From: rbroman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't set using_dma = 1
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 08:21:48 -0700

Just purchased new 30GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP drives. hdparm -tT shows
they're slower
than older 27GB Deskstar 34GXP drives on essentially the same system
.... see below.

The systems are both PIII 533 on Tyan S1854 MB, uses Via Apollo Pro
82C586 chipset.
Running RH 6.2 with 2.2.14 kernels .... separately compiled, but I
thought I picked all the
right IDE options in xconfig in each case ..... maybe I missed
something????

Apart from slower performance, the "symptom" is that the new system
"won't take" setting
using_dma = 1 .... ie. I can set it to 1 with hdparm, but if I look at
hdparm *after* running the
timings I'll always see it set back to zero (using_dma    =  0 (off)).

Sooooo .... I can see why the new drive would be slower if I can't set
dma "on" for it, but I
can't figure out why I can't set dma "on". Anyone know?

Thanx, Randy

"New" System ......... Deskstar 75GXP, DTLA-307030

[root@jboat10 /root]# hdparm -i /dev/hda
 Model=IBM-DTLA-307030, FwRev=TX4OA50C, SerialNo=YK0YKT0M884
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16,
MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes
 LBA CHS=1023/256/63 Remapping, LBA=yes, LBAsects=60036480
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2

[root@jboat10 /root]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.58 seconds =81.01 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  8.43 seconds = 7.59 MB/sec

"Old" System ......... Deskstar 34GXP, DPTA - 372730

[root@jboat rbroman]# /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hda
 Model=IBM-DPTA-372730, FwRev=P78OA30A, SerialNo=JRYJR023925
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=1961kB, MaxMultSect=16,
MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, OldPIO=2, DMA=yes, OldDMA=2
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=53464320
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2 mode3 *mode4

[root@jboat rbroman]# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.83 seconds =154.22 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.87 seconds = 22.30 MB/sec

--
Randy Broman                    Linuxcare Inc.          Phone:(415)354-4495
Technical Account Manager       650 Townsend Street     FAX: (415)701-7457

------------------------------

From: Mike O'Dorney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics - ELSA and old monitor
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 08:22:00 -0700

I am running Linux 6.2 on an ELSA Gloria Synergy + (4 or 8 megs)
and using an old Digital PCXBV-BP monitor.

I can't seem to get any video above bare minimum (640x480, 8 bit).
Anybody got any clues?

Also, is there a repository of old monitor types - resolutions and scan
rates?
--
Mike O'Dorney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Postscript Level 1 printing under RH6.2
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:23:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (U S-D) writes:
> In article <8jtqsq$19ahr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, U S-D wrote:

>> I've recently upgraded from 6.0 to 6.2 and now my Postscript Level
>> 1 printer (OL840) refuses to play ball. Curiously, printtool's
>> Postscript test page is produced fine. I guess this is because it
>> conforms to PS level 1 whereas mpage output does not.

You can use Ghostscript's ps2ps utility to interpret arbitrary modern
Postscript into Postscript at Level 2 or Level 1.  This should produce
something useful for your older printer.   man ps2ps.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing HOWTO and Website:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/

------------------------------

From: Farget Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: [Q]: How to transfer file from SGI O2 to PC Linux Mandrake 7 ?
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:32:06 +0200

Hi,

A friend of mine own an O2 Silicon Graphics computer (with an ethernet
adaptater) running under IRIX 6.5 OS.
I have a PC PII (with an ethernet adaptater) running under Windows98 OR
Linux Mandrake 7.
My friend have used is O2 to digitize some video analog signal. As he
doesn’t have an SCSI CD-R writer, we want to transfer this mpeg file to
my PC to burn a Video CD.
So my question is :
As I know that I can connect the two computer using a (cross) RJ45
ethernet cable, what must I use (protocol, software,….) on the both
computer to simply do this transfer ?

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards.
-
Mr FARGET Vincent
E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Richard Gartner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: corelsupport.linux.corellinux
Subject: Sound problem
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:37:45 GMT

I have an Opti-Audio 16  (MAD 16) sound card, which was detected when=20
I ran sound_setup: unfortunately, its output is very quiet, even with=20
the volume turned up full, and drops out completely quite regularly. =20
Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong? I thought maybe it is=20
clashing with another device.  Here's my /proc/interrupts file:-

  0:    2398106          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      32887          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:    1746248          XT-PIC  eth0
  7:          2          XT-PIC  MAD16 WSS
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          6          XT-PIC  MPU-401 UART
 12:     440681          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     399610          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:      50348          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0         =20

This looks ok to my novice eyes, but perhaps there is something wrong.=20
 Here's the /dev/sndstat file as well in case that helps:-

e: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux sys004.bodley 2.2.12 #1 SMP Tue Nov 9 14:11:25 EST 1999
i686
Config options: 0
=20
Installed drivers:
=20
Card config:
=20
Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)
=20
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
=20
Midi devices:
0: Mad16/Mozart
=20
Timers:    =20

Config options: 0
=20
Installed drivers:
=20
Card config:
=20
Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)
=20
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
=20
Midi devices:
0: Mad16/Mozart
=20
Timers:
0: System clock
=20
Mixers:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) =20

Thanks for any help.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "Mohd Hamidi Mohd Nor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Installation Problem
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:03:58 +0800

Deslack <omark@!NOSPAM!bitsmart.com> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Mine also. Using RH6.2 but artnet external modem 56kbps connecting to 9
> pin
> > serial com port. This modem support linux and even have manual on
> > installation with RH Linux. I have follow the instructions but linux
still
> > can't detect my modem. Why???? Anybody.....help.
> >

> There's no such thing as 'linux detects modems'. You have to configure it
> yourself. If you are using an external modem, this should be pretty easy
> resolve. BTW, please include the details of the problem, error messages,
the
> COM port your modem is plugged on, your OS distro and version.
>
> (d)

I tried to configure myself but the error still appear. Ok....I connected
the modem to com1 and using Gnome RH6.2. One error message come when I try
to connect to internet. The message is "Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output
error. ERROR: Unable to initialize modem."

The second error message when I try to configure it manually. I checked the
com port using the command statserial /dev/cua0. Error message appeared was
"statserial: TIOCMGET failed: Input/output error." Ihave tried for all com
port. Still the same error msg. Could anybody help please.

------------------------------

From: Kevin Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 882 Problem
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:28:27 GMT

I using a HP 882 C Printer.  It was working great until a few days ago.
I am using the filter 550C/560C/6xxC that came with my red hat distro.
Again it was working great before a few days ago.  Now all I get is page
after page of garbage.  I printed a simple test text file that contained
the text "test" what came out was "phpq". ?

This is what I tried so far.

Turn off and on the printer
delete printer and /var/spool/lp directory and re-add
kill lpd and restart
unload and reload all modules (lp, parport, parport_pc, parport_probe)

none of these work.  I know there is a driver for the 882c but I was
having such good results using the above that I dont feel the need to go
to the trouble of dling and compiling.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: linux and USB
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:33:07 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 13:12:34 GMT, Kenneth Rørvik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Lodge) wrote in
><1E75F05A6AEFD311BF80009027784EB2017CDC@EARTH>:
>
>>Can someone please tell me, the latest status of USB support for Linux,
>>or point me in a direction where I can find out.
>
>www.linux-usb.org :)

        You might also want to check out www.linux-mandrake.com.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS Solo-1 sound card
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 09:42:49 -0700

You can try the ESS1969 driver at http://linnix.com.  It works for mp3
and wav, but not midi and realplayer.

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can I change thesettings to the system sounds in gnome/sawmill?
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 09:45:42 -0700

Download the ESS1868 driver at http://linnix.com.  RH is probably not
detecting the right sound chip.

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help getting USB setup
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:44:10 -0500

Derek Donnelly wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Have RH 6.2 running w/2.2.14-5.0 and downloaded 2.3.40.  Compiled for USB
> and added:
>
> /dev/sda1    /mnt/usbzip    vfat    noauto, owner   0 0
>
> to my /etc/fstab file.
>
> Noticed that the device(Iomega ZIP 100) is recognized during bootup, however
> when I try to mount the zip drive I get:  "wrong major or minor number".

I am using Mandrake 7.1, but the idea should be the same
my fstab reads
/dev/zip     /mnt/zip    auto    user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev 0 0

and /dev/zip is a symlink to /dev/sda4, rather than /dev/sda1

You also need to have usbcore, usb-uhci (or usb-ohci, depending on
which one you need) and usb-storage modules loaded

------------------------------

From: "Alex DeLarge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ???
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:14:59 +0100

Choose life, choose a distro, choose GPL/LGPL, Choose Corel, Choose being
hacked every 5 minutes your on the internet. Choose Slack, Choose sleepless
nights tearing your hair out, Choose Debian, Choose never being able to use
KDE, Choose a package format that always gets treated as second best to rpm.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else, I chose Guven Linux,
it's RPM compatible, but it fits in about 32 meg. In a few months, you can
choose Guven too, but in the meantime, you can mail me and join the beta
team.

Choose Guven.

<plug mode off>

--
Alex DeLarge - Guven Linux at 0.03rc2

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# wishlist.pl

do {
    $fuck;
    sleep;
    not $eat_meat;
    study $others;
   ($be, $held,
    $be, $pure)
    and $love;
} until each %day_is_done;
Karl E. Jorgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
> > C Sanjayan Rosenmund wrote:

Debian

> > > Debian (Potato) is available as a downloadable iso image (used to burn
> > > CDs) for testing.  Potato is *quite* stable and the CDs should work
> > > fine.  Otherwise, you can download the floppies (9 of them) and do a
> > > network install.  Why wait, upgrade to Debian *now*
> > >
> > > <grin>
> > > --
> > > Sanjay
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
> > >                             Press any key to reboot.
> >
> > I tend to wait for "official" releases of Debian.  It just seems easier
> > to wait for the official release than wait for a three day download.  (I
> > can't wait for my DSL connection, maybe then I'll change my mind.)  As
> > it is right now I can order a CD from LSL or Cheapbytes and have it
> > shipped faster than I can download the ISO of any distribution.
> >
> > Nathaniel Jay Lee
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I've got Debian Potato (using kernel 2.2.17) running on one of my ancient
> 66Mhz 486DXs. Runs without any problems whatsoerver. And it only has a
240Mb
> disk - and no cd-rom drive. I managed to get it installed over NFS -
turned
> out to be easy, once I stumbled on the right IO address for the network
card
> (no plug-and-pray here).
> In theory you should only need:
>
>    * Rescue Floppy
>    * Root image floppy
>    * 2 x driver floppy disk
>    * Network card (that you know the make/model/IO & IRQ of)
>    * NFS access to the cd (or 'bout 12 floppies) to get the base
>    * Internet access to retrieve any other packages you might want, e.g.
X,

------------------------------

From: "Steve Woodward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Laptop recommendation?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:39:03 -0400

Hi all! I am going to pick up a used or refurb laptop to run Linux on. I
just wondered if anyone had any experiences with a particular make/model
that was compatible. I currently run Caldera 2.4, and I would want to run X
on the laptop. Thanks in advance!

Steve W

------------------------------

From: "Terrance E. Hodgins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What the HE-- is this "chewtoy"
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:38:49 -0700

"Kenneth Rørvik" wrote:

> Seems that someone has been trying to bomb down the group. I sent a mail to
> the administrators of the offenders nntpserver, hopefully they'll have a
> look at it.

Thanks. The same thing happened to me. I was very surprised to see
my message copied and resent as if coming from
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]",
which I had never heard of. And I'm sure I don't have an email
account there.

What's the point, to waste bandwidth?

--
**************************************
*          Terrance Hodgins          *

------------------------------

From: "David Stackis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configuring Display in X
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:46:42 -0700

I have just installed RedHat 5.2....

I can log in under root, and initiate startx.....but when the gui comes up,
everything is so huge, I can't read anything....

How can I configure my display...

I am using a Diamond Monster Fusion w/16MB RAM on the card......it's not
recognized, and I'm trying to give it the proper resolution modes w/out any
luck.

Tonight I am going to try a S3 ViRGE card to see if I have any better
luck....

TAI
David Stackis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Nelson)
Subject: Re: Shutdown Linux box from NT Server?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:37:38 -0700

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.security and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, j.niess@uni-
bonn.de says...
> what about faking the UPS on the linux server with e.g. an old modem
> which gets non-UPS power?. It's the same setup as with cheap UPS'es
> without serial port.

Huh? How is this done? With no serial port?

> The UPS-Howto should tell you how to do it.

Nope.

------------------------------

From: Lauren Weinstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS 1978S audio fails on BATTERIES only
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:52:14 +0000

Greetings.  I have a (quite new) Toshiba notebook (1555CDS) which
runs Linux (2.2.14) fine.  When running on A.C., audio works
perfectly in all respects (using the maestro driver).  However, on
batteries, the audio (other than system warning beeps) fails
completely.  It is slow and totally distorted, as if the timing
is disrupted--for WAV, MPG, or whatever.  On the other hand,
the unit works fine on batteries for audio under Win98.
Any clues?  Thanks very much!

--Lauren--