From: Lee Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live IRQ problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:11:43 +0000

While you're trying to find a solution, if you don't have the manual then
you can download it from here:

ftp://www.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/sock7/sis530/p5-99vm/p599vm-104.pdf

Alternatively go to ASUS's site:

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/Pentium/P5s-vm/index.html

Apologies for you've already looked at this info.

Lee.

------------------------------

From: alice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Adaptec 2940u2w question
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:19:21 -0500

I am running Redhat 6.2 with the updated kernel (2.2.16-3smp) on my
machine.
I have an adaptec 2940u2w SCSI card which has an internal bus to 3
internal disks
which run at 80 MB/second. Recently I tried to connect an external  74GB

seagate cheetah
drive which has SCSI ultra160.  The computer recognizes the external
disk and
seems to successfully initialize the SCSI bus but when it comes to the
point in the
boot process where the autorun is done and it tries to mount the root
file system
(which is on target 0, one of the internal 80 Mb/s disks) it fails and
says it must reinitialize the SCSI bus.
If a smaller external disk is attached which only has SCSI ultra wide it

will run fine.
Also the Adaptec internal diagnostic program indicates the 74GB disk is
fine.
Also if an Adaptec 2940uw (as opposed to u2w) card is used with the 74GB

ultra160
disk it will work.

any suggestions?

thank you
Alice

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Strange lockups and ethernet problems
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 16 Jan 2001 18:25:15 -0500

Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I wrote about 3 pages of rants about how useless Linux is for
> > debugging problems unless you wrote the part of the kernel in
> > question, but it seemed counterproductive, so I removed it.  I suspect
> > it may work its way into the next article I'm about to write.

> Confess I missed the first part of this thread, but why do you expect
> Linux to be able to "debug" what seems to be a hardware problem?

If the system is stable enough to continue operating after delivering
an error message, it should make an effort to give a _useful_ error
message.  The message "too many interrupts" is not a useful error
message.  It tells me nothing about what the problem is; if it's
hardware or software; what can be done to fix it; and so on.

Then we have the 350 pages of diagnostic messages you get on an
average Linux system just by turning on your computer.  Sometimes it
will contain messages like "Error: only one processor found" (which is
not an error if the motherboard only has one CPU; it just means it's
an SMP kernel on a uniproc box).

> Perhaps you should try Windoze.

I'll thank you not to try to drive me away from Linux.  I like it a
lot, but it's as big a pain in the ass to debug as a Macintosh.  I say
that as a computer science major with six years' experience in Linux.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cyberveg4n)
Date: 16 Jan 2001 23:29:50 GMT
Subject: Re: Write permissions

Rajiv,

You're not very specific, but from what I've read, that's how its supposed to
be.  Only root is allowed to write to anywhere other than their home directory
and a few other specific places.

Use root to do systems admin, and use 'normal' users to do 'normal' work, like
typing documents or surfing the net...

Normal users do not need to write to anywhere other than their home directory
and maybe a 'shared' work area, or network drives, and possibly, floppy disks
etc.

Fstab doesn't SET the file permissions - the settings here just tell the kernel
whether or not to accept write requests for the devices listed.

for your info, you *could* do:

   chmod -R 777 /*

*but*  DO NOT DO THIS, as your system would break as a result.

What do you want to write to that you can't?  Find the mount point in fstab
(eg. /mnt/floppy) and do a :-

  umount /mnt/floppy
  chmod 777 /mnt/floppy
  mount /mnt/floppy

that should sort it out.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: adaptec duralan four port ethernet card
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:42:38 GMT

Hi, There

I would like to install the driver for the Adaptec Duralan four port
ethernet card in linux 7.0. i read the released note regarding the new
kernel 2.4 which support this driver. i download the new kernel 2.4 and
upgrade my kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.4. Adaptec card source file is
starfire.c. now how can i compile the source file or how can i insert
the modules in the kernel.

any help would be appreciated?

from dinesh

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise ATA 100 boot setup for linux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:01:50 -0500

Anyone have a link?

I've tried everything written for ATA 66.  One would think it would
relate, but I can't make it.  I have a Red Hat 6.2 install with a
(hedrick) patched 2.2.18 kernel that works quite nicely booting from
floppy to /dev/hdg3.  My BIOS boot sequence is A, C, SCSI.  I have no
desire to rearrange the boot devices; I need to boot into windows about
once every month or two, and I believe it needs to be on /dev/hda1.

My setup:

Abit bp6 mobo (nothing on the hpt 366 controller, it sucks)
ide0 = /dev/hda
ide1 = /dev/hdb
dev's hdc and hdd are cdroms
ide2 = /dev/hde # alone on first Promise connector
ide3 = /dev/hdg # alone on second Promise connector

For grins here's my lilo.conf.  The only thing that boots from hard
drive is dos on /dev/hda1.  /dev/hdb7 and /dev/hdg3 both freeze at the
same point.

boot = /dev/hda
timeout = 50
prompt
  default = linux18-100
  vga = normal
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install = /boot/boot.b

disk = /dev/hda
 bios = 0x80

disk = /dev/hdb
 bios = 0x81

disk = /dev/hde
 bios = 0x82

disk = /dev/hdg
 bios = 0x83

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18
  label = linux18-100
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdg3
  append = "ide2 = 0xbc00, 0xc002 ide3 = 0xc400, 0x802"

image = /boot/kernel-2.2.18
  label = linux18
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdb7

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0
  label = linux24
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hdg3

other = /dev/hda1
  label = dos
--
Rinaldi]$
"Defeat may serve as well as victory, to shake the soul and let the

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec duralan four port ethernet card
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:16:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, There
>
> I would like to install the driver for the Adaptec Duralan four port
> ethernet card in linux 7.0. i read the released note regarding the new
> kernel 2.4 which support this driver. i download the new kernel 2.4 and
> upgrade my kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.4. Adaptec card source file is
> starfire.c. now how can i compile the source file or how can i insert
> the modules in the kernel.
>
> any help would be appreciated?
>
> from dinesh
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Did you upgrade from rpm's or tarball?  If rpm's, support is probably
already built into the kernel so try modprobe starfire; and possibly
alias eth0 starfire in /etc/modules.conf.  Just guessing, of course.
Don't have enough facts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: SCSI Confusion:  Help!
Date: 17 Jan 2001 00:18:11 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:49:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cyberveg4n) wrote:

> Not all versions of SCSI are 'backwards compatible';  the newest, UW-160 is
> very specific, as it uses a different method of sending signals down the lead -
> not just faster, but smarter. btw its called LVD or Low-Voltage-Differential.
> Best to avoid these as yet, cos theyre 1) very expensive, 2) hot-running 3)
> 'too new' and not supported by many configs.

I disagree. Most new disks are cooler than older ones. I've used 2GB
7200rpm drives that you could fry eggs on ;-) I'm currently running 3
18GB 10krpm IBM drives that use less than half the power of the
2-generations-previous 9GB 10krpm drives that they replaced. The newer
generation of IBM 10krpm U160 drives use less power still.

Now, expensive I could agree with... but a U160 adapter is very very
likely to work with older components since LVD auto-switches the
entire bus to UW if any single-ended device is installed (except when
there's an isolator chip installed as there is on most U160 adapters
and then the bus is split into logical bus segments, part of which
runs at 160 and part at SE speeds).

> Best thing to do is go for either a classic SCSI-2 (50-pin connector) or a
> standard Wide-SCSI-2 (High-density 50-pin connector).  You can get cheap,
> linux-compatible boards at computer fairs quite easily.

I wouldn't *buy* a 50 pin adapter nowadays. All new hard disks are 68
pin and a lot of ordinary devices are too. I bought a Nikon Coolscan
III the other day to scan film negatives and this uses 68 pin cabling
 Since they gave me, "free" (sic), an Adaptec 2906 50 pin controller
with it, that's what I'm using but I wouldn't have bought a 50 pin
controller myself. The bare minimum card I'd buy if I were
contemplating attaching HD's to the controller in the future would be
UW.

>  Avoid hard disks with
> the 68-pin SCA adapter on them though, as you wont (easily) find a lead that
> attaches to them, although you can get hold of a little converter board to make
> them into Wide-SCSI-2 or standard scsi.  These are usually referred to as 'hot
> plugguble drives', and are generally more expensive too.

Over in the UK 80 pin SCA drives are generally slightly cheaper. I'd
agree that they're not a good idea since 68->80 pin adapters are
extremely unreliable IME.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: "Alan Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: infra red - making it my self
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:07:32 -0000

"steven koolen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> i want infra red on my computer, but its very exspencive, does anyone know
> how to make a infrared port my self
>
> thanx
> steven koolen

If you mean IrDA (to allow your pc to exchange data with laptops, PDAs,
mobile phones, etc) then the modules aren't expensive. In the UK dabs sell
modules from TMC and ASUS for well under £20 ($14) delivered. You get a
little circuit board with the IR transmitter and receiver mounted on it and
the cable to connect it to the IrDA header on your motherboard. You will
have to make your own mounting arrangements for the module.

I have TMC IrDA modules working on my Abit SH6 and KT7-Raid systems. You
just plug them in, enable IrDA in the bios, and then let Windows install the
new hardware.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:15:21 +0000

And Rajiv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>I log in as root, I have no problems writing to other mounted
>partitions.

        That's typical Unix security.  It prevents non-root users from
compromising and misusing your computer.

>My fstab shows all directories to have rw permissions, though. I have
>tried chmod 777 with all the directories, but to no avail.
>
>Could anyone out there help me?

        Yes, reinstall SuSE from scratch.  You busted your system's security
wide open to anyone that want to come along and plant virii, trojans,
backdoors, ircbots, mailbombers, etc.  All that good stuff that attracts
angry government agents to your front door to confiscate your equipment and
find out if you're intentionally being a hazard to the public or not.
        The file permissions are there to prevent others from using your
computer in an illegal manner.  Remember that it's a multi-user operating
system.  You're the owner and call all the shots on who has access to what.
As the root user, you are even protecting the system against yourself and
your other user accounts.  For instance, someone with free access to the
"mail" command can easily send upwards of 500 pieces of mail per minute by
issuing the command within a "for" loop.  Linux is an extremely powerful
operating system, and there are jerks out there who just love to misuse it.
Keeping on top of your system's security is a must.
        Visit Freshmeat and The Linux Documentation Project (LDP) on the web
(or check your /usr/doc directory) for the System Administrator's Guide,
then the Network Administrator's Guide.  Read up on the Security HOWTOs and
button that puppy up: http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ http://freshmeat.net/
Also stop by the local library or bookstore and pick up a Unix User's Guide
to bone up on the basics.  They should cover permissions and their use, and
paint a bigger picture of the operating system you're now in charge of.
Have fun...

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: Clem Pryke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2nd CPU for Dell PowerEdge
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:27:48 +0000

I just bought a couple of Dell PowerEdge 1400 machines. Dell wants
+$620 for a second PIII 800MHz CPU while the going rate is <$250.
So I ordered with single CPU intending to buy and install 2nd CPUs
myself. Now they are here I see that the motherboard
requires a plug in voltage regulator module for each CPU.
I suspect this is because different clk rate CPU's need different
voltages? Are the modules standard, or do I have to try and buy them
from Dell? (Who will presumably offer me a complete 2nd CPU kit,
including regulator for $600+)

Clem Pryke - Research Scientist
University of Chicago,
Room 226, LASR, 933 East 56th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Tel: 773 702-7853  Fax: 773 834-1891  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How to reserve IRQ?
Date: 17 Jan 2001 01:33:01 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:16:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>My ISA non-PnP sound card requires IRQ11, but this is currently used by
>my SCSI controller.
>
>How can I reserve IRQ11 so it's available for the sound card?  There
>appears to be no option to do this in my computer's BIOS (Dell
>Precision 410 Workstation with one CPU installed).

If there's no option in the BIOS for hard-configuring various devices,
then it's basically impossible to do.  You can try moving the SCSI card
to a different PCI slot, at which point it may or may not change IRQs.
I assume you've already tried plugging the ISA card in and letting the
BIOS set up the devices (set "PnP OS installed" to "NO") automagically
so that nothing is stepping on anything else.

If the soundcard is truly non-PnP-ISA, there should be some jumpers on
it that will allow you to set IRQ and I/O values by hand.  Even back in
the dark ages before PCI, things were very rarely tied down to one
setting since there were N+1 different hardware configurations
available.  Sound cards usually used IRQ 5 back then, 'cause the
original SB-16 did.

If nothing works, ditch the card and get a reasonable PCI soundcard.
The older Ensoniq AudioPCI cards work well--beware the very latest
versions, they seem to require the very latest kernel in order to work
at all.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: no such device for sound card
Date: 17 Jan 2001 01:33:02 GMT

[NGs trimmed]
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:48:56 -0500, Fu staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>kernel version: 2.4.0
>distibution:  red hat 6.2
>i don't know if linux even thinks my card exists. i see my sb16 pci
>listed as ensoniq  in /proc/pci.

Why didn't you include the relevant lines from /proc/pci , and save
readers a lot of bashing around in the dark?  It is *NOT* an SB-16.
It's most likely an Ensoniq 1371 or an emu10k, since the SB-16s are ISA
cards that are pretty much obsolete.

>when i try to run sndconfig, it tells me that my 2.4.0 kernel doesn't
>support sound modules.

Did you upgrade your modutils?  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
says you must have modutils 2.4.0 to even think about running kernel
2.4.0 with any degree of transparency.  If "insmod -V" throws up
anything less than 2.4.0, upgrade now.

>when i try to add the module with insmod sb it gives me the no such
>device error message. but the sb_lib and uart401 modules loaded
>properly.

Without knowing if you have a 1371 or an emu10k, there's no way of
telling you the magic to activate your card.  Upgrade your modutils if
they're old, run depmod -a, and try modprobing es1371 and emu10k.  And
post those lines from /proc/pci if you can't get it to work.

>know Jesus, know peace... no Jesus, no peace.
"Campus Crusade for Cthulhu!  If your God's dead, blame OURS!"