Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:34:13 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot off Promise Ultra66 controller?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks for the reply about booting the Promise controller.
>
> I set the BIOS to be boot off board chipsets first, but I still get
> the promise controller on /dev/hde, f, g and h!
>
>   Richard

well, that's where it's suppposed to be.
The first poster said:

hda -> MB Primary Master
hdb -> MB Primary Slave
hdc -> MB Secondary Master
hdd -> MB Secondary Slave
hde -> Promise Primary Master
hdf -> Promise Primary Slave
hdg -> Promise Secondary Master
hdh -> Promise Secondary Slave

hde-hdh are in fact where my ultra66 drives are and would be(if i had
4).

My MBR is on /dev/hde which is a Windows drive.
I boot off /dev/hdf which is my second ultra66 drive. I don't even have
any hard drives on my IDE interfaces; I just have a cdrom and a dvd on
those.

Here is my lilo.conf:
boot=/dev/hde
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga = normal    # force sane state
read-only
prompt
timeout=100
# End LILO global Section
#
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdf3
  label = linuxnew
image = /boot/vmlinuz24final
  root = /dev/hdf3
  label = linux24final

this is only part of it but it's what you need.
HTH
brandon

------------------------------

From: Michael Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.embedded,linux.redhat.devel
Subject: Re: IRQ Line Assign
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:39:53 +0100

Hi Ajit,

you wrote:
> I'm trying to set up the interrupt handler for this PCI to PCI bridde
> driver. (any reference for such a driver will be very useful).

You should not need any driver for a PCI-PCI bridge. Both the PCI-BIOS
and Linux do detect these bridges and look behind them - they are
transparent.

> When I try to call request_irq with SA_INTRRRUPT or NULL flag  the
> request_irq fails. I noticed from /proc/interrupts file that the requested
> intr is used by my network card.
>
> When I try to use SA_SHIRQ flag it works, but now I get too many calls fro
> my handler. Is there a way I can distinguish between intr from my card or
> not.

It is quite normal for PCI devices to share interrupts. It is of need
due to the limitation to 4 interrupt lines and due to the PCI 2.1
standard.

The driver for a PCI device does have to implement a fast method of
detecting if the device it does manage triggered the interrupt. This is
usally done by reading some status byte and testing it against a bit
mask. If a device does not implement a suitable status byte I would
consider it broken!

> I'm also looking for other options. How can I use a different IRQ line. Is
> it possible? (if yes how). FYI, I'm using the IRQ line available in the
> pci_dev struct.

I doubt you can simple use an other interrupt since the PCI BIOS did
assign the interrupt to the device. If I understood correctly
reassigning resources will need you to do it for all PCI devices not
just one. And even with reassigning your are limited to the 4 IRQ lines
physically available on the PCI bus and there cabling beetween the PCI
slots.

Malware

Fup2 comp.os.linux.development.system

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Feb 2001 22:31:08 +0800

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Of course the workers would have to access the system to enter data,
> > etc, so the user interfaces can't be too complicated (GUI?).
>
> Your workers would know how to use a web browser, so why not make the
> inventory system accessible through any web browser? The MySQL database
> and PHP scripting language would be a good combination for this task.

Never worked in afactory have you? How long will the mouse keep working
after it has been grabbed by a paint/glue/oil... covered hand?

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (reader of news)
Subject: what kind of motherborad is this?
Date: 25 Feb 2001 10:23:46 -0500

Hi

My server is hosted somewhere I
cannot reach physically and I
am remotely administering it.  So far
I have been very lucky in brewing my own
kernel, installing and rebooting
it without any trouble.. (knock
on wood)

Anyway I like to juice as much as
possible out of my server... I
have now 2.4.2 on the server and
it has an quantum ide drive. /sbin/hdparm
gives me
        100 MB/s cache transfer
        10  MB/s disk transfer
The cpu is 750 duron.  I looked up
on quantum web site and I see that
the drive is (relevant??) ata/100 7200 rpm

I have celeron 566 at home maxtor drive
7200rpm from which I get about
        80 MB/s cache transfer
        30 MB/s disk transfer
So I was wondering whether I can
juice more out of my server disk transfer
speed.

At the bottom I have relevant snippets of
dmesg and wondering whether if I
had chosen some special ide driver instead
of the current generic ide driver I might get
better numbers..  It says something about
VIA and in kernel compiling there is
an item on VIA something.  Can you tell
what special chipset I should try?

Thanks

=====================
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb260,
+lastbus=1
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: PCI: Using configuration type 1
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: PCI: Bus master read caching disabled
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:07.0
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: Based upon Swansea............
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: Starting kswapd v1.8
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: block: queued sectors max/low 255576kB/124504kB, 768
+slots per queue
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes;
+override with idebus=xx
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: VP_IDE: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel:     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings:
+hda:DMA, hdb:pio
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel:     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings:
+hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5, ATA DISK drive
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Feb 25 09:19:08 bin kernel: hda: 40132503 sectors (20548 MB) w/1902KiB Cache
===================================

Kernel
=========
*
* IDE chipset support/bugfixes
*
  CMD640 chipset bugfix/support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640) [N/y/?]
  RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000) [N/y/?]
  Generic PCI IDE chipset support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI) [Y/n/?]
    Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support (CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ) [Y/n/?]
    Generic PCI bus-master DMA support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI) [Y/n/?]
    Boot off-board chipsets first support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD) [N/y/?]
.
.
.
.
    Tekram TRM290 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL.........
    VIA82CXXX chipset support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX) [N/y/?]

------------------------------

From: "Michael Horwitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with sound on Gigabyte GA-7ZX Motherboard
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:30:14 +0200

Hi,

I have installed a Redhat 7.0 system on a 1 GHz Athlon based system, and am
having problems getting the sound to work under Linux (it works fine under
Windows). The motherboard has a builtin Creative CT5880 sound chip, which is
meant to work as a Soundblaster 128 PCI card. Both the bios and lspci pick
up the card just fine.

In configuring the card I have tried both the built-in and the Alsa sound
drivers. The builtin es1371 driver loads without problem (it reports no
errors) but whenever I try to play a sound file to either through cat *.au >
/dev/audio or using the player that comes with socks, everything simply
locks up.

I also tried sndconfig which detects the card as an 'Ensoniq|5880' but
claims it is not supported. I have seen other reports of this problem where

Both the ens1371 and ens1370 Alsa drivers complain that the sound device
could not be found or is busy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael Horwitz.

------------------------------

From: "John Christian Engelsne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict????
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:01:31 +0100

Thanks for all the answers. I moved the card and it was ok.
I'm not very familiar with pathcing the kernel, so I didn't make to much out
of the Serial driver and how to implement it.
Mvh

John Christian Engelsen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "g.montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Drive, Reluctant BIOS, how to work around?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:17:29 GMT

"g.montgomery" wrote:

> Okay, I've been down this road once, and as I
> recall, I conquered the monster, but cannot
> locate the documentation as to how.  Perhaps
> someone on this list has the answer...
>
> I did an install from scratch on a 40 GB maxtor
> with a 1 Gig / partition, a couple 128 Meg
> swap partitions, a 4 Gig /usr partition, and the
> rest in one large /home partition.
>
> The thing will only boot from a floppy, and then
> only if I tell the bios in the standard cmos setup
> that there the Primary Master is of type None.
> If I leave the Primary Master set to auto, the
> BIOS hangs when looking for the Primary Master
> drive.  I remember this situation as being one
> where I am running into a problem with a drive
> that is over 30 Gig or something like that.  I
> also remember something about a jumper on
> the drive which can be set to limit the apparent
> size of the drive to a small number (maybe it
> was around 2 Gigs) to the BIOS.  I remember
> going round and round with this, trying the
> jumper, trying various BIOS settings, etc.  But
> I can't remember the path through the maze.
> It could be that I never was able to get this
> particular machine's BIOS to work, and simply
> moved the over 30 Gig drives onto other
> machines out of frustration.   I am determined
> to find out what is causing this, and get a
> set of settings which work, or replace the BIOS
> or the whole motherboard.
>
> Coes anyone have a ready explanation of a way
> through this?  My machine is as follows:
> Award BIOS:  ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A5KKJ1E)
> Processor K6/2 400 MHz
> RAM: 128 MB
> Hard Drive: Maxtor Model 34098H4,  Cylinders:
> 16383, Heads: 16, Sectors: 63,  40.9 GB   It has
> a "4096 Cylinder Limit" jumper location, currently
> not set.
>
> To summarize, my HD isn't recognized by my BIOS,
> but when booted from floppy, the HD is recognized
> by Linux EIDE drivers and works flawlessly.  What
> setup permits me to boot from the HD?
>
> TIA,
>
> Gene

AN UPDATE:

I discovered that the 4096 cylinder jumper for maxtor
drives ONLY WORKS with the so-called MAX-BLAST
software, which I found earlier is N.G. with my Linux.
and this machine.  It might be okay with Windows on
this machine, but not with Linux installed.
I also found that my BIOS is the one recommended
by Jetway for the motherboard, which is the J-542B
model by Jetway, a Taiwan motherboard mfr.  The
BIOS is dated in mid-1999, which is supposedly able
to handle drives with more than 4096 cylinders.

Bottom line, Maxtor washes their hands if you
arent a Windoze user, Award (Now Phoenix)
passes the buck to Jetway,  and Jetway says it
should work.

So, unless someone has any ideas to the contrary,
I guess I will continue with the BIOS set to "none"
rather than "auto" for the two large (> 30 GB) drives
in this machine, relying on Linux to handle them
after a floppy boot.  Then, the next step is to throw
away the motherboard as soon as I can get to a
computer swap meet.  Looks like I need to stick
to Intel MBs, or at least away from the off-brands
like Jetway.

TIA,
Gene

------------------------------

From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:29:31 -0600

Use an industrial mouse - they last a little bit longer <G>.

--
Brett I. Holcomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo -or- installing to a Mylex controller
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:12:22 GMT

Steve Wolfe wrote:

>   We're moving a few of our machines over to Mylex AcceleRAID 170's, and
> I've run into a few very annoying problems... first, the RedHat 6.2
> installation won't load the driver for the RAID card, and secondly, I can't
> get LILO to get things working with the RAID controller.
>
>    As far as installation, if I start the RedHat installation, it won't
> install the DAC960 driver.  If I switch to another terminal and try to
> insmod it, I get "device busy".  But, the DAC960 driver with the regular
> kernel runs the array just fine.  How can I get RedHat 6.2 to install to the
> array?
>
>    Or.... right now, the machines are still booting from a single drive.
> Try as I might, it seems like no amount of fiddling with "boot=", "disk=",
> and "bios=" will get LILO to put the right boot stuff on the array.  One
> combination got it to boot far enough to say "I have no root and I want to
> scream....", and THEN a few seconds later, the DAC960 driver found the
> logical drive.
>
>   Arg.  What can I do better?
>
> steve

First, I haven't had any experience with the 170, but I am running a 250,
which should be similar, as the primary controller under RH6.2 and booting
off the RAID 5 logical drive.  Next, the driver in question is not a SCSI
driver, but a BLOCK driver; there is a difference.  Also, if you're booting
off a logical RAID drive, you must set up the logical drive before you try
to install and OS.

I don't remember exactly what I did  to get it to recognize the driver, but
I seem to remember that I had to use the 'custom' install and tell the install
that the primary controller was the a Mylex RAID controller.  If you haven't
used the 'custom' install, try that otherwise ???.  I know these controllers
are used quite a bit as they're very fast atleast partially due to the block
device driver, so you might try searching groups.google.com (old Deja).

As far as booting is concerned, I did run into a problem there.  The install
did not set Lilo up correctly; although this could have been due to the fact
that there was a secondary dual channel controller built into the motherboard
which had my swap devices and other stuff on it.  The DAC960 driver does not
use the std. /dev devices.  It uses /dev/rd/c?d?p? where c? is the DAC960
controller, d? is the logical device (drive) and p? is the partition.  So for
my system which has 1 Mylex controller = c0, 1 logical device = d0 and two
partitions = p1 & p2, the Lilo setup looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
        label=l242
        append="console=ttyS0,9600"
        read-only
        root=/dev/rd/c0d0p2

Because the logical drive is large, the 1st partition is 16M mounted on /boot
to get around the 1024 cyl boot problem and the 2nd partition is for everything
else (yes I know this isn't good general practice, but for what the machine is
used for, it's just fine!).  Hope that this helps.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC (formerly Mynd)              Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Forwarding sound to X terminal??
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:59:11 -0500

The new NCD thin clients have sound, so it must be possible.  I think the
way the thin clients work is that there is a sound daemon on the  server
that sends sound to the thin clients.  Aside from this, I don't know how
to do it, but it is possible. In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Smith

------------------------------

From: Armond Perretta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDRW mounting
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:08:19 -0500

joseph Philip wrote:

> ... To do cd burning , the cdrecord software talks to it as if
> it is a scsi device. For this to  work, you need the scsi emulation to
> be available in the kernel, and the cd to be accessed through the
> ide-scsi module. Further, the ide-cdrom module should be told to ignore
> the cdrw .
> There is a cdwriting howto that explains all these things, in addition to
> using a lone ide cdrw on a computer.

Is this also the case with a USB CD writer (assuming the required modules
are loaded and configured)?  I.e., must I eliminate any ide link and run
_both_ cd-roms (an ide reader and a USB writer) using scsi emulation?

I haven't been able to get that Iomega USB writer up and going, although
the references I've seen insist it's supported..

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

------------------------------

From: Chris Gilbreth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: 1280x1024 resolution with Geforce2 MX card
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:39:16 GMT

>    Has anybody been able to set 1280x1024 @ >70Hz vertical
> refresh rate with their Geforce2 MX graphics card on Linux? If
> so, I would be grateful for some help.
>
> I have managed 1024x768 @85Hz and also 1280x1024 but at a
> refresh rate of only 60Hz (which is quite hard on the eyes).
>
> I am running Redhat 7.0 with Xfree86 V4.0.2 with the Nvidia
> drivers
>
>    NVIDIA_Kernel-0.95
>    NVIDIA_GLX-0.95
>
> Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce2 MX - 32MB
>
> Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamondplus 73 (Diamondtron NF)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> krishan
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am running 1280x1024 @ 85Hz with a configuration similar to yours; your
problem is most likely the limitations of your monitor.  You need to
check the "Monitor" section of your XF86Config file and make sure the
horizontal and vertical scan rates comply with the specifications of your
monitor, which should be available in the manual for your monitor or
possibly on the manufacturer's website.  I've included the appropriate
section from my XFF86Config file; note that you should NOT use these
exact settings, but should use the ones available from the manufacturer
of your monitor.

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Generic Monitor"
 HorizSync 30-96
 VertRefresh 50-160
 Option  "DPMS"
EndSection

------------------------------

From: "Kelvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can not boot linux
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:13:41 +0800

Hi all
I used Linux 6.1 on HP NetServer.
When my computer not enough harddisk space, it fail to boot up, so I
have to reinstall Linux 6.1 again, after the installation complete, when I
reboot, a message say:

BIOS  Installed Successfully!
Error code(s) : 1313
Press F1 to boot from the Utility Partition
OR
Insert the HP Netserver Navigator CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and
press the Reset button on the front of the server.
Press F1 to continue

I lost the Netserver Navigator CD-ROM , so I press F1
but when it come to LILO-BOOT, instead, I get:

L 02 02 02 02 02 02
02 02 02 02 02 02 02.............(02 come out without ending)

my computer use two harddisk, and if I install Window98, it has no
problem.

I have did the    fdisk /MBR
before installation.

Thanks in advance for any help or hints.
Kevin