  Re: ZIP drive in Linux (Chris Cannon)

From: "RMS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Subject: Re: Harddisk performance
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:16:08 GMT

I agree. I don't post in HTML except at a MS newsgroup (Haven't been there in
years though.), but I haven't seen a poster in this group that knows how to use
the HTML properly anyways.

"Black text on a dark grey background" is too hard to read. Get a clue you guys!

--
bye, Rick
<--------------------------------------------------------->
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johnnie Carter)
Subject: append statement
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:21:32 GMT

i forgot the correct syntax for append statement in lilo to show memory above
64M. your help would be appreciated.
thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: append statement
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:27:44 GMT

append="mem=128M"

------------------------------

From: "Brian Biggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.windows98,alt.windows-me,hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.win98.setup
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:26:09 -0000

Yes they do, but as Trojans can be transmitted in html text is safer.

--
Brian  ©¿©
Tweaks and Downloads at

------------------------------

From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UDMA: can't turn it on with hdparm anymore.
Date: 02 Mar 2001 14:40:01 -0500

I have a system that supports UDMA33. I used to be able to use "hdparm -c3 -d1
/dev/hdx" and turn it on.  Now, I get this message:

/dev/hdd:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 3
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

What's the deal??

Thanks!

--Dan

------------------------------

From: "Dan Pinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monitor loses signal
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:12:10 -0800

I've seen similar postings but no resolutions or information on 'why'. At
the shell prompt or under X either one, my monitor shuts off after just
seconds of no keyboard input. It appears that the signal from the computer
is lost based on an LED on the monitor. Neither mouse or keyboard wakes it
up. The system is alive and well as it responds to the keyboard. No problem
with this hardware under other OSes.

My configuration is:

    Red Hat 7
    Trinitron monitor
    Matrox G100 video card

The hardware is listed as supported on Red Hat's site. Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should I abandon SCSI?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:48:44 -0600

Damn the performance issues; the ATA- Standards group is trying to place
commands in the ATA spec to prevent you from storing certain data types
on them, and place an unique ID on each and every disk, and implement a
command to disable the disk by their software... ala the Intel debacle.
www.cryptome.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Boot Question: CPU and BIOS
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:01:26 GMT

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 22:04:49 -0800, Roger Anderson staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Reading about the boot process on x86 PCs. Here is my understanding of
>the initial steps:
>
>1. Power-on
>2. CPU fetches and executes instruction at 0xfffffff0
>3. Jump occurs to start of BIOS code
>
>At this point, does the CPU execute the BIOS code? Does it hand control
>over to the BIOS, essentially blocking until the BIOS returns? What
>actually performs the work of reading the MBR, loading the boot sector?

At boot time on an x86, a section of flash ROM is mmapped to FFFF:0000
(note the segment:offset notation; x86s wake up in real mode), and the
CPU begins executing that code.  The BIOS code contains a number of
motherboard-specific features, including the POST and the BIOS Setup
program.  It also contains *very* rudimentary device drivers for
supporting a keyboard and an IDE hard disk.  The BIOS contains
instructions that basically say, "Test the hardware, offer a chance to
go into the Setup program, then load the first sector from the boot
device and give control of the CPU to that code."

>The BIOS chip? Does the CPU execute BIOS code? What exactly is the BIOS?
>Code? Chip? Is the CPU involved in the MBR read and boot sector load?
>Does it wait until the BIOS returns to start executing LILO
>instructions?

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System, but has been overloaded to mean either
all the code residing in flash ROM on the motherboard, or the Setup
program residing in flash ROM which you enter by pressing {F1,Del,F2,F8,
whatever} upon boot.

If you want to know a reasonable amount about how these things work, I
suggest _Upgrading and Repairing PCs_ by Scott Mueller, ISBN
0-7897-1903-7 .  The 11th edition is a bit dated; see if a 12th edition
is out.  The book is very comprehensive (read: heavy enough to seriously
injure someone) and comes with some useful stuff on a CD-ROM.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: iomega zip strange problem
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:01:27 GMT

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:10:54 +0000, Olivier Ravard staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I want to have a dual boot server with NT and Linux.
>The PC have a DD, DVD ROM, and an iomega zip on ide.
>
>I installed NT and all works fine.
>I installed Linux RedHat 6.2 and all works fine.
>Reboot on NT and blue screen...
>
>Re-install NT and all works fine.
>Re-install Linux deconnecting the zip. All works fine.
>Reboot on NT reconnecting the zip and all works fine.
>Reboot on Linux (reconnecting the zip) and the DD is not recognized...

What's a DD?  Did you mean a Hard Drive (HD)?  DD can also mean a Double
Density floppy drive, and dd is a lowlevel disk utility.

Anyway, you should check the jumper settings on the devices.  The hard
drive must be master on the primary IDE controller (otherwise NT would
not work at all) and you can connect the other devices wherever you like
as long as the jumpers are set correctly.  ZIP drives are usually set as
"slave" at the factory, while CD/DVD drives are usually set as "master".
If you don't plug them into the right places and don't change the jumper
settings, NT may not complain, but Linux will.

The output of dmesg might be useful--boot from a boot floppy if you
can't get into your Linux system now.

PS:  je peux lire et écrire français si anglais est difficile pour vous.
Mettez votre message sur e-mail; on parle anglais ici.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: UDMA: can't turn it on with hdparm anymore.
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:16:39 GMT

On 02 Mar 2001 14:40:01 -0500, Dan Smith staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I have a system that supports UDMA33. I used to be able to use "hdparm
>-c3 -d1 /dev/hdx" and turn it on.  Now, I get this message:
>
>/dev/hdd:
> setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 3
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>
>What's the deal??

What'd you change wrt the kernel?

The 2.4.x series does not support DMA with VIA chipsets unless you do a
little hacking--some people have reported problems with data corruption,
so VIA DMA is not an option for Joe User until Hedrick and the other IDE
chipset gurus can find/fix the bugs.  If you were using a stock distro
kernel and you downloaded a source tarball and compiled, do it again,
and make sure you turn on the "Prompt for dev/incomplete drivers"
option.  There's a section in Block Devices where you can select a large
number of various IDE chipsets.  Select the one you've got.  (cat
/proc/pci can help if you don't know it already.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??
Date: 3 Mar 2001 03:08:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware S. Joel Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: adaptec make a ide raid card
: that might be ok for u

It doesnt support linux.

-Dan
(To reply in email replace blort dot invalid with anime dot net)

------------------------------

From: Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster PCI 16 Bass/Treble in Mixers, Please Confirm
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:11:04 -0600

My soundblaster 16 b/t also does not work. I saw somewhere that the
Vibra16x chipset does not support it. Some SB16 has b/t, others don't.

------------------------------

From: Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hedrick's ide patch for 2.2.14
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:18:40 -0600

Hi Joe; I have an AMD K2@ 450MHZ on an ASUS P5A. Runs like a charm on
all
kernels, and Windows 98. There was one issue with Win95 in regards to
the ide driver on Windows disk buggy. Kernel 2.2.18 runs like a wiz
and has crashed only rarely (once evry other month of daily use).
I am using ultradma with the Ali chipset w/128MB of ram.
2.2.12 and 2.2.16 was stable.

Fred Farleigh.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: KVM;RECOMMENDATIONS ANYBODY?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Mar 2001 22:22:55 -0500

Aaron Lees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi.  I'have the following configuration:
>
> 1. Compaq P110 monitor running at 1152X864 resolution and 85X97 KHz.
> 2. PS-2 mouse.
> 3. PS-2 keyboard.
>
> I would llike to know if anybody has any recommendations/suggestions on
> selecting a 4 port KVM in order to support a 4 consoled Beowulf cluster
> from one screen/keyboard/mouse.
>
> Thanks in advance ... Lief

I used the Cybex SwitchView 4 port KVM for awhile, until I needed a KVM that
passed the DDC information through due to problems with Windows and a laptop,
and upgraded to a CompuCable PowerReach 8 port KVM.  The Cybex was nice in that
it seemed to remember the mouse current mode, wheras with the PowerReach, if I
switch between screens that have my wheel mouse in a different mode, it doesn't
probably refresh the mode.  On the other hand, the sequence to change screens
on the Cybex (control-control) was easily mistyped, and seemed to make my RSI
(repeative stress) flare up more.  The sequence to change the screens on the
PowerReach is scroll-lock scroll-lock, which you can't type from they keyboard
(but then you don't get RSI from pounding on the control key).  The Cybex could
handl 1600x1200 as ~ 80Mhz, though it was a little fuzze.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

From: Chris Cannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP drive in Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:05:52 -0700

Internal, IDE probably. It's a Panasonic IOMEGA dup.
Does this mean the type -t is IDE?
Thanks, ~CC