Linux-Hardware Digest #126, Volume #13           Tue, 27 Jun 00 13:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 740 (Richard Zidlicky)
  Re: U160SCSI in redhat??? (Keith Fish)
  Re: Thoughts on this configuration? (J Bland)
  Mandrake 7.1 GRRRRRRR (John W Kendrick)
  SANE scanner (Bruno Gadaleta)
  Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution (Robin Smith)
  Looking for PCI 66/64 mainboard w/Linux compatibility (Dave Ellis)
  Re: how can I mount a raid array ? (mindglow)
  Re: ##HELP!!!!!## RAID question.... (mindglow)
  Re: Mandrake 7.1 GRRRRRRR (aflinsch)
  "Unknown" Network card (Torsten Beekhuis)
  SCSI-Driver for IBM ? (Torsten Beekhuis)
  Re: parallel port programming (Iwo Mergler)
  Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution ("John Riddoch")
  pci videokaart met sis 6326 ("Albert Koning")
  Re: Digital frame grabber for Linux or FreeBSD ? (Christopher Drexler)
  SB Live! in Linux Problems!! ("chris van dam")
  Re: SB Live! in Linux Problems!! (Greg Yantz)
  Re: pci orinoco driver for linux ("W. Alan Robertson")
  Device Driver & Software Interface for Tape Library/Jukeboxes??? ("Saxon Holbrook")
  installation problem (sylvain hutchsion)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 740 (James T Mourra)
  Re: ATAPI CD ROM WRITER
  Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution (David Coulson)
  Tape Library/Jukebox Device Driver??? ("Saxon Holbrook")
  Re: SB Live! in Linux Problems!! (Marc)
  Re: pci videokaart met sis 6326 (Kees Schrama)
  Re: Mandrake 7.1 GRRRRRRR (John W Kendrick)
  Re: installation problem (Andrey Vlasov)
  Re: insmod failed? (Craig Kelley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Zidlicky)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 740
Date: 27 Jun 2000 14:09:40 GMT

In <8iqrih$ev7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Eric J. Shamow"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi all -

>I'm working with an Epson SC740, kernel version 2.2.16, and I've run into
>something of a wall:

>The print daemon is running, the parallel support module is loaded, and yet
>my printer refuses to print.  Output redirected to /dev/lp0 produces no
>response, but no error messages either.  The cable is fine, the printer is
>fine.

you haven't accidentally overwritten the /dev/lp0 with an ordinary
file? I managed to do similar..
Did you check /var/log/messages?

Bye
Richard

------------------------------

From: Keith Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: U160SCSI in redhat???
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:20:53 GMT

I have seen the same "problem" though, because the drives only do
25-40Mb/sec sustained, having a bus that transfers at 2x that is still
acceptable.  You might want to see if Red Hat recently upgraded (or
downgraded) the AIC7xxx driver in the most recent patch.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Thoughts on this configuration?
Date: 27 Jun 2000 00:00:30 GMT

>Unless my memory is totally failing me, a 4/8GB Travan (slow) was
>about $350 (for SCSI).  Considering that 4GB backs up 66% of my
>smallest hard drive, 13% of my largest, and 9% of the total, that is
>totally unsatisfactory.  Doing a full backup would require 11 tapes
>and several days.

So you have roughly 40GB of drive space which you *don't backup*??

I hope I have the wrong end of the stick here, or that's gotta hurt, even if
you only rm -rf the wrong directory.

Incremental backups also make life easier, so a 'full' backup isn't
necessary every day, and how much of that 40GB *needs* backing up?

Frinky

------------------------------

From: John W Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 GRRRRRRR
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:48:29 -0500

I have a 4.3 gig maxtor hard drive. Its worked fro me fin under windoze
and under red hat 6.2, and the bios recognizes it fine.
When I try to install Mandrake 7.1 the install program only sees the
Hardrive as having 1882. Also, half the itme, it wont read the partition
table. Since then Red Hat now osmetimes has trouble reading the partititon
table, but I can just use fdisk to blank it out and start over, and then
Red Hat once again recognizes the drive perfectly.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get Mandrake to recognize
the drive.
Also, how can I fisk bad partition tables.

One other notes. Since this failed attempt to install Mandrake, enither
Mandrake or Red Hat will properly use the tulip module for my specific
ethrenet card. It worked perfectly before.

John K.
Linux newbie.

------------------------------

From: Bruno Gadaleta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SANE scanner
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:32:31 +0200

hi i have a lot of pb with the use of sane.
I'm using mandrake 7.0 and it installed sane.
I have a scanner : hp scanjet 4p.
When i type 'scanimage -d hp:/dev/sga ' it tells me that there is an error with
the argument. I tried 'find-scanner -v' but it fails openning all the sgx.
i tried 'insmod' with the module sym53c..... and so on but it tells me that the
perpheric is busy..
Has anyone the same problem than me ?
What can I do ?

------------------------------

From: Robin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution
Date: 27 Jun 2000 15:44:35 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew McDonald) writes:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:33:26 +0100,
> Richard Clafton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Sorry! www.oseu.co.uk/news.htm
>
> ITYM, http://www.oseu.co.uk/news.htm

Yes that annoys me as well, missing out the protocol.

Also why do people start webservers with http://www , if you are using
http then you could rename the webserver something more interesting
such as http://help.xxxxxx

Robin

------------------------------

From: Dave Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
Subject: Looking for PCI 66/64 mainboard w/Linux compatibility
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:45:10 GMT

Does any one know of any manufacturers that make a Linux/NetBSD
compatible mainboard with 64bit/66MHz PCI bus support?

Regards,
-Dave

------------------------------

From: mindglow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can I mount a raid array ?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:44:28 GMT

heya,

it will be the first scsi device unless you have an extra disc somewhere
else like a boot drive then it'll be /dev/sd x

mount like mount -t ext2 /dev/sda /raid or whatever you want it to be
called and don't forget to put an entry in fstab.

btw. you don't happen to have a working AMI Megaraid series 428 do you?
i can't get mine to work and it's pissing me off.

regards,

mindglow

In article <8j06nl$jit$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Xavier GALLEZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have a RAID-5 array controlled by a Mylex Acceleraid 250
controller. The
> array is configured and working, but how can I "mount" it ? Which
device is
> pointing to the array, and what options should i use to mount it ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>     Xavier

> Xavier Gallez
> http://www.meca.ucl.ac.be/~gallez
>
> Centre for Systems Engineering and Applied Mechanics (CESAME)
> Universite Catholique de Louvain
> Batiment Euler, Av. Georges Lemaitre, 4-6
> B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, BELGIUM
>
> Tel: + 32 - 10 - 47 2365
> Fax: + 32 - 10 - 47 2180
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: mindglow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ##HELP!!!!!## RAID question....
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:53:48 GMT

heya,

have you managed to get the card working?
i have a hp lxe pro with a netraid card (also a series 428) and i can't
get it to work.
when insmod tries to insert the megaraid.o module it tells me "device
busy"

any ideas?

regards,

mindglow

In article <8id468$3km$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "unclebob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there all,
> I've got an old HP NETSERVER 5/75 LC.
> I have just scored a NetRAID-1 contoller, with following specs;
> - 4MB Cache
> - Firmware A.04.01
>
> I have 2 hard-drives attached as follows;
> - HP D4911A (Made by IBM)
> - 9.1GB
>
> I have been trying to install Redhat 6.0.
> I have used the drives in a striped configuration (RAID 0).
>
> Upon install, Redhat detects the adapter as AMI MegaRAID adapter. The
card
> is actually a re-badged AMI MegaRAID 428 (this is listed as a
supported
> device in the www.redhat.com support pages.)
>
> Once the card is detected, it attempts to locate the MBR for a
partition
> table (I assume) and at this point spits the dummy.
>
> Any ideas???????
>
> I'd hate to have to NT as Linux and SCO are the only supported
UNIX-type
> OS's supported, and I can't afford SCO.
>
> Cheers,
> UncleBob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.1 GRRRRRRR
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:48:42 -0500

John W Kendrick wrote:

> One other notes. Since this failed attempt to install Mandrake, enither
> Mandrake or Red Hat will properly use the tulip module for my specific
> ethrenet card. It worked perfectly before.

As of release 7.0 Mandrake ships with 2 "tulip" drivers one is called
tulip, the other tulip_old. if you have an older card, you might need
to use the tulip_old driver (I had the opposite problem when I
installed my cards, with Mandrake 6.0)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:00:54 +0200
From: Torsten Beekhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Unknown" Network card

Hi!

Does somebody know how to install/use the "SK-NET MC/2" (MicroChannel)
NIC, made by "Schneider + Koch" under Linux?

It has a "AMD LANCE 7990"-Chip on it. Where to get a driver for it?

Thanks in advance,
Torsten

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:07:15 +0200
From: Torsten Beekhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI-Driver for IBM ?

Hi!

Does somebody know how, or where, to get a driver for the
Onboard-SCSI-System of a IBM Mod.56?

Thanks in advance,
Torsten

------------------------------

From: Iwo Mergler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: parallel port programming
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:17:05 GMT

Ruediger Knoerig wrote:

> Hi folks!
> Last week I tried to write an interface program to a parallel port PIC
> programmer, which was supplied only with DOS 16 Bit Software. DOS and Win
> shit are history :-). The main task is to set D0 and D1 according to a
> synchroneous serial connection, so I tried a simple fopen() with
> /dev/parport or /dev/lp0 (as root) and unformatet writings with fputc() -
> big fail. Is there a better way to get this job done?

This little program increments the value on the data lines (not tested).

        #define extern
        #include <asm/io.h>
        #include <sys/io.h>

        #define LPT 0x378

        int main(void)
        {
          unsigned char v;

          if (ioperm(LPT,0x8,1)!=0) /* Register port range */
          {
            printf("Must be root to run this.\n");
            return(-1);
          }

          v = inb(LPT);
          outb(v+1,LPT);
          return(0);
        }

I'm sure you can take it from here :^)

Regards,

Iwo

------------------------------

From: "John Riddoch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 27 Jun 2000 15:17:02 GMT

In uk.comp.os.linux Douglas W. Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think you will find with a little research that there are many
> other companies that sell rack mountable 1U systems as well,

Yeah, just check www.dabs.com for one place.  A quick search on 'rackmount'
showed 3 cases; one AT, one ATX and one Drive case.  They are more expensive,
but they are probably better cases than your cheapo desktop case for 50
quid.

--
John Riddoch    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Telephone: (01224)262721
http://www.scms.rgu.ac.uk/staff/jr/

------------------------------

From: "Albert Koning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pci videokaart met sis 6326
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:17:48 +0200

Linux werkt niet met de video kaart met chip sis 6326.
Waar vind ik een goede driver voor deze kaart?

------------------------------

From: Christopher Drexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.image.processing,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Digital frame grabber for Linux or FreeBSD ?
Date: 27 Jun 2000 15:30:21 GMT

In sci.image.processing Daniel Tso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Is there any decent *digital* frame grabber that is supported (has
> driver, etc) for either Linux or FreeBSD ? I would like to use a
> 12-bit digital camera with RS-422 outputs with either Linux or FreeBSD.
>         Thanks.

> Examples include: Matrox Meteor II/Digital, Matrox Pulsar, ITI ICPCI,
> Imagenation PXD-1000. Any of these supported ?

ITI IC-PCI framegrabber is supported to some extend.
Have a look at

        http://www.atlantek.com.au/~wes/linux/frame/drivers.html

for general information and

        http://www.gom.com/En/Service/itifg.html

for more information on the ITI framegrabber.

chris

--
Christopher | Snail: Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung (Informatik 5)
Drexler     |        Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg

------------------------------

From: "chris van dam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live! in Linux Problems!!
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:37:11 GMT

Could anyone tell me how to install my sblive drivers under Corel Linux 1.1?

I've tried everything, but everytime I trie to run the mixer it tells me to
"chmod...." bla bla

Can anyone help please????

------------------------------

Subject: Re: SB Live! in Linux Problems!!
From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jun 2000 11:38:36 -0400

"chris van dam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Could anyone tell me how to install my sblive drivers under Corel Linux 1.1?

> I've tried everything, but everytime I trie to run the mixer it tells me to
> "chmod...." bla bla

> Can anyone help please????

Please post the text of the error message. "chmod..." *what*? It makes a
difference.

-Greg

------------------------------

From: "W. Alan Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pci orinoco driver for linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:00:58 GMT

Srikant Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >       Can someone give me pointers to "PCI" drivers
> >       for lucent's orinoco (wavelan) card on linux ?
> >
> >       It seems that there is support for isa and pcmcia
> >       but couldn't get hold of pci drivers.
> > Every bit of help is apppreciated.

I am a long time WaveLAN user, both in mobile stations, and desktops.

The "PCI" WaveLAN solution is not a seperate PCI based card.  It is a
PCI based PC Card socket, and you use the normal PC Card based WaveLAN
in.

To utilize the PCI PC Card socket, you use the normal Cardservices, and
enable the "Extra sockets=1" (if memory serves) feature in the
configuration.  This will allow cardservices to see your new PC Card
socket.

>From that point, you utilize the traditional WaveLAN drivers.

Hope this helps.

Alan~

------------------------------

From: "Saxon Holbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Device Driver & Software Interface for Tape Library/Jukeboxes???
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:03:03 -0600

I'm searching for device drivers for a Standard Tape Library/Jukebox.  We
don't need anything advanced, just command line control of the robotics
using the standard set of SCSI commands.

Anyone heard of a solution out there?

Thanks,
    Saxon

------------------------------

From: sylvain hutchsion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:04:04 -0700

Hi, I don't know if exactly which newgroup to post this so I've posted
it in linux.setup as well, but anyway, I've tried to install Red Hat 6.1
on my PC, and I can't get the X-windows to work because of my graphics
card, it's on my motherboard, the adapter type is Intel Corporation 810
Graphics, controller Hub with only 4MB of memory. I was told to download
a driver or something, but I really don't know what to do!

Thanks a lot for any information you can give me.

Sly.

------------------------------

From: James T Mourra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:57:29 -0400

I have been having the same problem, with the same kernel, and printer...
I'm wondering if there is just a conflict between the epson driver and the
newer kernel (I updated from 2.2.12 to 2.2.14 and it worked fine under
both kernels) but the 2.2.16 update has been unable to print.

Ive looked EVERYWHERE, so if someone can post the answer, or even email
me, i would appreciate it too, since i rarely get to check back on the
newsgroups.

Thanks,

James Mourra

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: ATAPI CD ROM WRITER
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:09:57 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:50:44 -0400, C. C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

        The ide-scsi module will have the appearance of another host
        adaptor. So any SCSI device id's will shift (much like adding
        another partition to a DOS system) if you load ide-scsi before
        you load the module for your SCSI card.

        That could confuse any application trying to access devices under
        the old configuration.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: David Coulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:15:34 +0100

Robin Smith wrote:
> Also why do people start webservers with http://www , if you are using
> http then you could rename the webserver something more interesting
> such as http://help.xxxxxx

To identify what the machine does?

e.g.

mail server is called 'mail'
web server is called 'www' (why not http or web?)
ftp is called 'ftp'

It makes more sense to people who arn't familiar with your network. If you say
"Copy the configuration file from mail to www" it makes sense to pretty much
everyone, where as if you name your machines after lovecraft characters, it's a
little bit confusing.

--
  *  .  /\  .    .      .
 .   /\/  \  . *   (  *

------------------------------

From: "Saxon Holbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Library/Jukebox Device Driver???
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:16:21 -0600

Does anyone know of a simple device driver for a SCSI Tape Library/jukebox.
We're simply looknig for command like control of a library using the
standard SCSI Robotic command set.

Thanks,

    Saxon
=========
Saxon Holbrook
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network & System Administrator                             Phone: (406)
243-4239
NTSG, University of Montana                                   FAX:   (406)
243-4510
=========

"Boldly going nowhere,

indulging in my self-defeat,
                                         dedicated to the relentless pursuit
of mediocrity,
                                                                   every day
is better than the next."

------------------------------

From: Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:20:06 +0200

chris van dam wrote:

> Could anyone tell me how to install my sblive drivers under Corel Linux 1.1?
>
> I've tried everything, but everytime I trie to run the mixer it tells me to
> "chmod...." bla bla
>
> Can anyone help please????

Have a look at:
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/

Mine works fine with a self compiled beta driver

Good luck,
--
Marc

Logica: De kunst om het vol overtuiging bij het verkeerde eind te
hebben.
Remove nospam to reply

------------------------------

From: Kees Schrama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pci videokaart met sis 6326
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:25:31 +0200

> Linux werkt niet met de video kaart met chip sis 6326.
> Waar vind ik een goede driver voor deze kaart?

In XFree86-4.0. Earlier versions (XFree86-3.x) do not support this videocard.

kees
--
 When you walk on hot coals, seconds seem to last hours. But when you are
 in company of a beautiful woman, minutes seem to last only seconds.

------------------------------

From: John W Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:17:24 -0500

well actualy my ethernet card requires a special tulip driver wich I have
to download and compile. UNfortuntaley, where before it worked perfectly,
now it wont compile right under either distro (gives two "suggest
[something] to avoid ambigious else command" and when I try to use a
version I compiled before that worked it gives me the error "ismod cannot
handle [some long number]"
(Im at work so I cant look at the specifics right now)
The file is at
http://www.sohoware.com/SupportDownloads/Drivers/Drivers.htm

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installation problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:40:21 -0700

Hi,

driver for your video card is here

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/linuxsoftware.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/release_notes_1.htm

you will find there all what you need.

Andrey

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: insmod failed?
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jun 2000 10:40:10 -0600

"Devon Harding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Here is a copy of my "conf.modules"
>     alias eth0 ne
>     options ne io=0x300 irq=10
>     alias eth1 3c509
>     options 3c509 io=0x320 irq=5
>     alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>     pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
>
> I'm using RHL62

Then you should just be able to click the "start interface at boot
time" in the network control panel; or edit it manually in
/etc/sysconfig.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]