From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Accelerator Card
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 05:42:00 GMT

NVidia just released the Geforce2 MX chip, which should be in video cards
pretty soon. It offers pretty good performance for the $$. Its supposed to
be around $120.

------------------------------

From: Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip drive
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:51:35 +1000

softrat` wrote:

> Well, do you really have a parallel port interface for your ZIP drive?

yes I do :-)

> (I don't. I have SCSI.) Did you enter 'mount /dev/zip' after you put a
> disk into the drive?

Not quite :-)

> (Your fstab entry indicates non automatic mounting:
> 'noauto'.)

So that's what that means

------------------------------

From: John Lines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hauppage WinTv Theatre FM Radio driver
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:54:30 +0000

Is there a linux driver for the FM radio tuner which is built in to the
Hauppage WinTv Theatre card.

I have the TV part working well using the standard drivers in the
2.2.17pre kernel but it would be
good to have the radio part working.

John Lines ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Denver Timothy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage Mobility and DVD
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:16:53 +0000

I will be investing in a laptop in about a month's time. I am
seriously looking at a Dell Inspirion 5000.

These are the specs I am considering:
600MHz Celeron
14" XGA+
12GB
64MB
8MB AGP ATI Rage Mobility
8x DVD

Of course I will run Linux, probably dual-boot Windows too. My main
concern is that the DVD will be hardware decoded. From what I
understand the video card will provide that. Anyone know if this is
true?

Also, while I am at, any comments on this investment are welcomed.

Thanks,
Denver Timothy

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?V=EDctor?= Escudero Rubio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Magneto-Optical
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:42:23 +0200

Somebody knows how to mount a 640 MB Fujitsu MO formatted in a
SCO-Server
with Linux RedHat 6.2?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.2 and Adaptec AHA 1542
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:08:56 +0200

Hi all,
after installing RedHat 6.2 on my system, the Adaptec AHA 1542 ISA
SCSI-Controller is not detected. Do i have to compile a new kernel or is
there a way to load only the module?

thanks in advance
tobi

------------------------------

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Short question about cdrdao
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:10:37 +0000

Does anyone know whether Andreas Mueller's cdrdao can handle
.WAV files (with header) correctly or do I have to convert them to raw?

Thx
Andras

------------------------------

From: "James A Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:34:30 GMT

This is a bug in Linux, Robert.  See, for example, Red Hat bug report 10418.
I know that Doug Ledford was - hopefully still is - trying to fix it, and
had managed a fix for some variants.  I have also seen that some people can
make this adapter work with older versions of Linux - some people get it to
work with, for example, RH 6.0 or 6.1 but not 6.2 and so on.

The adapter works fine with Windows NT, FreeBSD and Solaris, so this is
definitely a Linux problem.  I don't see any activity from Adaptecs side,
either, but then Adaptec adapters are not the only ones with a problem - I
have the same problem (in the same machine) with a Tekram card which does
not, so far as I know, emulate Adaptec and does not use Adaptec drivers.

One thing I would appreciated knowing is how you make these messages
visible.  I see the long dmesg list flash past on the screen when the kernel
starts but as far as I know I have no means of saving the messages to file
for later analysis, and when it comes to the normal start-up procedures I
get a small window saying 'Loading aic7xxx drivers' which just sits there
till reboot, and have not found a way to see any panic messages.  How do you
do it?

James

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Is my Athlon going bad?
From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:33:27 GMT

> Several questions,
> 1) Did your system become unstable after a software upgrade, or did it
> just happen?
> 2) Have you added any new hardware?
> 3) You mentioned that you were running Netscape when it hung, is it
> always Netscape that's running when it hangs? Netscape is a piece of
> crap that crashes all the time, and frequently wedges X Windows in the
> process. Ctrl Alt Backspace usually can fix it, but not always. Netscape
> is very sensitive to communications problems so if your internet
> connection has become less reliable then you'll see more Netscape
> problems.

I believe I found the reason to my lockups. Apparently there is a bug
in the ARLA (AFS) client which can prevent any disc access. This can
make the system seem freezed, and can explain why I could ping the
machine and establish port connections.

I have removed the ARLA daemon and it hasn't crashed in 18 days.

The earlier ARLA clients did not crash my machine which is why I
didn't suspect that the upgrade of the client would introduce such a
bug.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

regards,

Bernhard Ege

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Hauppage WinTv Theatre FM Radio driver
From: Daniel Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Jul 2000 11:03:19 +0200

John Lines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a linux driver for the FM radio tuner which is built in to the
> Hauppage WinTv Theatre card.
>
> I have the TV part working well using the standard drivers in the
> 2.2.17pre kernel but it would be
> good to have the radio part working.

It's easy to setup the bttv-driver to support the fm-tuner of
Hauppauge cards. Simply add "radio=1" to the options of the bttv
module in your /etc/modules.conf

hth, Daniel
--
"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."
                -- Marvin, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

@icq: 41472160 (kwaxi)                      @counter.li: #65688
@www: http://www.pfeilheim.sth.ac.at/members/d.wagner/
@gpg: http://www.pfeilheim.sth.ac.at/members/d.wagner/kwaxi.asc
      C63A 06F0 3E2A A039 E830  83A0 C1DA 3479 803F 078F

------------------------------

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel L440GX+
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:14:03 GMT

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a Linux server up and running on a Dual PIII-800 with
a pair of IBM Ultrastar lvd SCSI drives. The board is an L440GX+ with an
on-board Adaptec SCSI chipset. (AIC-7896)
(Sadly, it's not my desktop machine)

Now everything I've seen on this newsgroup seems to indicate that this
shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, every distribution and driver
I've attempted has frozen the machine while probing the SCSI. Thus far
I've tried RedHat 6.2, Caldera 3.0 (I think, I don't have the disk in
front of me), and Mandrake 6.1. I've also tried RedHat 6.2 with a driver
downloaded off their FTP server, though I don't know that that was
actually any different from the driver on the CD.

Is there anything I might have missed? Is there any chance that the
driver works on ultra wide but not Ultra2/LVD drives? (There are two
on-board SCSI connectors, and we're only using the Ultra2/LVD one.) I'm
particularly curious about this because after a failed installation, a
soft reboot fails, with an error negotiating wide SCSI (or something
like that). I probably should have written that error down, now that I
think about it.

I'm relatively new to SCSI - is there anything I should look at first?

Ah yes, and the machine works with other OS's, so the problem doesn't
seem to be faulty hardware.

--
mjo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Alan Winfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wireless advice (Wavelan)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:17:52 GMT

I am very successfully using the Lucent 11Mbs (silver) - now rebadged
Orinoco - cards in our LinuxBots.  Lucent ship Linux drivers with this card
(are they the first wireless LAN card manufacturer to officially support
Linux?), and I had no problem recompiling David Hind's PCMCIA package to
include the Lucent drivers.  (Note, the standard pcmcia package includes
drivers called wavelan_cs.o - these are for the OLD wavelan cards, ie DEC
Roamabout/DS.  The Lucent Wavelan/IEEE drivers are called wavelan2).

I have only used the PC cards, so cannot comment on the RG-1000.

I would not expect you to have a problem with wireless through house walls
(unless, that is, you live in a mansion!).  I have been using wireless LANs
successfully for 4 years, and have had no problem with cell phones, etc.
Wireless LANs use spread spectrum modulation which gives a very high
immunity to accidental (or deliverate) interference.

Hope this helps
Alan.

_______________________________________
        Prof Alan FT Winfield
   Associate Dean, Head of Research
  Faculty of Engineering, UWE Bristol
tel: +44 117 976 2534
fax: +44 117 976 3873
Personal web page:
http://www.ias.uwe.ac.uk/~a-winfie/
_______________________________________

Michael Meissner wrote in message ...
>I'm about to spend some money to add wireless support to my setup (I want
>hook up one laptop to my other computers and the internet).  How is the
support
>for the current 11 Mbs gold orinoco (wavelan) cards in 2.2.x and 2.4.x of
>Linux, for both the pcmcia card and the card inside of the ISA adapter?
>
>Have you used the residential gateway (RG-1000)?  If so, what are your
>experiences in connecting to an existing network?  Is it even shipping?
>
>I have multiple computers that are all in the basement, so if I go for the
ISA

------------------------------

From: "James A Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Not the usual AIC7xxx problem - I think
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:30:14 GMT

Setup is a Fujitsu H532i Team Server with dual Pentium 100 MHz and dual
AIC7870 on-board SCSI.  The first SCSI adapter is loaded with 4 Seagate 2 Gb
drives (ids 0,1,2 and 4), 1 Matshita CD-ROM (id 5) and a HP tape drive (id
6).  I have been assuming that I have the traditional problem detailed
elsewhere but I have now managed to record the messages coming through
during rescue start, and I'm not getting the kernel panic messages others
are reporting.  Instead I'm getting reports of parity errors:

(scsi0:0:0:0) Parityerror during Message-In phase.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

[repeat of above two lines]

SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

[repeat of these four lines]

SCSI host 0 reset (pid 0) timed out again -
probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Parity error during Message-In phase

...and the system hangs and waits for Crtl-Alt-Del

Does anyone recognize this behaviour and have an explanation of what might
be wrong.  Is this just another symptom of the problem which others report
as a kernel panic?

Thanks in advance for any help.

James

------------------------------

From: "Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.5.5-15 Rh6 ftape compile
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:52:52 +0200

Hi!

I am trying to compile ftape-4.02 on the 2.5.5-15 RedHat 6 kernel - I am
getting various redifintion warnings and there is a structure called
"current" that lacks a certain member:

In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h,
                 from fdc-io.c:31:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h:861: warning: 'CONFIG_FT_NR_BUFFERS"
redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
fdc-io.c: In function "fdc_interrupt_wait":
fdc-io.c:433: structure has no member named 'timeout'
fdc-io.c:454: structure has no member named 'timeout'\
make[2]: *** [fdc-io.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ftape-4.02/ftape/lowlevel'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ftape-4.02/ftape'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I managed to silence the

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h:861: warning: 'CONFIG_FT_NR_BUFFERS"
redefined

by commenting the relevant line in autoconf.h - is this good or "bad" to do?
It has a value of 3 in my install.

As for the "fdc-io.c:433: structure has no member named 'timeout'" I have
looked at the source and surmised that there is a structure called "current"
that lacks this "timeout" member. Any idea where I can find this structure
definition? Is it part of ftape or the kernel sources? What type of variable
is this "current" variable?

I am trying to get ftape compiled in order to use an Iomega DittoMax Pro
with the dittoDash DX accelerator card (PCI?)

Any replies appreciated!

Fanx,

Stefan Viljoen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

------------------------------

From: kok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mknod for Parallel Ports?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:30:02 GMT

have the same problem,
have also done teh mknod   for lp3,lp4,lp5
than have i looked into the kernel sources ther are two  dir
1. /driver/char/lp.c  search #define LP_NO  3
the comment sais increase the number for more ports .
 done  , but no lp3 lp4 lp5 was found with this kernel ,

than /driver /misc/parport_pc.c ant the oher one parporXXX.c

i believe  regarding to the help doc of menuconfig tha the lpt driver is
now divorced in two parts
confirmed by the boot mesg.
first parport  than lp scanning
so juist tested the new kernel but no more lp` s than 0,1,2 are found
( my 4. lp is on 208 , than tested 268 ( 10 possible IO ports on the card )
next new kernel , only with lp support the same , notheing  as lp 0 lp1 lp2

new idea
in the lp.c and or the parport_pc are ports defined , might it be nescesary
to increase the array of the defined port adresses
?

.

From: kok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:30:03 GMT

since yesterday  on my sstem are 4 ports running , and i`m able to run 10
different ports
how to:
1. kerneldir /driver/char/lp.c  -> find # define LP_NO 3 <= 3 = number of
lpt`s increase to ... 5  or what you like
2.
/driver/misc/parport_pc.c
- there is a table in the end
tech wrote:
  search probe_one_port

add on the table a few linaes , as many as you need lpt`s
the first  row is te io of the port ( 3x8) the 2. row (7X8)  and leave the
other rows as the orginal  one above but  3X8 -= 7X8 and 2X8 =>6x8 where X
is the decimal of your port
but i use an isa 10 io  dual port card , now on 208 and 218 for lp3 lp4
trie it , make a kernel with full parport support as you like
i use kernel .2.2.16
 refferin to mknod
use mknod -m 660 lpX c 6 X  ( X device Number)
than chgrp lpx lp
 SUSE linux group sheme

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: mpeg capture from video capture card
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:00:49 -0400

> > Do you know an existing program (with sources) wich capture video from a
> > video capture card (bt chips) and save it in mpeg or quicktime format.
> > Without using Xwindows.

> broadcast2000.

Broacast2000 *uses* X. Not what he asked for. Other than that, though,
it's a really neat program.