From: "Ron Bellomo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: total newbie please be kind
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:40:13 -0600

I don't know about USB mouse support. But, did your mouse come with a =
USB to PS/2 adapter cable? If so, try using the mouse in the PS/2 mouse =
port (if your PC has one). Many people are using the Intellimouse with =
no problems.=20

"siu00ew2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:9cs6eg$dpk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Thought it was about time i learnt a bit about linux. I installed Turbo
linux 5.3 coz I got that on a magazine cover DVD a while back.
Everything seems fine except I can't use my mouse. It's a USB =
intellimouse.
Is this version too old to support usb, do i have to update the kernel =
(?),
can anyone talk me through what I need to do to get it working?
I have a USB keyboard as well but that works OK cos i guess it is =
handeled
through the BIOS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 19:43:03 GMT

On Thu, 3 May 2001 13:40:13 -0600, Ron Bellomo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I don't know about USB mouse support. But, did your mouse come with a USB to
>PS/2 adapter cable? If so, try using the mouse in the PS/2 mouse port (if your
>PC has one). Many people are using the Intellimouse with no problems.

Do they really make such a cable?  USB and serial protocols are as different as
IDE and SCSI.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding an IDE hard disk - ok, call me stupid...
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:31:27 -0600

> John & Steve;
>
> Steve - you called it right the first time (I say sheepishly).

 You weren't stupid - just a little hurried and perhaps a little careless.
Nothing I haven't been guilty of a few (thousand) times!

steve

------------------------------

From: "Sten Ahlberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: oki 4w printer
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 19:51:07 +0200

I tried to post a question on using an OkiPage 4w+   printer, twice.
Both times it didn't even appear in this group.
Is the Oki printer so awful or why does the note disappear?

Does anyone know how to get it working with Linux.
Have Red Hat 6.1, all else works fine and there seems to be even a filter
for Oki4w in the installation but no explanation on how to make it work.
Please, someone.
Sten Ahlberg

------------------------------

From: Laurent Canet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IRQ Sharing with 2.4.3
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 20:59:03 GMT

I have a msi 6321 mainboard with two P3/850 (running in SMP 1.4 mode)

My system is using the same irq for differents periperals; here is my
/proc/interrupts:

[lc@malibu:~]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:   30462001   31509959    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:     182398     204543    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:   13497898   13468999    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 12:    2510808    2616885    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      36637      41016    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 16:       1075       1070   IO-APIC-level  sym53c8xx
 17:   74267222   74336784   IO-APIC-level  eth0
 18:     647724     665332   IO-APIC-level  ide2, ide3, via82cxxx
 19:    7759075    5544290   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
NMI:   60911692   60758259
LOC:   61959001   61959000
ERR:          0

IRQ18 is used by ide2 (which controls the system's main disk), ide3 (DATA
disk) and via82cxxx (onboard audio)
I want to know if this is possible to use unused irqs (9,10,11,13,15,20+)
for thoses peripherals.

BTW, i got a lot of NMI/LOC; are they really important ?

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP, RH7.1 and Intel -- Can't they all just get along?  [Update = what I
know so far]
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 15:07:23 -0600

> Indeed
>
> append="noapic"
> in /etc/lilo works.

  I just remembered why my boards work without disabling APIC- in the BIOS,
I set them to use MPS 1.1, not 1.4.  I guess I'll have to look and see which
would give the best performance - 1.1 with APIC, or 1.4 without APIC.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Makhno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Buffering problem when writing to hardware
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:43:00 +0100

We're trying to write some data to some hardware which is supposed to have
an internal buffer size of 64k. Unfortuanately, we seem to be unable to
write more than 4095 bytes. More than this, and the write() function just
hangs indefinately.
If we open the device in non-blocking mode, anything over about 4100 bytes
gets corrupted. As we have tried this with two different pieces of hardware
and received the same results, I'm beginning to suspect that it is a problem
with our installation of linux (rh 6.2). Another, a similar linux system
configured by another company (for rh 6.1) works fine.
Are there any settings that might be causing this buffering limitation?

------------------------------

From: "Ron Bellomo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:21:37 -0600

Actually, the mouse might have the PS/2 connector as the 'default' and =
you add the USB adapter if you need it. I don't really remember  how it =
comes out of the box. But, yes, the intellimouse is often USB or PS/2. =
Just added one to my wife's PC about a month ago. I avoided the USB port =
since I feel it is unreliable. Just went with the PS/2 connection and =
voila, mouse works. On Win2000 (her OS ), I needed to add drivers to =
make the wheel usable in her apps, but the mouse worked immediately on =
boot up.

=20
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
o.home.com...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: Any recommendations for photo-scanners?
Date: 03 May 2001 22:38:19 GMT

On Thu, 3 May 2001 11:51:48, Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> on Tuesday 01 May 2001 22:04, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
>
> > In article <DlEH6.37$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> Anyone got any reccomendations for a photo-scanner? I run Debian,
> >> kernel 2.2.17, have SCSI, have USB hardware but haven't looked at
> >> patching the kernel to drive it.
> >
> > Do you mean a scanner for photograph negatives?
>
> Yes, and slides and so on. Strictly 35mm.

I'm using a Nikon Coolscan III under various flavours of Linux. Bought
mine just before xmas from Jessops and the day after New Year they
knocked £100 of the price (mutter, mutter). If they still have any
left then they're about £450 and that includes a PCI Adaptec 2906 card
plus the cable to connect the scanner up. I tried to make it work with
SANE but gave up after about an hour since VueScan under Linux worked
perfectly first time and continues to do so now.

The Coolscan III is a 2700dpi 35mm scanner and includes adapters for
slides, strip film and a manual feeder for strip film in case it's
bent or whatever and won't go through the feeder. It also has
something they advertise as DigitalICE which includes an infrared
channel in the scan that's used to eliminate dust from the resulting
scans. It works too!

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: Claudio Dosio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voodoo 3500 TV?
Date: 3 May 2001 22:48:15 GMT

Is there anybody that is wrting the drivers for the Voodoo 3 3500 TV
interface? Or does anybody know where to find any alpha or beta drivers for
it?

--
 Ciao,                                    -----==-  The choice of a GNU
 Claudio                                  ----==-- _generation

------------------------------

From: Jin Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEC NR-7500A CD-RW 8/4/32
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 18:07:25 -0500

Does anbody have this CD-RW drive work on linux ?
I have seen several posts about this topic, but no answer available.

Please response to my email address.

Thanks,

Jin

------------------------------

From: Bob Bucy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: es1371 - No Sound
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 18:25:09 -0500

News Flash!!! I got muscic, I got sound!!!!

Man I have been bashing my head over a rock on this one.  Thanks for the
help from all!!!  Couldn't get this thing working, so I decided to go
out and buy a new sound card, decided on a soundblaster 512, looked like
creative was making an attempt at providing drivers for linux, so I
thought I would support their efforts.  Anyway, I brought the SB 512
home and installed it on my machine and started trying to get it working
under Windows first, same thing was happening as in linux with the
SB128, everything looked fine, but NO SOUND.  Ripped out every card in
my box except the display adapter and the SB 512, still no sound, messed
with PCI Sharing settings, etc., etc., still no sound.  Put it into my
son's machine, music started playing, shit must be my machine Gateway
Performance 450, my BIOS or something, I guess my son was going to get
the new sound card.  Put my machine back together with the SB128
(es1371), Windows had sound, Linux did not.  Wasn't going to take this
lightly, started browsing the gateway newsgroups and there was the
answer.  I am using a Boston Acoustics speaker setup (BA375 - two
speakers and a sub-woofer), cable from the sound card connects into the
back of the sub-woofer, two choices analog and digital, my SB128 setup
was connected to the analog outlet.  Hooked my speakers up to the SB512
(now in my son's machine), and no sound, changed to a digital connection
and sound.  Back to my machine, hooked my SB128 with a digital
connection.  Windows has sound (windows SB128 driver autsenses
analog/digital).  Went into Linux and there was SOUND, Bob Dylan, Eric
Clampton, Sheryl Crow, had it all!!!!!  After a while it started getting
annoying consider I had my config set to issue sound for all window
events!!!  Guess my son got a new sound card today.

------------------------------

From: "Doug Robson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hottest Video bang for the buck compat w/ Linux?
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 19:49:14 -0400

My old motherboard died (P5-200 Pentium Gateway) and I'm looking to replace
it
with a modern one - probably an AMD Athlon board with AGX for video on it.
(I'll take recommendations for the m/b as well)
But I want a high performance video card that can do games under Windoze,
but
still be fully compatible under Linux. (Games for kids, Linux for dad.)
Could some people who have had experience with AGP boards that work well
with Red Hat Linux 7.0 please write and tell me which boards would fill both
compatibility with Linux and Windoze souped up game demands?

Doug Robson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Mouse problem
Date: 04 May 2001 00:38:50 GMT

On Fri, 4 May 2001 00:22:53 +0800, Stephen Lee staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Well irecently change my old mouse to a MS Wheelmouse optical(PS/2),
>anyway using the mouse under console (gpm) works fine. But when i start
>X the mouse moves immeditely to the top right hand corner ( I have no
>idea why), and it would not budge.
>
>I'm using Xfree 4.0.1 and Mandrake 7.0

Wrong mouse protocol or a problem with gpm.  These things from MS
typically use the "IMPS/2" protocol instead of the "PS/2" protocol, and
in some cases, running gpm and X's mouse-handler at the same time causes
problems.  Make sure the protocol for your mouse is set to "IMPS/2" in
XF86Config, and if that doesn't work, try shutting off gpm while in X.

(Oddly enough, I have an IBM mouse with 2 "normal" buttons, a wheel, and
3 thumb buttons on the left side.  Using the IMPS/2 protocol, the mouse
works but the thumb buttons produce no events [tested by od -x
/dev/psaux and pressing all the buttons repeatedly].  Using the PS/2
protocol, all buttons produce events, but the thumb buttons cause the
mouse to jump to the top of the screen.)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: need good linux *athlon* (tbird) motherboard..
Date: 04 May 2001 00:38:56 GMT

On Thu, 03 May 2001 18:20:30 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One staggered
into the Black Sun and said:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) wrote:
>> (Nitpick:  Why do 40% of posters mispell "Athlon" as "Athalon"?
>
>"thl" is _relatively_ difficult to pronounce, depending on how limited
>your understanding of phonemics is.  It's not as bad as trying to
>pronounce distinct retroflex and dental consonants or Klingon
>fricatives, but it's more difficult (assuming English is your native
>tongue) to say "Athlon" (two syllables:  a - thlon) than it is to say
>"Athalon" (three:  a - th' - lon; that's a schwa after the th).

Hmm.  For "Athlon", the thl consonant combination occurs in such a way
that the speaker can split the word into two syllables, "ath" and "lon",
and there are a number of consonant combinations that are easier to
pronounce when separated by syllable boundaries.  The "k-h" sound in
"blockhouse" is one of them, at least for English speakers; I'd think
the "thl" would be another.

>This phenomenon is not unique to "Athlon"; any word with a long
>syllable bearing non-blending adjascent consonants (except r, which has
>its *own* morphological trends) tends to get an extra schwa inserted.
>If AMD calls their next processor the the Zoomphthon, people will write
>"zomofithon" or "zoomaphathon" or somesuch.  (They're not planning to
>call it that; I made that up as an example.)

Sure they won't just elide the "ph"?  The f+th cluster is... possible,
but difficult.

Thanks for the linguistics info.  Although it's possible to reduce this
to "people tend to pronounce things sloppily if they get a chance, and
people can't spell either", it's good to see there's some sort of
reasoning behind it.

>> Are they all from the Southern USA?)
>People in northern Ohio and Indiana make the same mistake, so it's not
>limited to the south.  Whether it's limited to the USA, I don't know,
>but I doubt it.

How about for speakers of languages where "th" doesn't exist and "tl" is
a valid cluster?  Hmm, drifted way off topic, you should probably
followup via E-mail if you care to.

From: "Ron Freidel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: oki 4w printer
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 19:10:14 -0600

Hi,

I had an Okidata printer once, I had to use an HP driver, try setting it up as
an hp lj and see how it works, I think I used hpIIp on mine.

Hope this helps

--
Ron

That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said good-bye.

------------------------------

From: "Matt Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:30:09 -0400

Take a look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/
They have a list of supported printers and the Okipage 4w+ is listed as
"Mostly" compatible. You might also check out http://www.cups.org/ and
use that instead of the standard lpr with Redhat.

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo 3500 TV?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 02:05:07 GMT

http://sourceforge.net/projects/v3tv/