Linux-Hardware Digest #289, Volume #9            Thu, 28 Jan 99 08:13:30 EST

Contents:
  Re: fdisk partitioning > 8GB drive (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: Problems mounting JAZ drive (Andries Brouwer)
  Linux on MicroStar 6120 (Yann Muller)
  Re: fdisk partitioning > 8GB drive (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: Turtle Beach Montego A3D (Dell OEM) (jackle)
  FINALLY!! OPTi931 sound card is working!! BUT... ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) ("狂人")
  Re: Rack Mount Cases (BL)
  Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86 (jackle)
  Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10 (Duncan Simpson)
  Don't post in HTML, it's bad manners (Mircea)
  Re: linux max RAM is 1GB? (Kristofer Coward)
  ESS1689 and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: keyboard auto-repeat rate question (Gary Momarison)
  videocard ("Pamateur")
  Re: Overclocked Celeran300A and Linux? (Norbert Goebel)
  Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Don't post in HTML, it's bad manners (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: videocard ("Randall E. Williamson")
  Newbie Soundblaster Help! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Terasound A3D PCI sound in Linux? ("Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wahlstr=F6m?=")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: fdisk partitioning > 8GB drive
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:13:46 GMT

Bryan McKinley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: win98 is loaded and supports my very large disk (~11GB); my bios has LBA
: support.  I have been reading the docs & howtos and they indicate that I
: should pass 'linear' to the kernel on boot to make it use logical sector-like
: addressing rather than CHS.  I don't see this listed among options
: available to pass to the kernel at boot time.  Am I barking up the wrong
: tree?  The docs indicate that fdisk can handle disks this large so long
: as the kernel supports the linear disk addressing mode.
: How do I set options at LILO-time to make this happen?
: Is this already happening unbeknownst to me?  Kernel logs CHS-style disk
: info on boot, not linear info--at a cursory glance.

You do not mention any problem.
There is no reason to expect any problems - a recent kernel will handle
your disk just fine - there is no need to start doing obscure things.

(i)  The kernel always gives a C/H/S at boot time (for IDE disks) - it just
tells you what geometry it will give fdisk and LILO if hey ask for one.
It does not mean that the kernel itself uses CHS addressing.
(It will use LBA whenever that is supported by your disk, i.e., always,
on recent hardware.)

(ii) This `linear' thing is not something for the kernel, but for LILO.
Edit /etc/lilo.conf adding a line
        linear
(NOT append="linear" like some people are saying; append is for
giving options to the kernel, this is an option for LILO itself.
Read the LILO documentation, or lilo.conf(5)).
Usually everything works fine both with and without this LILO option.

(iii) The more you worry about these things the less it will work.
For the great majority of people, doing absolutely nothing is the
right way to get things working.
Sometimes people have problems mounting a disk and start fiddling with
geometries, but a mount problem is never a geometry problem.
Look at the kernel boot messages. First there is a section about
what disks are recognized, like

hda: Maxtor 91728D8, 16479MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1020/200/62, DMA
hdb: QUANTUM Bigfoot TX12.0AT, 11497MB w/69kB Cache, CHS=23361/16/63, DMA
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 12657717 [6180 MB] [6.2 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17755792 [8669 MB] [8.7 GB]

and then a section about what partitions are seen on the disk, like

Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 >
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 < sdb5 sdb6 >
 sdc: sdc1 sdc2 < sdc5 sdc6 sdc7 > sdc3
 sdd: sdd1 < sdd5 sdd6 > sdd2 sdd3 sdd4
 hda: hda1
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 > hdb3 hdb4
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 hdc4

Once the kernel mentions a disk, you know that it has seen this disk.
Once the kernel mentions the partitions, you know that it can read the disk.

Geometry-related problems only occur in relation to other systems
like DOS and Windows (and perhaps the BIOS), and only for LILO and
fdisk, never for the Linux kernel or mount or so.

[And for the gurus a question: What is peculiar in the above kernel messages?
What causes it? Could the kernel have avoided it?]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: Problems mounting JAZ drive
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:29:07 GMT

Steven Headley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

:     I am having problems mounting my Jaz drive to RedHat Linux 5.2. This
: same procedure worked on RedHat 5.0 but dosen't want to work in 5.2.
: When I try:

:  mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb4 /backup:

: I get the following:mount: /dev/sdb4 is not a valid block device.

: I know the system recognizes the drive since it shows in the
: /var/messages:

: Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8388315 [4095 MB] [4.1 GB]
:  sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 >
: SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2091050 [1021 MB] [1.0 GB]
: sdb: Write Protect is off
:  sdb:

: I am wondering why it won't mount the drive.
: Any help would be appreciated

You say correctly that the system recognizes the drive.

But you do not mention any partitions found on the drive.
>From the above output I cannot see that sdb4 exists.
If the partition check does not mention sdb4 then there is
no such partition and then it cannot be mounted either.

------------------------------

From: Yann Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on MicroStar 6120
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:24:13 +0000

I'd like to know if anyone managed to get a useable Linux installation
on the MicroStar 6120 motherboard (that's the one with dual processor
-SMP 1.1- and dual channel SCSI controller).

I tried to install Debian but it failed miserably. So I tried RedHat
5.2. It install OK, can compile a kernel but that'a about all it can do.
Every other program I wanted to compile failed with meaningless error
messages (sames progs compile fine on my other machine with same RH).

I also had some "bus error" messages when doing ldconfig but it's not
doing it anymore I don't know why.

Maybe I need to specify some kernel options at boot time or compile a
kernel with specific options but I don't know which ones. Could someone
help me with this?

Thanks in advance,
Yann

   http://www.mygale.org/~ymuller
      (EasyRCS for Amiga - Homepage of Misanthrope - ...)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:21:43 GMT

Bryan McKinley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Ok, under RedHat lilo I tried:

: boot:  hda=10022,8,[200,256,330]      <--From drive specs 200-330 s/t

: The square brackets indicate 3 values I have tried with fdisk without
: committing
: the partition changes.  Question is, since the sectors/track varies from
: 200-300,
: what should I use?  200 produced no warnings but 256 and 330 produced
: cylinder ending warnings.  (Your e-mail is bounced by the way).

Read the Large Disk HOWTO. A quote:
"Only fools talk about the `real' geometry of the drive".

You see - nobody is interested in the `real' geometry.
It does not exist. It will not be used, and it cannot be used.
Linux wants the geometry only for interaction with DOS and BIOS.
But DOS and BIOS use a geometry concept where you have 6 bits
for the number of sectors per track. So each of the values
200, 256, 330 is nonsensical, 63 is the maximum.
If you say nothing at all, and avoid giving "hda=..." options,
chances are good that all will be fine, especially if you use
a recent kernel, like 2.0.34 or 2.0.36.

Read the Large Disk HOWTO.

------------------------------

From: jackle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Montego A3D (Dell OEM)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:44:26 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Turtle Beach Montego A3D PCI sound card in my new Dell
> computer and I'm running Redhat Linux 5.2 kernel 2.0.36.  Has anyone
> had any luck getting one of these to work under Linux?
>
> sndconfig detects an UNKNOWN PCI sound card but will not configure it
> and none of the standard emulations (Sound Blaster, SB Pro, etc.)
> work.  Is there anywhere I could find drivers for this card, or
> anything else I might try?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> J. Freeman

The turtle beach montego is not yet support by linux.
go to  www.opensound.com  it'll let you know when the driver's
available.

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: FINALLY!! OPTi931 sound card is working!! BUT...
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:27:25 +0000

I have finally made my opti931-based sound card work. I was ready to
give up, until I gave it another try.

Here was my configuration:
2.0.36 kernel using redhat 5.2
ossfree 3.8s2
isapnp tools 1.17 (automatically run during bootup)

After following through the mini-HOWTO and all those docs, I still could
not make it work. The one thing I noticed different between my config
and those docs were that they were using ossfree 3.8s5. So I downloaded
the tar.gz file for ossfree3.86 (which when checked via cat /dev/sndstat
is actually 3.8s5).

I know I have tried this before. Back then, I did not moved
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound to /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.old. I
simply cd to /usr/src and then untarred and ungzipped. make zImage
failed!! So I brought back the original ossfree 3.8s2 from my redhat cd
using rpm -V.

I decided just today to give ossfree3.8s6 another try. This time:

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers
mv sound sound.old
cd /usr/src
gzip -dc <tarfile> | tar -xvf -
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

I was surprised that under the Sound menu, all I have is "Sound card
support" and "Additional low level drivers". Regardless of whether or
not you select Y, M or N for "Sound card support", these 2 options are
the only ones you get. There are supposed to be lots of options in the
menu.

Nevertheless, I proceeded to select N (as per readme.linux of the
ossfree tar.gz file) for sound card support, then make dep;make
clean;make zImage. Then rerun lilo, reboot.

Then I did the following, as mentioned in the readme.linux file of the
ossfree tar.gz file:

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound
make

Now you get the options that you normally get during make menuconfig or
make xconfig. I then proceeded to select my configuration (simply
followed the same IRQ, DMA, I/O as in the mini-HOWTO).

Then I copied sound.o (ONLY) to /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc, as inidicated
by readme.linux (did not mention copying all .o files)

Finally, the last instruction was to load sound: insmod sound .... but
I got lots of unresolved symbols!!!!!

I decided to do:

cd /usr/src/linux
make modules;make modules_install

Tried to load again. Same thing.

I then tried recompiling my kernel this time with sound compiled as
module. rebooted. Tried to load again. Same thing. Ran make modules;make
modules_install, load again, same thing.

===========
Over curiosity (which made the damn card work), I copied all .o files
from /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound to /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc, replacing
all existing .o files.
===========

Tried loading again. This time no unresolved symbol errors!!! And when I
actually cat /dev/sndstat, I now have devices detected!!!! ...except for
the Audio device. I resolved this quickly by unloading sound and running
the OPTI82C931 program, then loading again. Viola!!!!

Tested with cat sample.au >/dev/audio

It works!!!!!

Final test, I rebooted.

============================
BUT I have these unresolved symbol(s) errors still which are too fast
for me to read, but they all point to /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc. Neither
dmesg nor /var/log/messages stores the errors!!
============================

Nevertheless, I ran the OPTi program again, (remember that in my case,
isapnp is automatically run during startup), and I have sound again!!!

   * Use ossfree 3.8s6
   * Move /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound to
     /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.old
   * Ungzip and untar the ossfree tar.gz file from /usr/src.
   * Run make menuconfig (You will only see 2 options under Sound menu),
     making sure sound is compiled as module
   * make dep;make clean;make zImage. If you have problems here, try
     disabling sound first, compile, reboot, then do the following 2
     steps below, run make menuconfig again this time compiling sound as
     module. I'm saying this because I had problems with make zImage
     earlier after installing ossfree3.8s6 and then, without running
     make menuconfig, proceeded to make zImage.
   * Run lilo and reboot
   * run make from /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound
   * make modules;make modules_install
   * To be sure, copy all .o files from /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound to
     /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc (Why make modules_install did not do this,
     I don't know)
   * Run isapnp (assuming you have /etc/isapnp.conf configured properly)
     if not run yet
   * Run the opti program
   * insmod sound
   * cat /dev/sndstat to test

============================
NOTE:
You may or will get "unresolved symbol(s)" errors during the startup.
Why this happens, I don't know. The strange thing about this "unresolved
sybmol(s)" at startup is that it is not saved in /var/log/messages nor
is it with dmesg. Furthermore, even with these errors, sound now
works!!!!

If anyone can tell me exactly what an "unresolved symbol(s)" error is
(lke what can cause it) and how to resolve it, I'd be very thankful.
============================

Hopes the above info helps someone.

John Salvo

comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "狂人" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:07:04 GMT

In <78o2vq$g28$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/27/99
   at 05:11 PM, "Iain Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Duh, weren't we stupid for buying a Winmodem.  You'll find that if you read
>the box to your modem that you bought a piece of crap Winmodem.

Most people aim for low prices... and got winmodem... some aim for brand
name, and got Diamond crap...

--
===Team OS/2, Team OS/2 at Taiwan, ICE News Beta Tester. Bovine Team===
======Warped Key Crucher, And OS/2 ISP CD Project Member. TBA  #3======

     Owner of PC End User Web Site       http://www.pcenduser.com/

  光碟月刊 OS/2 技術編輯 Internet Pioneer CD-ROM Monthly, OS/2 Editor
      Java 1.1.4 - MR/2 ICE REG#:10510 - OS/2 T-Warp Connect 4.0
      ICQ# = 8943567 (Still Experimenting with ICQ for Java :) )

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rack Mount Cases
Date: 27 Jan 1999 23:08:52 GMT

my local store has them (www.centralcomputer.com)

and so do the mailorder places: www.asacomputers.com and JDR micro.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Hello All,

: I am looking at moving all my servers (386s, 486s, & Pentinums) to rack
: mounted cases.        Unfortunitly so far I have not been able to find a vendor to
: sell the rack mount cases without a computer inside.  I need two 5.25" bays
: and two 3.5" bays, a 230-250watt PS, AT style case.  Internal fans to cool it
: off.  If you know of anything that can suit my needs, please send me an email
: to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: Thanks
: Scott

: Scott Boss
: Atlanta Perl Mongers Fearless Leader
: website:   http://atlanta.pm.org
: community: http://www.dejanews.com/~apm

: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

--
AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zero' chars to letter 'o' chars.
bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net/

------------------------------

From: jackle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:39:28 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi!
> I have a problem with configuring my serial MS IntelliMouse with X under Linux.
> I have Slackware 3.3 (2.0.30 kernel, XFree86 3.3). When configuring X (XF86Setup,
>xf86config or directly editing XF86Config), I
> tried each possible setup, but the mouse cursor didn't want to move anyway.
> With XF86Setup (VGA16 server) I was able to use to mouse as IntelliMouse, but just
>until I started the final X server.
> It doesn't work neither with VGA16, SVGA nor S3 X servers.
> Can anyone help me?
> Should I download a newer XFree86?
> Please send e-mail to:
>
> Peter Csontos
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanx a lot!

Download the newest version of XFree86 3.3.3 that should fix your problem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10
Date: 28 Jan 1999 11:57:03 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> James Carlson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[stuff snipped]

Chat script that fails is:
>>  send ATQ0V1E1X4\r
>>  wait OK 5
>>  dial T*70,,*67,,555-1212 #As an example
>>  sleep 1
>>  send \r
>>  send \r
>>  wait Userid: 15
>>  send e(myunixID)\r
>>  wait Password? 15
>[...]

>Most ISPs do NOT want you to do that if you're using PPP.  Instead,
>they want you to just dial in and start using PPP, since that's what
>Windoze does.  If you start chatting a user name at them, then they'll
>usually assume you don't speak PPP.

Apparently all livingston portmasters have been wiped off the face of
the earth from this statements about most ISPs. Muy ISP uses
livingston portmasters and the appropiate chat-up line is

<dail up my ISP with AT commands>
ogin: me
ssword: secret

and then hit PPP mode. Demon internet, the largest ISP in the UK,  wants
<dail up demon internet with AT commands>
oign: you
ssword: password
ocol: ppp

and then hit PPP mode. At one time my ISP wanted you to authenticate
yourself with PAP after seeing the connect message. Windows has its
own equivilent of chat but it is more interactive, disguised and less
well documented. Personally I could all 3 as disadvantages---requiring
me to bring up a terminal windows and retype my name and ssword every
time I connect is a pain.

Duncan (-:
--
Duncan (-:

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Don't post in HTML, it's bad manners
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:18:27 -0500

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: Kristofer Coward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:42:40 GMT

> For some reason that I don't remember I believe that the 32 bits, although
> theoretically capable of addressing 4GB, can only really address 2GB.  But
> shouldn't this be actually 2G"words" (32 or 64 bits wide?)

I'm pretty sure that Intel processors use byte addressing, regardless of
the width of the data being accessed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ESS1689 and Linux
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:22:23 GMT

I have finally been successful at installing an ESS1689 based card with Linux
2.2.0.  If you need any help with the installation and configuration, please
email me.  I will try to give you some pointers.

-Bryan Liles

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: keyboard auto-repeat rate question
Date: 27 Jan 1999 15:19:07 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer) writes:

> Here's the story: I built a FIC 2013 & K6-2/350 for my wife &
> inherited her RoboTech m'board PentiumPro 200.  It has abysmally slow
> key repeat & this board's bios "setup" doesn't offer control of the
> keyboard rate.  I am using the same Northgate keyboard that was quite
> speedy when attached to my old 5x86.
>
> So, I will be much obliged for suggestions for speeding up key repeat.

Next time, Bob, try something like "man -k repeat", with which I found
"kbdrate" which sounds like it'll do the trick.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: "Pamateur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: videocard
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:51:56 +0100

Does anyone know about support foor the Diamond Stealth II S 220? I may be
stupid, but I can't find it.

Pieter

------------------------------

From: Norbert Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Overclocked Celeran300A and Linux?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:50:36 +0100

ST :-D wrote:

> If you did overclock C300A/BH6/450 & install LINUX, could you please post
> your results/findings here for pple like me who's considering doing it? The
> more affirmations, the more likely it's going to work fine.
> My other option is to get a Celeron 400 which is overclock-protected.
>
> ST.
>
> Scott Tyson wrote in message <19990122.4463028@metalhead>...
> I'm about to install linux onto an Abit BH6 MB with a clereon 300A and
> was wondering if people have had problems setting the bus to 100mhz.
> I hve pc100 sdram.  NT and win98 this is a non issue but Linux seems a
> bit more twitchy when it comes to overclocking from my own experiences
> (I had problems with a 75 mhz bus TX MB with a p233).
>
> --
> Scott Tyson
> eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ# 125581
> http://www.deepwell.com/~quake

  I am not using the BH6, but the Tyan Thunder 100. My C300A works fine (after
increasing VCore to 2.2V) with up to 464 MHz.

BTW in my case Linux ran stable with 2.0V Vcore, but Win98 hang every boot.

Norbert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:27:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[...]

>But if I assign IRQ 11 to something else, the X server will not fire up.
>One other tidbit ... on my  motherboard the AGP slot is set to IRQ 11 and so
>is pci slot right next to it . I cannot plug a pci card into this slot or a
>conflict results.

[...]

Yes. This is the default on many boards, and it can't be changed. Your AGP
card will always share an IRQ with the PCI slot next to it. The only
workaround is , of course, leaving that PCI slot empty.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Don't post in HTML, it's bad manners
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:25:11 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Dear Mircea, from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>It is also bad manners to change thread topics in the middle of a
>discussion
>and to post blank messages

True enough. Usually, you add at least a WAS: <insert old topic here>..
into the Subject: line.

>all my post are in plain ASCII + attached mime/HTML --I am going to get
>a lot of flames for wasting Bandwidth  :-)

You'll end up in a lot of killfiles, if you don't stop adding the
HTML stuff. Mny servers, btw, simply drop Usenet articles with HTML in
it. Please adjust your newsreader to just posting ASCII.

>if you see the html and not the ascii, it is because your newsreader
>preffers to see html: netscape 4.x comes to mind

No, it's because you're posting HTML tags, which most terminal users
will see as pure HTML code. If you're using a browser to read news,
get a real newsreader.

Michael

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:23:11 -0500
From: "Randall E. Williamson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: videocard

The latest version of XFree86 (3.3.3.1) supports the Rendition V2xxx chipset
on the Stealth.  Check out  http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/rendition.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie Soundblaster Help!
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:42:26 GMT

I have a Sound Blaster Vibra16X and this was recognized by Redhat 5.2
beautifully. Now, the card is then registered as having a bad or missing DMA
channel. Also, the bootup screen shows the soundcard is busy of is in use. The
other hardware is a 3com 3c509b network card, an ISA modem (plain, old), and a
Creative Labs 3D Exxtreme graphics card.  Please can, anyone help.

I see that there is a patch to the Linux Kernel 2.0.36 that regards the
Soundblaster Vibra 16X does request a DMA of 0.  Is this what I need?

Linux Man!@!

From: "Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wahlstr=F6m?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Terasound A3D PCI sound in Linux?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:27:15 +0100

Is a Terasound A3D PCI sound card supported in Linux?
Or is it compatible with some other card?

    Martin/