Linux-Hardware Digest #504, Volume #13           Thu, 31 Aug 00 04:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux  installations?  Also--
(Dirty Old Man)
  flash/diskless Linux hardware project?? (Martin Brown)
  HP CDWriter SCSI support ("Brian Whiting")
  Re: confused which Adaptec SCSI card works with Red Hat Linux (Murray Eisenberg)
  Re: GeForce 2 Setup ("George")
  Re: why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux  (hac)
  Re: gforce 2 mx and x 3.3.6 (Jim Broughton)
  Zoom 2920 modem ("Joel C. Baese")
  Re: TurboLinux 6.0 install with a GeForce..Help Please or I will kill  (Jim
Broughton)
  Re: How to increase clock limit? (Jim Broughton)
  choosing ram...100 w/ecc or 133?! (Jonathan C Busey)
  Linux on Fujitsu ICL ErgoPro e440 ("Iain Hallam")
  Re: UDMA66 controller (Markus Kossmann)
  Two Symbios SCSI-cards in one system? (Jan Ekholm)
  Re: Getting Promise Ultra66 controller to boot in CHS mode? (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Kernel Option for PIII Processor? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: UDMA66 controller (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Quantum Bigfoot Probs with kernel 2.2.17 (Victor Rajewski)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dirty Old Man)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux  installations?
Also--
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:28:00 GMT

With Linux it will not let you install if the equipment is bad -
unlike your other leading OSs - with them you get random reboots, blue
screens and the other good S**t.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Brown)
Subject: flash/diskless Linux hardware project??
Date: 31 Aug 2000 02:36:21 GMT

I seem to remember a linux (?) hardware project that replaced a hard drive
with some sort of high capacity electronic (flash??) media card.

Can anyone point me to such a project?

Or to a site that has or has links to similiar projects?

Thank you.
--
                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

 NEW!!  PGP Public Key ID: 0xCED9BD8A  Key Server: http://www.keyserver.net/en/

------------------------------

From: "Brian Whiting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP CDWriter SCSI support
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:51:43 -0400

I have an IDE HP 8210i CDWriter.  In the past I enabled SCSI support
successfully and XCDRoast detected the drive.  I have since replaced my RH
6.1 installation with RH 6.2 and cannot remember the steps I took to enable
the CDWriter to appear as a SCSI device.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:56:48 -0400
From: Murray Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: confused which Adaptec SCSI card works with Red Hat Linux

The Adaptec 2940U2W (Ultra 2 wide) card definitely works with Red Hat
6.2 on my Dell Dimension XPS P166c.  As I recall, detected automatically
at installation.  I'm running an IBM Ultrastar 9LP (9 GB) HD, model
IDGHS-0902 on the internal U2W connector; an Iomega 1 GB Jaz on the
non-U2W internal connector; and both a 250 MB Zip and a 100 MB Zip on
the external connector.

Just one problem at RH 6.2 installation:  it recognized only one of the
two external Zips.  Once RH was running, I had to add a device for the
other, along with appropriate entry in the Gnome desktop directory so it
would also show up on the Gnome desktop.

--
Murray Eisenberg                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)

------------------------------

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeForce 2 Setup
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:38:25 -0600

Any luck with the 3D Prophet II GTS 64Meg card?  I'm in the same boat.
Thanks
George
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:45:46 GMT

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> True, good possibilities, but I still see a lot of postings where lots of
> bad hardware is suddenly discovered upon Linux installations... One would
> wonder why didn't these problems didn't appear before they changed from
> other leading brand OS...

The key word is "discovered".  Another is "appear".  Appearances can
be deceiving

Sometimes the hardware has always been broken, and just never been
tested well.  Users of some operating systems may think nothing of
random lockups and reboots.

Sometimes the hardware has always been broken, and there are software
work-arounds that avoid the problem.  For some reason, hardware
vendors don't like to publicize this.  They let the commercial OS
companies know the work-arounds.  Sometimes they let free OS kernel
hackers know, and sometimes they don't.  Look at the kernel source for
plentiful examples of dealing with broken/non-compliant hardware.

Sometimes the OS just ignores the error.

Some operating systems come from paternalistic companies that don't
want to confuse you with too much information.

Component data sheets have errors.  Parts don't work quite the way the
book says.  Go to developer.intel.com and look at the errata sheets
for some of their processors and motherboard chipsets.  Intel is no
worse than anyone else; better than most, in that they publish all
known errors.  Board designs have their own limits and errors, but are
less likely to be documented.  Products with obvious faults don't get
shipped.  Products with faults that only show up with unusual
combinations of events do get shipped.  Linux attempts to get the most
out of the resources you give it, and that means that more sequences
and combinations get exercised.

Here's an analogy for you.  In the past, infectious diseases were the
most common cause of death.  Improved sanitation and medicine have all
but eliminated those diseases in the industrialized world.  More
people die from causes associated with old age.  Clean water didn't
make those people die from heart attacks; the heart attacks showed up
when the other causes were eliminated.  The same is true with marginal
hardware.  Linux didn't cause the marginal hardware; the unreliable
hardware showed up more when the unreliable software was eliminated.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gforce 2 mx and x 3.3.6
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:51:59 GMT

Holger Kral wrote:

> hello,
> i ahve installed suse6.4 with xfree3.3.6. i'm using an els erazor 3 pro
> and it works fine. now i want to buy this ne hercules 3d prophet 2 mx.
> does anybody know, whether it works with 3.3.6?
>
> thank you,
> holger
> http://www.holgerkral.de

 Not to my knowledge. You will probably have to upgrade to
xfree86 4.0.1 AND get the nvidia drivers in order to use this
card. (what chipset does the erazor 3 pro use??)

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: "Joel C. Baese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux
Subject: Zoom 2920 modem
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:54:14 -0700

I tried for a long time to get my Diamond modem to work under Linux to no
avail (I found out it's a Winmodem). I just bought a Zoom 2920 PCI modem
because it is advertised to be geared for Linux compatibility. The Zoom
Website advertises this modem as designed for Linux and Windows use. Does
anyone have this model in use under Linux? Has anyone heard anything, good
or bad, about this particular model?

Thanks in advance.
Joel

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TurboLinux 6.0 install with a GeForce..Help Please or I will kill
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:58 GMT

AGP wrote:

> I am trying to install TurboLinux 6.0 on my machine
> but I have a GeForce card and the video probe does
> not detect my card. i pick SVGA of the X server and then
> i choose evry resolution but the video test fails on all and
> then i cant cancel out of it so im just stuck there with no where
> to go. How can I install the OS if i cant install the video drivers
> to actually see what im doing. If someone could give me a step
> by step so that i can get this thing running that would be helpful.
> I know some stuff about Linux but for the most part im not sure how
> the install functions. I do have two RPM's from the Nvidia site.
> one is a GLX and the other is a kernel. not sure what to do with those
> or how i can incorporate them into the install.
> PLEASE HELP. Im very computer literate and this stuff just boggles
> me. im starting to understand why so few people switch or test Linux.
> anyways,
> tia
> AGP
>
> send me a direct emnail if possible.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (remove the no spam to send)
> thanx

> Please remove the spam killer in my email address before
>  replying to via email.

 I replied to your email to me but I guess you just left out some of this!
 The linux community is in NO way resposible to supply us with drivers
for everything that is bleeding edge. The geforce 2 is just that. That is the
resposibility of a manufacturer. Anyway I have a step by step explaination waiting
in my drafts folder for you. When you get the OS up and running (even if in
console mode (install but do not configure X)) send me some mail and I will send
you the step by step instructions (rather lenghty and wordy).

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to increase clock limit?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:06:42 GMT

Bingfeng Mei wrote:

> I just installed a RedHat6.2 on my Dell GX110, which uese 810e
> motherboad.
> Now there is a problem. I want the XServer run at 1280X1024 X 85 Hz. But
>
> the system always report a fatal error, which said the clock frequence
> (about 157
> MHz) execeeded configured limit (128 MHz). My monitor(P790) and graphic
> card all
> support this resolution and refresh rate. But where can I modify this
> limit (128 MHz)? I spend
> much time to look for where this limit is located, but failed. Who can
> tell me? Thank you.

Get your monitor manual out and look in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config
there you will find a section that contains monitor refresh rates Hsync and
Vsync. Replace the values in that file with those from your monitor manual.
Restart X.

From: Jonathan C Busey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: choosing ram...100 w/ecc or 133?!
Date: 31 Aug 2000 00:54:47 -0400

I don't if anyone else has faced this dilemma (I've combed through all
the news and online info possible), but I'm about to buy memory and it
looks like I'll have to make a sacrifice.
I want 128meg of pc133 cas2 ecc ram, non-generic, with a lifetime
warranty.  I can't find it anywhere.  Corsair makes pc100-222 ram w/ecc
and pc133-222 ram but only without ecc.  It seems to be similar with
micron and Kingston, which means I must
a) give up ecc
b) settle for pc100
c) spend big and buy a 256 stick, which definitely don't need.
The unit will have an abit kt7 board (no raid) with a duron 600 and
will be a file server and burner, at least to start.  I plan to keep
it very busy.

My question is, will I miss the ecc or the pc133-ness more?
Edition 17 of c't shows the kt133 chipset compiling a kernel only 2
seconds faster with pc133-222 as opposed to pc100-222, but since I'll
be adding ram modules and upgrading the processor at some point, I
don't want to limit myself to pc100 ram from the beginning. The speed
seems less important to me than the security of ecc, but postings on
/. seem to degrade ecc as unnecessary and downright overkill nowadays.
what's the truth?
why don't sites like sharkeyextreme.com, tomshardware.com,
anandtech.com et al talk about things like this?  This decision has
been holding up my purchase for over a week now.
Any light anyone could shed on the matter would be *greatly*
appreciated!
Jon

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.sys.icl,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.os.linux
From: "Iain Hallam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Fujitsu ICL ErgoPro e440
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:51:38 GMT

I've got several old 486s that I'd like to run Linux on, and have been
trying to get RedHat 6.2 going on them. They're ICL e440s (as Subject) and,
by upgrading them to 12MB RAM, I can get the network install disk to fetch
the second stage loader. However, once everything is loaded, the installer
complains that it has no devices, and asks if I'd like to add some. If I say
no, it dumps me out of the installer and unmounts the filesystems, but if I
say yes the only choices are some SCSI devices and some Network drivers. I
assume that the hard disks are not being detected correctly, although the
initial boot of the kernel from RAM seems to see hda (I don't recall it
finding b, but it goes by quite quickly). Does anyone know what controller
the ICL ErgoPro e440 has for IDE?

Thanks,

Iain Hallam.
--
www: http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/iain/
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA66 controller
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:32:51 +0200

Ralph wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, and I am planning to instal Corel's second version.
> My question is:
> -will my UDMA66 controler from ABIT, where I have my 2 HDDs connected,
> work under Linux?...
> I've asked both Corel and Abit and they didn't care to answer!

You probably have to give the right kernel parameters to get the UDMA
controller detected. See Linux HPT366 mini-HOWTO
(http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/) for a detailed
desciption)
And you might want build a kernel with the ATA patches ( from
www.linux-ide.org) to get full support for UDMA 66.
--
Markus Kossmann

From: Jan Ekholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Two Symbios SCSI-cards in one system?
Date: 31 Aug 2000 09:24:15 +0200

Hi all,

I've had some problems with my system. I've a Symbios NCR875 UW SCSI card
which has been controlling two UW disks and a Zip, CD as well as a tape
station too. It has all worked just fine for over a year, not a single
problem I know of.

Recently I got a few new LVD disks I wanted to plug in too. I wanted to
get the LVD benefits so I got a new Symbios NCR896 card and plugged that
in too. My Asus motherboard has a SCSI BIOS installed and through it I
could see that the motherboard found both adapters and all disks and other
peripherals just ok. I formatted the new disks too, so there shouldn't be
any termination problems either. Two cards should work ok according to the
SCSI-HOWTO and other docs I've found.

Linux detects both adapters just fine, printing a lot of informational
messages, but it only detects the two old disks and the other peripherals
I have in the 875 card (the old stuff). None of the three new LVD disks
are detected, the kernel simply says it found "0 hosts" on the 896 card.
The system works otherwise as usual with no errors and nothing in the
logs, so apparently the driver just did not find any disks?

I've tried both the ncr53c8xx and the sym53c8xx drivers, but with the same
result. Could a newer kernel work? I still use 2.2.12, but I've so far had
no reason to upgrade.

Any ideas? Has anybody else done this?

Regards,
        Jan Ekholm

--
====================+========================================================
Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |     Balrog New Media    http://www.balrog.fi/

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting Promise Ultra66 controller to boot in CHS mode?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:32:46 GMT

==============B5E7A6412B5EDFE042B33C04

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
to work in CHS
LBA on
is
Have you tried adding the global option:
so.

==============B5E7A6412B5EDFE042B33C04

begin:vcard
n:Tyrer;James Richard
tel;fax:call first
tel;home:(520) 648-3720
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:JRT Engineering
adr:;;1468 North Rio Sonora;Green Valley;Arizona;85614-4007;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;2
fn:James Richard Tyrer
end:vcard

Subject: Re: Kernel Option for PIII Processor?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 31 Aug 2000 03:42:59 -0400

"Chan Chung Hang Christopher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Maybe Pentium II/III and SMP support might be better?  Pentium II/III are
> newer versions of the Pentium Pro with MMX btw.

P3's also have some other feature, the name of which I forget.

In terms of important things, however, the P2 and P3 are both
identical to the Pentium Pro - which is why Intel lumps all three into
the same category.

--
Eric McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"rash, n. Insensible to the value of our advice."
        - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:48:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralph) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm new to Linux, and I am planning to instal Corel's second version.
>My question is:
>-will my UDMA66 controler from ABIT, where I have my 2 HDDs connected,
>work under Linux?...
>I've asked both Corel and Abit and they didn't care to answer!

As suggested, see the HPT366 mini-howto. Give the correct parameters to
lilo on bootup of the installation, and install. You should then build a
kernel that supports the HTP366 chipset fully. I strongly recommend getting
the latest 2.4.0-test7 kernel. On my setup, the 2.2.17 patched kernel froze
when trying to detect my Firevall drive on the primary channel on the
HPT366 board. Upgrading the kernel to 2.4.0-test1 fixed the problem. THere
are other issues too, such as possibly wanting to build the kernel with
"boot offboard chipsets first" option. Take a look at the help texts when
configuring the kernel.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Victor Rajewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quantum Bigfoot Probs with kernel 2.2.17
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:54:01 +1100

Hey y'all

I've been having a few problems with my hd:
hda: QUANTUM BIGFOOT_CY4320A, 4134MB w/67kB Cache, CHS=527/255/63
, namely it hangs the system for a few seconds every few minutes, giving
the folowing msg to the console :
Aug 31 09:57:22 is kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Aug 31 09:57:22 is kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest }

I have managed to disable DMA on this hd using hdparm (and eventully
recompiling the kernel), solving the problem. Hwever, it'd be kinda nice
to use DMA (Speed, efficiency, etc). I think the drive can handle DMA mode
2 multiword transfers. This problem has only started occuring in the last
month or so - I have been running linux on it for a while with no problems
(redhat 6.1 - I think that had a 2.2 kernel). I'm using debian with a
2.2.17 kernel now, but the problems started b4 I changed over.

Could it be that my HD is starting to die, or is there some
misconfiguration or a bug or something?

ciao

vik

[EMAIL PROTECTED]