disk is a Maxtor New
DiamondMax Plus 40 Series 20.4 GB IDE 52049U4 Ultra DMA 66 hard drive with a
Promise Technology's Ultra66 IDE Controller.

Currently the first partition of about 15.4GB is assigned to C drive where
Win98 resides happily. The other partition created with the help of FIPS
(which seemed to work fine) is about 4 GB starting at cylinder 1965.

According to the book, the graphics installer should have taken me to the
"Auto Partitioning" screen right after the "Installation Type" screen but
instead I get the above error message.

Any help will be greatly appreciated by this first time Linux Installer.

Thanks,
Nitin.

PS: The Dell rep thought that all the hardware on my PC should be compatible
with Linux !!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:44:45 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:35:26 GMT, N Mengale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am not sure I understand this message. My hard-disk is a Maxtor New
>DiamondMax Plus 40 Series 20.4 GB IDE 52049U4 Ultra DMA 66 hard drive with a
>Promise Technology's Ultra66 IDE Controller.

The installer is not recognizing the controller and/or drive. The RH
kernel does not have ATA/66 support. See if any help here:

 http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html

--
Hal B

From: Shane R. Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Toshiba 2515CDS and CT69000 Video Adapter
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 05:12:45 GMT

I am having trouble getting my laptop working with XFree86 4.0.
The problem is with the video adapter, Chips and Technologies CT69000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

------------------------------

From: Antonius Herry Sukardi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware list
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:24:48 +0700

Hi,

I am looking for a list of hardware that are proven to have worked well
with Linux.  Can anybody point me to a site where I can find such a list
? (preferably with the drivers ready to be downloaded).  I am
particulary looking for Network Interface card and SCSI adapters (both
with PCI interface).  I know 3COM 3c509 works well also the NE2000.  But
I am looking for a newer and most importantly cheaper alternatives.

Thanks

Antonius

------------------------------

From: Mircea Luca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Mouse with 2.4.0test1?!
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:44:49 +0000

Velian wrote:

> OK, I've spent... 8 hours on this now. Non-stop.
>
> How do I get my USB mouse working in 2.4.0test1? Or in ANY kernel, ever,
> anywhere?!?!
>
> I compiled with USB HID support, USB UHCI support, USB support, USB mouse
> support, and all that. I am fairly confident that, after 7 times, I have the
> kernel compiled correctly for USB. I modprobed usbmouse, usbcore and
> usb-uhci. All are loaded.
>
> When I boot X, it errors me with:
> "/dev/usbmouse: No such device"
>
> Same when I cat /dev/usbmouse
>
> I did mknod /dev/usbmouse c 10 32
> And mknod /dev/usbmouse c 180 16
> I tried putting it in /dev/usb/usbmouse.
> I tried usbmouse0.
>
> What is it that's missing? Why does it say no such device?! I deleted
> /dev/mouse, too (forgot why), so I can't even use my PS/2 mouse anymore.
>
> Something with this alias char-major-*-* business? Something I'm not
>
> Using Debian 2.3. Help *GREATLY* appreciated. I'm still pretty new, but I'm
> a fast learner.
>
> Using XFree 4.0. Nvidia drivers. But I don't think it has anything to do
> with X because it can't find the device when I cat either.
>
> When I do more /proc/interrupts and click my mouse a bit, the number next to
> usb-uhci increases. So the mouse is being recognized by something, at least.
>
> This No Such Device thing really has me stumped.
>
> TIA,
>
> -Dolgan

here is the relevant part from the
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/input.txt

Begin quote
2. Simple Usage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  For the most usual configuration, with one USB mouse and one USB
keyboard,
you'll have to load the following modules (or have them built in to the
kernel):

        input.o
        mousedev.o
        keybdev.o
        usbcore.o
        usb-[uo]hci.o
        hid.o

  After this, the USB keyboard will work straight away, and the USB
mouse
will be available as a character device on major 13, minor 32:

        crw-r--r--   1 root     root      13,  32 Mar 28 22:45 mouse0

  This device, has to be created, unless you use devfs, in which case
it's
created automatically. The commands to do that are:

        cd /dev
        mkdir input
        mknod input/mouse0 c 13 32

  After that you have to point GPM (the textmode mouse cut&paste tool)
and
XFree to this device to use it - GPM should be called like:

        gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/input/mouse0

  And in X:

        Section "Pointer"
            Protocol    "ImPS/2"
            Device      "/dev/input/mouse0"
            ZAxisMapping 4 5
        EndSection

  When you do all of the above, you can use your USB mouse and keyboard.

As you see,your implemetation was a bit different.

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta

------------------------------

From: Richard Petty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Water cooling system
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:14:17 GMT

Don't run Intel CPU's.

--Richard

--
Spam deterent: Remove the "BOGUS" part for a correct address.

------------------------------

From: Chris Harshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet support
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:24:31 -0700

The 700 series were "winprinters," which required some pretty extensive reverse
engineering to work with Linux.  They are listed as "mostly" working with Linux,
and details can be found here:

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=61536

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:52:21 -0400

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:07:06 GMT, Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >Has anybody work on the subjet, can anybody direct my to a few documentation
> >webpage or a FAQ, primer.... anything!  Or if you have any other suggestion that
> >wouldn't cost much (I'm quite out of cash!)
>
> I ran into a homemade howto on this, but can't recall where. Maybe
> overclockers.com. The guy used an aquarium pump, and a 2 litre empty
> coke bottle, etc. Sounded _interesting_ ...

One suggestion, look for a 'Peltier junction' cooler rather than just
using a drilled/channeled heatsink.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: Dolgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:30:18 GMT

It worked.

Thanks for pasting that to me. My question really deserved a "RTFM." Don't know
why I didn't. *Embarassed*

Thanks though. It's great.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry Phillips)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: number lock
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 05:40:54 GMT

Install Mandrake 7, it's based on Redhat, it's 100% compatible and it
has lots of nifty little vaule added stuff, some of ones I like:

1. ls gives you different colours for different files types and dir's
2. numlock is set to on
3. line completion when you hit <TAB> fills out the matching part and
lists the rest on the first press. eg. lin<TAB> will fill out linux
and then list linuxconf and linux_logo underneath. Redhat will fillout
linux and then beep hit <TAB> again and it will list the two commands.
4. It's optimised for Pentuim's

There are others but they are the ones I remember at the moment (I am
at work) and I don't use RH. I *know* that RH can be configured to
give you what I have mentioned but it comes out-of-thebox with
Mandrake.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Networking glitch:  What's Up?
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 03:05:21 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:59:59 GMT, David Steuber
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have on occasion moved large amounts of data over the network, using
>NFS, without problem.  This is one of those 'intermitent' bugs.
>
>Any useful suggestions that help track down and kill the culprit will
>be gratefully accepted.
>
>--
>David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
>NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

Sounds like a cable or hardware problem.

------------------------------

From: jmantel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer on firewall.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:22:28 -0700

I have set up a linux firewall system.  I would like to have this
system be my print spooler for my network.  I have an HP deskjet
printer attached to the parallel port on the firewall system.
I cannot print to the printer.  The parallel port modules get loaded
but nothing make it to the printer.  A basic lp command gets sent to
the lpd and goes through the spool but never makes it to the printer.
I know the printer works I can attach it to another system running
linux and all is well.  I am assuming there is some problem with
identity on the firewall system such that the print spooler is unable
to actually get the job to the printer.  Has anyone come across
this and if so how can I print to a locally attached printer on my
firewall system?

TIA,
J.M.

------------------------------

From: Guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Athlon problems
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 03:32:38 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:56:54 GMT, James Pearson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm having problems running Redhat 6.2 on an Athlon box - it freezes
>when I try to run mkfs on a disk partition.
>
>My set up:
>
>Athlon 700Mhz, Gigabyte 7IX mainboard, 256Mb RAM, 2 IBM
>Ultra66 disks (IBM-DTLA-307030).
>
>Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14-12.

Why you tring to run mkfs, doesn't the installer do this for you?  I
suspect you have hardward conflicts, try toggling the bios pnp-os =
yes/no setting.

Guardian

------------------------------

From: Darwin Velez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WIN-Modem Question
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:30:06 GMT

Hi. I have a WIN-Modem 56K and I have Red Hat Linux 6.2. i would like to
know if there is any way to make this type of modem work with Linux OS. I
contacted the Manufacturer and they told me it does not work for any other
OS but Windows. How ever I have the hope that probably somebody already
knows how to make it work for Linux. I will appreciate if somebody knows
anything about it. Thank you very much.

From: Mircea Luca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:35:56 +0000

Dolgan wrote:

> It worked.
>
> Thanks for pasting that to me. My question really deserved a "RTFM." Don't know
> why I didn't. *Embarassed*
>
> Thanks though. It's great.

No problem.It happens.

From: "Joe G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WIN-Modem Question
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:38:41 -0500

Check out www.linmodems.org for help.  Your WinModem could become a
LinModem, if it's supported.
(I'm currently trying to get mine to work, but the Modem is having trouble
dialing).
Good luck. ;o)
- Joe G.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...