Linux-Hardware Digest #751, Volume #14           Thu, 10 May 01 07:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Will this system support linux? (Eric P. McCoy)
  Re: 4GB RAM Problem... (Eric P. McCoy)
  Moonlighter needed - Orange County, California (Dan Fraser)
  aic7xxx module in RedHat Linux 7.1? (Brian Lee)
  Re: Tape drive installation problem (Juergen Pfann)
  Re: Tape drive installation problem (Juergen Pfann)
  Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000) (David Hinds)
  Re: parallel port programming for linux? (Andreas Hinz)
  Re: Joystrick with Mandrake 8 (michael james obrien)
  Re: LG CD-RW CED-8080B problem solution? ("Dave")
  Re: Will this system support linux? ("Dave")
  Re: Asus Geforce 2 mx in working in linux? ("Dave")
  Re: DVD Writers for Linux ("Dave")
  Re: Will this system support linux? (Harri Haataja)
  IBM Thinkpad 600E power switch change.. (Walter Francis)
  Re: epic100.o not linked to kernel ("Frank Meischner")
  Buffalo LPC4-TX pcmcia nic (Nick De Roeck)
  Re: Packard Bell Iconnect 733C (Peter Nunn)
  Re: total newbie please be kind (Bo Nordahl Pedersen)
  Re: Backing up Windows on Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  DLT tape streamer for linux (Frode =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tj=F8ntveit?=)
  Re: Will this system support linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Subject: Re: Will this system support linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 10 May 2001 01:38:43 -0400

"Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip entire specification]

Short answer: Depends on what you want it for.

You can certainly run a usable text-based system on that.  It would,
in fact, be quite a good machine for a firewall if you need one.  You
could use it on the side for messing around with Linux and getting
familiar with it, as well as for small-scale application development.

In fact, as long as you don't run X Windows (AT ALL), it should run
pretty fast.  Be sure to put in 128MB of swap space; you usually won't
use more than 16MB if you don't run X, but better safe than sorry.

1.7GB is plenty for Linux.  I've got a base system on a 50MB RAID0
partition.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

Subject: Re: 4GB RAM Problem...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 10 May 2001 01:41:20 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >But if we put the fouth DIMM it gets very slow, e.g. needs the double time
> >for a numerical matrix decomposition. Even the bootup time increases
> >dramatically.

> Check if there's a BIOS config entry for the amount of cached RAM
> available and confirm that all of your 4GB are cached - that's what
> I would do.

Hmm.  Solaris claims only 3.5GB is addressable per CPU.  I think
that's a design problem on their end, but there might be some hardware
basis for it.

Sorry I don't have anything useful to say; maybe this'll at least
point you in the right direction.  (My motherboard only takes up to
2GB, more's the pity.  Can't ever have too much RAM.)

--

------------------------------

From: Dan Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Moonlighter needed - Orange County, California
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 22:37:46 -0700

We are looking for a Linux moonlighter in the Orange County area to help
us transfer a DOS batch file based industrial system to a Linux based
system. This is NOT a regular position and is not suitable for someone
who needs something to pay the rent. Payment will be in the form of very
low priced stock options in a public company that will be profitable by
August . Estimated time required to do the job is 50 hours depending on
your experience. Can lead to more contract work in future.
I don't care about qualifications or how old you are. Students and
"hackers" welcome. If you know lot about setting up Linux machines,
specially script based units and can write the Linux equivalent of DOS
batch files, I can use your help.  Experience with Linmodem software
(using a Winmodem under Linux) and getting PCI sound cards to work under
Linux will be helpful. We will supply dedicated machines for you to use.
We prefer to deal with someone who lives in Orange County, California or
nearby (LA or RIverside county) as there will be times personal contact
will be needed.
Call Dan at 714-420-7535 or after 5:30 in the evening at 714-637-5366.
--
Dan Fraser

>From the City of Orange in sunny California
714-637-5966 Cell 714-420-7535

Check out my electronic schematics site at: http://nav.to/techman10
If you are into cars check out www.roadsters.com

------------------------------

From: Brian Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: aic7xxx module in RedHat Linux 7.1?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:00:31 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to install RH Linux 7.1 on Interl PC server. The machine has
SCSI HDD and need to use aic7xxx module. There was no probelm with
RH 6.2 but can't complete to install RH 7.1.

Installation is hanged with message, ``Loading AIC7XXX module''. How
can I solve this? Any comments about this will be very helpful.

 - Brian,.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive installation problem
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:45:37 +0200

Nick Long wrote:

> Yes, it is a SCSI drive.
>
> Here is the output from /sbin/lsmod:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> e100                   37468   1  (autoclean)
> ncr53c8xx              51424   6
>
> I don't know how to tell if the st module is loaded.
> (Fullquote snipped)

Well - apparently it isn't loaded (oh my god....).
What happens if you try to load that module (called
"st") - that is, you issue the command
"/sbin/insmod st" (withoout the quotes, of course) ?
With my system, I then see
Module         Pages    Used by
st                 6            0
in the output of lsmod...
Don't you ever read documentation - and, what is worse,
not even the replies to your questions ?
It's kinda hard to help such a guy...

SCNR

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:45:28 +0200

Nick Long wrote:

> How do I tell if CONFIG_SCSI, CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST are in my kernel?
> (Fullquote snipped again...)

Again, what about reading documentation - here, the kernel config
help & docu & kernel HOWTO ?
$ grep SCSI /usr/src/linux/.config
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# SCSI support
CONFIG_SCSI=y

$ grep ST /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m

Sorry, I do doubt Linux is the appropriate OS for someone not
being able to figure out something _that_ simple, even more if
that someone's apparently not willing to read documentation.

Juergen

------------------------------

From: David Hinds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:37:43 GMT

In comp.os.linux.portable Yuri Fialko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2) I was about to "downgrade" to 2.2, when Jerry McBride indicated
> that he could get the card to work with the 2.4.4 kernel (my RH7.1
> has 2.4.2). Does this mean that the bug has been fixed
> in 2.4.4 (David Hinds said that Linux is still working on this problem)?

The bug has not been fixed yet.  The bug is not specific to this card;
it is specific to certain laptops.  That is why other people report
that your card works fine for them with 2.4.* kernels.

-- Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: Re: parallel port programming for linux?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:52:35 GMT

In article <zCcK6.882$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, The Snowman wrote:
>Not sure if this is the right group, but it's more hardware related in
>nature than programming.
>
>c++ I know, but directly controlling hardware with it is uncharted territory
>to me.  Don't know if this is even possible, though I strongly suspect it
>is, and hence my question :P

Hi,
try http://google.com -> lpt programming howto -> I feel lucky

To get you started, a snip of my home aplliance controlling system:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <errno.h>

#define DataPort    0x3BC       /* or 0x3F8 or 0x2F8 or ...*/
#define StatusPort  DataPort + 1
#define ControlPort DataPort + 2

int main(void)
{
  if (ioperm(DataPort, 3, 1)) {
    printf("Fejl %i", errno);
    exit(1);
  }

  outb(1+4, DataPort);           /* set pin 2 and 5 on port */
  outb(0x08 ^ 0x0B, ControlPort);

  ioperm(DataPort, 3, 0);
}

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Andreas Hinz, ACCI Aps

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (michael james obrien)
Subject: Re: Joystrick with Mandrake 8
Date: 9 May 2001 21:16:19 GMT

David Leblond ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Here is my porblem:  I have a Sidewinder gamepad plugged into my SBLive
: Value.  I have loaded all the modules but still can't get it to work on
: my system.  What am I doing wrong?

Which modules, exactly, have you loaded?

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LG CD-RW CED-8080B problem solution?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:01:29 -0700

"Iiro Harjunkoski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The problem might have been that I installed the CD-RW as slave. I tried a
> Plextor drive and it behaved exactly the same way until I changed it to
> master. Now I don't have any problems and the buffer stays around 98-100%
> full.
>
> So those of you who get similar errors that I did with the ide-scsi
> module, it might be worth trying to change it to master if you have it
> currently as slave.

Really?  Can anyone else back this up?  I read in a HOWTO somewhere that
CD-RW had to be configured as slave.  Is the howto wrong?

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:04:08 -0700

"Frithiof Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9dbgka$j4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Amptron DX-6900 AT style motherboard with 7 16-bit ISA slots.
> > The processor is an Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz CPU
>
> etc..
>
> My answer is: Barely ;-)
>
> At home I run a similar setup, using plain XFree86 (No GNOME or nothing)
and
> it is usable, but not much fun. I use it most for programming (Python &
> PostgresSql) and fetching stock quotes from Yahoo and such.
>
> All the fun Linux apps such as Gimp, anything with media in it, anything
USB
> etc. will not work - it may "run" but it is not usable.
>
> Will get a new box Real Soon Now (tm) - when the next couple of hardware
> vendors go bust. 1 GHz Athlons are selling at USD 900 some places in DK
and
> prices are still falling ;-))

USD 900!!!! WTF!  Why don't you just order from North America somewhere.
With shipping included you'd still save 50%.  And if after it arrived, it
didn't work, you could always order another one, and break even.  2/2
disfunctional CPUs is doubtful.

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus Geforce 2 mx in working in linux?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:07:39 -0700

"Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9db704$aif$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > is this because of my Asus GeForce 2 MX problem... that linux
> doesn't
> > support the graphics card or is there a way to fix this up?
> >

> GeForce2 MX isn't supported by RH7. Get the nvidia drivers at
> www.nvidia.com or get a newer version of X. X4.0.2 supports this card.

Pavan sort of contradicts himself above....but he's right that XFree86 4
supports this card, or should.  Make sure you have this version, if not,
install the new version.  Then run XF86Configurator.

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD Writers for Linux
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:12:07 -0700

"Neil Zanella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know what DVD writers/players + CD writers/players
> (4 in one) work best with Linux and what the current price on these
> items is. All recommendation are greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

If you just want a CD-Writer, try the AOpen 12x10x32x or LG 12x10x32x.
There's no clear evidence on the web that these work, but I'm sure the
cd-record app will work with them.  Maybe someone in this newsgroup can
atest to whether they do work or not.  They are really cheap though, $110 US
here in Canada.

Check the HOWTOs at www.linuxdoc.org and look at the CD-Writing HOWTO, or
the Hardware HOWTO.  Unfortunately these very recent documents right now,
they mostly only show 8x4x32x drives.  Or go to www.linux.com and click on
Hardward on the left hand side, and look through the CD-RW entries.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:24:34 GMT

Ed wrote:
>Amptron DX-6900 AT style motherboard with 7 16-bit ISA slots.

Should have no problems?

>The processor is an Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz CPU.

Will run Linux but will not be a very big powerhouse.
Text apps will fly, though.

>The video card is a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB card with 2MB Video RAM.

Old Diamonds are trouble. If you're intending to run X .. maybe.
Otherwise it doesn't really matter, it's vga space => works.

>The main storage is a 500MB Quantum Fireball TM 1700A 3 1/2" IDE hard drive.
>BIOS doesn't see the full 1.7 gig.

If you get it to recognize the boot sector and LILO to work with
the mapping etc, it'll be fine. Linux will have its own IDE drivers.

>Audio is a Reveal SC200 Sound Blaster compatible ISA soundcard.

"SB compatible" means nothing. You'll have to find out what chip this
is.

> Hitachi 8X IDE CD-ROM (model CDR-7930)

ATAPI works.

>The ISA controller card supports the IDE channel, floppy drive channel,
>Printer port and two serial ports(1/DB9 and 1/DB25).

Provided they've not used any funny chips, those should work.

>US Robotics Sportser 33.6 Data/Fax External Modem.

External modems are OK. Hayes set ones are as easy as modems get.

> There is 24MB of memory.

That's plenty unless you run X and flashy desktop.

--
"It's seems to be spreading faster as Anna Kournikova"
        -- Mikko Hyyppönen on VBSWG.X (fsecure.com)

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM Thinkpad 600E power switch change..
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 04:04:37 -0400

I'm having a problem with my wife not thinking about the laptop being on
and turning it off when the screen has blanked, thinking she's actually
turning it on.

Using tpctl, I can set the power switch to turn the machine off, or to
go into hibernation.  Is there a way to set it to do anything different,
such as safely reboot the computer? (ie:  run a given command)

I'm setting it to hibernate until I come up with a better solution..
Unfortunately, occationally I have to really power down the machine with
the power switch.. :(

--
Walter Francis
http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 7.0

------------------------------

From: "Frank Meischner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epic100.o not linked to kernel
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:18:27 +0200

Im Artikel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb "Dean Thompson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Was the card compiled as a module or into the kernel.  If the file was
> compiled as a module, then it needs to be placed into the
> /lib/modules/<kernel number> directory hierarchy.  After you have done
> your make, you do a make modules and a make modules_install, don't you ?

I don't want to work with modules.
Today I tried my bootdisk and it worked (the kernel with this NIC).
The problem is: I want to boot from floppy disk and want to mount the root
filesystem over NFS. How can I tell the kernel which root-server it has to
use for mounting the root-filesystem?
I tried it with 'append="nfsroot=<ip-address>:/fsboot"' as kernel-options
in the lilo-configuration but it uses the dhcp-server as root-server (also as
boot-server).

cu
Frank

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:48:12 +0200
Subject: Buffalo LPC4-TX pcmcia nic
From: Nick De Roeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my pcmcia nic working on RedHat 6.2 (Buffalo LPC4-TX
pcmcia bought in Japan). I can't find anything about this specific card on
pcmcia-cs, but in an (foolish ;-) attempt to make it work I followed the
procedure for it's predecessor (LPC3-TX) for which I had to use/configure
the pcnet_cs module (which in it's turn seems to load the 8390 module).

Inserting the card results in the appearance of an interface 'eth0' reported
by ifconfig. But after giving it a correct ip and the like it can't make it
work (no network traffic possible, the led's on the card stay dead, ...).
The /var/log/messages reports the succesfull detection of a ne2000
compatible card (eth0: ne200 compatible, irq 5, 0x300).

Does anybody has any experience with this card ? Does anyboy maybe know what
kind of chipset sits inside ? Or can somebody maybe point me out how I can
discover which chipset is used in this card ?

tnx,

regards,

nick.

------------------------------

From: Peter Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Packard Bell Iconnect 733C
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:21:21 +1000

Thanks for the reply Big Al,

The MB is a type unknown at this stage but it has a 733 Celeron in it,
64MB of ram, on board video, and some sort of half assed on board
modem that I won't be using (luckily I'm guessing).

Just to try something different I'm going to try mandrake 8 on it.
I'll let you know how I go.

Peter.

------------------------------

From: Bo Nordahl Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: total newbie please be kind
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:40:18 +0200

Dear Newbie

You need kernel 2.4 to make USB work. I think (with an emphasis on
think!) it goes for conversion gadget as USB to PS/2 as well. Anyway it
might be quite a hassle, but once you get it to work you'll know a lot
more about Linux if thats any consolation. Otherwise look for +Linux
+how-to +usb +mouse on google and see what pops up...

Not much help I know!
Sincerely
     Bo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Backing up Windows on Linux
Date: 10 May 2001 18:48:52 +0800

    Steve> Yes, I can do this, but...  I'm producing a list of files
    Steve> and directories to back up via "ls", and filtering with
    Steve> grep to eliminate certain directories.

As others have pointed out, spend some time on learning use 'find' for
this task would be more  fruitful than struggling with 'ls'.  However,
out of interest,  I would like to  point out how you could  do this in
with.

    Steve> I would need to
    Steve> substantially complicate my script (so far as I can tell)
    Steve> to add quotes or escape. I'm wondering if anyone has an
    Steve> easier solution.

That's not too complicated if you are aware of 'sed':
Pipe the output of 'ls' through: sed 's/([ *?])/\\\1/g'

    Steve> Restating it: I don't want to give tar a fixed list of
    Steve> files and directories.  I want to create the list each
    Steve> time, with the exception of certain directories.

If you're using  GNU tar, there's another method:  the -T option.  You
can generate the list and  store the file names, without quoting, into
a temp.  file.  Then:
           tar Icvf /win-backup.tbz -T /tmp/myfilelist
Cool?  Also note the "-C" option of GNU tar, which is very convenient.

However, both  "-T" and  "-C" are non-standard  options, in  the sense
that many non-GNU tar implementations do not recognize them (let alone
having such cool features).

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: Frode =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tj=F8ntveit?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DLT tape streamer for linux
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:59:52 GMT

Hi.

Does anyone of you have experience from using DLT tape streamers
with linux? Are there some which are more easy (or difficult) to use
than others? I'm particularly interested in Tandberg DLT4000, or
similar products.

: f

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 10 May 2001 19:02:43 +0800

    >> The processor is an Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz CPU.

    Harri> Will run Linux but will not be a very big powerhouse.  Text
    Harri> apps will fly, though.

This guy  has 24MB of RAM  on this machine.  I  used to work  on a 486
DX2-66  with only 16MB  of RAM  for 5  years!  During  one of  these 5
years, I  actively developed code  (a university project) with  X.  My
applications are a few 'xterm', an 'oclock', and an Emacs window which
serves as  the front-end for 'gcc',  'gdb' and 'RCS'.   There were not
Gnome  or KDE  5  years ago.   (Thanks!   These GUI  desktops are  too
memory-hog.)  I didn't run  netscape (which is very resource-demanding
on  the X-server)  because it  didn't  connect to  the Internet.   The
machine served  me fine.  (It  is still working smoothly,  although it
now only servers as my  modem server and Internet firewall+router (and
hence running in text-only mode, of course.  I now run Linux 2.2.19SMP
on a Dual Celeron machine.)

    >> The main storage is a 500MB Quantum Fireball TM 1700A 3 1/2"
    >> IDE hard drive.  BIOS doesn't see the full 1.7 gig.

    Harri> If you get it to recognize the boot sector and LILO to work
    Harri> with the mapping etc, it'll be fine. Linux will have its
    Harri> own IDE drivers.

Even  if LILO  doesn't work  (I believe  it can  work somehow)  on the
harddrive, the system could still be  boot with a boot floppy (LILO on
floppy).  Once the kernel takes control, the system should work fine.

    >> There is 24MB of memory.

    Harri> That's plenty unless you run X and flashy desktop.

and Netscape.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)