Linux-Hardware Digest #422, Volume #14            Thu, 1 Mar 01 16:13:06 EST

Contents:
  ASUS A7V133 (optimator)
  Help! hde lilo bios=0x80 and hang at "LI" (Luigi Cavallo)
  realtek suxx (Niko Schwarz)
  Re: PCTV Rave, Savage based chips and crashes (Jim Newton)
  Freecom CD-RW/DVD COMBO  internal IDE ("Andrew Ellington")
  Re: MPC8210, MVME2100 Linux Port
  Re: Harddisk performance ("charles")
  Re: Harddisk performance (Plato)
  Re: ASUS A7V133 ("charles")
  Re: realtek suxx (Jan Francsi)
  Re: CDROM on ide1 not seen ("charles")
  How do I setup W98 on my Linux system? (Cubic Meter)
  External modem on ThinkPad (John Dixon)
  Re: ASUS A7V133 (optimator)
  Re: Problems with NetGear FA311 & Mandrake 7.2 ("Simon Turvey")
  Booting problems with SCSI Seagate Medalist ("Ilari Korhonen")
  Sound card blues: Resource ALWAYS busy (Christian Sandvig)
  Re: How do I setup W98 on my Linux system? (Gregory Davis)
  Re: Internal modem (Benjamin Gonay)
  Modules: can't find something.o (Dan Smith)
  Re: Harddisk performance ("Barry")
  Re: Harddisk performance ("Walter Clayton")

From: optimator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS A7V133
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:18:06 GMT

OK, Here is the deal....

System Configuration:
    Motherboard - ASUS A7V133 (Bios 1002a.1)
    RAM         - 512MB PC133
    HardDrive   - Maxtor 30G ATA100

Problem:
I have tried installing both Redhat 7.0 and SuSe 7.1(Professional). They
both
seem to stall out during the install.

I have downloaded the "eide" boot image from SuSe but it doesn't seem
to help.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

optimator

------------------------------

From: Luigi Cavallo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help! hde lilo bios=0x80 and hang at "LI"
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:24:34 +0100

Hi,
I have a MS 694D MB with 2 ATA100 HDs on ide2 and ide3.
I have been able to install RH 7.0 typing linx ide2=0xac00,oxb002 at
lilo pompt, but I am not able to boot from the HD.

As suggested, I tried to include the magic key bios=0x80 into lilo.conf,
but it doesn't work. It still hangs at "LI".
Below is my lilo.conf, and following is the out of lilo -v

At the moment, I boot from the booting floppy I saved at install

I don't think I can switch off ide0 and ide1 with jumpers, because it
seems that there are not such jumpers on the MB. I tried to switch off
ide0 and ide1 channels from
the SETUP utilities, and in fact the CDROM is not detected anymore.
However, it doesn't boot from HD, and if I boot from the floppy, the HD
is still detected as ide2 and /dev/hde.

Would be a good solution to put in a cheap and old IDE HD on ide0, just
to boot the box ? In case, should I just put /boot on this HD ?

Any suggestions ?
TIA
luigi

My lilo.conf:

disk=/dev/hde
bios=0x80
boot=/dev/hde1
vga=0
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
   label=linux
   read-only
   root=/dev/hde1
   append="ide2=0xac00, 0xb002"

Output of lilo -v

LILO version 21.4-4, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from /dev/hde1
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
Added linux *
/boot/boot.2101 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.

------------------------------

From: Niko Schwarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: realtek suxx
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:46:02 +0100

Hi folks,

I know this isn't specific what I write, but this refers to my knowledge
about kernel modules and my permanent inability to learn your weird
language -- so please: forgive me.

I'm actually having some trouble about those Realtek cards. I wanted to use
German DSL over here, and this requires a working /dev/eth0 file. well, I
got a realtek card (rtl8139) and wanted to make it work, and so I asked
Yast2 on SuSE 7.1 please to configure it. It said yes, but as computers
always lie, it cheated on me. During boot-time it says it cannot load the
module, and I got no idea how to change that. I recompiled the kernel,
installed the modules once again, tried Yast one, I even gave some water on
the mainboard -- nothing worked.  ;-)
now, if you know any other way to punish that stupid machine for not making
that card run: please, tell me!

tia,

nick

--
The Rest Is Silence

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Newton)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Subject: Re: PCTV Rave, Savage based chips and crashes
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:46:16 +0000

On 19 Feb 2001 23:00:32 GMT, Aki Zeta 5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>  Three days ago, I bought a Pinnacle PCTV Rave, European version (with a
>PAL/Secam Philips tuner), but it seems to be quite uncompatible with my
>graphics board, a Diamond Stealth III: both PCTV Vision (Windows 98) and
>xawtv (GNU/Linux) quickly crash.
>
>  First, I thought overlay was the source of my problem: neither upgrading
>my graphics drivers nor (de)optimizing my BIOS parameters changed
>anything, but turning PCTV Vision's 'force primary' on slightly improved
>the situation: I could do two or three manipulations (such as moving or
>resizing the window, switching between PAL and Secam, or adjusting
>contrast) before it crashed.  But it is still unusable.
>
>  That's why I turned to Linux's VESA frame buffer system, known to work
>very well with S3s.  I got no crash, and pretty impressive results, but
>the picture quality is not so good: looks like bad SVHS, with thin
>horizontal lines blurring the video.  My chosen resolution is the TV one
>(768x576-75) with 64k colors.
>
>  Here are my questions:
>
>  - Does anyone know how to avoid software crashes?  Is this problem
>    linked with my graphics board?  (My mainboard is an Abit KT7A.)
>
>  - Is there a way to improve quality with Linux's frame buffer?  Are
>    there some relevant kernel/module parameters to optimize? (The PCTV is
>    plugged to a PAL/Secam/NTSC VCR through antenna and S-Video.  I know
>    that I don't need both.)
>
>  Thanks in advance for your answers, and your tolerance towards
>  crossposting and my bad English.
>
>--
>Aki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Out of interest did any of you guys get the sound working on the
Pinnacle PCTV card. I have this (bt878) card and have foudn no way of
getting sound, though I have pictures. If I turn up the volume to max
there is a very faint sound suggesting it is stuck in a muted state.

Jim

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Ellington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Freecom CD-RW/DVD COMBO  internal IDE
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:54:30 -0000

Anyone know any reason why this drive wouldn't work with linux?

Haven't bought it yet and can't think of a reason why it wouldn't go but
since it's relatively new /slightly unusual drive just thought I'd ask.

AJ

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: MPC8210, MVME2100 Linux Port
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:09:14 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wolfgang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

+ It must be "MPC8240, MVME2100 Linux Port"

check or subscribe to linuxppc-embedded at http://lists.linuxppc.org/

--
Bicycle Crash Test Dummy For Hire

From: "charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Subject: Re: Harddisk performance
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:21:11 -0600

=======_NextPart_000_0033_01C0A24A.1A46C8A0

The channel will work at the lowest common=20
denominator, ATA33.

charles....
  I want to install two harddisks in one IDE which supports ATA100.
  If one of the harddisk is ATA100 and the other is ATA33,
  will the former one work slower than that it should be due
  to the latter one?

=======_NextPart_000_0033_01C0A24A.1A46C8A0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dbig5">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">The channel will work at the lowest =
common=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">denominator, ATA33.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">charles....</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">I&nbsp;want to install two harddisks =
in one IDE=20
  which supports ATA100.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">If one of the harddisk is ATA100 and =
the other=20
  is ATA33,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">will the former one work slower than =
that it=20
  should be due</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">to the latter=20
one?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: Plato <|@|.|>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:28:10 -0500

http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm

------------------------------

From: "charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASUS A7V133
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:26:13 -0600

> System Configuration:
>     Motherboard - ASUS A7V133 (Bios 1002a.1)
>     RAM         - 512MB PC133
>     HardDrive   - Maxtor 30G ATA100
>
> Problem:
> I have tried installing both Redhat 7.0 and
> SuSe 7.1(Professional). They both
> seem to stall out during the install.
>
> I have downloaded the "eide" boot image
> from SuSe but it doesn't seem to help.

Are you sure the hardware is OK?  Can you
install another OS (DOS, WIN, etc...) just
for test purposes?  What does "stall out"
mean?  Is the hardware brand new? You
need to give more specific details.

charles....

------------------------------

From: Jan Francsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: realtek suxx
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:18:28 +0100

Hello!

Maybe you want to try

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/mjb_rtl8139_24.html

It says, that the name of the module has changed.

For kernel 2.4, you must set a new link:

cd /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB/kernel/drivers/net
                     ln 8139too.o rtl8139.o
                     depmod -a

Restart the network.

CU, Jan

------------------------------

From: "charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM on ide1 not seen
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:30:55 -0600

Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Assuming your cd is installed correctly, do you have support built
> > in to your kernel?
>
> I have ATAPI CDROM support, yes. What should I do to dignose that the
> cd is installed correctly?

If the IDE cable and the cdrom function correctly in
another system, then your secondary IDE channel
controller on the motherboard is blown.

charles....

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I setup W98 on my Linux system?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:43:38 -0500

I have Mandrake 7.2 installed on a 6.4 gig HD. How do I go about installing
W98 also? I'm kinda new to Linux. Thanks.

m^3

------------------------------

From: John Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: External modem on ThinkPad
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:48:35 -0800

I have a TP A20m with an internal Lucent winmodem.  It works very well
in data mode with the *very* snazzy linmodem driver.   For some reason,
however, it does not work in fax mode, giving a "no response/command
from remote" signal.  An old USRobotic pc card modem in this machine
does fax stuff fairly well.

So...I had an Aopen M56-EX/2 external hardware modem unused, so decided
to hook it up to the TP for home/office use.

For some reason the ThinkPad doesn't recognize it...indeed, it doesn't
seem to be scanning the serial ports at boot - as does my Desktop with
the exact same Mandrake 7.2 distro running the 2.4.2 kernel.  Is there
something special that needs to be done to get a ThinkPad to recognize
its serial port?  BTW, this external modem is flawlessly detected by
Win98 on this machine, and works perfectly.

How can I get Linux to see my serial port/ external modem?  I'm sure
that I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

Thanks for any help!

John Dixon in Vancouver

------------------------------

From: optimator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:53:26 GMT

charles wrote:

> > System Configuration:
> >     Motherboard - ASUS A7V133 (Bios 1002a.1)
> >     RAM         - 512MB PC133
> >     HardDrive   - Maxtor 30G ATA100
> >
> > Problem:
> > I have tried installing both Redhat 7.0 and
> > SuSe 7.1(Professional). They both
> > seem to stall out during the install.
> >
> > I have downloaded the "eide" boot image
> > from SuSe but it doesn't seem to help.
>
> Are you sure the hardware is OK?  Can you
> install another OS (DOS, WIN, etc...) just
> for test purposes?  What does "stall out"
> mean?  Is the hardware brand new? You
> need to give more specific details.
>
> charles....

1. The hardware is fine. I installed Win98 last night and it
worked fine.

2. "Stall out" means that during the install the system
stops responding. It seems to happen at different times, but
the seems to be a high occurence of the "stall out" during
format of partitions.

3. The hardware is brand new. It was purchased last week.

Thanks in advance,

mike

------------------------------

From: "Simon Turvey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with NetGear FA311 & Mandrake 7.2
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:59:35 -0000

Try insmod fa311 (no extension).

That could well be your problem - it's a common gotcha (well, it got me).

news:XTrn6.227062$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ilari Korhonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting problems with SCSI Seagate Medalist
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:36:18 GMT

Hi There!

I have had some serious trouble with my hard disk (Seagate Medalist Pro
ST34520N) on my PowerMacintosh computer running MacOS and LinuxPPC.
Sometimes the computer wouldnīt boot at all! It just flashes the icon of the
missing system disk on the screen. When booting the computer on a system
CD-ROM disc and scanning the SCSI bus with e.g SCSI Probe, the disk isnīt
there at all. Next time i try to boot the computer it boots all right, no
errors whatsoever. When installing MacOS on the disk last spring the disk
went totally nuts. It wouldnīt boot at all. The computer totally freezed on
the booting process (before the operating system had started). The disk had
a warranty repair (low-level format, firmware update) at the importer and it
worked fine, until now. It did the same thing again (sometimes it wouldnīt
boot / not found on the SCSI bus). Now i have sent the disk back to the
importer and they replaced it, suspecting a hardware error. I was reading
the LinuxPPC Faq-o-matic and found a message that says, that Linux may
accidentally mess the Apple HD driver up and this would cause the computer
to freeze at bootup. Could this be the problem ?
What about the random booting errors? Could it be Linux too?

Any help at all appreciated!!!
Please answer by email :
    Ilari Korhonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Christian Sandvig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound card blues: Resource ALWAYS busy
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:53:11 -0800

Please, take pity on a novice that doesn't know where to turn!

I have acquired a box from someone else and I don't know much about it.
I am trying to get a mysterious isa soundcard to work under rh 6.2 with
the 2.2.14 kernel.  What I did:

(1) I first tried sndconfig which failed horribly.  It autodetects the
card as "AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE" but then can't find any settings it
likes.  So I then (2) learned to use isapnptools, and managed to find some
settings that don't conflict with anything I see in the appropriate /proc
places.  So isapnp is happy -- but when I try to (3) load the sgalaxy
module (this is the module chosen by sndconfig) with this in conf.modules:

 alias sound-slot-0 sgalaxy
 options sound dmabuf=1
 alias midi opl3
 options opl3 io=0x388
 options sgalaxy io=0x530 irq=7 dma=1 dma2=0 sgbase=x260

...I always get "init_module: Device or resource busy" from sgalaxy.o.
(4) I messed around with the irq, dma, and io a LOT, but I found that it
doesn't seem to matter *what* options I send to sgalaxy, it always says
this.  If isapnp is happy with these settings and I can't see any
conflicts, shouldn't they work?  Aarrrrghh.

I am just too new at this to know what to do next, and I've run out of man
pages to read.  Can anyone give me some ideas on what to try?

Sign me,
Silent Christian

=======================================
Christian Sandvig
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stanford.edu/people/christian.sandvig

------------------------------

From: Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I setup W98 on my Linux system?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:00:39 -0500

Cubic Meter wrote:

> I have Mandrake 7.2 installed on a 6.4 gig HD. How do I go about
> installing W98 also? I'm kinda new to Linux. Thanks.
>
> m^3

You need to first install windows, resize its partition using a program
like FIPS or Partition Magic, then install mandrake alongside windows.
Windows doesnt allow you to install as a dual boot (why would you want
anything else?).

Greg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 21:10:45 +0100
From: Benjamin Gonay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal modem

I'm using  a Multi_Tech MT5634ZPX-PCI,  working as a beast...  :-)

www.multitech.com

Benjamin.

------------------------------

From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modules: can't find something.o
Date: 01 Mar 2001 12:52:09 -0500

Whenever I install new modules, I try to do a modprobe to insert it, but it says it
can't find the module.

If I restart, then it works.  I've tried running depmod -a, but it doesn't make a
difference... What is the deal?

Thanks!

--Dan

------------------------------

From: "Barry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:19:03 -0000

They will both run at the slower speed, please don't post in HTML
"Jerry Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:97lnos$ljp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I want to install two harddisks in one IDE which supports ATA100. If one of
the harddisk is ATA100 and the other is ATA33, will the former one work
slower than that it should be due to the latter one?

--
http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124
(In Chinese Big 5)

http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm
(In English)

------------------------------

From: "Walter Clayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:50:29 -0500
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup

Nope.
EIDE clocks the devices independently. The UDMA-5 device will run at maximum
speed. The UDMA-2 device will run at maximum speed.
What does happen is only one IDE device at a time attached to a given
channel can be transferring data. The worst thing that happens is the UDMA-5
device has to wait for the UDMA-2 device to clear the channel. If there is
little or no IO activity on the UDMA-2 device, aggregate throughput on the
UDMA-5 device will be unaffected. If there is heavy IO interleave, then the
UDMA-5 device will have longer wait periods, but again, once it has the
channel, it will transfer full speed.

--
Walter Clayton Microsoft MVP (MPS-D)
http://members.home.com/dts-l