  NETGEAR FA310TX on RH 5.2 (David Heath)

From: "Tim Gajewski, KU4IY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to install Xf86 3.3.3 on Red Hat 5.1 system.
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:17:17 -0500

==============0EF71E0EAB94C9666BD816EA

kramesh wrote:

>  New to linux and using Riva TNT acc. card. Xconfig doesn't reconize
> this card. so tel me where I can download RIVA TNT updates and how to
> install in my system. Thank you.

  I have the Creative Labs Riva TNT, download (and print) the directions
to install: http://www.xfree86.org/REALNOTES10.html#10

Installing XFree86 is real easy, I am sort of a new user myself and had
no problems.  They tell you exactly what to do.
Here are some general topics (Riva TNT is in here):
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3/index.html

Good luck, Tim

==============0EF71E0EAB94C9666BD816EA

<HTML>
kramesh wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>New to linux and using Riva TNT
acc. card. Xconfig doesn't reconize this card. so tel me where I can download
RIVA TNT updates and how to install in my system. Thank you.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; I have the Creative Labs Riva TNT, download (and print) the directions
to install: <A
HREF="http://www.xfree86.org/REALNOTES10.html#10">http://www.xfree86.org/REALNOTES10.html#10</A>

<P>Installing XFree86 is real easy, I am sort of a new user myself and
had no problems.&nbsp; They tell you exactly what to do.
<BR>Here are some general topics (Riva TNT is in here):
<BR><A
HREF="http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3/index.html">http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3/index.html</A>

<P>Good luck, Tim</HTML>

==============0EF71E0EAB94C9666BD816EA==

------------------------------

From: marco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS ES1688 SOUNDCARD
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 02:50:27 +0100

IS THERE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THE DRIVERS OF THE ESS ES1688
SOUNDCARD.
PLEASE MAIL THEM TO ME.
MARCO
THE NETHERLANDS

------------------------------

From: Melvin Lopez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Driver for Compaq Smart Array 2
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:04:02 -0500

I need a Linux driver for the Compaq Smart Array 2 controller.  If
anyone can help me please send the file to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Melvin Lopez

------------------------------

From: Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:46:05 -0500

The reason that there is something that WinXX can do, but not Linux, is
because the manufacturers decided that it's cheaper to design the
Windows software necessary to drive the modems, rather than design,
create, and install the controlling chips in the modems.  You're looking
at modular design at it's very worst!  That's why these pieces of ?@%%^#
won't work on the UNIX/Linux systems.

Günther Wieser wrote:

> Thats what I want to hear in this NG: Something real usefull.
> If anyone can tell me, how I can listen to my PCI bus under WinXX, I
> would appreciate that.
> As I´m using a laptop I´m not willing to cahnge my modem, which is built
> in, and I can not believe that theres something that WinXX can do but
> not Linux! Can that be real?
> And, as you wrote, I don´t believe that this piece of software will be
> too hard to write.

alt.unix,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,at.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: winmodems
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 30 Dec 1998 03:20:01 -0800

"David J. Looney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Fox wrote:
>
> > > The Multitech MultiModemZPX-PCI (Model number MT5634ZPX-PCI) *appears*
> [snip]
> > According to another thread in this group ("RedHat 5.2 Compatible
> > 56K Voice/Data/Fax Modem") the modem seems to work under Linux.
>
> Multitech's response to my email:
>
> >Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:24:59 -0600
> >From: MTS Domestic Sales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: RE: Multitech MultiModemZPX-PCI (Model n
> >
> >Yes it [the pci modem] is also operating system independent.  This product
> >will work in your environment [os/2 or linux].
>
> Now if it doesn't, we've at least got someone to blame ....

It would be a Good Thing if they sold more of these than they expected
to initially.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 30 Dec 1998 03:16:30 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael David Jones) writes:

> This is where the Linux crowd needs to get a good stiff double shot of
> the real world. People buy winmodems. They buy them because they're
> cheap, and because they're good enough for most people's needs. If you
> want those people to consider Linux, you need to make it work with the
> hardware they have.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether we would like to support them,
the information required to do so is simply unavailable to us.  Maybe
the best spin we can put on it is that we didn't want 'em anyway.
--

Subject: Re: Which Modem to Use
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 30 Dec 1998 03:21:35 -0800

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:

> "Art Ehuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a 56k modem to use with RH 5.2.
>
> MultiModemZPX-PCI (Model number MT5634ZPX-PCI).   Try www.mcglen.com.

Sorry, I omitted the brand - MultiTech.

From: Doug Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:05:51 -0500

>>install via ftp with cox@home and if so, how and what configurations
>>are to be made during installation?
Yes but do not know how.

http://www.cheapbytes.com      <<   $1.99 Redhat 5.2 as well as many other Linux
and Frebsd partitions
Don't Post to so many newsgroups again

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul MacIntosh)
Subject: Laptop & external display???
Date: 31 Dec 1998 00:54:18 GMT

My external display provides more *real* resolution than
my laptop display.  Running X in 1024x768 causes the laptop
(and the external display) to "pan" for a virtual 1024x768
desktop on a 800x600 screen.

In Windows, I can disable the laptop display and produce true
1024x768 resolution (i.e. without panning) on my external monitor.

Is there a similar capability to achieve this result in Linux?

Thanks in advance.

--
Paul MacIntosh

From: TKD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CRC Error
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:45:12 -0200

I'm having an error CRC ERROR while the instalation from boot disk at
"Uncompressing Linux...." and the system is locked.
I have 8x creative cd-rom, trident 2MB, 64 ram memory.

------------------------------

From: "Robert J. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Newbie Modem Dial-up Problem
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:19:03 -0600

> P.S.  The modem is a CPI Viva 56LC-SM (K56 flex) modem.

Unless I miss my guess, that's a Lucent Winmodem.  It won't work with
Linux, and they're fairly brain-damaged in the first place.

As I understand it (my degree is in CompSci, not CompEng; I'm a software
geek, not a hardware geek)...

First: anything you can do in hardware you can do in software, just
usually with a performance hit.

Second: modems have a lot of very specialized hardware on them that
costs a fair bit.

Third: manufacturers learned that by offloading the specialized
hardware, they could cut costs and increase sales.

Fourth: this means that these lobotomized modems (without specialized
hardware required by modems) have to run software programs in order to
work.

Fifth: these software programs only run under Windows.

Sixth: no manufacturer is willing to disclose their modem specifics so
that the Linux community can write a free driver.

Seventh: hardware is, generally speaking, reliable.

Eighth: software, generally speaking, is only as reliable as the OS...
which means that for Win95, it's unreliable.

Ninth: since the reliable hardware was replaced with unreliable
software, the entire modem is unreliable.

Tenth: since the modem went from Reliable Hardware that Runs on
Virtually Any OS to Unreliable Software that Runs on Only One OS, we can
now say that the entire idea of a Winmodem is braindamaged.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:48:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (erikc) wrote:
> On 27 Dec 1998 17:43:24 GMT
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Filip M. Gieszczykiewicz) wrote:
> -- origin: comp.os.linux.hardware:
> >|In Article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, through puissant
locution, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor) soliloquized:

> >|Huh? My .96pl2 was up about M$ quality.... ;)
> >|
> >|(what scares the crap out of me is the Navy moving their fleet from
> >|[stable] unix systems to NT... [shivvvvvver])
>
> I read about that.  I just hope the Navy learned its lesson.  I
> believe the motivation for the switch over to NT was that the Navy
> wanted to get away from custom one-off hardware and software and move
> over to stuff they could get "anywhere".  Somehow, the brass seemed to
> overlook the the minor detail that the Navy's needs are one hell of a
> lot different than the needs of someone running a business.
>
> Maybe they should try Linux.  ;-)

http://www.ethepeople.com/etp/affiliates/national/fullview.cfm?ETPID=0&PETID=743
86&ETPDIR=affiliates/national

> has a petition you can sign if you want to nudge the gov't into
> considering open source software.

Actually that's a bit like trying to convices Linus Torvalds to use Linux.
Remember, many of the components which we refer to as the "Linux Distribution"
are/were funded through U.S. government projects including ARPA, Athena,
grants to BSD, FSF, MIT-Athena, NSF, and NCSA.  Much of the open source
software we have today was originally pulled from the SimTel-20 repository
which was Public Domain (any derivatives are legal).  In many cases, the
original authors transferred them from Simtel-20 to FSF/GPL.

It gets really funny when the government starts buying it's own software
from Microsoft, at $2000/head.

--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet Architect, MIS Director
http://www.open4success.com

From: Pizzamampf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega Zip drive
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:06:57 +0100

==============7E9ABAB2CA0F29FBDA6101F3

For par-port zip-drive you need scsi support in the kernel:
Low-level-driver is Iomega ppa and scsi-disk support is required.

--
****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****
Thomas Goebhardt     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============7E9ABAB2CA0F29FBDA6101F3

<HTML>
For par-port zip-drive you need scsi support in the kernel: Low-level-driver
is Iomega ppa and scsi-disk support is required.
<P>Bela Lantos wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi,
<P>I am running Caldera's Openlinux Lite 1.3. I have a zip drive, but I
<BR>have no idea how to find it (or use it) in Linux. Can anyone help me?
<P>Thanks: Bela</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****
Thomas Goebhardt&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
38259 Salzgitter&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A
HREF="http://home.braunschweig.netsurf.de/~goebhardt">http://home.braunschweig.netsurf.de/~goebhardt</A>
&nbsp;-Germany-
****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****----****</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 30 Dec 1998 15:26:36 -0800

gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In one year I see the use of current modem technology as being on a par
> with the current use of ISA video cards.

...unless you're travelling...

From: Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: 30 Dec 1998 23:16:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] <Drg> wrote:
: On 30 Dec 1998 21:37:17 GMT, Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:
:>In comp.os.linux.setup THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:wrote (to somebody else):

:>: HEY MAN !!! I AIN'T PAYING SH** FOR LINUX !!! AND I WILL CONTINUE
:>: POSTING FOR HELP UNTIL IT'S DONE !!! SO EITHER YOU HELP OR GET LOST
:>: AND STUFF A PIE IN YOUR FACE, FARTFACE !!!
:>
:>Die.  Now.
:>Papa Darwin needs your help.
:
: Why don't ya' make me !!!

OK, no problem:  We should have your access cancelled by about this
time tomorrow.  Thanks for playing.

Rick Moen                        YOU!  Out of the gene pool.
rick (at) hugin.imat.com

From: David Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETGEAR FA310TX on RH 5.2
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:33:03 -0500

Will the NETGEAR FA310TX work with RH 5.2, and which driver do I use?