Linux-Hardware Digest #270, Volume #14           Mon, 29 Jan 01 17:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Argument for Linux: WebCam (David List)
  SIOCSISFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Argument for Linux: WebCam (Mike Edwards)
  Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ (Ray)
  Re: Athlon motherboard suggestions (with RH 7.0) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ ("John D Lamb")
  WinTV PCI-FM (Justus Bernold)
  Re: new VIA AC'97 sound drivers? (Byron A Jeff)
  Re: re:kernel compilation problem ("Walter Rusin")
  ROM upgrade sample code... ("Zach Gray")
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ ("Matt O'Toole")
  LastChance!FA:IBM ThinkPad 365XD p133/24mb/1gb/cdrom/Linux +MORE!!!!!!!!! (schlomo)
  Re: suitable backup hardware? (John Thompson)
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ (Quivis)
  LastChance!FA:IBM ThinkPad 365XD p133/24mb/1gb/cdrom/Linux +MORE!!!!!!!!! (schlomo)
  Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems ("Keith Wheeler")
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ ("pozzugno")
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ ("pozzugno")

From: David List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argument for Linux: WebCam
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:09:44 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:47:55 GMT, Mickey Mullin wrote in <954ac7$4j9$1@nn=
rp1.deja.com>:
> My company is putting together a web camera that is going to be
> watching the development of a carpentry project.  I would rather go
> with a Linux box driving the camera, because it can be lighter weight
> and easier to maintain.  My partner, on the other hand, thinks Windows
> would be easier, since more cameras come prepackaged with drivers for
> Windows and maintenance on the equipment would be simpler with
> PCAnywhere or something similar.

There is a webcam with built-in web-interface on the market. It runs Linu=
internally. I cannot recall the manufacturer name right now, but I think =
saw an article about it on linuxtoday.com.

--=20
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
David List

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SIOCSISFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:24:17 GMT

After installing SUSE's Linux 6.2 on
my Compaq Presario 4546,
I could not get my
Netgear FA310TX Rev-D2 to work.
"rcnetwork restart" gave the error
"SIOCSISFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable".
I'm very greatfull to have found a solution
in this newsgroup.
Setting "Plug & Play O/S:" to [NO] fixed it.
On my Presario, the way to get to BIOS is
when one first turns on the computer,
when the "Compaq" screen shows,
press F10, not Ctrl-Alt-F1 as
in some other computers.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Mike Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:16:30 -0600

Not sure what your budget is, but there was a reveiw of the Axis 2100
Network camera in LInux Journal #77.  It runs about US$500 and is a
self-containned unit that simply plugs into your LAN.  It even has an
on-board web server.

Mike

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:43:11 GMT

hi

we've got very similar problems but we get an error

unable to mount root fs on 21:08

this site was very helpful in getting the fireball AS harddrive to work
which apparently is tied in with the ATA 100 problem...

any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

TIA

serge

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  eander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
> lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
linux
> x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in
the
> kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will
ignore
> the CPU ID from that point on.
>
> Ben Holmes wrote:
> >

> > In article <91kbhf$r4b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Jacob Hooysma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> > > you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> > > search field in the help database
> > >
> > > Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> > > but after that the system hangs.
> >
> > Ditto... any answers anyone?
> >
> > > Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..
> > >
> > > Grtx Jacob
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:43:35 GMT

hi

http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/

any help with our FS problem would be much appreciated!

TIA

serge

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  eander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're getting a Kernel Panic, the problem is caused by the AMD
> processor. Athlons and Durons do not have CPU IDs, which causes the
> lockup. Bypass the problem at boot by typing (at the LILO prompt):
linux
> x86_serial_nr=1. When you run the install, type that same command in
the
> kernel arguments textbox near the end of the install, and it will
ignore
> the CPU ID from that point on.
>
> Ben Holmes wrote:
> >

> > In article <91kbhf$r4b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Jacob Hooysma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Suse provides a special bootdisk for the Asus A7V motherboard
> > > you can download it form there ftp site....just type A7V in their
> > > search field in the help database
> > >
> > > Let me know if it works.....I tried it, it know recognises my disk
> > > but after that the system hangs.
> >
> > Ditto... any answers anyone?
> >
> > > Probably caused by my second ATA disc a seagate..
> > >
> > > Grtx Jacob
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 800+
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:51:52 -0000

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:26:05 GMT, pozzugno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:56:18 GMT, pozzugno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Hi all,
>> >I have a problem with that printer. Anyone has it working with Linux?
>>
>> I have a Epson Stylus Color 800 (no +) that works great with Linux (Debian
>> in my case).
>>

>> >I have Mandrake 7.0 with kernel 2.2.17 but when I send a text file to
>> >/dev/lp0 nothing happens, no error. The printer, that is on, doesn't
>> >nothing.
>>
>> How about /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2 ?
>
>Nothing.
>
>> What's your /proc/ioports look like?
>
>I have /proc/partport/0/* and seem to be good!

Here is the contents of my /proc/parport/0/*

homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/irq
none
homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base:   0x3bc
irq:    none
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,PS2
homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/devices
 lp
homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/autoprobe

>> >I'm sure that parport module is loaded with correct IRQ and IO address.
>> >I have same problem with DOS (pure DOS) while I have no problem with
>> >Windows 98 and the driver from Epson.
>>
>> How about 'dmesg | grep parport' ?
>
>Nothing, because I have parport compiled as module.

I don't know about your system but on mine dmesg keeps logging module loads
etc. even after bootup so no matter when a module loads it still shows up.

Can I assume you are also loading parport_pc and lp modules?

>If you send a file directly to /dev/lp[0,1,2] does it work?

Yes

>Another question, can you print from *pure* DOS or not?

I believe so but I'm not in a position to re-boot just now.

>What are your BIOS settings for parallel port?

0x3bc IRQ 7  I'm not using interrupt driven printing so the IRQ doesn't
matter in my case.

Since you apparently are using interrupt driven printing can you check
/proc/interrupts both before and after "echo 'hello' > /dev/lp0".  Has the
number of interrupts incremented?  I don't know how well this works for
printers but it's served me well diagnosing serial ports and sound cards.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Athlon motherboard suggestions (with RH 7.0)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:51:52 GMT

HI

We've got an athlon 700 running ATA 100 under RHT 7 and we've had
nothing but problems.

error #1

wouldn't recognize hardware / Hard drive

loaded ide commands from this guys site
http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/

very useful but now we are getting error

unable to mount  root fs on 21:08

as you might guess we are not technical enough to get around this
string of problems...any suggestions?

TIA

serge

In article <94sf26$dm0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> I am using an Asus A7V motherboard with the Athlon 1000 Thunderbird.
I built
> this to be a Linux box. Never intended it to dual boot into any other
OS.

> RH 7 would not initially install as it did not "see" my IBM 45GB
ATA100
> drive on the Promise controller. So I moved it over to the onboard
VIA ATA66
> controller and RH installed no problem.
>
> From there I played with the 2.4.0 kernel, but ended up going with the
> 2.2.18 kernel and adding the Hedrick 12/21/00 patches for ATA100.
That's
> been stable now for over a day.
>
> Not sure if the A7V will go up to the 1.2GHz Athlon. But I do know
you want
> to go with IBM ATA100 drives. They seem to have the lowest problems on
> ATA100 (like none) of all the drives out there.
>
> Good Luck,
> KW
>
> Anthony Pioli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:Gr5c6.45999$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am going to upgrade my computer with a new CPU, motherboard, and
HD.

> > I want the fastest CPU around (within reason), and so a 1.2Ghz
Athlon
> > seems to be a good choice for the price. So, which motherboard
> > do you recommend for this CPU? I will mostly be running a desktop
machine
> > at this point, but I want a fast one (I don't like to wait for g++
> > finish!)
> >
> > Also, what HD is good? I had thought that SCSI was what I wanted,
but now
> > I am thinking ATA 100 will be fine. I kinda like the IBM drives
simply
> > because they seem quiet! I'm under the impression that RH7.0 does
> > not like the promise controller, but so long as it works without a
fuss on
> > a simple install of the OS, I'll be happy to wait till it is
supported (in
> > RH7.1?)
> > or I get the energy to play with newer drivers my self.
> >
> > My main goal is a highly capable machine, perhaps initially with
lower
> > performance due to RH7.0 not supporting it fully, but with the
knowledge
> > that
> > in about 3 months(?) RH7.1 will support it.
> >
> > I know that these are vague-ish requirements, so just a gut feeling,
> > your own experiences, etc, will be fine to get me started
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Anthony

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "John D Lamb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:48:15 -0000

This printer is supported by the gimp-print plugin available from
http://sourceforge.net , though I haven't tested it. If you install
gimp-1.2.1, available from http://www.gimp.org you should can print pictures
from gimp. If you want more general printing, you'll need to install the
gimp-print drivers in Ghostscript. You may also want to install CUPS or even
QtCups to get very general control over the setup and use of this printer.
Details are at http://www.linuxprinting.org

JDL

news:6yVc6.42996$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Justus Bernold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinTV PCI-FM
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:09:19 +0100

Hello

I've set up a system (Kernel 2.2.16-SMP, SUSE 7.0 Professional) with a
WinTV PCI-FM card. The kernel is the one out of the box (I do have a
MSI694D-PRO AI with one Celeron 667 installed).
After scanning for the different channels I do not get any image or
sound. What I get is absolute silence on the audio channels (even though
kjukebox is working) and some flickering on the top part of the window
wich should show the TV image.
I already followed the suggestions on the SUSE support database (some
alteration in modules.conf) but to no avail.
Is anybody out there who has further ideas where to look for a solution?
(And, by the way... yes, the antenna cable is plugged in... :-))

Messages:
Warning: main: VideoModeExtension Version mismatch, disabled
Warning: main: server version 2.0 != included version 0.8
.....lots of Debug information
Warning: v4l1: X-Server DGA extension version mismatch, disabled
Warning: v4l1: server version 2.0 != included version 1.1

Justus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: new VIA AC'97 sound drivers?
Date: 29 Jan 2001 15:07:33 -0500

In article <3U096.222916$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rod Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[Posted and mailed]
>
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> My Gigabyte motherboard came with RH 6.2 drivers for the built in sound
>> card. They worked fine with SuSE 6.3.  Now I am running Mandrake 7.2 and
>> they are a no go.  They complain about the kernel version.  Can I update
>> the drivers to work with 2.2.17-21xxx ?
>
>In my experience, the VIA 82c686a sound drivers that come with the
>kernel are pretty weak. They support only 8-bit sound, for instance. The
>ALSA project (http://www.alsa-project.org) has much better drivers.
>They're a nuisance to install, but once installed, they work much more
>reliably and produce better (16-bit) sound. A tip: Read the
>instructions. Read them again. THEN compile and install while reading
>the instructions the third time.

Actually ALSA has gotten much simpler as of late. There's only a couple or
three caveats you need to be aware of:

1) ALSA has it's own mixers and own PCM drivers. To stay compatible with OSS
you must install the snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss modules if you wish to
continue to use the standard OSS applications.

2) The most annoying thing is that the ALSA drivers mute the card by default.
So you must (ABSOLUTELY MUST) umute the channels to hear them. I like the
amixer application that comes in the utilities package because it will do
a command line unmute.

3) One small annoyance with the AC'97 driver. I can't get it's PCM frequency
over 11025 Hz. It's good enough for the simple MP3 applications I'm doing
but I'd sure be interested in how to get the full 44100 Hz out of it.

Other than that it's really download, unpack, config, make install.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: "Walter Rusin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: re:kernel compilation problem
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:15:24 +0100

Tyr to compile following modules as part of the system kelrnel. As far as I
know it's better to have 'fat' and network-card-support in the kernel.

Walter

------------------------------

From: "Zach Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ROM upgrade sample code...
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:51:17 -0800

I am looking for sample code that demonstrates the process involved in
upgrading the ROM on an adaptor card, preferably a PCI card...  Can anyone
help me out on this, either with some code, or at least an explanation of a
typical scenario?

Thanks...

  -Zach

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:24:09 GMT

Y'all are doin' things the long way 'round.  There are neato graphical
utilities in Mandrake that should make setting up this printer a snap.  It's
bee two whole months since I've been using KDE 2.0, so I've forgotten
exactly which icons and menu items you need to click on.  However, I bet
printer configuration is hiding in linuxconf, and all you need to so is go
in there and select "Printer Setup," or something like that.  I know for a
fact that the 800 is supported, because I used to see it on the list
whenever I was messing around with my old Stylus Pro.  Click around a
little, you'll find it.  If it doesn't work then post back.

Matt O.

news:954hfb$786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: schlomo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: chi.forsale,comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: LastChance!FA:IBM ThinkPad 365XD p133/24mb/1gb/cdrom/Linux +MORE!!!!!!!!!
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:20:09 GMT

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1209819290

IBM ThinkPad 365XD Linux ............. [ThinkPenguine]
133MHZ CPU
11" Display
24MB Ram
1.0GB HD
Internal CD-ROM
External Floppy (IBM p/n 10h3980)
AC Adapter (IBM p/n 85G6709)
56K PCMCIA Fax/Modem
Two button mouse
External 1.0GB Sparq Drive including
removable cartridge w/ installed Linux driver
Linux Slackware 3.6 original 4 disc set included
Pre-installed software including Netscape 4.74,
Corel Wordperfect 8, and more...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: suitable backup hardware?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:56:46 -0600

"Florian v. Savigny" wrote:

> Roberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I have an HP Colorado Travan tape streamer that connects to the IDE
> > controller and it works fine. Mine is can hold 8GB (compressed).

> Sounds good - so your streamer does *not* need the ftape driver? Is it
> automatically reckognized by Linux and used via /dev/ht0 resp.
> /dev/nht0?

Only tape devices that connect to a floppy controller need ftape.
ATAPI/IDE tape drives use the kernel's "IDE tape support" instead
(or SCSI emulation support, if you prefer).  My HP-Colorado 5GB
IDE tape drive is recognized automatically (I did have to compile
the IDE tape support with the kernel) and can use either
/dev/nht0 or /dev/ht0.

> Err... then would you mind also telling me the price of the device and
> the media?

I bought mine several years ago and paid about US$180 for the
drive.  I've seen them on ebay for about US$40 at times lately.
Media goes for US$20-25 per cartridge, depending on where you buy
it.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Quivis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:46:10 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:10:02 GMT, pozzugno had this to say...

-> > So, is it a Win printer? I'm asking coz "type filename.txt > prn"
-> > under pure DOS ought to work unless it's a Win printer that needs
-> > certain Win stuff (probably some .DLLs need to be loaded) to function.
->
-> I tried to print from pure DOS and I saw two behavior: with an old
-> 486 with Windows 3 and no Linux, printer works well under pure DOS;
-> on the PC with Windows 98 and Linux printer doesn't work under
-> pure DOS either Linux!!!!
-> So, printer isn't a winprinter and perhaps the problem is hardware with
-> PC, but the printer works well with Windows 98! argh!
->
-> Some BIOS setting problem? EPP+ESP or what? Cable?

Check this:
Msg-ID:  <9543sj$u72$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to determine IP information for
         eth0 : How do I fix this ?
Author:  regeti
NG:      redhat.networking.general

Suggests a setting in BIOS: "OS to OTHER instead of have win98/winnt"

Might be worth a try...

Good luck! :-)

Quivis.
--
SPAM goes here: root@localhost
A freeware Indexer, Renamer, Personalizer?

------------------------------

From: "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:00:38 -0700

I've been down this road for about the last month. I have the Asus A7V with
the Athlon 1Ghz Thunderbird, 256MB ECC SDRAM, IBM 45GB ATA100 HDD, Toshiba
48x CD-ROM, and 2 - Intel PRO/100+ NICs. And I tried to install RH 7.0 onto
the IBM HDD attached to the embedded Promise ATA100 controller. No go.

I tried playing with the 2.4.0 kernel, but it was too unstable for me. I
ended up using the 2.2.18 kernel and would recommend you do also. First go
to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/ and download
linux-2.2.18.tar.gz. Uncompress this into /root. Rename the linux directory
to linux-2.2.18, and move the directory to /usr/src. Edit the symbolic link
in /usr/src for linux to point to linux-2.2.18. You now have the base source
code for the 2.2.18 kernel in place.

Now go to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.18/
and download ide.2.2.18.1221.patch.bz. Uncompress this and place the
resulting .patch file in the /usr/src/linux-2.2.18. Now at the command line
type "patch -p0 < ide.2.2.18.1221.patch". This will patch the 2.2.18 source
code with the new IDE disk controllers.

Now do a make menuconfig and configure your kernel parameters. Copy
System.map to /boot/System.map-2.2.18 and bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18.
Up date your /etc/lilo.conf. Run lilo -v, and you should be good to go.

I skipped a lot of steps I know. I'd suggest you refer to the README file in
the kernel and the Kernel HowTo's on the RedHat site. Both have a TON more
info than I included here. The only thing I have not yet done on my system
is run hdparm to adjust the transfer speeds. The difference in performance
is amazing!

Hope that helps.

Good Luck,
KW

------------------------------

From: "pozzugno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:00:03 GMT

"Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Here is the contents of my /proc/parport/0/*
>
> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/irq
> none
> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
> base:   0x3bc
> irq:    none
> dma:    none
> modes:  SPP,PS2
> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/devices
>  lp
> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/autoprobe

They are as mine except I specify IRQ when loading module.
Can it be a problem?

> >> How about 'dmesg | grep parport' ?
> >
> >Nothing, because I have parport compiled as module.
>
> I don't know about your system but on mine dmesg keeps logging module
loads
> etc. even after bootup so no matter when a module loads it still shows up.

When I load parport_pc and lp modules, /var/log/messages shows correct
lines.

> Can I assume you are also loading parport_pc and lp modules?

Yes.

> >If you send a file directly to /dev/lp[0,1,2] does it work?
>
> Yes

This is a problem!!!!!
I tried to cat a file into /dev/lp[0,1,2] but nothing!!!
AARGHHH!

Are you sure? You type:
    echo "hello" >/dev/lp0
and it works?

> >Another question, can you print from *pure* DOS or not?
>
> I believe so but I'm not in a position to re-boot just now.

Can you try and tell me the result?

> >What are your BIOS settings for parallel port?
>
> 0x3bc IRQ 7  I'm not using interrupt driven printing so the IRQ doesn't
> matter in my case.

What is the setting for parallel port? ECP, EPP, bidirectional or what
other?

> Since you apparently are using interrupt driven printing can you check
> /proc/interrupts both before and after "echo 'hello' > /dev/lp0".  Has the
> number of interrupts incremented?  I don't know how well this works for
> printers but it's served me well diagnosing serial ports and sound cards.

I'll try..
I don't know what is "interrupt driven printing"...

------------------------------

From: "pozzugno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:00:07 GMT

> This printer is supported by the gimp-print plugin available from
> http://sourceforge.net , though I haven't tested it. If you install
> gimp-1.2.1, available from http://www.gimp.org you should can print
pictures
> from gimp. If you want more general printing, you'll need to install the
> gimp-print drivers in Ghostscript.

I know (from www.linuxprinting.org) that Epson Stylus 800 works well
with st800 driver of ghostscript, while www.linuxprinting.org
doesn't mention 800+.
Is it possible that are so many differences from 800 to 800+ that
it's necessary to change the driver from st800 to gimp-print?

Moreover, a cat prova.txt >/dev/lp[0,1,2] doens't work!