Linux-Hardware Digest #815, Volume #14           Wed, 23 May 01 15:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Intel Gigabit ethernet 1000BaseT for Redhat 7.1 (cistron)
  Re: IRQ conflict: UDMA and network (M. Buchenrieder)
  aha152x
  Re: Best 100Mbs PCI Ethernet card? (Duane Bozarth)
  Re: Diamond Monster Fusion (J Hayward)
  Dell Inspiron 8000 (Jean-Paul Miller)
  Re: Best Laptop for Linux? (Charles E. Hill)
  Re: aha152x (Roger Lindmark)
  NVidia almost works but not quite! Help! ("Andy Walker")
  Re: HP Officejets (Charles E. Hill)
  Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Sitecom ISDN TA128 USb (Traveller)
  ISDN adapter (Traveller)
  Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: Best 100Mbs PCI Ethernet card? (Matthew Weigel)
  Re: Logitech Quickcam Web USB (Ricardo da Silva)
  Solved (Huub)
  Re: Best Laptop for Linux? ("¼u¤Y¦¸­¦, MC")
  NeoMagic cursor.....a large block ("¼u¤Y¦¸­¦, MC")
  IBM Thinkpad A21m sound config issue (Chaos Magickian)

From: cistron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel Gigabit ethernet 1000BaseT for Redhat 7.1
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:19:53 +0500

Can someone tell me whether Intel Gigabit Ethernet 1000BaseT are
supported on Redhat 7.1

Thanks and Regards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict: UDMA and network
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:55:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ole B Christensen) writes:

[...]

>I have RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5.0, installed on a PentiumIII/ ASUS
>CUBX-E (Intel 440BX chipset Promise ATA/100), /IBM 60GB deskstar/

[...]

>The BIOS was set up
>as non-Plug-and-Play and apparently assigns the same IRQ to the mass
>storage controller (this must be the ATA/UDMA one, right?) and to the
>network interface. Could this not be the problem?

[...]

Yes, indeed. The Promise ATA100 controller as built into most of
today's BX or newer chipsets does _not_ allow IRQ sharing. This
is a design flaw of the used ATA controller chipset.

What you need, however, is a newer BIOS from the board manufacturer.
Alternatively, you could try playing around with "lspci" and
"setpci" in the meantime.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aha152x
Date: 23 May 2001 15:42:11 GMT

Short Version:

I can't use my scsi zip drive because aha152x.o won't insert!

Long Version:

I can't get my SCSI zip drive working under Linux.
(either 2.2.16 or 2.2.18, haven't tried 2.4 kernels)

- I've widdled my kernel down to a bare minimum.
- sd_mod and scsi_mod insert fine
- modprobe aha152x >> logs always suggests I'm using the wrong IRQ

The I/O Port is correct, and the SCSI ID doesn't seem to matter by
the time of failure. I've tried this with sd_mod/scsi_mod/aha152x all
as modules, all compiled into the kernel, and some mismatch.

My lilo.conf append line is being read correctly when it's all in the
kernel. My modules.conf options line is being read correctly when it's
a modules. Example

        alias   scsi_zip aha152x
        options aha152x  aha152x=0x140,9,7

I've tried IRQs 9, 10 and 11 - all with the correct jumpers.
(11 was a pain, and I can't do 12, so if you give me advice, please
 remember I'd prefer IRQs 9 or 10.)

I've also tried with all the options on and off: reconnect, parity,
synchrony, translation. I've even extended the delay from the default
100 up to 1000. At least then it takes longer to fail :)

I've searched everywhere, and I have found posts from people with
similar problems, but none that really help me. Any advice would be
extremely appreciated...?

-Chuck

------------------------------

From: Duane Bozarth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Best 100Mbs PCI Ethernet card?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:09:30 -0500

Have used 3COM 3C905 series and Intel 10/100's with no difficulties
under Warp4 FP 13+
Always install cleanly and run reliably.  (And with all MS OS's when
need arises)
However, I must note have not purchased new NICs in roughly 2 years (we
bought a 20-pack then and haven't used them all up, yet), so is possible
status of drivers is different.

Have no information on Linux, however, as they are mainstream, I'd
<assume> they're well supported....

------------------------------

From: J Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Monster Fusion
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:27:07 -0700

Hello,

Your problem is caused by a patch that was applied to fix a "snow" problem
some banshee users were reporting. Unfortunately it causes some cards to
become completely unusable. You can get XFree to work by recompiling the
source rpm without patch 319. You can recompile the XFree86-4.0.3-5 rpms
that came with RH 7.1. However I would download the lastest beta rpms and
compile them, they contain several other fixes to the tdfx driver. This
isn't a small download about 50mb for XFree source. Please note also if you
have a slow machine it can take 8 hours to compile.
Instructions on how to compile are below if you don't know how.

1. go to ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing
2. download Mesa-3.4.1-1.i386.rpm, Mesa-devel-3.4.1-1.i386.rpm,
XFree86-4.0.3-16.src.rpm
3. install the rpms
4. edit the XFree86.spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
5. find the line: %patch319 and comment it out, save the changes
6. in a console window change to the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory
7. then to build a new rpm type: rpm -bb XFree86.spec

You may get build errors if you don't have all the proper development
libraries installed. Until they fix XFree to detect the different
variations of banshee cards this is the only fix right now. Mike is
saying he is not going to remove patch 319 from the tree because it fixes
more cards then it breaks.

Regards,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: Jean-Paul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell Inspiron 8000
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:38:04 -0400

I was wondering a few things about this laptop.

I see the Inspirion can run RH7.0 as it can come installed on the
system. Can it also run RH6.2  We have our other systems running on 6.2
and so would like to keep 6.2.

I am mostly worried about the Pentium III and the Graphic Card(ATI
Mobility M4 aka ATI Rage 128).

The kernel build would be 2.2.14?

Any clues?

Paul Miller

From: Charles E. Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Laptop for Linux?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:41:24 GMT

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Hans-Ulrich Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm in the market for a laptop to use between the home and office, it
>> will need to run Mandrake 8. Can anyone recommend a laptop that would be
>> a good deal and provide the best Linux compatibility. Also, if u know of
>> any "don't buys", let me know too.
>
>> As I said, it will need to run Mandrake 8 and the only other requirement
>> is a 1024x768 capable screen.
>
> The big question is what type of laptop do you want?  They run from the
> ultra-thin range (Vaio R505, Dell Inspiron 2100) to "desktop
> replacements", e.g. Dell Inspiron 8000/Latitude C800.
>
> Just as a data point, we just bought a Latitude C800 to use for portable
> data processing -- 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 15" screen that does 1600x1200,
> mini-PCI
> ethernet/modem combo, ATI Rage Mobility M4 video.  It is a *big* beast,
> but it's also very, very nice.
>
> I was amazed at how much worked out of the box with an ftp install of
> RH 7.1 -- network (obviously), sound, X (with minor tweaking) all just
> worked.  I think the modem is a winmodem, though, which is something
> to watch out for.

Dell has an option of getting Red Hat preinstalled on some of its Latitude
models.

I currently and running Mandrake 8.0 on a Latitude CPx (P3 - 450 MHz, 128
Mb RAM).  Make sure you either don't get a WinModem, or get one that works
with Linux (like the Lucent ones).

I also have a C-Port II docking station that works real nice.

--
Charles E. Hill
Artek New Media

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aha152x
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:59:12 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Short Version:
>
> I can't use my scsi zip drive because aha152x.o won't insert!
>

> Long Version:
>
> I can't get my SCSI zip drive working under Linux.
> (either 2.2.16 or 2.2.18, haven't tried 2.4 kernels)
>
> - I've widdled my kernel down to a bare minimum.
> - sd_mod and scsi_mod insert fine
> - modprobe aha152x >> logs always suggests I'm using the wrong IRQ
>
> The I/O Port is correct, and the SCSI ID doesn't seem to matter by
> the time of failure. I've tried this with sd_mod/scsi_mod/aha152x all
> as modules, all compiled into the kernel, and some mismatch.
>
> My lilo.conf append line is being read correctly when it's all in the
> kernel. My modules.conf options line is being read correctly when it's
> a modules. Example
>
> alias   scsi_zip aha152x
> options aha152x  aha152x=0x140,9,7
>
> I've tried IRQs 9, 10 and 11 - all with the correct jumpers.
> (11 was a pain, and I can't do 12, so if you give me advice, please
>  remember I'd prefer IRQs 9 or 10.)
>
> I've also tried with all the options on and off: reconnect, parity,
> synchrony, translation. I've even extended the delay from the default
> 100 up to 1000. At least then it takes longer to fail :)
>
> I've searched everywhere, and I have found posts from people with
> similar problems, but none that really help me. Any advice would be
> extremely appreciated...?

I had recently problems with aha1542 driver and the AHA-1542B card. If I
used modprobe aha1542 I got error messages about wrong IO or IRQ. Finally,
it worked if I used modprobe aha1542 aha1542=0x130,11,4,5. After that I had
to compile the driver in the kernel and add append="aha1542=0x130,11,4,5"
in lilo.conf after that it worked.

Maybe your aha152x parameters is wrong, Have you tried:
modprobe aha152X aha152X=0x140,9
(aha152X=IO,irq)
I found it at: http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/trouble.html

Sincerely Yours

Roger

-
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06
RedHat 7.1

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: NVidia almost works but not quite! Help!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:07:21 -0000

I've loaded XFree86 4.0.1 with Mandrake 7.2 and then installed the NVidia
driver for my M64 TNT2 AGP graphics card and it seems to work but the system
keeps coming up with an error about x spawning too fast and disabling for 5
minutes. Other than the X display constantly flicking on and off during
this, it seems to work ok.
Does anyone have any ideas because after months spent to get this far I'm
starting to get depressed!
I've run a script from I think it's Loki that checks that the NVidia drivers
are installed correctly and that says it's fine so what the hell is wrong
with it now!
Please help before I stamp on my graphics card and have to buy an ATI one!

------------------------------

From: Charles E. Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Officejets
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:45:14 GMT

Martin Booth wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> Apologies for the cross-posting, I'm not able to find a specific news
> group. I'm thinking of buying a combined printer scanner and fax
> machine, probably HP, but would like one that I could print from under
> Linux (Redhat 7.*) and scan (though that's not a priority), I'm looking
> at the following machines:
>

> HP OfficeJet Series 710
> HP OfficeJet T45
> HP OfficeJet V40
>
> Has anyone had any experience of these machines, either under linux,
> windows, or as faxes, any information would be gratefully received.
>
> Martin Booth.
>
> P.S. In case of E-mails remove the nospam.

I have the OfficeJet K60xi and it works nicely.  Check out:
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/ for details on which units are supported and
to what degree.

--
Charles E. Hill
Artek New Media

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 8000
Date: 23 May 2001 10:20:53 -0700

Jean-Paul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I was wondering a few things about this laptop.
>
> I see the Inspirion can run RH7.0 as it can come installed on the
> system. Can it also run RH6.2  We have our other systems running on 6.2
> and so would like to keep 6.2.
>
> I am mostly worried about the Pentium III and the Graphic Card(ATI
> Mobility M4 aka ATI Rage 128).
>
> The kernel build would be 2.2.14?
>
> Any clues?
>
> Paul Miller
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm pretty sure you'll need X 4.0.2 or greater for the graphics card.
I don't think RH 6.2 has that, but you could probably find it
somewhere?

--
                        Eric Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                        http://labejb.lks.agilent.com/

------------------------------

From: Traveller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sitecom ISDN TA128 USb
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:50:48 +0200

I am the owner of a Sitecom USB TA 128 USB isdn adapter.
Since the manufactorer does not provide a linux driver for this type
of hardware, I wonder if anyone can help me out.

Tnx in advance and King Regards,
Arjan de Wit,
The Netherlands

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 May 2001 17:58:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Jean-Paul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I see the Inspirion can run RH7.0 as it can come installed on the
>> system. Can it also run RH6.2  We have our other systems running on 6.2
>> and so would like to keep 6.2.
>>
>> I am mostly worried about the Pentium III and the Graphic Card(ATI
>> Mobility M4 aka ATI Rage 128).

The PIII won't be an issue.  See below for more on the video.

>> The kernel build would be 2.2.14?

I strongly suggest upgrading all your RH 6.2 boxen to the errata
kernel, which is 2.2.19.  There are many security issues with the
default 2.2.14 kernel.  Also, please tell me that you're installing
the rest of the security errata...

> I'm pretty sure you'll need X 4.0.2 or greater for the graphics card.
> I don't think RH 6.2 has that, but you could probably find it
> somewhere?

http://www.falsehope.com/ftp-site/home/requested/XFree86/

to be exact.

As an aside, I just put RH 7.1 on a Latitude C800, which is very similar.
A network install worked like a champ, and everything just worked out
of the box (well, except the winmodem of course).  Very nice system.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Matthew Weigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 23 May 2001 14:04:17 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allan Shayer) writes:

> 3com    model number:    3c905c-tx-m
>

> has rj45. there are also combo models with bnc connections

If it has BNC it's not 100Mbit.

> get best prices through cnet comparisons. Retail boxes go for about
> $100. Avlogic had just the nics, get your own manuals and drivers from
> 3com ftp or web sites at 38.75 +shipping about 3 weeks ago.

> Hard to beat 3com. And you said price was not a concern...I own 7 3com
> nics, some bout used years ago. All work, always, and drivers for
> everything witht he nics I bought. SOME 3com nics do not have os2
> drivers, like the home office series.

Sure it is.  Intel.  The DEC 2114x chipset (now also an intel
chipset).  Never heard a bad thing said about them, whereas 3com *can*
be a real PITA (depending on which model number, which revision...).
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer

From: Ricardo da Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech Quickcam Web USB
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:08:10 -0700

Are you talking about Logitech QuickCam Express?
I bought that one, and works fine using qce-ga-0.40a (sourceforge.net)
driver and xawtv in my applications.
It's a USB cam connected to my laptop.
If you need more informations, le'me know.

Ricardo.

------------------------------

From: Huub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Solved
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:14:05 +0200

The problem is solved: the NIC has to be set to another address.

------------------------------

From: "¼u¤Y¦¸­¦, MC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 02:21:45 +0800

I am using Sharp PC-A820, PIII 500, 6GB harddisk, self-upgrade 192M RAM and
a Lucent winmodem. Mandrake 8 works well with it; however, the most severe
problem is that the cursor-pointer of mouse has changed from an arrow to a
large white block instead. Probably, due to the problem of relative
incompatibility of the video card with Linux. (Though XF86 4.0.3 is used!)
Sound card is not supported.

The winmodem has successfully changed into linmodem (modem can be used in
Linux OS). Serving internet is not already a problem.

mc

------------------------------

From: "¼u¤Y¦¸­¦, MC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NeoMagic cursor.....a large block
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 02:28:10 +0800

I am new to Linux. I just installed Mandrake 8 to my notebook computer PIII
500, 192M RAM, 6GB harddisk, Neomagic video and audio chips. However, the
big problem now is that the cursor of mouse pointer changed into a large
white block instead an arrow or an hourglass.

I edited the XF86config file to uncomment the line:

option `sw_cursor'

finally no miracle occured.

Please help me to solve the problem. Thanks.

Mark

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:38:28 -0600
From: Chaos Magickian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM Thinkpad A21m sound config issue

Well, I installed Alsa and I am still getting a problem. Any ideas on
configuring this?

Any help would be much appreciated.