From: "frecell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The best site of Linux. In this site there are all of Linux.
www.frecell.6go.net
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:11:32 +0100

The best site of Linux. In this site there are all of Linux.
www.frecell.6go.net

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linux, Laptop & Wireless Network
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:10:19 GMT

Not a dumb question at all...Actually you will find the phone interfere with
the card more often then not...

I used to work for Wave Wireless Networking DBA of Speedcom Wireless...We
dealt with these issues all the time. Customers would buy the phone and then
call us asking why there network went down when they used the phones. Same
deal with the 900Mhz Phones and cards if you have either of those too. Try
and get a 900 MHz phone, cause they still make them, but 900MHz LAN cards
are no longer available.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Verizon news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: FA: Alphaserver 8400 -going once - going twice
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:40:43 GMT

Want to move !
No Reserve -
Alphaserver 8400  - just add memory !!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1218613513

------------------------------

From: "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Temperature probing?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:53:27 -0000

"B N" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi!
>
> I've got an MSI A7T motherboard with an Athlon 950 processor. I'm
> using SuSE 7.0 (I will probably upgrade to 7.1 soon.) Anyhow I'd like
> to find some software that gives me the temperature readings etc, like
> the readings which I can access in the Bios pane, under health.
> Does anyone know which software I can use to do the same while logged
> into Linux?
>
> Regards
>
> Björn

Theres a package called sensors in SuSe 7.0 for just that, have not tried it
though.

Cheers

Dave

------------------------------

From: Ronald Bruck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:02:00 -0800

In article <97p14p$rrj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Stanton"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:"B N" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Hi!
:>
:
:Theres a package called sensors in SuSe 7.0 for just that, have not tried
:it
:though.

While we're on the subject, there's a thermocouple which is supposed to
fit on MSI boards (jumper JT1, I think it is) which is supposed to
measure and report the "system" temperature.  I've never seen an MSI
motherboard which actually HAD this, however, nor have I been able to
find it on the net.  Thus my system always runs at a cool 32 degrees F
(0 C)  :-)    [Of course, this is the default when nothing is connected]

Does anybody have any idea where one can actually GET this beast?
lmsensors will report on it, if I could only get one...

--Ron Bruck

--
Due to University fiscal constraints, .sigs may not be exceed one
line.

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difference between IDE and ATAPI
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:01:21 -0700

Tom Walsh wrote:

> Vladimir Florinski wrote:
> >
> > Can someone explain what's the difference between the two protocols? I know
> > that, for example, ATAPI supports some extra ioctls (close the tray, eject,
> > etc.) However, there are IDE devices that need these two (such as ORB drives),
> > but the calls are not provided by the kernel. So, what would it take to make
> > 'eject' work on IDE devices (and magicdev have them mounted automatically)?
> > --
> >
> > Vladimir
>
> IMHO, the IDE drives cannot be commanded to eject the tray...  They have
> no command in their command set to allow this.

Well, the ORB can be ejected via software, at least this is what the manual
claims. It might require a propriatary call, of course. Still, how difficult it
would be to add this to ide-disk, which is only 1000 lines of code? I would
think easy as pie (for a kernel developer, naturally).
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Doug Toppin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sddr-31 usb-storage flash reader/writer capacity?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:25:11 -0500

We've been using the SanDisk SDDR-31 USB flash writer
and 32mb flash modules with no trouble for a long time now.
We recently moved to 128mb flash modules and now we're
having trouble with hangs/timeouts when trying to write
to it.
Anyone been using 128mb flash modules or larger
with the usb-storage driver?
If so (and it's working) did you have to tweak
anything in usb/storage/?
Doug

------------------------------

From: "Dheera Venkatraman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Subject: Re: Harddisk performance
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:32:16 -0500

Is there anything really wrong with HTML posts? I always thought most
newsreaders supported it...

Dheera Venkatraman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:sStn6.295954$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Aaron Lees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KVM;RECOMMENDATIONS ANYBODY?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:41:30 -0800

Hi.  I'have the following configuration:

1. Compaq P110 monitor running at 1152X864 resolution and 85X97 KHz.
2. PS-2 mouse.
3. PS-2 keyboard.

I would llike to know if anybody has any recommendations/suggestions on
selecting a 4 port KVM in order to support a 4 consoled Beowulf cluster
from one screen/keyboard/mouse.

Thanks in advance ... Lief

------------------------------

From: "RMS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:45:35 GMT

It's for the benefit of many of the European and British users. Alot of them
have to pay for Internet access by the minute. Due to the size, a single HTML
post can take up to 10 times longer to DL. DDIt isn't much, but multiply it by
300 messages and you can see thier concern.

Microshaft newsgroups use HTML posts exclusively.

--
bye, Rick
<--------------------------------------------------------->
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.embedded,linux.redhat.devel,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: IRQ Line Assign
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:56:19 +0100

Hi Ajit,

you wrote:
> the device I'm working on is intel 21554 (not 21555). Since you are the only
> expert in this matter I know, please share your expertise on the following
> issues.

Nice, that you think I am an expert but I am only someone able to
read/write C and Assembler and to read some specs.

> 1. I'm kinda confuse between CSR (configuration space register) and
> configuration register. My guess is that config. register are based upon the
> PCI spec and CSR is for the device spec.

They use "configuration space registers" and "configuration registers"
to describe the registers you can access within the PCI configuration
space, e.g. using the pci_read_config_* functions.

CSR they use a abbrevation for "control and status registers". Those are
these described in capture 8 of the manual and accessable by I/O or
memory.

> 2. There are 3 base address values in the config register. You can check in
> the HW ref. man (pg 20-5). I was first trying to access CSR from the "Prim
> CSR and Mem 0 Bar add" value. Then I followed your advise for using IO
> registers instead ioremap. So I used the Prim CSR IO Bar add values for
> accessing the CSRs. It works fine (Thanks - YES I'm getting intrrupt, but no
> 0xffff ). My confusion is why the ioremap did'nt work for the "Prim CSR and
> Mem 0 Bar add val".

Did you use the read[bwl] macros to access the memory? You should - they
include an address conversion!

> 3. Now my questions is that am I on the right track for accessing the memory
> by using the 3rd add val in the config. registers (Downstream Mem 1 BAR).
> And I still can't seem to access this mem space. (all address in the range
> give me 0xff - even after I write and read right back)  In this case I've to
> still use ioremap function.

This memory range is to access memory behind the brigde. It however does
need to be setted up. From the spec I "read" that this is best done by
pre-loading the configuration registers from a serial ROM since one most
probably can not modify the setup registers before the PCI BIOS starts
assigning resources.

Malware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: disk error?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:53:41 GMT

    This looks like a hard drive error.  It hasn't occured since
    the original incident, about a week ago, but the following
    was repeated several times in my log file.

kernel: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 d8 c6 3c
00 00 08 00
kernel: Info fld=0xd8c63c, Current sd08:05: sense key Medium Error
kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:05, sector 6029376
kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,5)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode b lock -
inode=368160, block=753672

    My questions are:

    *  Is this a permanent disk failure?

    *  How can I test my disk to see if it's OK?

    *  Can I mark the sector as bad and continue using the disk?

    [I'm coming from the perspective that I used to be able to
    test for and mark bad blocks on old (Wren III) disks on the
    Sun3/50 I used to have.]

    Thanks....

From: "Mike Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Safe to use UDMA?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:23:35 +0500

> Do you get any messages about ide0 resets and DMA being disabled? Boot
> your system in single-user mode (to reduce the chances of Bad Things
> happening), turn on DMA, and run hdparm's tests.  Then use dmesg to
> check for DMA being disabled.  If that happens, you probably can't use
> DMA, even if both your hard drive and chipset claim to support it.  You
> can force the IDE driver to keep turning DMA back on, but that may cause
> nasty data corruption.

That confuses me even more about a similar problem I'm having...

I have an Asus A7V motherboard, (VIA KT133 chipset), and two UDMA66 hard
drives connected to it.  I'm using kernel 2.4.2 with "DMA by default"
enabled, and my bootup messages say "hda:DMA hdb:DMA", but when I check
with hdparm, "using_dma" is off for both drives.

I can turn on DMA and some other options with the command "hdparm -m16
-c1 -u1 -d1 /dev/hdb", and everything works fine.  My transfer rates go from
3.66MB/sec to 25MB/sec.  But when I do this, I have no idea what DMA mode
the drive is actually using, because I haven't specified any -X option.
As soon as I add in -X34 or -X66 or whatever, on kernel 2.2.18 I get
those ide0-reset, and the one time I tried it on 2.4.2, I got a series of
messages saying "hda: lost interrupt" and a hard reset left me with a
corrupted filesystem.

What does this mean?  Is it safe for me to use DMA or not?
--

Mike Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ken Blake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:27:46 -0700

"RMS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
news:joVn6.1948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> It's for the benefit of many of the European and British
users.

Even for those of us in the US, html is an imposition.
Although I don't pay by the minute, it's a waste of
bandwidth, and I don't want to take any longer downloading
messages than I need to. Moreover, in more instances than
not, I find most html messages to be much harder to read
than plain text. When I see red text on a black background
for example (only one of many different difficult-to-read
combinations I've seen) I just go on to the next message. On
person's idea of an attractive easy-to-read message is not
the next person's, and none of us should try to impose our
tastes in this regard on the rest of the newsgroup.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

<--------------------------------------------------------->
> Visit http://members.home.net/rsavoie1
> *** If you can't afford to replace it, don't overclock it!
***

<--------------------------------------------------------->

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Siebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:30:31 +0000 (UTC)

"Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Not a dumb question at all...Actually you will find the phone interfere with
>the card more often then not...

>I used to work for Wave Wireless Networking DBA of Speedcom Wireless...We
>dealt with these issues all the time. Customers would buy the phone and then
>call us asking why there network went down when they used the phones. Same
>deal with the 900Mhz Phones and cards if you have either of those too. Try
>and get a 900 MHz phone, cause they still make them, but 900MHz LAN cards
>are no longer available.

Does it take it down completely, or just reduce the speed?  I thought the
whole point of the 2.4GHz spread spectrum technology was that multiple
devices could use the same frequencies without problems?  So if my next
door neighbors got 2.4GHz phones like mine I'll suddenly have trouble
with them?  Geez, I think I want the $300 I paid Panasonic back for my
two 2.4GHz phones if that's the case!

--
Doug Siebert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Mar 2001 18:38:59 -0500

Robert MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The answer is probably 'no' but I'll ask anyway..
>
> I have a HP LaserJet 3100 printer.  Each of my workstations is currently
> running Windows 2000, and because of this, I can share this printer
> among the workstations.  Printer sharing was never part of HP's goals
> with this product, apparently, because you can only share the printer
> between two computers if both of their OS's are the same (Both W2K, NT
> 4, or 9x).
>
> So, I want my own workstation to run Linux.  I'd rather not buy a
> different printer just so I can print.
>
> I am assuming that if I cannot share the printer between a W2K and a 98
> box, that I definitely won't be able to share it between W2K and a Linux
> box.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
>
> Is there some sort of proxy program I can run on the workstation to
> which the LJ 3100 is connected that will create a "virtual" generic
> shared printer device?
>
> Thanks for any help and suggestions!

According to www.linuxprinting.org, it looks like the 3100 is a winprinter:

Multifunction device - copier/scanner/fax/etc.
PCL 4 emulation appears to be host-based.

Known variants: xi (US retail), se (US business). 3100 is international
model. Not usable with Linux: an HP tech support person told me that half of
the 3100's functionality is handled by the Windows-only drivers. Thus, even if
you were on a Windows machine and go to the DOS prompt, doing `DIR > LPT1:'
will fail; everything has to go through the windows drivers. (sigh)

According to the hpoj project:

...if you have a LaserJet 3150 connected to an HP JetDirect 70X/170X/300X/500X
with firmware x.08.xx or later, you can scan using the JetDirect's embedded web
server.

If you have the luxury of a seperate MS Windows box, you can share the printer
in the following manner:

After installing the normal drivers and JetSuite (HP software), add yet another
printer. Use the LPT1: port and HP LasertJet II as the driver, then share this
printer. You can now access this share via Linux as an SMB client; use the
vanilla "HP LaserJet" filter. The PCL emulation will complain, though the
printout is fine thus far. You can turn off the complaints by editing your
$WINDIR\JETSUITE.INI and in the [PCLEmulation] section, set DisplayWarning=no

Printer does not support PJL.
Note: printer doesn't print plain text.
Refill: cartridge
This entry has not yet been proofread.
Autoprobe info present.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

From: "Bas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond speedstar A90 driver
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:38:52 +0100

Hello,

I have a diamond speedstar A90 videocard and can't get the thing to work
with LINUX.  Does anybody have an idea how I can get the thing to work?

Thanks,

Bas