Subject: Re: 440BX or i815 for Linux?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Nov 2000 09:03:25 -0500

Edward Westin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan,
> Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.  I'm torn between
> the two boards, maybe I should just get one of each.

if it were me, i would get the i815 over the BX.  i like having the
option of upgrading.  i tend to hang on to my machines for a long time
and find it annoying to not be able to upgrade, e.g., with my ppro box
i cannot get faster than 200MHz CPU and EDO memory is not as cheap as
SDRAM.

with the rapid pace of hardware development, anything you buy now is
pretty much already obsolete.  if figure i don't want to be further
behind the curve than i have to be.

with the BX board you pretty much buy it, the CPU and RAM for what
they're worth today and next time swap out mobo, CPU and RAM.  this
might not be a bad strategy, but be aware of your choice.

> On top of that
> when I look at the price tag on the Duron, I really get confused.
> :-)

yes and when you consider that you can upgrade the socket-a duron to a
socket-a athlon/thunderbird it gets even more tempting.  also there
are new boards supporting DDR SDRAM for AMD CPUs.  it really is too
much to choose from.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: win98 runs slow after reinstall of eDesktop 2.4
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:39:58 +0100

Alfia wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After reinstalling the eDesktop 2.4, everything on the win98 partition
> seems running very slowly.  I wonder if the reinstallation of linux has
> somehow affected the way win98 retrieve data on the hard drive.
> The scenario of my hard drive is shown as follow:
> 3 OSs are on a 10.2GB hard drive.  They are win98 (32-bit, 5GB), Corel
> linux (1.5GB), and Caldera eDesktop 2.4 (3.5 GB).  Win98 is a primary
> partition.  The two linuxs are in separate logical partitions within an
> extended partition.
>
> Could anyone explain to me why it happen?  and how to solve the problem.
>   Thank you in advance.
>
> Alfia

could you post the result of `fdisk -l /dev/hda`

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JJK)
Subject: Re: Linux: 440BX Chipset or i815?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:09:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Westin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Which is the better choice in motherboards the 440bx chipset or the
>i815 (for linux)?  I am under the impression theat the 440bx is the
>wiser choice because it is said to be more stable.  Is this assumption
>valid?  Thank you.

go with the BX chipset - the i815 chipset is not well support at all yet by
Linux. I even had some boxes based on the i815E chipset that would not do DMA
in Linux - this caused a major performance hit compared to the good ol' 440BX
chipset.

HTH,

JJK

===========================
JJK / Jan Just Keijser
Unix/Linux Systems Engineer
smtp: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

flames > /dev/null 2>&1
===========================

------------------------------

From: "Yann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pcmcia network card
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:06:44 +0100

        Hi,
Is it possible to install a 3Com pcmcia network card.

         \|||/
         (o o)
+--ooO-( )-Ooo------------------------------------------------------------+

From: David M. Butler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dies with new Athlon
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:20:53 -0500

Jim Bonadeo wrote:

> Is it possible that this the method of drive access, (LBA,CHS,LARGE) could
> have something to do with my problem. I am certain  that this is a drive
> access problem, since I have seen it lock up on heavy drive (write) access
> and have seen the results of FSCK when I reboot.  I am just not ready to
> admit that it is a VIA problem and not a chipset/drive mismatch problem.
> Since I am a Quantum fan, I have not loyalty to WD. I could easily take
> the drive back and get a different manufacture.

If the problems show up on disk read/write's, I've had a similar problem.
My system would lock up during heavy writes to my drive... test it out by
copying something like a 200 meg file from CD, or between drives, or
whatever.  If that freezes it everytime, it's probably just a hard drive
config error.  For some reason, Linux was configuring one of my drives as
ATA-66, when it was really only 33....  nothing was noticable until heavy
writing.  I just had to change some hdparm settings and now it works fine.

May not be the exact cause of your problem, but something similar may be
doing it.

D. Butler

------------------------------

From: "John Hung P Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:35:28 -0800

I have a number of SCSI Seagate drive with SCA connectors in the Sun Arrays.
They are running great on the Sun.

I want to put some of these SCA SCSI drives Seagate WC into my Redhat 7
system.

I've bought a bunch of adapters that convert SCA to 68 or 50 pins with
termination.

The adaptec 2940UW can see the drive fine, but seems to be lots of SCSI
resets.
Ton of errors with SCSI resets.

Anyone experience with such thing?

TKs
John

 With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

------------------------------

From: Gunther Piez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lilo and moving an IDE disk
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:00:42 +0100

hi phil,

> I wish to have the following IDE config
>
> CD             Mobo Pri
> CDRW       Mobo Sec
> IBM HD     HPT370 Pri
> ST HD        HPT370 Sec

depending on your bios setup (onboard controller boots first or pci
controller boots first, for the latter you need a seperate bios in your
highpoint) you need a line

boot=/dev/hda

or

boot=/dev/hde

in your lilo.conf.

> "Fatal : Not a number : "/dev/hde2"

this happens if /dev/hde doesn't exist at the time you ran lilo.

system engineer                                         innominate AG
                                                 the linux architects
tel: +49.30.308806-48  fax: -77              http://www.innominate.de

------------------------------

From: "Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:06:05 GMT

In article <6oeQ5.16939$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Jim Bonadeo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is it possible that this the method of drive access, (LBA,CHS,LARGE)
> could have something to do with my problem. I am certain  that this is
> a drive access problem, since I have seen it lock up on heavy drive
> (write) access and have seen the results of FSCK when I reboot.  I am
> just not ready to admit that it is a VIA problem and not a
> chipset/drive mismatch problem. Since I am a Quantum fan, I have not
> loyalty to WD. I could easily take the drive back and get a different
> manufacture.
>
> Jim

        I dunno ;)   I've never had any problems with my WD.
I don't use EZbios, IIRC, I've got it set to 'auto' and 'lba'
in bios.  (Award 4.6) I have to use auto because as you say,
there's a mismatch between the drive's C/H/S and what bios
expected, but Linux doesn't have a problem with it.

 Model=WDC AC38400L, FwRev=20.03W20, SerialNo=WD-WT5270097841
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs
FmtGapReq }  RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=57600, SectSize=600,
ECCbytes=22  BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=256kB, MaxMultSect=16,
MultSect=16  CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes,
LBAsects=16514064  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:160,w/IORDY:120},
tDMA={min:120,rec:120}  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2

    If it's no big deal, I think your should exchange your WD for
either a Quantum or an IBM. WD's have gotten a bad rep in the
last year or so. Main reason I got interested in your
post is I'm lookin to change to a Tbird.  I've been following
closely the discussions of VIA/controller/HDD's and i586.

   Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Will Day)
Subject: Can't get UDMA to work
Date: 15 Nov 2000 17:25:53 GMT

I just picked up a 13gb Western Digital drive to put in a linux machine,
but am having difficulty getting it to use UDMA.  On bootup, it reports:

   Partition check:
    sda: sda1 sda2
    hda:hda: timeout waiting for DMA
   hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
   hda: timeout waiting for DMA
   hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
   hda: timeout waiting for DMA
   hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
   hda: timeout waiting for DMA
   hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
   hda: DMA disabled
   ide0: reset: success
    hda1 hda2

The system was installed on a borrowed scsi disk, so it's booting the
system fine; the goal is to move the system to the IDE disk, but first I
want to get it talking to the disk properly.  After boot, 'hdparm /dev/hda'
reports:

   /dev/hda:
    multcount    = 16 (on)
    I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
    unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
    using_dma    =  0 (off)
    keepsettings =  0 (off)
    nowerr       =  0 (off)
    readonly     =  0 (off)
    readahead    =  8 (on)
    geometry     = 1662/255/63, sectors = 26712000, start = 0

Trying to enable DMA with "hdparm -d1" at this point also produces the
timeout errors.

I read over the Ultra-DMA Mini-Howto, and applied the ide patch to the
kernel (2.2.17).  It still gives the above errors, now with an additional
message:

   ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14

I also downloaded and ran the utility from the WD website, to switch the
drive from UDMA/66 to only UDMA/33, since the BX-based BH6 board only
supports 33.  That didn't seem to make any difference.

I also tried disabling UDMA, as well as setting PIO modes, in the BH6 bios,
but this didn't seem to make any difference.  I was overclocking the system
bus, so I set it back to 100MHz, but that didn't seem to make any
difference either.

Other ide messages from boot:
   Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
   ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
   PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
   PIIX4: chipset revision 1
   PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
       ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
       ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
   hda: WDC AC313600D, ATA DISK drive
   hdb: CD620E, ATAPI CDROM drive
   ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
   hda: WDC AC313600D, 13042MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=1662/255/63, UDMA(33)
   hdb: ATAPI 5X CD-ROM drive, 240kB Cache

And from 'hdparm -i /dev/hda':
   Model=WDC AC313600D, FwRev=J7JOA30K, SerialNo=WD-WT6710449014
   Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
   RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34
   BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1966kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
   CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=26712000
   IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
   PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
   DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2

So right now, I'm kinda at a loss - I'm not sure what else to try.  Also,
I'm really more used to SCSI, and the only IDE drives I've ever had before
now were 2gb or less, so I really know little to nothing about these
new-fangled PIO and UDMA things. :)  Thus, I may be missing something
obvious.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- --
Will Day     <PGP mail preferred>     OIT / O&E / Technical Support
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715
  -> Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect OIT policy <-
    Benjamin Franklin, Pennsylvania Assembly, Nov. 11, 1755

------------------------------

From: Michel Dubois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
uk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.devel,at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,ch.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,free.comp.linux.misc,utah.linux,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: USB Logitech Quickcam
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:21:28 +0100

Hello,

I have a Logitech quickcam USB, and I downloaded the sources of modules,
following :

quickcam.c
quickcam.h
makefile

I put all them in a new directory and I typed make. I had an error
message like this :
/Makefile : any file or diretory present
'; needed by 'all'. Stop.target 'quickcam.o'

I have the last compilateur like automake 1.4, autoconf 2.13,
gcc-2.95.2, and qt 2.2.1, I thought that I needn't the last one.

I compiled these threes and insert them in my kernel 2.2.16. I all ready
compiled the USB modules, like usb-uhci.o, usbcore.o, etc... but it was
easy I did it with "make xconfig", etc.....

My question will be simple, how I could do for have quickam.o???

Thanks in Advance.
Thanks in Advance.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: presario HCF miniPCI modem or the miniPCI ethernet NIC?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:21:25 -0500

(I don't mean to carried away with the cross posting, but....)

Has anyone had any success using either the HCF miniPCI modem or the miniPCI
ethernet NIC that comes in the Compaq Presario?  Is there any hope of
networking in Linux with this setup?

thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Stewart Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce 2 GTS and Redhat6.4 (& ultra66 HDDs)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:25:33 +0000

Can anyone tell me how to install the X drivers for the Geforce 2 GTS
card, I'm new to Linux and I only understand the rudiments of RPMS
installation files. I've had a cursory look at the nVidia site which
recommends the use of XFree86-4.01 can someone take it from there.

As a side do you know if anyone is working on getting Linux to work with
the UDMA-66 harddrives which at the moment is a real headache for anyone
with a relatively new machine. I've got Windows 98 on my UDMA-66
harddrive and a Linux installation on the older, slower interface
(amnesic) & at the moment I can only boot Linux up from a floppy boot up
disk ---  any ideas how I can choose which operating system to use
without resorting to a floppy. I've tried system commander 2000 but that
also failed.

Thanks in advance (tut..very American)

Stew

PC
196 MB RAM
Geforce 2 GTS card
30Gb ultra-66 HDD
100Mb Iomega ZIP drive (internal)
Abit BF6-II motherboard
4Gb EIDE HDD
Pentium 550MHz

------------------------------

From: "John Hung P Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get UDMA to work
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:35:50 -0800

Check your disk drive. I had a similar WDC disk. all the WDC doc said it is
UDMA,
but I couldn't get it to run in UDMA mode. So I replaced it.

Can someone point me to the instruction on how to apply the ata66 Patch

ide.2.2.16.20000619.patch

I ran

patch -p 1 < /tmp/ide.2.2.16.20000619.patch

without success

I have never apply a linux patch before.

Tks.

news:8uugv1$r0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Dark Dog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pcmcia network card
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:38:56 +0100

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Yann wrote:
>Hi,
>Is it possible to install a 3Com pcmcia network card.
>Thanks.

Yes

------------------------------

From: Stewart Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get UDMA to work-me too
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:38:04 +0000

I'm no expert but I could couldn't get my UDMA-66 drive to work either I've not
read the FAQs but at the moment the simplest to solution is to plug the drive into
an older EIDE interface (if you have the option) where it will run fractionally
slower but it will run-so far I've not been  impressed with Linux Driver support,
particularly from manufacturers.

From: "Stephen Gutknecht \(VW\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 and 2.2.16
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:01:51 -0800

I am able to use my Realtek 8139 cards on my I815 box (Asus CUSL2).  I still
can't get XWindows to work....

Redhat 7.0 worked out of the box on my Realtek....

Debian 2.2 would not.  Debian 2.2a was just release and a new 2.2c is
supposed to be out in 10 days.

  Stephen

"jacob navia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uti6m$gct$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Add me to the list. I am using debian "potato" release and I can't get my
> realtek card working with the same symptoms!
>
> "Stephen Gutknecht (VW)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ISjQ5.1219$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Vijo,
> >
> > Sounds like you and I are on similar hardware.  I'm on Intel 815 +
Realtek

From: "Niels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: LILO, scsi, DAC960 and IDE