From: "Rich Rudnick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Num Lock & Linux (off topic-out of group tangent)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:18:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael V.
Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it? Wilbert
> Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:
>
>>I had the problem with Redhat 6.0 en now also with Redhat 6.2.
>
>       If you have a pentium, try the Redhat flavored version of Mandrake.
> Not only is it optimized for the 586 chipset (as opposed to the 386),
> numlock defaults to the 'on' setting.

        A question about upgrading:  I started w/ linux in March (SuSE 6.3),
changed to RH6.1 in April (once I understood init scripts and what SuSE had
done to them) and am interested in changing to 586 optomization. Two
questions:
        1. Is it really that much of an improvement?
        2. My system, after much agony, is configured and functional.  Do I
                have to start over, or is there a generally known procedure to
                retain configurations when changing distributions?  (Gnome,
                sendmail, syslog.conf, inetd, all that stuff?)

------------------------------

From: Bill Gee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI parallel/serial boards and RH6.2
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:30:04 -0500

I need to add a third serial port and a second parallel port.  The only
free slot I have is PCI.  There are several such boards available for
sale.  Has anyone run any of them?  Do I need driver sets or anything
like that?

Thanks ---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Forcing ne2K PCI cards onto an interrupt?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:31:45 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:07:27 -0500, Cliff Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in comp.os.linux.hardware:

>  I have 2 ne2K PCI cards in my system that both get assigned to IRQ17.  This
>should work, but for some reason doesn't (lost interrupts on one of the
>interfaces).

IRQ 17?  What kind of machine are you running?

I found that my RTL8029 PCI network cards are unable to function using
shared interrupts.  The answer on my machine was to use the system BIOS to
manually set the PCI interrupts so that each slot was forced onto a
different IRQ.

------------------------------

From: Bill Gee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: APC Powerchute not working
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:37:30 -0500

I installed APC PowerChute on my server.  When I run Config.sh, it
eventually tells me the serial port must be set for modem control.  I
run the stty command like this:

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -clocal

Then run "stty -a -F /dev/ttyS0" and it reports -clocal.  Running
Config.sh gives the same error and the port reverts to +clocal again.

The system is RH6.2 and the UPS is a Back-UPS 650 (simple signalling).
It's a server, so there is no X system - I have to configure by hand or
shell scripts.  When I had NT on this same hardware, the UPS worked like
a champ.

Clues?

------------------------------

From: "Phantom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix,fon.hardware,yu.beotelnet,yu.comp.hardware,yu.drenik.oglasi,yu.eunet,yu.oglasi,yu.racunari
Subject: Re: ZVUCNA KARTICA + FM
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:30:48 +0200

koja je cena zvuchne kartice sa FM tunerom ... javi na [EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:8j0n99$844$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gymxo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: I just got my laptop and I want to install Linux, now what ???
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 01:02:37 +0800

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Shippy!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: DPMS in X 4.0
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:15:05 -0600

I cannot seem to get my DPMS to work in X 4.0. Could
someone that has done this one their system tell me
how it is done? I'm running Linux Mandrake 7.1 with
kernel 2.2.16.

| Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493              |
| New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology       |
| Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy                |

From: "Corsaro Nero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: geforce 256
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:15:19 GMT

Anyone knows if Linux Rh 6.2 or Mandrake 7.0 support some geforce 256 video
card, as Cerative annihilator 256 or Asus geforce ?

Thanks
Luca

------------------------------

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: APC Powerchute not working
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:39:26 -0400

Try /dev/ttys1, on my system the internal modem is on /dev/ttys0 so the
external port is /dev/ttys1. I'm running Powerchute with a Back-UPS 500
connected to /dev/ttys1, works fine.

Josh

------------------------------

From: caporc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: geforce 256
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:43:18 GMT

Neither does well.  If you patch up to the newest stable (2.2.16) kernel
and XFree86 4.0, i understand there is full support with OpenGL, but I
haven't gotten a chance to try it.

-SgtCap

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Glen G. Walker)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Redhat 5.2 cannot see SMC Ethernet card.
Date: 24 Jun 2000 17:51:13 GMT

I tried to install an Ethernet card, specifically the SMC EZNET-ISA
(10Mbps Ethernet ISA card). According to the Redhat site, it is supported
on Tier 2, but I can't get my system to recognize that it is even there. I
kept finding eth0 unknown, so I just went ahead and reinstalled Linux to
try to make it easy. The instalation also could not find the card. I am
wondering if I have to somehow turn off Plug-and-Play, but the disk that
was shipped with the card is DOS, and to be honest, I can't figure out how
to access a floppy in Linux. SMC tech-support was beyond unhelpful and
almost impossible to get any info out of.

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO not taking dual nic string
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:07:20 GMT

Hi,
  I tried to enter a dual nic setup into lilo.conf but its
rejected when I run lilo.  I tried the following plus all sorts
of variations.
LILO: ether=11,0x7b80,eth0 ether10,0x7c80,eth1
LILO: ether=11,eth0 ether=10,eth1
ether=11,eth0 ether=10,eth1
etc. All returned syntax error.
I used the same lines at boot and they took and worked.  I ended
up setting up ipcfg-ethx to get the cards working so don't have
to enter the strings at boot.  But I am curious why the Lilo
rejected the string. I used to be able to do this with ? I forget
now, it was with some release of Slackware a few years ago and
with a pre 5.2 release of RH. What happened?
David
please cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: driver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix,fon.hardware,yu.beotelnet,yu.comp.hardware,yu.drenik.oglasi,yu.eunet,yu.oglasi,yu.racunari
Subject: Re: PENTIJUM MII 300 ( F O N T O )
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 14:35:40 +0200

SLAVISA wrote:

> Prodajem racunar pentijum koji sam dobio na igri FONTO
>
> PM9100C PC100 + SVGA + SB, CPU M II 300, 14' HYUNDAI Color, 4.3 GB, 32 MB
> SDRAM, MINI TOWER, TASTATURA I MIS.

    mamu im crvenu,pa oni cyrixa predstavljaju kao PII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 cannot see SMC Ethernet card.
Date: 24 Jun 2000 14:18:21 EDT

On 24 Jun 2000 17:51:13 GMT, Glen G. Walker
<<8j2seh$316$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I tried to install an Ethernet card, specifically the SMC EZNET-ISA
>(10Mbps Ethernet ISA card). According to the Redhat site, it is supported
>on Tier 2, but I can't get my system to recognize that it is even there. I
>kept finding eth0 unknown, so I just went ahead and reinstalled Linux to
>try to make it easy.

That was not the right thing to do.  It is almost never necessary to
reinstall Linux, and it's certainly not needed just to get an Ethernet
card working.

>The instalation also could not find the card. I am
>wondering if I have to somehow turn off Plug-and-Play, but the disk that
>was shipped with the card is DOS, and to be honest, I can't figure out how
>to access a floppy in Linux.

?? How long have you been trying to use this system?  In most distros
including RedHat, it's as simple as doing "mount /mnt/floppy" with a disk
in the drive.  The floppy's files and directories will then be under
/mnt/floppy and you can work with them using normal command-line or GUI
filemanager apps.  MS-DOS formatted floppies can also be accessed with the
mtools (man mtools) which removes the need to mount and umount the
floppy.  All these things are discussed in the Fine Manual.

That said, you will probably have to use the DOS configuration utility on
the disk that shipped with the card to turn off Plug-N-Pray and set the
card's IRQ and I/O values to known values.  The EZNET card isn't listed in
the kernel docs--what's the number on the card?  The Ultra and 9192/9194
are supported for sure, so try doing:
modprobe smc9194 io=0 irq=0       (this autoprobes)
modprobe smc-ultra io=0 irq=0     (again, autoprobe)

One of those ought to work if this is indeed an SMC card and not an NE2000
clone...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Iway Wu)
Subject: Linux keeps crashing/hanging - hardware problem?
Date: 24 Jun 2000 19:37:30 GMT

I have had a Linux system running for a while now, but recently, it's
been crashing anytime there is any intensive CPU activity.  Here's a
short background:

I was running Debian Linux 2.2 (unstable) since last December.  It
hasn't given me any problems and had never crashed.  My system is

SuperMicro Motherboard S2DGE
Dual PII Xeon 450MHz  512k cache
256MB Registered PC-100 SDRAM
Matrox G220 Video Card
Buslogic BT-958 SCSI Card
Digital DE-500 NIC

At first, I thought it was a SCSI termination problem, but that wasn't
the case because the system still crashes when I put an IDE drive and
IDE CD-ROM in it.  Actually, I also tried reinstalling the system, but
at this point, Linux would not even install.  When Linux went to
format my partitions, the system would crash giving an error like

"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference..."

So my next guess was the memory chip.  After testing with Memtest86
(http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86), it appeared to be
fine.  I contacted SuperMicro and they said it was most likely the SPD
chip on the memory.  When I put an unbuffered PC-100 SDRAM chip in, I
was able to install Linux, and the system seemed to work for a day.
So I sent the memory back to Crucial Technologies and had them ship a
replacement.  I popped the replacement in and Linux appeared to
install.  This time, I used RedHat 6.2.  Linux doesn't crash when
there is little CPU activity, but when I run something CPU intensive
(e.g., setiathome) the entire system will crash/hang.  It happens
consistently.  I checked the /var/log/messages file, and the following
type of message is always displayed:

> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference
>at virtual address 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0b11c000, %cr3 = 0b11c000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: *pde = 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Oops: 0000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: CPU:    1
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: EIP:    0010:[<00000000>]
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: c022160c   ecx: 00000000
>edx: cabe7fc4
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: esi: 00000001   edi: 00000004   ebp: 00000000
>esp: cabe7f74
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Process setiathome (pid: 1479, process nr: 46,
>stackpage=cabe7000)
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Stack: 00000000 cabe7fc4 00000000 c022160c
>c025a000 00000000 c0110179 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel:        cabe7fc4 c022160c cabe7fc4 00010000
>00000002 cabe7fbc c010b66d 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel:        cabe7fc4 40d4403c bffff868 c010a6b0
>40d4403c 0000a98f 0000a98d 00010000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Call Trace: [do_edge_ioapic_IRQ+113/155]
>[do_IRQ+59/89] [common_interrupt+24/32]
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Code: <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
>dereference at virtual address 00000
> 000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0b11c000, %cr3 = 0b11c000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: *pde = 00000000

Any help on how to proceed would greatly be appreciated.  Also, does
anybody know what the error above means?  This error occurs on both
CPUs so it's not limited to one.  My guess is the motherboard is bad
somehow, but there are not BIOS error beeps at startup.

In addition to posting to the newsgroup, could you also email me directly at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance
Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:14:39 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:18:47 GMT, Rich Rudnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael V.
>Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it? Wilbert
>> Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:
>>
>>>I had the problem with Redhat 6.0 en now also with Redhat 6.2.
>>
>>      If you have a pentium, try the Redhat flavored version of Mandrake.
>> Not only is it optimized for the 586 chipset (as opposed to the 386),
>> numlock defaults to the 'on' setting.
>>
>       A question about upgrading:  I started w/ linux in March (SuSE 6.3),
>changed to RH6.1 in April (once I understood init scripts and what SuSE had
>done to them) and am interested in changing to 586 optomization. Two
>questions:
>       1. Is it really that much of an improvement?

Marginal, but if you are tweak freak like me, it makes you feel good
anyway. Typically, maybe less than 5%. I tend to do only the things that
I use on a regular basis like my windowmanager, vim, mutt, etc.

>       2. My system, after much agony, is configured and functional.  Do I
>               have to start over, or is there a generally known procedure to
>               retain configurations when changing distributions?  (Gnome,
>               sendmail, syslog.conf, inetd, all that stuff?)

The safe way to switch distros would be to backup your configuration
files, then hand edit as needed later after the install. Of course, if
/home is on a separate parition like it should be, you could keep this
as is with no problems. RH -> Mandrake may be safer, dunno, since it is
based on RH.

>>>     Is this problem known, if so, what´s the fix?
>>
>>      http://feenix.eyep.net/xstuff/numlock.html

--
Hal B

From: "LR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help with CS4232 on Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 - reports "failed loading
module"...
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:26:26 -0400

Hi folks, hope you can help:

I have an IBM Aptiva P200, which I want to convert to Linux PC.  According
to all the IBM specs he audio controller is a Crystal 4237B.  All the
drivers were 4232.

When I installed Linux, the install wouldn't autodetect the soundcard,
although it is apparently support.  Attempting to add it using the package
manager, resulted in a message telling me that the AD1848 driver had to be
installed (which it did ok).  After that attempting to add the Crystal 4232
gets me only a cryptic "failed loading module" message.

Caldera support suggested I should check out ISAPNP but after reading the
HowTo for it and PnPDump, I'm no further ahead.

I'm also wondering whether I should try to install the ALSA drivers instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luis

------------------------------

From: "cyfur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 06:50:34 +1000

"Glen G. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8j2seh$316$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I tried to install an Ethernet card, specifically the SMC EZNET-ISA
> (10Mbps Ethernet ISA card). According to the Redhat site, it is supported
> on Tier 2, but I can't get my system to recognize that it is even there. I
> kept finding eth0 unknown, so I just went ahead and reinstalled Linux to
> try to make it easy. The instalation also could not find the card. I am
> wondering if I have to somehow turn off Plug-and-Play, but the disk that
> was shipped with the card is DOS, and to be honest, I can't figure out how
> to access a floppy in Linux. SMC tech-support was beyond unhelpful and
> almost impossible to get any info out of.

Hi Glen,

I use a couple of SMC Ultra ISA 10M NICS here. Being in the same box, I had
to use the DOS only software to set the cards to different memory / IRQ
settings. You may have to do the same, if there is a conflict. The software
also has diagnostics - make sure that the nic actually works. If all else
fails, boot off a DOS floppy to do it, I've tried and the setup sw won't run
under dosemu.

If anyone knows how to programme these cards under Linux I'd love to know...

BTW I use the smc-ultra module, which in turn needs the 8390 mod. You'll
need a both.

Robert