From: Julian Gough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide-scsi problem?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:42:53 +0100

I have an ide PlexWriter 8/4/32A which was working flawlessly under
linux for many months via a virtual scsi
device set up by the bootloader etc. etc..  I was able to read and write
CDs and use commands such as
cdrecord,eject,mount etc..

Today it spontaneously stopped working.  I could not eject by pressing
the button on the drive,  the 'eject' command
yields:

[root@stash jgough]# eject
eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

as root or as a user.  When I try cdrecord it reports that my drive is
not supported:

[root@stash jgough]# cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -checkdrive
Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'CD-R   PX-W8432T'
Revision       : '1.07'
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found
on this target.
[root@stash jgough]#

I had experienced this same problem a year ago on a different computer
with a different CD drive,  with a different
distribution of linux and a very different kernel etc..  Having beaten
my head against the problem before (I tried all
the obvious things I could think of) I knew that the only way to fix
this was a reboot,  so I bit the bullet and rebooted
the machine which gets rebooted about every time there's a power cut or
I need to recompile the kernel.
After the reboot it was working fine again,  until I'd written one CD,
and then it went back to the same problem.
This is not a machine that can be rebooted often,  so I really need to
fix it this time.

The only other curious thing is that scsi_info reports the wrong SCSI
ID:

[root@stash jgough]# scsi_info /dev/scd0
SCSI_ID="0,0,0"
MODEL="PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W8432T"
FW_REV="1.07"
[root@stash jgough]#

... but then this may be a separate issue.

I would really appreciate any advice or help on tackling this problem.
I've seen this problem reporteed by people all
over the newsgroups because they think its a 'cdrecord' problem,  or an
'eject' problem or 'gtoaster' etc. etc. but I
am pretty sure it's a bit more low-level than that.

many thanks

Julian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: BIOS Upgrades
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:46:13 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer:

[Snip...]

>Which is it? The procedure I suggested will enable you to find out.

Like I said: I'll do yast in 32 MB standing on my head in Hades first.

Suddenly I don't care anymore about this futile exercise, OK?

[Snip...]

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: Need help burning CDs using Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:59:21 +0000 (UTC)

In article <JZlu6.16620$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Yamaha CRW4416S 4x burner. I installed cdrecord 1.9, mkisofs and a
>couple of different GUI frontends. I am running RedHat 7.
>
>The first time I tried burning a CD, it worked beautifully - just installed
>the above mentioned programs without any hitches and the CD burned without
>issue.
>
>Ever since then, I can't get the burner to work - I think I am getting SCSI
>errors but I am not sure. I haven't changed anything on my system (software
>or hardware) since my first successful burn so I am very confused as to why
>it doesn't work anymore.
>
>I've included a sample of the log file from one of my attempts to burn a CD
>at the end of this email. If anyone is able to give me some ideas where the
>problem may be that would be fantastic. I'm outta ideas for what to check
>next ....
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Cheers,
>Ben

snip

I have the same model and similar problems. In fact things are actually worse,
I can no longer reliably write CDRs without "focus servo" errors (requires
servicing). It can still write CDRWs without problems, but other than that
it's pretty much a boat anchor. If you have any opportunity to unload this
writer and cut your losses I would recommend doing so. It turns out that these
writers were poorly designed in terms of providing cooling and are extremely
sensitive to internal case temperature. When I first started having problems
I did a lot of digging on the net and it appears numerous other Yamaha owners
had similar problems. Besides consistently overinflating performance numbers
(as can be seen in many CD writer reviews) Yamaha doesn't seem to design for
high reliability. My next writer will probably be a Plextor.

Getting back to your problem, you might want to experiment with a better grade
of CDRs. Also, are you having any trouble with CDRWs? If you hear a squeal during
CDR recording and get a "focus servo" error you're in trouble - call Yamaha before
the warranty expires. Last but not least, keep the unit as cool as possible. A
well vented case with intake and exhaust fans is almost mandatory. Good luck.

Peter Stein

------------------------------

From: "C. Newport" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ISDN router for Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:58:46 +0100

John Stolz wrote:

> I need advice on choosing an ISDN router for a mixed (linux/Win98) SOHO
> network.
>
> I currently share the ISDN connection via Windows 98se connection sharing -
> which is pants.  I'd like to install an ISDN router.  But the one I have in
> mind comes with windoze setup software, but I hear that routers exist with a
> web interface setup and config system which is more ecumenical
>
> If I go for a router with the windoze setup (Cisco 775 or Bay Netgear
> RT348) - I presume I can connect from any computer on the network?

I use the Netgear 348 - it works fine.
Dont use the windoze setup program, set it up via the serial port
or telnet, you will get less grief that way.

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe.  [Albert Einstein].

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Davis)
Subject: Re: Abit VH6 II & OnBoard Sound... Help?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:08:24 GMT

I have been able to install Debian 2.2 off an "official" CD set
(don't remember the vendor, but does it matter?) straight off onto
an all SCSI (19160 OLVD) system and am now able to boot ok.

The aic7xxx driver does the trick.

I did have to play around a bit before I was able to boot, but
it seems to be fine.  I tried some parameters I found off the
Inet, but they don't seem to be necessary.

Alan Davis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Marianas High School/N. Marianas College Science Department

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

 I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
 hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one on
 every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

------------------------------

From: Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motherboard problems
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:16:18 GMT

I was just informed that there are problems with some ASUS motherboards
and the Athlon processor running Linux.  Can anyone tell me which boards
are the problem.
And just out of curiosity why is Linux affected by this problem and not
Windows.

Then again this may be bogus information.  I'm trying to get
confirmation.

------------------------------

From: "Matt Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: BIOS Upgrades (Was: Via + Maxtor + kernel 2.4.3 = crash?)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:01:38 -0400

> On this topic, I need pointers on BIOS upgrades, especially where to
> find them, as I haven't had any luck at all with Google to date.

Did you try http://www.ping.be/bios/index.html ? Found it using Google a
while back when upgrading a BIOS.

> Rebooting resulted in a kernel panic which I almost expected on these
> old BIOS versions (Award 4.51PG i430VX) from reading threads I found.

I'm using that same BIOS version and haven't had any problems with 96 and
128 MB of RAM, so I doubt that it's a BIOS problem... I didn't even need
to change the LILO file.

I'd think it's RAM related. Try just running the new sticks alone and see
if that brings up the kernel panic.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruud van Gaal)
Subject: Re: Samba - Strange Password Prompt (HOT/URGENT!)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:36:48 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:12:52 GMT, Mark_Harju

>I'm at my wits' end trying to connect to my Samba Linux box via a win98
>machine, but every time I do, I'm getting a password prompt. No password
>I've got will work! I hope this isn't a dummy thing...!

Here goes... Hope it helps...
I've just installed Linux a few hours ago, and here's what I have:

---
# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[rvg]
   comment = RvG Linux home dir
   path = /home/rvg
   valid users = rvg
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
---

The user account doesn't work ('A set of credentials were found bla
bla'), maybe because I have several SGIs here with the same login or
something. The /tmp one works fine, and I can place files there.
Perhaps the 'valid users' should contain a user on the Win32 platform.
Haven't tried it yet, since the /tmp approach works for me for the
next couple of days.

Also try the other extract:

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user,
so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously
this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could
of course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
instead.
[public]
   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
---

Also note that the most problems with WindowsNT I've had was due to
password encryption (by default, passwords are sent otherwise
unencrypted, making for easy capturing).
The microsoft.com site has info on that; a registry setting is used to
enable password sending without encrypting. Don't have the URL. Here's
an oldy from my knowledge base:

---
Q: Samba connects from Windows95 constantly say 'Enter passwd for
IPC$'
   (16-12-98)
A: For Samba 2.0.0 (beta4) on IRIX6.5, you need to add this

   [global]
     security = share
   (Samba 1.9.17p4 on DEV1/IRIX6.3 didn't need this)

   to /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf
   NOTE: This is different for Windows NT; check
http://www.microsoft.com
---

And here's the MS copy of the solution for NT:

---
With Unencrypted Password SP3 Fails to Connect to SMB Server
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0 with Service Pack 3
Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0 with Service Pack 3
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0 with Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0 with Service Pack 4
SYMPTOMS
After upgrading your Windows NT 4.0 computer to Service Pack 3 (SP3),
you are unable to connect to certain non-Microsoft Server Message
Block (SMB) servers and you may receive the following error message:
   System error 1240 has occurred.

   The account is not authorized to login from this station.
CAUSE
Some non-Microsoft SMB servers only support unencrypted (plain text)
password exchanges during authentication.
The SMB client redirector in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 and later
handles unencrypted passwords differently than previous versions of
Windows NT. Beginning with Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3, the SMB
redirector does not send an unencrypted password during authentication
to an SMB server unless you add a specific registry entry.
In previous versions, the client would automatically negotiate
downward to unencrypted (plain text) authentication if requested from
the server.
RESOLUTION
Check with the vendor of the SMB server product to see if there is a
way to support encrypted password authentication, or if there is a
newer version of the product that adds this support.
Alternatively, to enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords for the
SMB client on Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 and newer systems, modify
the registry in the following way:
WARNING: Enabling this will allow unencrypted (plain text) passwords
to be sent across the network when authenticating to an SMB server
that requests this option. This can lessen the overall security of an
environment and should only be done after careful consideration of the
consequences of plain text passwords in your specific environment.
WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
>From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
Click Add Value on the Edit menu.
Add the following:
      Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword
      Data Type: REG_DWORD
      Data: 1
Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.
Shut down and restart Windows NT.
To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords in an automated setup,
modify the registry in the following way:
WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
Add the following line to the Product.Add.Reg section of the
Update.inf file:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters,
   "EnablePlainTextPassword", 0x10001, 1

Ruud van Gaal, GPL Rank +53.25
Pencil art    : http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/
Free car sim  : http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/racer/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Davis)
Subject: Bass/Treble w/ Soundblaster Live
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:30:12 GMT

At some point, perhaps 2.2.15, one of my kernels was set up with
a bass-treble working mixer for the SB Live.  I am unsure which of
the various drivers I used, but either the Creative one, off the FTP
site, or the kernel's own.

More recent kernels / drivers don't seem to support that feature.

Can anyone tell me what I have?  Which drivers can I use?

I haven't used Alsa drivers yet, as I haven't gotten through the
configuration maze of that system.

Alan Davis

From: Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help wanted. Linux problems using AMD K6-2
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:39:07 GMT

Well I thought that K6-2 would no or could not be used to run Linux
period.  Is this an old wives tale or what.  A guy just 2 weeks ago offered
me a computer with a  K6-2 processor and I told him I couldn't use it. Is
this and old wives tale or what.

------------------------------

From: Jan Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:58:09 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:39:07 GMT, Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Well I thought that K6-2 would no or could not be used to run Linux
>period.  Is this an old wives tale or what.  A guy just 2 weeks ago offered
>me a computer with a  K6-2 processor and I told him I couldn't use it. Is
>this and old wives tale or what.

The _earliest_ K6-2 had a bug which required you to disable internal
cache before installing linux or windows NT, thats all.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: SCSI errors, why?
Date: 12 Apr 2001 23:09:20 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:14:06, Trevor Jenkins
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Do you have good termination at both ends of the SCSI bus?  ...
> >
> > Terminated this problem. :-) You were correct. Bus termination was all
> > over the place.
>
> Seems I spoke too soon. Although the SCSI bus is now usable I'm still
> seeing errros reported when I try to use some CDs. Similar messages to
> those I mentioned before. Although I don't think that the bus length is
> too great some of the cables are long.
>
> From what I can see the Jaz and Zip drives are unaffected by these
> problems.

Zip drives are notoriously bad at termination. In fact, I think that
if you look deep enough on the Iomega webpage you'll find something
that says that you can only use a Zip drive as a SCSI peripheral if
it's the _only_ device on it! Sort of negates the point of SCSI,
thanks Iomega.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.