Linux-Hardware Digest #909, Volume #14           Sat, 16 Jun 01 16:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Q: ReiserFS or hardware error? ("Tony G.")
  Re: Problem With Intel InBusiness 10/100 NIC (Richard)
  Re: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x ("Doug Holtz")
  How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver (Phlip)
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! (Frank Miller)
  HP ScanJet 4100C under Linux (David Liana)
  Re: pcmcia hawking modem/NIC question ("arthur")
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! ("Taavi Hein")
  Input/Output error when using setserial while trying to set up modem need help
(minno)
  Re: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver ("Anthony DeRobertis")
  Re: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x ("Anthony DeRobertis")
  Re: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x (Jan Johansson)
  Re: Q: ReiserFS or hardware error? (Robert Davies)
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! (Rahul)
  Intel PRO/DSL 2200 with Freebsd (Evans)
  Win-modem ("Kule Kødd Kuttavhodet")
  Re: Intel PRO/DSL 2200 with Freebsd (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Win-modem

From: "Tony G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Q: ReiserFS or hardware error?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:19:58 GMT

Greetings! I woke up this morning to a console full of errors. I've
got about 275 lines of these errors. Does anyone know if these are
specifically ReiserFS or hard drive/hardware errors.

I've also noticed that the errors occur when 'tar' tries to stat()
certain files. i.e. the errors appear on the console in tandem with
the tar command:

tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p2: Cannot stat: Permission denied
tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p3: Cannot stat: Permission denied
tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p4: Cannot stat: Permission denied
tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p5: Cannot stat: Permission denied
tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p6: Cannot stat: Permission denied
tar: /dev/rd/c2d26p7: Cannot stat: Permission denied

Can anything be done to repair/correct these? I've got backups, do I
need to go back to ext2? I've been running ReiserFS for 4 months with
no problems until now. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Tony G.

System Specs:
Linux 2.4.5 #1 i586
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
233Mhz Pentium MMX
64MB RAM
HDA: Seagate - ST38410A (8.03 GB )
Errors:

Jun 16 04:02:00 zorak anacron[6308]: Updated timestamp for job
`cron.daily' to 2001-06-16
Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=227066, sector=66416
Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda),
sector 66416
Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o
failure occurred trying to find stat data of [2027 2724 0x0 SD]
Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: vs-13048: reiserfs_iget: bad_inode. Stat
data of (2027 2724) not found
Jun 16 04:02:28 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Jun 16 04:02:28 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=227066, sector=66416
Jun 16 04:02:28 zorak kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda),
sector 66416
Jun 16 04:02:28 zorak kernel: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o
failure occurred trying to find stat data of [2027 2685 0x0 SD]
Jun 16 04:02:28 zorak kernel: vs-13048: reiserfs_iget: bad_inode. Stat
data of (2027 2685) not found
Jun 16 04:02:31 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Jun 16 04:02:31 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=227066, sector=66416
Jun 16 04:02:31 zorak kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda),
sector 66416
Jun 16 04:02:31 zorak kernel: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o
failure occurred trying to find stat data of [2027 2693 0x0 SD]

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem With Intel InBusiness 10/100 NIC
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:21:11 GMT

You also need to post your /proc/pci, /proc/interrupts and
/etc/conf.modules as well as windows ME settings for the card.
Escpecially as you have a completly different motherboard.

my 2 cents worth

Richard James

------------------------------

From: "Doug Holtz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:32:19 GMT

John;
Compaq puts a non-dos partition on the front of their drives that holds
configurations.  (It's not on the bios chip).  Compaq did not use Fuji
drives; they bought drives and put their name on it.  There fore I suspect
this is an aftermarket drive.
Get the Compaq utility that reinstalls the partition for writing config info
to and put that on and see if it helps the install.
Doug

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver
Date: 16 Jun 2001 15:39:37 GMT

Linucists:

My outer problem is I want to scan with a UMAX Astra 600S.

My inner problem is this only talks to a UDS-IS11 PC/ISA \n P/N:970160-08
SCSI clone card.

Googling reveals this card has responded to the g_NCR5380 driver.

Our system admin at work says all I need to do is select a driver and then
build it into the kernel instead of leaving it loadable. This will trick
the OS into installing it at boot time instead of at modules.conf time.

So I make menuconfig, and turn the little M...

     <M> Generic NCR5380/53c400 SCSI support

...into a star...

     <*> Generic NCR5380/53c400 SCSI support

then recompile the kernel.

While the kernel cooks, here's the question. What would I write into
modules.conf instead? This line did not work at a console...

        modprobe g_NCR3580 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_53c400=1

...because modprobe claims g_NCR5380 does not exist.

Another question is what (high-level) HOWTO do I seem to be missing here?

--
  Phlip                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
============== http://phlip.webjump.com ==============

------------------------------

From: Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!!
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:35:08 GMT

Rahul wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please help me out of this!
>
> I have first time installed RedHat 7.1 (Dual-boot with Windows-2000).
> My Windows-2000 is correctly recognizing the modem, but Linux is not.
> I have heard that if modem is winmodem(?), then Linux may not
> support it at all :-( I am not sure whether mine is winmodem or not
> (how to identify that it's winmodem or not ?)
>
> Any kind of information on this will be appreciated!
>
> Following are the details of my modem :
> ----
> US Robotics 56K Fax Win Int - COM3 (From Windows->Control-Panel)
> Device Location : PCI slot-5 (PCI bus 1, device 11, function 0)
> Driver Version  : 4.1.21.4
>
> Found on Internal Modem Card(?):
> On the Chip :
>         US Robotics AD1807JS
>         ERL 2086A-0-8
>         0052
> On the white label :
>         SN:24B4G3HBHGWR
>         PRODUCT:3CP5699A
> ----
>
> Thanks a lot for your replies, in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Rahul. (first time Linux user!)
Not sure if this is a "winmodem" or not.  There are drivers available
for some winmodems.

------------------------------

From: David Liana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.setup, alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc,alt.linux
Subject: HP ScanJet 4100C under Linux
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:11:06 -0400

I have a HP ScanJet 4100C USB scanner.
I have Mandrake 8.0, the 2.4.5 Kernel with USB support and USB scanner
support compiled into the kernel.

HardDrake correctly identifies the scanner.

I downloaded sane-frontends-1.0.4, sane-backends-1.0.4, xsane-0.78.

How do you set this scanner up with sane?

David Liana

------------------------------

From: "arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pcmcia hawking modem/NIC question
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:28:06 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "LyRcH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Does anybody have and use the hawking 005605-00 pcmcia ethernet/56K
> modem combo card?  And if so, just how "compatible" is it?  I've been
> having a majorly hard time around my area finding a pcmcia modem that
> isn't a winmodem and I came across one of these the other day.
>
> I've just heard that "combination" cards can be a pain sometimes.  But I
> heard this about the dreaded "windoze" system a while back.  Not sure
> how linux handles these types of cards.
>
> What really attracted me was the NIC / modem for just over a hundred
> bucks and i'm a natural skeptic so if people have had problems i wanna
> know about it.
>
> Any help is apreciated.
>
> Lyrch

We have a Hawking modem that came with a now 3yr old  laptop, that has
only run Win95 (& now Win98).  The modem is not able to deal  with less
than perfect phone connections.  Based on this experience, I would
personally stay far away from Hawking and go for a known quality modem.
Personally I like USR but have no experience with their pcmcia modems.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Jun 2001 17:37:37 GMT

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

> US Robotics 56K Fax Win Int - COM3 (From Windows->Control-Panel)
> Device Location : PCI slot-5 (PCI bus 1, device 11, function 0)
> Driver Version  : 4.1.21.4

> Found on Internal Modem Card(?):
> On the Chip :
>         US Robotics AD1807JS
>         ERL 2086A-0-8
>         0052
> On the white label :
>         SN:24B4G3HBHGWR
>         PRODUCT:3CP5699A
                  ^^^^^^^^
Searching on that reveals that yes, it is a winmodem.  It will
never work in Linux.  You need a new modem.

Some basic guidelines:

1) All external modems that connect via the serial port will work.
2) Modems that say "controller based" should work.
3) In general, more ISA modems are controller based than are PCI modems, but
4) There *are* PCI modems that will work.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Taavi Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:31:23 +0300

You could also check www.linmodems.org (or www.linmodem.org, I'm not sure).

--
Taavi Hein - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered Linux user #209546

------------------------------

From: minno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Input/Output error when using setserial while trying to set up modem need help
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:30:07 -0000

Hello,

I am running mandrake 8.0 kernel 2.4.2
I have The new 56k usr pro modem that is sopposed to work
with linux But From what I have read from the input from other people
it still needs to use the setserial command but when I type in the command
that would make my modem work I get an "Input/Output error "

If any body knows how to fix this I would be greatfull

I cantacted usr tech support and they had no clue all they said is that it
should have worked as soon as I entered it in the system

Thanks.........

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:30:18 -0400

In article <9gfujp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Phlip"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         modprobe g_NCR3580 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_53c400=1

look in /lib/modules/kernel-version/ ... for the real name of the driver.
First off, it's probably lowercase.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:35:42 -0400

Have you tried swapping out the RAM yet? Might be defective.

------------------------------

From: Jan Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:43:55 GMT

>Compaq did not use Fuji
>drives; they bought drives and put their name on it.  There fore I suspect
>this is an aftermarket drive.

Uuuh, "my" Dekspros have Fuji drives in some of them, but with a
Compaq FRA number on them.

>Get the Compaq utility that reinstalls the partition for writing config info
>to and put that on and see if it helps the install.
>Doug

The diagnosticvs partition is not needed, but helpful.

------------------------------

From: Robert Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: ReiserFS or hardware error?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:44:05 +0100

Tony G. wrote:

> Greetings! I woke up this morning to a console full of errors. I've
> got about 275 lines of these errors. Does anyone know if these are
> specifically ReiserFS or hard drive/hardware errors.
>
> Can anything be done to repair/correct these? I've got backups, do I
> need to go back to ext2? I've been running ReiserFS for 4 months with
> no problems until now. Any advise would be great! Thanks!
>
> `cron.daily' to 2001-06-16
> Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest Error }

I got similar errors, after fdisk, screwed up a partition table.
I don't think they're reieserfs specific, the early 2.4.1-3 problems with
reiser were fixed in 2.4.4.

I should do any back up you can.  Then unmount.

To fix the partition table, I had to use sfdisk(8) which was the only thing
that could read it, I tried gpart(8) which hinted that it was really messed
up.  Anyway it made a pretty good impression of a screwed up hard drive.
The bug was triggered by the new Windows extended partition type.

You should eliminate partition table as a possibility, then try things like
badblocks, to see what happens.

Apparently linux only returns 1 bit of error info back up, though the
drivers knows more about the errors, so the upper layers cannot be very
informative :(

> Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=227066, sector=66416
> Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda),
> sector 66416
> Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o
> failure occurred trying to find stat data of [2027 2724 0x0 SD]
> Jun 16 04:02:23 zorak kernel: vs-13048: reiserfs_iget: bad_inode. Stat
> data of (2027 2724) not found

Good luck

Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rahul)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 16 Jun 2001 12:18:12 -0700

Thanks Clive for your reply.

Hummm ...

So there is "no" way that I can make use of my current modem to talk
with RedHat 7.1 ? I need to purchase a new modem for this ? In that
case, can anyone please advise for selecting "good" modem for homepc?

My homepc configuration :
1. OS1 : Windows 2000
2. OS2 : RedHat 7.1
3. Machine : Dell Workstation 400.

Thanks in advance,
Rahul.

news:<6LGW6.78612$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel PRO/DSL 2200 with Freebsd
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:27:00 -0500

Anyone know of any modules that would allow me to use my INTEL PRO/DSL
2200 modem with Freebsd??

I have searched, and searched.. Found nothing.. A lot of people
talking about it.. but no one finding a solution.

From: "Kule Kødd Kuttavhodet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Win-modem
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:44:47 +0200

How do i get a Dynalink Internal Fax/Data Modem 56.6 Kb\s
to work with Linux?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Intel PRO/DSL 2200 with Freebsd
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Jun 2001 16:00:50 -0400

Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anyone know of any modules that would allow me to use my INTEL PRO/DSL
> 2200 modem with Freebsd??
>
> I have searched, and searched.. Found nothing.. A lot of people
> talking about it.. but no one finding a solution.

Ummm, I may be offbase here, but I suspect you might get a tad better response
posting this to a Freebsd newsgroup.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Win-modem
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:09:45 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:44:47 +0200, Kule Kødd Kuttavhodet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How do i get a Dynalink Internal Fax/Data Modem 56.6 Kb\s
>to work with Linux?

Try www.linmodem.com  (I think that's it;  or do a websearch for "linux modem")

Frankly, I'd rather pay $30 for a real modem, albeit used, than waste my time
getting a $2 winmodem to work.