Linux-Hardware Digest #797, Volume #14           Sat, 19 May 01 12:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  VIA Apollo Southbridge again (Thomas Palm)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Palm)
Subject: VIA Apollo Southbridge again
Date: 19 May 2001 08:31:51 -0700

Hi,

I still have problems with the VIA Apollo southbridge (Kernel 2.4.2 (Redhat 7.1) and
Kernel 2.4.4).

In rare circumstances,
there ist still file-corruption. I use an ASUS A7V133 (Revision 1.05,
including Sound + Raid). My tests:

- copying 4 GB of CD-ISO-Files from Promise Secondary Master to Promise
Secondary Slave. After that "diff -r srcdir destdir". Test was
succesfull, no differs, even after 15 executions

-  (same test with small files)
copying 4GB of small files (50 to 500 KB) from Promise Secondary Master
to Promise Secondary Slave.
1st run of "diff -r srcdir destdir" -> no differs
2nd run of "diff -r srcdir destdir" -> 2 files differ
3rd run of "diff -r srcdir destdir" -> 1 file differs
4th run of "diff -r srcdir destdir" -> 1 file differs
5th run of "diff -r srcdir destdir" -> no differs

- I d did the same tests on the Promise Primary, same results. Also on
the the VIA Secondary but my feeling is that there are even more
corruptions.

I stripped the machine to the bone, PCI-VGA only, same results.

I cannot say for sure, but before I stripped my adaptec SCSI-Card, there
may even been "differs" after copying from SCSI-Disk to SCSI-Disk. Off
course I thought other parts of my Hardware was flacky (e.g. RAM...),
but I swapped everything: RAM from different manufacturers, IDE-Cables,
CPU (Duron 900 -> Duron 850), VGA-Card, I tried the most conservative
Setting in the A7V-Bios, Bios-Update 1003 -> 1004 -> 1004 beta3, UDMA6->UDMA2 all to
no avail.

Any hints?
 <TP>