Linux-Hardware Digest #820, Volume #13           Tue, 31 Oct 00 18:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card... (Eric Y. Chang)
  Re: Sony VAIO PCG-F540 Laptop Review
  Re: Soundblaster Live 1024 not starting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Dead Keys / Compose Keys ("Fiepel")
  turtle beach santa cruz (cs4630)
  Re: Looking for driver ("Dragan Colak")
  Re: FTP installation RedHat 6.2 with NE2000 compatible ISA card (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: Adaptec AVA-1505/1515 and Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro modem (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: RH7 Install Problem (Anthony Chippendale)
  Cannot find driver for Procom SCSI Host Adapter (Pavel Jurus)
  MainBoard PC100 M599LMR ("Paolo Picciolo")
  Boot failure with large disk (Peter Linde)
  Re: Boot failure with large disk (Tux)
  cdrecord (Mark Laczynski)
  Re: scanner recommendation (Webmaster SITE Spain)
  Abit KT7 raid (Francois Morvillier)
  Multiple monitors & Multiple cards ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Serial console problem ("Martin Graiter")
  Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
  PowerEdge 2450 (Eric Yellin)
  Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
  Mitsumi Scroll Mouse (Rob)
  Re: CGA (B'ichela)
  Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Y. Chang)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
Date: 31 Oct 2000 18:57:09 GMT

Why are specs needed?  Why does the driver fail when the version of the kernel
is updated?  Is it some kind of reliance on a structure or behavior that is
not there, or is it a bug caused by a poorly documented feature of the kernel?
The addresses are the same, and the registers are the same.  Is there a new
rogue process overwriting memory?

This kind of thing seems to happen all the time.  Does anybody know what the
root cause is?  It is a real weakness of Linux.

Albert A Arendsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Adam Majer wrote:
: >
: > I would like to ask again, what prevents you from releasing software
: > specs????? You do specilize in hardware, right? And hardware is USELESS
: > without software.

: What prevents me from releasing the specs? Well, let me see... First of
: all, I don't have the specs either. We're customer support, not
: development support. Second of all, even if I actually had the specs,
: they would likely be under NDA.

: --
: Albert Arendsen --- aka --- Reyn Eaglestorm
: >>>>> The Gods have a sense of humour <<<<<
: >>>>> So be sure you don't lose yours <<<<<
: http://home.student.utwente.nl/a.a.arendsen

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sony VAIO PCG-F540 Laptop Review
Date: 31 Oct 2000 11:57:25 -0700

In article <39f663aa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sony VAIO PCG-F540 Laptop Review
>
>http://www.mixedreview.com/view.phtml?18

You post to comp.os.linux.hardware with a review of a computer, that
does not mention a word about how it works with linux.

We want to know things like, how is the ide chipset?
    does the xfree-svga driver support the video?
    how about the sound device?  battery life?
    svga console mode?  network device?

This review is all about a sony vaio running windows.
When I read it, and I got to the part "after comparing the two, I left
the store with the Sony under-arm." I was hoping to learn how you
evaluated the unit in the store for linux compatability.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting if someone had a cd-r
that you could use in the in-store situation to evaluate the compliance
and supportability of machines *before* buying them, and without having
to format a disk (which they're not going to let you do in the store,
I expect.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live 1024 not starting
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:41:06 -0600

John Rowe wrote:

> I am trying to run a Soundblaster Live 1024 under RedHat 6.2.  I've
> compiled kernel 2.2.17 with Creative SBLive. On startup I get:
>
>  Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.6, 14:46:00 Oct 31 2000
>  emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 8 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0xe800-0xe81f, IRQ 19
>
> But there's no sign of any initialisation and cat /dev/sndstat gives me:
>
> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
>
> I've tried ./MAKEDEV audio from within /dev
>
> I could be missing something really obvious here as I've not used
> sound before.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> John
  What kind of machine are you running this on? I don't know, but I am
pretty sure that IRQ 19 isn't a valid PC IRQ. If this is a direct copy
and not a misprint, then the card is not starting up correctly. Other
than that, since there are no error lines, I believe that this is what
you should see. Look into that IRQ value and write back. Make sure that
in the BIOS, the "Boot with Plug N' Play OS" or similar option is set to
disabled or off. It won't hurt windows and Linux works better if it gets
full control of resource management. Good look.
--
remove nospam and replace with putzin to reply to me!
Pete Buelow

------------------------------

From: "Fiepel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Dead Keys / Compose Keys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:26:41 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to get Dead Keys working on Redhat 7.
According to the installation procedure this should be simple, but it is
explained nowhere how to use dead keys (not in the manual or the man
pages!).

>From the keymaps I would say that I can press the Printscreen key
together with a compose character (e.g. "~") followed by a letter (e.g.
"n"). But whatever combination I try,... nothing...

If you can help, thanks!

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: turtle beach santa cruz (cs4630)
Date: 31 Oct 2000 12:18:35 -0700

What's the word on the cs4630?  When I gave up on the
SBLive (supported, but low quality), I got a turtle
beach santa cruz (much higher sound quality, no linux support),
and now I'm hoping that the alsa or oss driver  will suddenly
materialize.  Is there a development driver?  How different
is the 4630 from the supported cs461x's?  I don't know enough
to hack the driver myself, but I'm looking at it, hoping to
get my brain around it.

Is the lack of support a matter of noone working on it yet,
or is it another one of those manufacturer iron curtain problems?

From: "Dragan Colak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for driver
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:24:56 +0100

AFAIK Xircom doesn't provide linux drivers.

But I have a Xircom 10/100 + 56K Modem in my
OmniBook running SuSE 7.0 Pro and after starting
the pcmcia daemon the pc card (NIc and Modem) gets
recognized automaticaly. I don't need to install
any further drivers.

Hope this helps

Dragan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FTP installation RedHat 6.2 with NE2000 compatible ISA card
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:36:04 +0100

Thomas Eisenzopf schrieb:

> When I try to install RedHat 6.2 with FTP installation on a PC with a NE2000
> compatible ISA card I have the problem, that the card is not recognized. The
> installtion disk seems to support only NE2000 PCI cards, not ISA. Is this
> possible?

I do not know whether the NE2000 ISA driver is built into.
However, make sure you have a kernel with NE2000 ISA support.
Plus you have to tell the kernel about IRQ and interrupt.
At the LILO prompt you have to write:

ether=10,0x280,0,0,eth0

if  IRQ is 10 and interrupt is 0x280.
I f you boot from CD-ROM you can tell about these parameters when being asked
for.

Martin.

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AVA-1505/1515 and Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro modem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:12:01 +0100

Sutto Zoltan wrote:

> I have an Adaptec AVA-1505/1515 ISA  SCSI controller and a Syquest270MB
> hdd(0x340, IRQ11/Linux
> supported and AHA152x compatible) which I can not able to get work under
> RedHat 6.2.
> And I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro PCI modem (Winmodem) with the same
> problem.(IRQ7, 0xe400)
>
> I have tried the following for my SCSI controller
> 1. Compile the kernel with modules and SCSI support.
> 2. Bootparams   append="reserve=0x340,16 aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"

Did you compile the aha152x driver as module ?
The you have to give the parameters in the command when loading it with
modprobe/insmod or in the /etc/modules.conf file.
And you want to read http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
--
Markus Kossmann

From: Anthony Chippendale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: RH7 Install Problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:42:58 +0000

Thank you very much...I will give it a try.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:42:09 +0100
From: Pavel Jurus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cannot find driver for Procom SCSI Host Adapter

     I'm newbie to linux and I have installed  RedHat 7.0 recently. I
have pretty old SCSI host adapter card on board called "Procom ISA SCSI
Xelerator". I have one HD (fortunately I have another IDE HD that I use
as boot),  CD, and magneto-optical disk hooked on that card and I really
would like to use them. I can use it under Windows NT or DOS without any
problem but I cannot find any driver under linux. I tried to search
on internet but only drivers I found are some old NT drivers.

    Is there any way for me to get that card going or should I give up?
Only action I did so far is to recompile
the kernel with support for all available  SCSI host adapters, but I
don't know what to do now .

Pavel Jurus

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Picciolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MainBoard PC100 M599LMR
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:48:04 +0100

I've a PC-CHIPS M599LMR with a AMD K6-2 400MhZ and when I try to install
Linux RedHat 6.2 the install program lock the machine when it reach the
graphic part. Someone can help me?

Paolo Picciolo

------------------------------

From: Peter Linde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Boot failure with large disk
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:16:53 +0100

Hi,

I have a got new 10 GB Fujitsi IDE disk in my 2 year old laptop. The
BIOS sees about 8 GB. In spite of several tries and reading available
HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs, Linux fail to boot off the disk, LILO stops with
an 'L'. It works normally with the boot floppy. The disk has slightly
more than 19000 tracks. To avoid the 1024 track limit, I have tried both
putting a 40 Mb '/boot' as the first partition  or simply a '/', but all
fails. Should mention that my first installation attempt  was Windows
2000, which I intend to have on the same disk. That installation was
however overwritten by subsequent Linux installation attempts.
In my latest test, '/boot' comes up as /dev/hda1, while '/' shows as
/dev/hda5.

Need help..

Best wishes,

Peter Linde

Lund Observatory,
Sweden

------------------------------

From: Tux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Boot failure with large disk
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:10:42 +0100

I know the problem of lilo stopping with 'L' instead of starting the
system.

Try to reinstall lilo (do you start from the boot sector you have
installed lilo in?). Then it should work.

Have a nice day
Tux

------------------------------

From: Mark Laczynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:02:08 -0500

for some reason i cannot burn any audio onto a cd, eventhough data has
no trouble. i've tried burning .wav and .cdr but it doesn't work either

# cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -audio imagine.cdr  or .wav
or
# cdrecord -v -pad speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -audio imagine.cdr or .wav
gives me the following

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'LG      '
Identifikation : 'CD-RW CED-8080B '
Revision       : '1.04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 1024000 = 1000 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: audio  72 MB (07:13.64) no preemp swab
Total size:      72 MB (07:13.64) = 32523 sectors
Lout start:      73 MB (07:15/48) = 32523 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 4
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11849 (97:24/01)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 25
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 327326
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 8 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   0 of  72 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1B 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x64 Qual 0x00 (illegal mode for this track) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

write track data: error

i don't know what else i can do can anyone help me?
thanks mark

ps please send  a copy to the usenet list and to my email thankyou

------------------------------

From: Webmaster SITE Spain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scanner recommendation
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:26:18 +0100

Ramin Sina wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a scanner that comes with its own linux driver? If
> not, what is a good scanner that has a good sane driver? I have a
> microtek scanmaker X6EL which has a flimsy sane driver. I'm looking for
> a new scanner that works flawlessly with linux.
>
> Thanks,
> Ramin Sina
> RH 6.2  Kernel 2.2.16

Hi.

I use an HP ScanJet 5p with its own SCSI card, without any
problem for long time and continuous use.

All I needed to do was:

        a symbolic link /dev/scanner -> /dev/sga

        modprobe sym53c416

I use SuSE 6.2 with the generic IDE kernel 2.2.10
included in the distribution.

For the scanner to do something, you need SANE.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

Check SANE page for status of supported scanners.

One great thing (If you have a NT-Linux dual boot
machine like me) is that the HP ScanJet 5p works
great on both Linux and NT.

Regards.

--
Webmaster SITE Spain
http://www.site-spain.com

From: Francois Morvillier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit KT7 raid
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:35:11 +0100

Hi,
I have an Abit KT7 raid motherboard.
My hard drive is on IDE3.
Mandrale 7.2 installed correctly but it won't boot (lost interrupt).

Does one of the main distributions support the card out of the box ?

Alternatively, I tried swapping my disk to IDE1 or 2 but the bios just
failed to find the disk. What may have caused this ? If there is a
solution to having the bios see my disk, how will the change affect my
windows partition ? Will it still boot ?

Thanks.

FM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Multiple monitors & Multiple cards
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:08:03 GMT

I'm thinking of buying a new system, and something I'd really like is
multiple monitors. I understand Xfree86 supports dual head systems, and
I was wondering if this configuration would work: a GeForce2 Ultra AGP
card with a Voodoo5 PCI card. The Xfree86 FAQ currently does not list
either of these cards being supported, but I was wondering if anyone
has had any luck running the GeForce Ultra under the nv driver? What
about Voodoo5? Anyone know when this card will be supported?

Thanks.

-Jeff

From: "Martin Graiter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial console problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:53:44 +0100

"Taechul Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8tbsju$cil$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

: I setup serial console on Redhat 6.2 and I got messages from
: remote computer with serial cable. It start with Linux : ....
: end with login :. But I can't stroke any key to send a
: command to remote computer.
: In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt, it is
: possible to send a command and login with remote console, but
: i can't.
:
: I modify /etc/lilo.conf
: ---------------------
: serial=0,38400n8
: appenc="console=ttyS0,38400"
: ---------------------
: and lilo -v
: and rm -f /dev/console /dev/tty0
: and rm -f /etc/ioctl.save
:
: What is my problem..? Anyone can use serial console..?

Is that a "real" serial console (Wyse, Tanberg, etc) or another
computer? Your cable could be missing a line? The equipment at
the other end should be configured for the same speed,
handshake, parity etc. Try a lower speed first. 9600 or lower
should be sufficient for this purpose. Skip the hardware
handshake too. Satisfy it locally on each side.

MG

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 31 Oct 2000 15:24:35 -0700

Albert A Arendsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If the choice were mine, all OpenGL drivers would be GPL-ed immediately
>- heck, all Linux drivers for all S3 and Diamond products would be
>GPL-ed, and funds diverted towards development for Linux.
>
>Unfortunately, the choice isn't mine. I do work for S3/Diamond, but as
>you are probably well aware of, companies aren't democratic.

Have you actually raised this comment, or are you just saying "if the
choice were mine but it isn't?"

The linux community is not asking the company to devote resources to
driver development or to GPL anything.  We are merely asking for the
information required to operate the hardware.  That information is being
denied for reasons that don't make much sense.  It doesn't do any good
for you to try to redirect the issue to one of "the GPL" because the
GPL is not relevant to this discussion.  Just because someone might
want to write a driver and license it under the GPL is no reason for
you to try to use it as an obstacle.

Devices that require a software component in order to function, should
have the information available to create that software component.  It's
a fundamentally broken means of distributing equipment that does not
provide this information.  It's only the sheer popularity of MS Windows
that even makes this method possible.  And of course, all the hardware
that *only* can work under Windows because of arbitrary business decisions,
only forces people to run Windows who might otherwise have alternatives.

So I ask you, mister Arendsen.  Have you actually brought up the topic to
anyone at S3/Diamond, or do you just post to Usenet saying you wish you could?
Is that your idea of doing something about a problem, wishing?

Radios used to always come with schematics.

------------------------------

From: Eric Yellin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PowerEdge 2450
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 00:24:10 +0200

Anyone using Linux with PowerEdge 2450?
I'm considering on buying one and would love to get opinions from others
using it:
- Stability
- Use and management
- Raid - (any problems)
etc.

Thx. Eric

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 31 Oct 2000 15:28:00 -0700

Albert A Arendsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>They could, they should, and if I had any say in it, they would. But, as
>I have already said previously, companies aren't democracies. I will
>continue to send up reports of inferior Linux support, and I hope
>they're going to do something with that

To whom do you send these reports?

It sounds like we should skip you, and discuss this with someone who
doesn't have to wish for authority to make suggestions.

------------------------------

From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mitsumi Scroll Mouse
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:42:32 -0600

Does anyone know now to get this mouse configured to scroll.  It was
detected as a standard PS/2 mouse and works (without scroll) just fine.
System is Mandrake 7.2 / KDE2

TIA,

Rob
remove _nospam to reply

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: CGA
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:19:43 -0500

        try this site (its the home of xfree86 http://www.xfree86.org

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:00:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Albert A Arendsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>If the choice were mine, all OpenGL drivers would be GPL-ed immediately
>>- heck, all Linux drivers for all S3 and Diamond products would be
>>GPL-ed, and funds diverted towards development for Linux.
>>
>>Unfortunately, the choice isn't mine. I do work for S3/Diamond, but as
>>you are probably well aware of, companies aren't democratic.

> Have you actually raised this comment, or are you just saying "if the
> choice were mine but it isn't?"

> The linux community is not asking the company to devote resources to
> driver development or to GPL anything.  We are merely asking for the
> information required to operate the hardware.  That information is being
> denied for reasons that don't make much sense.  It doesn't do any good
> for you to try to redirect the issue to one of "the GPL" because the
> GPL is not relevant to this discussion.  Just because someone might
> want to write a driver and license it under the GPL is no reason for
> you to try to use it as an obstacle.

> Devices that require a software component in order to function, should
> have the information available to create that software component.  It's
> a fundamentally broken means of distributing equipment that does not
> provide this information.  It's only the sheer popularity of MS Windows
> that even makes this method possible.  And of course, all the hardware
> that *only* can work under Windows because of arbitrary business decisions,
> only forces people to run Windows who might otherwise have alternatives.

> So I ask you, mister Arendsen.  Have you actually brought up the topic to
> anyone at S3/Diamond, or do you just post to Usenet saying you wish you could?
> Is that your idea of doing something about a problem, wishing?

Has anyone told you that you're a real prick?

Based on all his postings, I for one am confident that Mr. Arendsen has
done what he can...

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:01:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Albert A Arendsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>They could, they should, and if I had any say in it, they would. But, as
>>I have already said previously, companies aren't democracies. I will
>>continue to send up reports of inferior Linux support, and I hope
>>they're going to do something with that

> To whom do you send these reports?

> It sounds like we should skip you, and discuss this with someone who
> doesn't have to wish for authority to make suggestions.

Wow...  You really are a prick...

Adam