From: NTK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Optical Mouse??
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:30:05 -0000

Is anyone using "Logitech Dexxa Optical Mouse" or "Logitech iFeel Optical
Mouse" and does the wheel work?

BTW, the former is a cheaper version of "Logitech Optical Mouse" and it
concerns me because the wheel of my OEM Logitech wheel mouse does not work
in Linux.

THanks

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: custom print (PCL/PJL) commands
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:33:26 GMT

In article <8ohe8f$eu7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to add a couple of raw PCL commands to my print documents, in
> order to change the output tray on a big printer that I have.  It seems
> that it would be easiest to set up 2 different queues, 1 for each output
> tray, and add something into the print filter for each of those that
> specifies the output tray, but I've been unable to find where I should
> add that.  I'm using RH62, and ghostscript 5.5.  Anybody want to give me
> a pointer or two?
>       Greg
>
> P.S.  The printer is a Canon imageRunner 60, but the Canon techs haven't
> been able to help yet.
>
> --
> Troll, troll, troll your post
> Gently down the feed
> Merrily, merrily troll along
> A life is what you need...
> Nicked from MAWA on the gnome-list
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You should be able to cat the correct PJL commands to the beginning of the
print stream via an LP filter, that will allow you to pick an output tray. I
don't have the PJL command list right now, but Canon should be able to
provide it. (I'd have to dig it up.) If you cann't get a response out of
Canon, contact EFI (Electronics for Imaging) in California. They are the
people who develop the RIPs for all of the ImageRunner products at present.
You might also be able to get the correct PJL command by using a Windoze
machine and capturing a print job to file that specifies the particular
output tray.

Todd
Systems Engineer

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:40:25 GMT

Hi,
    I have a Pentium 90 computer with 80megs ram and IBM
15GB hard drive. It has Win95 and Redhat Linux 6.1 on it.
There is a Promise Technology DriveMAX   bios extender card
in there.
   I have an old Fujitsu M-2624 ~525 mb hard drive with
Redhat Linux 5.1 on it. I have it set up as secondary master.
I am using the new Lilo version 21.5 and want to set it up
to be able to boot into either Win95 or the two versions of
Linux. My problem is that I can't get the Rh5.1 Linux to
boot. I get kernel panic. The Redhat 6.1 on the IBM drive
has no problems booting. I was thinking that it might
be a geometry problem for the Fujitsu drive. I can mount
it with Redhat6.1 which maybe means that it isn't a geometry
problem.
  I get the following message when trying to boot the Rh5.1:
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2
hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:0a: rw=0, want=1, limit=0
FAT bread failed
Kernel panit: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:0a

  If it is a geometry problem is there a way of feeding the
disk geometry of the Fujitsu drive to lilo through statements in the
lilo.conf file?
                                                     Thanks
                                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: Emilio Federici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux+RAID+Win2k dilemma
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:18:56 GMT

Hi everybody, I've been happily running for quite  a while my PC with
two Quantum Fireballs on a Abit Hot Rod controller with software RAID0
and Windows 98 on the second partitions of the two drives.
I've been using loadlin in order to prevent lilo from complaining about
the RAID0 not supported and/or the fact that the Windows partition is
located two far from the beginning of the HD (I don't remember what
cylinder number is the limit). This is tha partition table of the
booting HD:
Disk /dev/hde: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 19906 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1            63    263087    131512+  83  Linux
/dev/hde2        263088    526175    131544   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hde3        526176  10295711   4884768   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hde4   *  10295712  20065247   4884768    c  Win95 FAT32
(LBA)

Now I've got my hands on Windows 2000, and since it hasn't got a DOS
mode I can't find a way to run loadlin so I'm considering reverting to
lilo but will it be able to get rid of this messy configuration?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Emilio Federici
NUOVO INDIRIZZO-> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <- NUOVO INDIRIZZO

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:36:48 -0600
From: Ben Comfort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad Mouse

Chris A wrote:

>     I'm having a problem getting my mouse, a microsoft Intellimouse, working
> for X. Actually it works but only about every 50th time i try it. I use
> mouseconfig to set it up and i've tried all the different ttyS' and seriel
> protocals but nothing seems to work. I've also tried editing the xf86config
> file but it doesn't work there either. Any ideas?

Hi Chris,

I have a bunch of RH 6.1 users that have had problems
with the MS Intellimouse driver.
I have had no problems using the generic 3-button PS/2 Mouse
driver with Intellimice.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: "pl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 710 C
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:42:30 GMT

In article <8qilfp$nte$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "MkSkr"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "MkSkr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware
> Subject: HP 710 C Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:22:36 +0200 Organization:
> Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika WMiI Lines: 4 Message-ID:
> <8qilfp$nte$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> NNTP-Posting-Host:
> pinus.astro.uni.torun.pl X-Trace: ultra60.mat.uni.torun.pl 969726265 24494
> 158.75.6.49 (23 Sep 2000 16:24:25 GMT) X-Complaints-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2615.200 Xref: newshub2.home.com
> comp.os.linux.hardware:30149227
>

> I don't now how  to install HP 710 C printer. Can you help me ????

You need the pnm2ppa driver:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa/

------------------------------

From: "Typhon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Error occurs when installing RedHat Linux 6.2
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:20:39 GMT

=======_NextPart_000_000D_01C025AC.80E30C60

It sounds like a hardware problem, probably related to your computer's =
memory. Make sure you use the best quality memory available. Try setting =
the memory to CAS3 in the computer's BIOS, if CAS2 does not work.

Typhon

  "phlo9" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
  Dear all,=20
      I cannot successfully install RedHat Linux 6.2. After I use the =
Disk Druid to add the=20
  Linux Swap and Linux Native, the=20
  following warning is shown when I press "Ok":=20
      Installation exited abnormally - receive signal 11=20
      Ejecting CD rom=20
      You may safely reboot your system=20
      I do not know what it means and whether it is related to the =
hardware of my computer=20
  or not. I had tried for many times and the same warning was shown. I =
do not know how=20
  to deal with it. My computer has the following configuration:=20
      Display Card: ASUS V3800 TNT2 AGP4X=20
      CPU: PIII 733EB=20
      RAM: 128MB PC-133=20
      Harddisk: IBM UDMA 100 20GB 7200 rpm=20
      Sound Card: Creative VIBRA 128=20

      Could anybody help?=20
      Thank you for your attention.=20

=======_NextPart_000_000D_01C025AC.80E30C60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It sounds like a hardware problem, =
probably related=20
to your computer's&nbsp;memory. Make sure you use the best quality =
memory=20
available. Try setting the memory to CAS3 in the computer's BIOS, if =
CAS2 does=20
not work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Typhon</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"phlo9" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:3991520C.9ED52918@ie.=
cuhk.edu.hk</A>...</DIV>Dear=20
  all, <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I cannot successfully install RedHat Linux =
6.2.=20
  After I use the Disk Druid to add the <BR>Linux Swap and Linux Native, =
the=20
  <BR>following warning is shown when I press "Ok": =
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<B>=20
  Installation exited abnormally - receive signal 11</B>=20
  <BR><B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ejecting CD rom</B> =
<BR><B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You=20
  may safely reboot your system</B> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I do not know =
what it=20
  means and whether it is related to the hardware of my computer <BR>or =
not. I=20
  had tried for many times and the same warning was shown. I do not know =
how=20
  <BR>to deal with it. My computer has the following configuration:=20
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Display Card: ASUS V3800 TNT2 AGP4X=20
  <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; CPU: PIII 733EB <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RAM: =
128MB=20
  PC-133 <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Harddisk: IBM UDMA 100 20GB 7200 rpm=20
  <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sound Card: Creative VIBRA 128=20
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Could anybody help? <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank =
you for=20
  your attention. </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: "Kasper Souren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound problems with es1371
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:18:00 +0200

I'm running a Debian/Corel system with kernel 2.2.17 and the es1371 drivers
compiled into the kernel. The first days the sound worked perfectly, but now
my system hangs when trying to use the sound (i.e. I have to push the reset
button).
What could be the problem? I tried removing /dev/dsp and MAKEDEV -v sound.

cat /dev/sndstat only reports a Roland MPU-401, does the es1371 get listed
there normally?

I tried to subscribe to the Linux sound mailing list, but its majordomo
doesn't seem to be existing anymore. Are there other sources of info? Of
course I tried several HOWTO's and seearching with google. But nothing
helped :((

greetz,
Kasper

------------------------------

From: "tszeto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IOgear KVM anygood??
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:39:06 -0700

Has anyone tried IOgear's KVM switchbox with Linux??

It's about the same price as Belkins but it doesn't need a separate power
adapter (uses the power from keyboard), it's smaller, and it comes with all
the cables you'd need for the particalar model.

Any help appreciated.

From: "P.V.Subramanian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cable modem with Linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:44:58 -0700

Hi,
     I recently got cable modem from ROADRUNNER through TIME WARNER. What
should I do in Linux (Redhat 6.2) to use it? In Windows 98, I have setup the
servers as LAN rather than dial-up.

Thanks
PV

------------------------------

From: david grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound blaster Vibra 16
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:51:40 +1000

I don't know the answer to your question but the Vibra16 only
partially works on Redhat 6.2. It certainly plays CD's but won't work
with RealPlayer or Quicktime. That's when I finally tried the oss
packages from www.opensound.com. Voila -- all problems solved (at a
small cost).
I knw nothing about suse but I suggest you try the oss trial versions.
Good luck

------------------------------

From: MC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.2 & Panasonic CF-35 laptop pcmcia cards (network & modem)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:57:43 GMT

Hello,

I've installed RH6.2 on a Panasonic CF-35 laptop.  I'm trying to get the
pcmcia cards to work.  They are a Megahertz Telephony XJ4336-CC4336
modem and a FE574B-3COM 10/100 Lan Fast-Ethernet PCCard.

The pcmcia daemon is loaded at boot time.

For the network card, I don't know which driver to try when I set up the
network interface (eth0).  And I have no clue as to how to set up the
modem.

I don't know if the hardware is being recognized at boot time.

Help!!!

MCruz

------------------------------

From: jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.0 beta and Mitsumi scroll mouse
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:37:54 GMT

Change a line inside of your XF86Config line from PS/2   --->    IMPS/2

Restart X and see if that does it.  I sounds like that mitsumi needs to
used the MS mouse protocol.

Jack

------------------------------

From: vik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quantum Bigfoot Probs with kernel 2.2.17
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:50:06 +1100

Thanks for the reply - the diagnostic utility told me my HD passed with
flying colours  - I had another HD crash recently, which gave similar
messages, but they had nothing to do with DMA. I've been runnning this
HD without DMA for a couple of months now without probs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Redhat 6.2 and RAM problems
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:58:13 GMT

I am running a RedHat 6.2 install on a Fry's bare bones with 128 MB of
RAM.

I tried adding the line
append="mem=128M"
to my lilo.conf file and then reran lilo all that got me was a kernel
panic at boot and I had to do an upgrade just to re-install lilo, I
tried the "linux rescue" from the boot disk however that was to no
avail.

Anyway how can I get my box to see all 128 MB without kernel panic,
this machine is one of the generic overseas "everything on board"
motherboard machines.

Please respond to me via e-mail as I do not get back to the news
groups very often because of work.

Mixer

From: "david" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linksys lne10/100tx HELP!
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 00:04:59 -0400

mine isnt working at all
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

i get this errors which talk about unnamed variables
news:Snty5.89227$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...