Linux-Hardware Digest #909, Volume #13           Sat, 18 Nov 00 11:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable
still plugged in? (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: Old School (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Promise PDC20265 on Asus A7V ("magicman")
  Re: SiS5596 config (Lee Webb)
  printing too slow (Julien du payrat)
  Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  scsi not regognized at startup (Julien du payrat)
  Epson Printer Network Cards. (Mark Andal)
  Re: Pioneer SCSI DVD-302 detection (Yasuyuki Saito)
  Re: Linux for the 486 (Thomas Skyt)
  Re: NetGear FA311 (Peter Bloomfield)
  Looking for Cable Modem Utility Program (Young4ert)
  Re: Old School (Robert)
  Fixing ramdisk position in memory ("Erik C.J. Laan")
  Re: Promise PDC20265 on Asus A7V ("Giles Hjort-Tyson")
  xwave 3000A driver for linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  isa zu pcmcia (Oliver Borchers)
  isa to pcmcia (Oliver Borchers)
  Sagem USB ISDN Adapter (Chris Boot)
  Which of the hardware modem (Y. Tremblay)
  Re: printing too slow (Dances With Crows)
  Re: scsi not regognized at startup (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Looking for Cable Modem Utility Program (Dementro)
  WCPUID for Linux? (Jelly)
  Re: WCPUID for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: printing too slow ("Gene Heskett")

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data
cable still plugged in?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:16:08 +0000

And "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable still
>plugged in,

        When I installed RH5.2, v6.0, and finally v6.2, I uncabled my Win95
drive (the ribbon cable, not the power cable).  The worst that could happen
is you'll generate a drive-not-responding error.  I've had drive ribbon
cables plugged in every which-way from Sunday and it caused no harm.
Unfortunately, newbie that I was, when I installed RH5.2 the first time, I
only erased the BIOS settings rather than physically uncabling the drive.
RedHat found the puppy *anyway* and totally wiped out my Win95 partition.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:16:06 +0000

And Baron Bosse <[EMAIL PROTECTED][]> spoke thusly:

>is it? what do you mean with better?

        Well, when you ask for help, do you ask, "How do I do this in Linux?"
or do you ask, "How do I do this in RedHat?"  All I know is, the more
distro-specific changes RedHat implements to their software, the farther
away I get from the Linux community.  I've learned my lesson about becoming
totally dependant on an uncaring commercial vendor (aka: Microsoft) for my
computing needs.  I don't want to pull a repeat performance with RedHat.

From: "magicman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise PDC20265 on Asus A7V
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:25:41 GMT

This mobo has a very interesting bult-in promise ATA100 controller, but i
can't found any driver for it!!
Does anynone has one?

bye

PS: sorry for the bad english, but i'm not very skilled

------------------------------

From: Lee Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS5596 config
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:02:37 +0000

Scott Houseman wrote:

> Hi all
> I am still having great difficulty configuring X with a SiS5596 card.
> I am using  RedHat Linux 6.2.
> I have checked RedHat's HCL - and they do state that this chipset is
> incompatible - is there any way around this?
> Perhaps someone has a correct config file?
> All advice welcome and appreciated.
> Many thanks
> Scott
> <-------------------------------->

Scott,

I had a similar problem with the SIS5596 way back in '97. However, I *did*
manage to get it working at 800x600 (I think I may even have got it at
1024x768!!!).
One problem: that system of mine is now dead and buried, so I no longer
have the XF86Config file :-(

However, all is not lost. I remember SuSE bringing out their XFCom drivers
for SiS chipsets:

http://www.suse.de/en/support/xsuse/index.html

Perhaps they can give pointers?

Lee.
leewebb at btinternet dot com

------------------------------

From: Julien du payrat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing too slow
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:15:59 GMT

Hello,
I have an HP 500c and when I try to print something that is not pure
text, printing is very slow. I use aps filters with gostscript v5.10.

It looks like every text is handled as graphic output.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:12:59 GMT

I've just run into the same problem with
Proliant: RedHat 7.0 only recognizes 14MB whereas
there are 256MB installed. So this looks like an
issue between Proliant and Linux... Have never
seen anything like that having done over a dozen
of RH6.2/7.0 installs... Anyone know if this is a
confirmed bug?

Many thanks,
Vadim.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  fuchs gerhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi!
>
> at first - english isnīt my native language!
>
> at second: we have 3 compaq proliant server
running SUSe 6.4 Linux.
> Every maschine have 128 MB RAM, which ist true
and can be seen at the
> start of the system and in the bios. BUT: When
i look at the values of
> the "top" - tool, i can see only 14MB RAM. And
the performance of the
> maschine looks like 14MB RAM and not like 128MB
RAM.

> How can i tell my linux, that there ist more
RAM than it
> knows?????????????
>
> THX - a lot.
>
> PS: i canīt find an answer to this question in
the compaq-forum, so i
> hope for better results.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:13:01 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:12:58 GMT

From: Julien du payrat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi not regognized at startup
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:24:19 GMT

Hello,

I have one scsi cdrom writer and one ide atapi cdrom (running under scsi
host emulation). Both are not recognized during startup. I have to
manually load the modules they need to have them working.

Is there a way to have them loaded at startup or do I have to recompile
all scsi stuff as built into the kernel ?

From: Mark Andal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Epson Printer Network Cards.
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:36:02 GMT

Greetings,

I'm planning on getting the epson network card so I can just put the
printer
off the network hub instead of through a computer.

Has anyone had experience setting up this card through linux or should I
setup this card through windows?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
--
Mark A. X. Andal

From: Yasuyuki Saito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pioneer SCSI DVD-302 detection
Date: 18 Nov 2000 11:51:54 GMT

Hello.

In article Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at comp.os.linux.hardware
Mohamed BEN SLIMANE wrote:

= Hi everybody,
=
= I have installed Linux Suse 7.0 and my Linux can't detect my Pioneer
= SCSI DVD-302.
= I am using the Adaptec AVA-1505 controller.
=
= Any Ideas ?
= Thanks in advance,

  What does the system say about your DVD drive
in /var/log/messages (VENDOR and MODEL) ?

--
Yasuyuki Saito

------------------------------

From: Thomas Skyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for the 486
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:17:16 +0100

chrismendes wrote:
> Is it still possible to get off-the-shelf linux installed on an old 486 ?
> How hard would it be to do this ?

this is propably not "off-the-shelf", but have you tried Debian? It is
(if not _the_, at least one of) the most adaptable Linux-Dist around.

Using that one (they supply the kernel 2.0.37) it should be possible to
run it on an old 486 with merely any lack of speed!

greetz,
--
        Thomas Skyt    -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   -    ICQ 94681590
-o----------------------+---------------------------------------------o-

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NetGear FA311
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:17:42 -0500

You can get a better driver at http://www.scyld.com

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for Cable Modem Utility Program
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:46:35 GMT

Hi,

I am using a Toshiba DOCSIS Cable Modem to access to the Internet and am
wondering if anyone happens to know of any utility program that
interface to the cable modem to edit or change the setup of the modem.

TIA.

PS. Remove "4" from e-mail address should you want to reply.

------------------------------

From: Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:07:11 GMT

What do you mean? every distro has a script based start-up. On some of
them
(like corel) it's hidden but watching the init processes is good for
debugging
(and learning). If your box has two processors check first if the distro
you
want supports it, or it'll be running only with one!

As i think, the most important goals of SuSE is the amount of packages
and
the amount of hardware drivers.

From: "Erik C.J. Laan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fixing ramdisk position in memory
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:54:09 +0100

I want to make a ramdisk in memory at a fixed location and use it for
swap. Why would I want this strange setup? This is a small machine
(80486DX/2 80 Mhz) used as router/firewall for my home-network. It's got
12Mb RAM on the motherboard with a 256kb cache. It also has an Everex
EV159 memory expansion board with 2,5Mb on the ISAbus. The memory on
this expansion board is not cached, so it's significantly slower
compared to the rest of the memory. Because of this I want to use it for
a fast swap-space.
I've read the BootPrompt HOWTO, linux/Documentation/initrd.txt and
linux/Documentation/ramdisk. The instructions in these documents are
sufficient to make a 2,5Mb swap-ramdisk and load it. The only question
remaining is: How can I make sure my swap-ramdisk will be loaded in the
upper 2,5Mb of memory, from 12Mb to 14,5Mb?

Thanks in advance for any help provided, Erik Laan.

P.S. By significantly slower I mean: booting the machine using the
expansion board (14,5Mb RAM) takes 9,5 minutes, with an mem=12m
kernel-argument it onlytakes 2 minutes.
Erik C.J. Laan [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (messages

From: "Giles Hjort-Tyson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise PDC20265 on Asus A7V
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:14:14 GMT

I have the same board, and my suggestion would be to put your ATA/100 drive
on the VIA controller.  You will probably not even notice a difference,
ATA/66 is still much faster then any current IDE drive can physicly read.
There is actually a message about a driver for it in the newsgroup, and
while it does exist it sounds buggy, giving max speed at udma-2 and reducing
the usable disk size.

news:FOsR5.81865$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: xwave 3000A driver for linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:12:16 GMT

I have got a yamaha's xwave 3000A sound card with me,
drivers for this card are available for windows only.
Can somebody tell me where can I get a driver for linux ?

thanks,
Santosh

PS: please send a copy of the reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Oliver Borchers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isa zu pcmcia
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:29:27 +0100

hallo,

ich suche eine isa oder pci karte mit 2 slots für pcmcia-karten.

gruss
 oliver

------------------------------

From: Oliver Borchers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isa to pcmcia
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:37:21 +0100

hello,

i search a isa or pci adapter for pcmcia-cards with two slots.

thanks

 oliver borchers

------------------------------

From: Chris Boot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Sagem USB ISDN Adapter
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:39:23 +0100

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any way to get the Sagem USB ISDN adapter working with
Linux?  I'm using Kernel 2.2.17 with the 2.4 USB patches.  I am willing to
upgrade if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Boot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Y. Tremblay)
Subject: Which of the hardware modem
Date: 18 Nov 2000 14:52:07 GMT

Hi,

I am building a computer on which I'll run Linux.  I'm looking for a
modem.  I know about winmodem and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole
but apart from that, is there much difference between the modems.

One can get generic internal PCI hardware modem for around 20 pounds
it seems.  While stuff like 3COM or Diamond may cost more than twice
that price.

Also external modem are justifiably (due to construction cost) more
expensive.  What benifit do they give compared to the internal ones.

I have seen the linux modem information page at:
<http://www.kcdata.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html>
and especially the  "Linux/Modem Compatibility Knowledge Base" at
<http://www.kcdata.com/~gromitkc/20001116a.html>
and am planning to pick one known to work.  But past that, I have no
clue and am currently tempted to go for the cheapest "OK" one I can
find.

thanks for any input

Yan

--
Y. Tremblay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: printing too slow
Date: 18 Nov 2000 15:11:40 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:15:59 GMT, Julien du payrat wrote:
>I have an HP 500c and when I try to print something that is not pure
>text, printing is very slow. I use aps filters with gostscript v5.10.
>It looks like every text is handled as graphic output.

Ghostscript takes PostScript input and outputs printer control codes
designed for your specific model of printer, so if there are any
graphics anywhere in there, it's possible the whole page will print out
as "graphics" rather than text.  ISTR that when I set up apsfilter, it
created 4 printers: ASCII only, black/white only, color, and "raw".  The
color printer was the default one, since my BJC-6000 can do color.
Printing to the black-and-white queue was a bit faster for documents
without color.

Anyway, 5.10 is reasonably old; they're up to at least 5.50 by now.
Upgrade?  Also, have you tried doing "tunelp /dev/lp0 -T on" to enable
interrupt-driven printing and possibly speed things up?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: scsi not regognized at startup
Date: 18 Nov 2000 15:11:41 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:24:19 GMT, Julien du payrat wrote:
>I have one scsi cdrom writer and one ide atapi cdrom (running under scsi
>host emulation). Both are not recognized during startup. I have to
>manually load the modules they need to have them working.
>Is there a way to have them loaded at startup or do I have to recompile
>all scsi stuff as built into the kernel ?

In /sbin/init.d/boot.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local, put the modprobe
commands you use to get these devices working correctly.

Or edit /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules) to put in the correct
aliases for the modules.  If you go that route, then the devices will
not get recognized until you try to access them in some way.  Accessing
/dev/sg1 right after the machine has booted should automatically load
the modules for the SCSI card, SCSI support, and SCSI generic support.

Subject: Re: Looking for Cable Modem Utility Program
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dementro)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:25:32 GMT

What kind of changes are you wishing to make to your modems setup?

As I understand it.. when you turn on the modem it downloads its
configuration from your cable companys head end.  That configuration sets
your up/downstream, how many IPs you get, and various other options.
Those options are not changeable by the user I believe.

I have the Surfboard 2100 cable modem myself and there are only a few
items I can change through its web interface.  I can change it from using
NTSC to PAL (no reason to here in the states), the last digit of the
internal IP address,  upstream Channel ID, and the frequency its using.
I have not actually attempted to change any of those options, so I am
unsure if my cable company has locked it in any way.

You might try to see if the Toshiba has an internal web page like the
Surfboard. The Surfboard uses:

 http://192.168.100.1/

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Young4ert) wrote in

------------------------------

From: Jelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WCPUID for Linux?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:26:52 GMT

Anyone know if there is a program like WCPUID for Linux that
can identify the CPU type and how much L1, L2, etc.. cache a machine
has and other details such as cache assosiativity, cache latency and
block size?
TIA

Jelly

------------------------------

Subject: Re: WCPUID for Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 18 Nov 2000 10:43:02 -0500

Jelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anyone know if there is a program like WCPUID for Linux that
> can identify the CPU type and how much L1, L2, etc.. cache a machine
> has and other details such as cache assosiativity, cache latency and
> block size?

The file /proc/cpuinfo already contains some of that information.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 2000 9:48:12 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Julien du;

 Jdp> Hello,
 Jdp> I have an HP 500c and when I try to print something that is not
 Jdp> pure text, printing is very slow. I use aps filters with
 Jdp> gostscript v5.10.

 Jdp> It looks like every text is handled as graphic output.

This is pretty much the default action.  Oddball file formats are all run
thru 'filters' to make them into a more universal postscript format, and
ghostscript is used to make the gfx image fed to the printer.

If you'd update to gs6.31, I think you'd find that its not only a bit
faster, but does a better job fontwise than 5.10.

apsfilter will take some hacking to make 6.31 work with it, its version
specific, good if thats your version, bad if you've updated beyond 5.50.
I did make it use 6.29 for a few days, but it wasn't ultimately happy,
gimps print was a black hole for instance.

It would be a lot easier to use LPRng instead.  I haven't had anything
missfire since lpr came out and LPRng went in.  The setup tool,
'printtool' gets swapped out for 'lprngtool' too.

CUPS I tried, but when you're 35 miles out in the toules, you can't
afford to leave it online full time, so I didn't explore what it can and
can't do.  Its daemon got rm'd and I'm gradually cleaning up other
leftovers since it doesn't come with a make uninstall, and that to me is
a certified 'bad form' error.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net