Linux-Hardware Digest #289, Volume #14            Fri, 2 Feb 01 15:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Gigabyte motherboards (hac)
  Re: Please help: Linux 2.2.18 SMP Crash (Oz Dror)
  support for adaptec AHA-2910C scsi controller? ("The Goldinos")
  Re: How to develop a PCI card w/o frequent reboots in Linux (Iwo Mergler)
  Re: How to develop a PCI card w/o frequent reboots in Linux ("Alan")
  Leadtek TV2000 on linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help me build a Monster Machine (Paul Repacholi)
  Re: Gigabyte motherboards (Joe Pfeiffer)
  Re: Heeelllp Mr. Wizard!!! ("Jeffrey S. Mulliken")
  Re: Where can I get the VooDoo2 Glide RPMs? (eversor1)
  Re: Where can I get the VooDoo2 Glide RPMs? (Jeff Moore)
  Thanks!: video capture card (Mike Edwards)
  Re: how do I mount my tape drive? (Nigel Kukard)
  Re: Gigabyte motherboards (Peter Christy)
  Re: SunPCi Card (p43cibmgs-Frank)
  Re: SunPCi Card (Greg Yantz)
  Re: Thanks!: video capture card (Robert Wiegand)
  Recommendations for ethernet cards and other hardware wanted... ("Dr. Ram Samudrala")
  Re: GPS ("peter kröll")
  Fibre Channel Adaptor? (Cubic Meter)

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gigabyte motherboards
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:20:19 GMT

Chris wrote:

> > on what are good mbs. I am wanting to go with a Thunderbird processor and
> > was wondering what anybody thought of Gigabyte mbs. Do they still make aa
> > AMD based mb.
> >
> > Any thoughts, gratefully recieved.
>
> AFAIK they do. Have a look on AMD`s site, they have a section on
> recommended mbs with links to manufacturers. Although I`d recommend
> an ABit over the GA - have a look on Tom's Hardware before you make
> any choices though.

I'm happy with the new ASUS A7V133, used with a 1GHz tbird.  The
primary IDE controller is now ATA100, in addition to the secondary
Promise controller.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Oz Dror <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help: Linux 2.2.18 SMP Crash
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:27:05 -0800

APM and ACPI are disabled. I could not find any indication of a problem
in /var/log/messages.

the 5V range in the last 7 hours (while there was not crash) is
+4.72 - +5.24

Is it possible that it could be anything but a power supply, if so how can I
find
what cause the problem (can this be a CPU or motherboard problem).
can linux help in detecting the problem?

thanks oz

-Oz

------------------------------

From: "The Goldinos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: support for adaptec AHA-2910C scsi controller?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:44:02 GMT

Can anyone tell me if RedHat 6.x supports the Adaptec AHA-2910C SCSI
controller on Intel machines? The Supported Hardware List includes the 2910B
and the 2920C but no mention of the 2910C.  If you know for a fact that this
controller works,  I would appreciate a reply.

Thank you.
Robin G.

From: Iwo Mergler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to develop a PCI card w/o frequent reboots in Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:53:00 +0000

Mulder wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am developing a PCI card composed of a AMCC S5920 chip and a Altera FPGA
> chip majorly.
> The H/W routine can be simplified as : PCI bus <--> S5920 <--> FPGA
>
> I develop H/W and its Linux driver as well.
> There is a PCI protection card between PCI bus and my PCI card.
> The PCI protection card can turn my PCI card on/off when PC is ON.
> Since the internal logic of the FPGA is not fully completed,
> I have to reprogram the FPGA frequently.
> I am worried that this action will crash the PC frequently.
>
> Any tips / suggestions can help me through this process any faster ?
> Thanks very much.
>
> Mulder

Mulder,

try to find a way to reconfigure the EPLD without powering the S5920
down. Altera's passive serial port (Byteblaster) allows you to do this.
The PCI controller holds the address ranges assigned to it by the BIOS
and you don't want it to 'forget' them...

Unfortunately I don't know the S5920 in detail (I'm using PLX myself)
but I assume the chip behaves itself with the EPLD suddenly missing.
Pull up/down resistors on critical signals will help, - the EPLD switches
all I/O's to tristate in configuration mode.

Just make sure you unload the driver module before you attempt reconfiguration.

Kind regards,

Iwo

------------------------------

From: "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:31:07 -0500

I used to hot plug cards in DOS all the time using an extender.  All you
have to do is re-initialize the PCI configuration space.  (i.e. the base
address, IRQ, and I/O enable config registers) This is what the BIOS does on
boot up. Just make sure on your initial boot you have the card plugged in
(i.e. on)  Use the same base address(es) and make sure you use the same
interupt request and line, because routing interupts is chipset specifice
and you don't want to have to deal with that.  I have not done this under
linux yet, but it sounds like something very feasible...you may want to mask
interupts when you turn the card on just in case....Good Luck..
Alan

news:95bp72$1ii4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Leadtek TV2000 on linux
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:30:34 GMT

Dear all,

How can i setup the "Leaktek winfast TV2000" to
run on RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5

Thanks

Cyrus

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Help me build a Monster Machine
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Feb 2001 23:38:55 +0800

"Ted Weldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The software is Monte Carlo code from CERN called GEANT, idl, custom
> analysis methods, ROOT, etc.  As far as Alphas go, I would be concerned
> that the kernel support and user base are not at the same level as for
> x86.  On the other hand, I have used Alphas before under Dec Unix, and
> they do smoke...

The pick will be memory bandwidth and cache. You may wish to
enquire when the Samsung 21264E will be available. 1.25 GHz,
Huge L2 on chip, pin for pin dropin for a 21264. Can't remember
the cache size for love or money :( but it's 1MB or more, 14 way.

Finding Alpha debuged stuff can be a bit of a niggle. But, do you
want bleading edge kernel, or fast MC?

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Feb 2001 09:33:35 -0700

"Andrew Higgs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have been out of the hardware thing for quite some time now. Any thought s
> on what are good mbs. I am wanting to go with a Thunderbird processor and
> was wondering what anybody thought of Gigabyte mbs. Do they still make aa
> AMD based mb.
>
> Any thoughts, gratefully recieved.

I've had both very good and very bad luck with Gigabyte.  My Athlon MB
(GA7IXE I think?  I'd have to look it up, and I'm not at home) has
been rock-solid.  I also got a couple of their Aladdin-V boards for a
K6-2, which have been disastrous -- my wife was running Windows on one
and crashing several times per day; my daughter is running Linux on
the other and seeing unexpected program terminations constantly.

My wife's got replaced by an Intel 815 (8815EEA?  Again, if the right
number matters I'll have to look it up) and PIII, which have been very
stable; my daughter's is getting replaced with an Athlon board (same
one I'm running) this weekend if I get time.

This will leave me with a couple of K6-2's and boards; I notice that
people are still writing patches for the Aladdin V -- if it ever
becomes stable I'm going to have a couple of nice compute servers...
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Mulliken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.ppp,linux.dev.ppp,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.admin,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Heeelllp Mr. Wizard!!!
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:06:02 GMT

We would consider any change that would enable our objectives, but one of the
objectives is to be able to connect to the corporate servers with either Linux,
or Windoze machines.  We talked about changing to IPSec, but it's my
understanding that Win98 doesn't support IPSec.  So, would Win9x work with CIPE?
(Which I have not heard of.  Where would I find info on it?)

    Thanks again,

            Jeff

------------------------------

From: eversor1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I get the VooDoo2 Glide RPMs?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:04:56 -0800

It is strange that they are no longer listed on that site.
However I found them at: http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/ but they
says that they will be taking them down shortly, so get them
quick.

Later
Eve

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:37:36 +0000

Some linux drivers can be found at:

http://www.driverguide.com/

It is my last resort.

Jeff Moore

------------------------------

From: Mike Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Thanks!: video capture card
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:47:39 -0600

Just wanted to let everyone that responded to my earlier post know that
your advice was appreciated.  I just ordered a Hauppauge WinTV dbx
Stereo/FM Stereo card for US$93 and it should arrive on Monday.  It
looks like Hauppauge supports Linux, but their software looks like it
might be restricted to KDE.  Can anyone verify that?

Thanks again!
Mike

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 20:11:03 +0200
From: Nigel Kukard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <OCrc6.42229$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> > one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to
> access
> > my tape drive.  I have tried:
> > mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> > mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
> >
> > but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have
> added
> > the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
> >
> > darren welson
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> Try /dev/st0 for rewinding tape device, and /dev/nst0 for a non
> rewinding tape device.
>
> Hope this is helpful.
> Scott
> ---
> Support provided by Linuxgruven, Inc.
> www.linuxgruven.com
> 314-727-0918
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You cannot mount a tape device, it is sequential access NOT random, jeezuz how
many times do i have to post this message!

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:33:41 +0000

I'm currently running a GA-7ZM with a Duron 700 on board. Its great! No
problems with either windoze or Linux (Mandrake 7.2, kernel 2.4.1). Getting
the on-board audio to work under linux was slightly problematic, but the
Alsa drivers provided a solution. Very stable, very fast, thoroughly
recommended!

--
Pete

From: p43cibmgs-Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SunPCi Card
Date: 2 Feb 2001 18:29:14 GMT

MindPatrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone have any information about using a SunPCi card
> under Linux. This is basically a complete PC on a PCI card
> that Sun sells (sold?) to run M$ Windoze on a Sun
> workstation. It requires a device driver that seems to exist
> only for Solaris.

> Any tips that might help me get this thing running will be
> greatly appreciated.

SO if you have a SunPCI card, you have a sun workstation...
and if you have a sun workstation, why don't you use Solaris?

Tim

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Feb 2001 14:11:46 -0500

p43cibmgs-Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> MindPatrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Does anyone have any information about using a SunPCi card
> > under Linux. This is basically a complete PC on a PCI card
> > that Sun sells (sold?) to run M$ Windoze on a Sun
> > workstation. It requires a device driver that seems to exist
> > only for Solaris.

Sorry, I have no information on this topic.

> > Any tips that might help me get this thing running will be
> > greatly appreciated.

> SO if you have a SunPCI card, you have a sun workstation...

This is not necessarily so.

> and if you have a sun workstation, why don't you use Solaris?

This is an amazingly unhelpful answer.

Maybe he doesn't like Solaris, or his Sun workstation was eaten
by rabid muskrats, or he wants to use the card in a ppc linux
system, or... any number of things.

-Greg

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thanks!: video capture card
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:10:00 -0600

Mike Edwards wrote:

> It
> looks like Hauppauge supports Linux, but their software looks like it
> might be restricted to KDE.  Can anyone verify that?

I don't know if this is true, but it shouldn't make any difference.

You don't need to use the KDE desktop to run KDE programs.
You just need the KDE libraries on your sytem.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Ram Samudrala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Recommendations for ethernet cards and other hardware wanted...
Date: 2 Feb 2001 19:48:06 GMT

I'm buying a whole bunch of machines and I would appreciate some help
on what the current best choices are for various hardware options
since I've been out of the Linux loop for a few months.

Most of these machines will be used for heavy computing. So for these
machines I need a cheap video card, a fast ethernet card (currently we
use the Intel Etherexpress Pro ones which we're fairly happy with)
priced around $50-$100, large disks (what is the largest IDE disk
supported by Linux today - can I get the Maxtor 80 GB drives?), and
dual processors (right now I'm looking at 1 GHz PIIIs -- how reliable
are the 1.2 GHz ones?).

A few of these machines will be used for desktop work which will
involve extensive graphics. So for these, what's a good video card
that'll work well under Linux (up to, say $200-300)?

I've gotten a lot of recommendations from people and from DejaNews,
but I'm interested in more input.

Thanks in advance!

--Ram

------------------------------

From: "peter kröll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.os.linux.suse,at.linux,ger.pc.linux,maus.computer.linux,z-netz.alt.linux
Subject: Re: GPS
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:04:39 +0100

peter schreibt, von texas instruments gibt es ei
news:8tdava$5t76$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fibre Channel Adaptor?
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:08:29 -0500

I just bought a Seagate 9.1 GB hard drive on ebay, but it turns out it is
fibre channel. Is there an adaptor that can be used to connect this to the
IDE channel on my MB? Either one I can buy or build? Thanks

m^3