From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Subject: Re: 2 USB root hubs problem
Date: 21 Feb 2001 10:04:40 GMT

In article <96vtub$qqd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chris Thomson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My system has 2 physical USB root hubs on the motherboard (One built in and
>the other on a PCI card). I'm using Mandrake 7.2. Both work fine under
>windows, but in Linux only the hub on the PCI card has it's devices
>detected. Any idea why?

My guess would be that one of the host controllers is uhci (e.g., Intel,
VIA), the other ohci (just about everyone else) and that you only have
the drivers for one of them compiled into the kernel/loaded as modules.
Have a look at /proc/pci or lspci, and see what you have if you don't
already know. I think (?) I am right in saying that a uhci controller
will appear in I/O space, ohci in memory.

Tony.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IDE CD-RW installation help needed
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:11:03 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:25:59 -0800, Bernie Yoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been having trouble getting an IDE CD-RW drive to work on my system.
>I have a Philips CDRW800 on a Storm Linux (based on Debian) system.
>
>I added a /etc/modutils/cdrw file that looks like:
>
>options ide-cd ignore=hdc
>alias scd0 sr_mod
>pre-install sg modprode ide-scsi
>pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
>pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
>bernie@storm:/etc/modutils$
>
>I ran update-modules and verified that these entries were added to
>/etc/modules.conf.  I added the     ' append="hdc=ide-scsi" '
>line to the appropriate section of /etc/lilo.conf.  The CDRW drive is
>on the IDE secondary master (hard drive is primary master, CD-ROM is
>secondary slave).  I ran /sbin/lilo.
>
>When I check /proc/ide/drivers, all I see is:
>
>ide-disk version 1.08
>
>When I run cdrecord -scanbus, I get:
>
>Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
>cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
>cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Bernie Yoo
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've run into a similar problem. After poking around in the various
archives, I discovered that I needed to install either Tcl or Tck (at
least that's how I remember it thru the mists of time!) since cdrecord
uses it. You may want to check out the cdrecord website to check if
there are any other solutions.

jfg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: ttyS0 vs cua0???
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:30:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry) writes:

[...]

>Thanks, I'll try to get the new driver, my file only goes up to 0x205
>lines. :-) But it is nice to know that it's not my code.

Rereading the relevant lines (insert_sound_from_slapping_myself_here)
the cited text from the README.epca file won't help you with that, either.
This seems to be a peculiarity in between the digiboard driver and the
way the serial driver checks for the used device files. You'd perhaps
be better contacting the linux kernel mailing list on that topic.
Sorry for the confusion :-(

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: isdn via serial terminal (German Telekom)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:33:09 GMT

Oliver Kastner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello everybody,
>"Deutsche Telekom" sells isdn-analog terminal adapters with built-in
>isdn-card under the name 'eumex 504'. You may connect to it via an
>usb-port (I don't have one on my computer), or by the use of the serial
>line port (UART 16550). So I have to learn how to connect my linux-box
>to this external terminal.

[...]

Please check http://groups.google.com for "eumex 504" .
This is a device that needs a specific binary-only driver to
be made to work with Linux. That actual location for the driver
escapes me right now, but google will show you that, I'm sure.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Monte Milanuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networkprinter
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:02:05 -0700

Do you have the printer set up so you can print to it in Windows on the
dual-boot computer?  If not, that might be a good first step.  In order to
do that, you will have to 'share' the printer.  Go into Control Panel >
Printers and right click the printer and select 'Sharing'.  For the Linux
machine, that's all you'll need from the Win98 machine, I believe, but if
you want to print from WinME, you'll have to set up the drivers properly,
which for some can be ugly.

Anyway.  Now in SuSE, you will need to set up Samba networking, or at least
the smbclient portion.  I haven't used 7.0 recently so I can't remember if
it comes as one or more packages.  You should be able to set up the printer
in YaST as a remote smb(samba) printer, and select  the appropriate
driver/filter/whatever for it.

There's more to this, but I don't have a Linux box handy, and hopefully this
will get you off and running.  If you have your SuSE manual, check out the
section on printing in there.  It may help.

Monte

news:3a59cdaa$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmut Krafft)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.multimedia
Subject: Re: Cheap PCI sound card supported by Linux and OS/2?
Date: 21 Feb 2001 13:59:39 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:14:39, Klaus Staedtler-Przyborski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shane Baker schrieb:
> >
> > Gidday
> >
> > Subject line says it all.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> Other Cards than the SBLive are the Crystal 3.06 Driver based Cards:
> A-Open AW320 (very cheap and simple) and Terratec DMX X-Fire 1024
> (similar to SBLive)
>
> WinOS2 and FM-Midi supported, Flash is - at the moment - not working
> under OS/2 (but hopefully this will be solved by the Flash/2 Team real
> soon)

In my experience, MIDI doesn't work properly with the AW320, so if you
need that, keep your hands off. (Crystal driver v. 3.06)

Hartmut

--
  Remove all numbers from email address to reply.

------------------------------

From: Tim Van Holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading RPM!!
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:00:01 GMT

Hatem wrote:

> I have an old version of RPM version 3, and need to upgrade it to 4..!!
> the funny thing is that the new version(4) can not be extracted because it
> needs a newer version of RPM,
> it is like the chicken and the egg.!!
> can someone help!!
> thanks.
You could always get the tarball and compile it yourself...

--
Tim Van Holder - Falcon Software N.V.
This message was posted using plain text. I do not endorse any

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:16:10 +0100

Tim Van Holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hatem wrote:
>> I have an old version of RPM version 3, and need to upgrade it to 4..!!
>> the funny thing is that the new version(4) can not be extracted because it
>> needs a newer version of RPM,

It's hilarious is it not? This is about the fourth time rpm have done
that. Yes, this is old news. You will find the solution splattered all
over the internet, on the news, in the faqs, on yoru distros web pages
.. go take a look.

Of course, what you want to "upgrade" to is an experimental version of
rpm. So "don't", unless you know what you are doing. As you have
noticed, it has incompatibilities.

>> it is like the chicken and the egg.!!
>> can someone help!!
>> thanks.
> You could always get the tarball and compile it yourself...

Of course. Or get the intermediate version of rpm that can read both
formats.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Lee Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Problems with mdk7.2 / soundblaster VibRA
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:39:54 GMT

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem with my sound
device.  Everytime that i use HardDrake to configure my SoundBlaster 16
Vibra card it throws up an error reffering to sox not being able to open
/dev/dsp as the resource is busy.  i have had a look around and found that
my DMA channels are timming out.  Also /dev/sndstat reports that i don't
have any drivers for the card installed. :

  "OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
    Load type: Driver loaded as a module
    Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.17-21mdk #1 Thu Oct 5 13:16:08
    CEST 200$Config options: 0

   Installed drivers:

   Card config:

   Audio devices:
   0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16) (DUPLEX)

   Synth devices:

   Midi devices:

   Timers:
   0: System clock

I have read the Sound-HOWTO tried a few things these being

  -played a mp3 using mpg123 which worked but no sound came out
  -played a CD using cdp / cdplay which did produce sound so my external
    audio works

  -fuser -v /dev/dsp
  -cat A sound file > /dev/dsp   " cat KDE_Window_UnSticky.wav > /dev/dsp "

  -installed and run sndconfig
  -used DrakConf and HardDrak

  -found out that arts was using the resource and not giving it back so
    killed artsd with killall -HUP artsd

  -looked in /etc/modules.conf  :
       "alias sound-slot-0 sb
       options sound dmabuf=1
       options opl3 io=0x388
       alias midi0 awe_wave
       post-install midi0 /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
       options sound-slot-0 io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=1"

My boot msg reads as follows regarding sound :

  "PnP: Calling quirk for 01:00
  isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
  isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
  Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
  SB 4.16 detected OK (220)C"

and more interestingly :

  "PnP: Calling quirk for 01:00
  isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
  isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
  hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
  ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
  ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Play Audio MSF" packet command was:
  "47 00 00 00 02 00 48 36 4a 00 00 00 "V"

Is this just a case of getting the drivers, recompling my kernel installing
an rpm adding a few lines in some files or what ?  It seems that i have
only had problems since installing Mandrake7.2 as the card has worked fine
with mdk 7.0 and 7.1 in the past and this really does seem strange i really
have looked at everything or have I overlooked something ?

I run a 234Mhz PII, 64Mb RAM, 3HDD, 48xCD-ROM, 1FD, SoundBlaster Vibra16
PnP, USB Zip 100, urm and that's about it. oh yeah on Mandrake7.2 using
KDE2 Beta 1 from the CVS on XFree86 3 (i know that graphics can interfere
with sound).  Hope that's enough detail.

Any help would be appriciated
Thank you in advance for your time

Lee Jordan

------------------------------

From: "gabi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox G450 DH with RH 7.0 , X4.0.1 probleM
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:50:02 +0200

HI There
1. I have matrox g450 dh, installed , I have installed RH7.0.
2. I have downloaded the new driver from matrox site.
3.In mode 16bit 1280X1024 all working properly but,
  I cant put it into work in all other mode.
4. I have a Samsung SynMaster 900f 19" .
5. if anyone knows the soulotion please email it directly to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
thanx

------------------------------

From: Shangyou Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Run X on Laptop  Ashton Maximate 420 W/ Piii 850mhz,  14.1"tft
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:49:23 -0500

Run X on Laptop  Ashton Maximate 420 W/ Piii 850mhz,  14.1"tft?

Anyone tried this?  It says the video card is sis 630.
I tried many modes for X.  Mostly I got are about 1/4
(left-upper) corner of screen.  Anyhelp would be greatly
appreciated.  Please also reply to me via email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
just in case I miss the post on news group.

By the way,  I use netscape to read newsgroup.  Is there any
way I can search contents of all posts?  Or about searching
the subject line?

Scott

------------------------------

From: Tim Van Holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.2.18 + ide patch panics when trying to mount root fs
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:04:32 GMT

I'm running SuSE 7.0 Pro (kernel 2.2.16 with loadsa patches).
I want to upgrade to 2.2.18 (I'll also try 2.4.1, but as a test
environment only, for now).  Since I have an Asus A7V133
motherboard, I needed the ide patches to support the hard drive that
is connected to the Promise Utra100 controller. Kernel compiled fine.
Boots up fine, detects all 4 IDE devices but then panics, claiming
it can't mount the root filesystem because the device has unsupported
features.
I'm booting from a hard drive that's attached to the motherboard's
controller (which has a VIA 82CXXX chipset, for which support is
compiled into the kernel), so there should be no problem (in fact,
the SuSE kernel I use is the 'eide' version which also has the
support for Promise & VIA compiled in).
What's going on? Most likely I enabled some configuration option I
shouldn't have (or vice versa), but which one?

From: Brigitte Warnecke-Schaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq ProLiant 1600R Smart Array Suse7.1-Installation?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:00:16 +0100

Hello everybody!
I've a problem with an Compaq Proliant 1600R with Smart Array 3200 and
Suse Linux 7.1- Installation.
I've configured the Smart Array with Smart Start and select SCO UnixWare
as OS. Then I started SuSe 7.1 Installation and installed Kernel-Modules
first, and then the Rest. The installed Kernel is 2.4 SMP. I installed
LILO on /boot.
After finishing installation, I restarted the System, but it didn't came
up. It stopped booting after the message :
Partition check /dev/ida/c0d0:
Does anyone has an idea what the problem is?
Hope you can help me.

Best regards

Brigitte Warnecke-Schaer

------------------------------

From: "kuba p." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit SA6R RAID & RedHat -> do you think it would work????
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:01:05 +0100

I'am planning to buy an ABIT SA6R motherboard with ATA 100 RAID controller.
Do you think that it would work with RedHat 7.0?
I am planning to use hardware RAID1.

thanks,

Kuba

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter B. Steiger)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:17:53 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:03:37 GMT, Hatem sez:
>I have an old version of RPM version 3, and need to upgrade it to 4..!!
>the funny thing is that the new version(4) can not be extracted because it
>needs a newer version of RPM,

Be VERY careful about this - I nearly destroyed my existing partition
and ended up having to totally reinstall RH, going from 6.2 to 7.0
(which I now regret) in order to get the new rpm.  Today, three months
later, I still find that my rpm databases are wrong - a weird mixture
of old (no longer installed) files and new ones.

Think about why you need the new rpm, and whether it's worth the
effort.  If you're trying to install a newer package that requires the
new rpm, you may need to upgrade to RH 7 just to make sure that
the new rpm and all the dependencies are upgraded at once.  Of
course, when that happens you'll need to revise a lot of your
/etc/rc.d scripts, such as inetd (now xinetd) and so on... like I say,
upgrading rpm opens up a HUGE mess of problems.

Next time I have to go through this, I'm backing up my entire /etc
directory every way I can.  I just hope another upgrade isn't
necessary in my lifetime.  What do they think this is, Windows?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----
If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All advertisements will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter B. Steiger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.multimedia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:21:02 GMT

On 21 Feb 2001 13:59:39 GMT, Hartmut Krafft sez:
>In my experience, MIDI doesn't work properly with the AW320, so if you
>need that, keep your hands off. (Crystal driver v. 3.06)

What does work well with MIDI in Linux?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----

From: Karsten Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Feb 2001 17:45:34 +0100

Bernie Yoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been having trouble getting an IDE CD-RW drive to work on my system.
> I have a Philips CDRW800 on a Storm Linux (based on Debian) system.
>
> I added a /etc/modutils/cdrw file that looks like:
>
> options ide-cd ignore=hdc
> alias scd0 sr_mod
> pre-install sg modprode ide-scsi
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
> pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
> bernie@storm:/etc/modutils$
Try to remove the line
options ide-cd ignore=hdc

Karsten Jensen

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec boot
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:54:00 +0100

Tom Gafford wrote:

> I'm trying to set up an adaptec 2940u2w to boot directly into linux. The
> disk works fine when I do a lilo boot from a floppy.  I have the adaptec
> scsi select set to include the drive in the bios scan, and to boot the unit
> number of the drive, and the motherboard bios to try the adaptec before the
> ide drive (MB is Intel 440-BX 'Jabil'), and it sure looks like YaST (SuSE
> 6.3) is writing to the MBR of the scsi drive when I do a lilo config, but it
> sure don't boot!  Is this supposed to work?
Well, you have to convince lilo that your SCSI drive is really the first
BIOS disk by adding

disk =/dev/sda
bios = 0x80

to lilo.conf ( and running lilo again) .

--
Markus Kossmann