Linux-Hardware Digest #830, Volume #14           Sun, 27 May 01 11:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Help with harddrive errors.... ("Brian Davis")
  Re: About Digital Cameras for Linux? ("Matt O'Toole")
  Re: TV OUT on Asus7100 ? (Marcus)
  voodoo3 under linux (Ting Li)
  Re: EISA vs regular machine for file server (Mail, etc.) (Kenneth Taylor)
  Webmin Raid ("Sharkster")
  SM370DLE & UDMA ("Uskov Alex")
  Re: hard disk headache (Chris Elvidge)
  Re: Resize the swap file? (Chris Elvidge)
  Re: US Robotics 3CP5610A Modem Problem ("arthur")
  Re: SM370DLE & UDMA (jurriaan kalkman)
  Re: Webmin Raid (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: voodoo3 under linux (Michael Heiming)
  Re: ps/1 and 286 ... any possibilities for a minimal version of linux? ("Florian
Schmidt")
  ZIP drive (ferrante)
  Sound cuts off in Xwin and stalls (LRW)
  Re: Tape, Travans and Misery ("kevin bailey")
  Support for winmodem in Linux ("Zardal")
  Re: ZIP drive ("bowman")
  Re: Seeking recommendation for CDRW (Jay Ts)
  Re: Support for winmodem in Linux (DanH)
  Re: Support for winmodem in Linux (Topaz_Crow)
  Please read... ("psy")
  Re: Resize the swap file? ("Brian Davis")

From: "Brian Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux
Subject: Help with harddrive errors....
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 03:40:33 GMT

Hi,

I have an older harddrive that I'm trying to use as a swap partition with
Linux.  I'm having trouble getting it to work however.  The following is
what I get on boot:

May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel:  hdb:hdb: read_intr: status=0x65 {
DriveReady DeviceFault CorrectedError Error }
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
DriveStatusError }
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: ide0: reset: success
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: hdb: status error: status=0x58 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x65 {
DriveReady DeviceFault CorrectedError Error }
May 20 10:36:12 h00104bce1155 kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
DriveStatusError }

Any ideas what could be causing these messages.  I'm certain that the drive
works because I just took it out of a RedHat 7.0 system prior to putting it
in this machine.

Thanks,
Brian

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About Digital Cameras for Linux?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 20:43:39 -0700

"Frank Hahn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I just bought a Canon PowerShot G1 a few weeks back and I have been
> happy with it.  I bought it locally and paid US $828.00 for it.
>
> I have been able to download pictures from it via the USB cable that
> came with the camera.  It also uses CompactFlash media.  I bought a
> Sandisk SDDR-31 reader and was able to download pictures from the
> memory card via the Sandisk device.  I currently have the 2.2.19
> kernel installed on a Slackware 7.1 system.
>
> There are plenty of reviews out there on the camera.  It is a 3.4
> megapixel camera.  The only thing I don't like is that Canon got cheap
> on the cover the covers the openings on where the cables connect to
> the camera.  That is why I bought the Sandisk device.  I will only
> need to open that cover when I charge the battery.
>
> The camera comes with a 16MB memory card that will hold about 45
> pictures at 1024x768 at the medium compression.  It will also use the
> IBM Microdrives.  It also comes with the battery charger which the
> Nikon Coolpix cameras that I looked at didn't.
>
> I don't know about the Webcamera requirement that you have listed
> though.  It does do video with sound but is limited to 30 seconds at a
> time.  I don't know why that is.
>
> If you have questions, let me know.

Frank,

I'm also very interested in this camera.  One thing, can you read the CCDraw
file format with Linux?  I like to save in non-lossy file formats like
.tiff, but Canon uses their own and I don't know if it can be accessed by
Linux.  BTW, it's a realy cool format, much smaller than .tiff.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV OUT on Asus7100 ?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:15:50 -0700

Niclas Knuts wrote:

> Is it possible to use the TV-OUT option on an Asus7100 AGP card with
> Redhat 7.0 ?
>
> /Nicce

        Probably.  The newest nVidia drivers (the 1.0 drivers) which just
came out say something about supporting TV-out.  If you go to their website,
I'm sure they have RedHat 7.0 RPMs.  Also look for documentation on how to
enable TV-out.  It's probably in a README file somewhere in the Linux Drivers
section of their site.

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: Ting Li<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.graphics.misc
Subject: voodoo3 under linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:03:45 -0500

Hi.  Could anyone give me pointers on how to configure voodoo3 under
X 3.36 and 2.2x kernel?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,redhat
Subject: Re: EISA vs regular machine for file server (Mail, etc.)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 04:02:53 GMT

If one has nothing but ISA - use the EISA.

Preferably if one has PCI that is the one to use.

For the EISA, did you get the EISA configuration disk?
If not and you have EISA cards you'll need the configuration
utility and the configuration files for the devices (motherboard maybe
also,
it depends on the BIOS and who manufactured it).
If the EISA CMOS gets cleared or the motherboard battery goes dead,
the EISA cards are useless and you'll have to use the ISA or PCI that's
on the board instead.

I would guess that the EISA one has a EISA SCSI host adapter?

For a server (even for home) your going to need a fast bus

------------------------------

From: "Sharkster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Webmin Raid
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:27:02 -0500

Im running LM 8 with twin 30gig IDES on a ata100 card. In webmin Ive used
the RAID tools to create a RAID Linear to the 2nd drive. Read ahead is at
1024 sectors with 64k chunked. Ive run cat /proc/mdstat and it still shows
300009280 blocks 64k rounding. Do I need to go back into the webmin raid and
click on the raid it just made and create an ext2filesystem or will the
second drive fill after the first is filled?

Im lost at this point. Can anyone help me out here

Thanks,
Sharkster
61517946

From: "Uskov Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SM370DLE & UDMA
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:40:59 +0400

Can't use UDMA2 at SM370DLE under Linux RedHat6.0
kernel 2.2.5-15.
The only mode available is mdma2.
Is there any remedy?

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hard disk headache
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:32:58 +0400

Paul wrote:

> Hi,
> My hard disk is making sounds of ticking and dying, and then my PC freezes
> and then the disk makes a sound of accelerating and my PC unfreezes.
> Not really a Linux problem because it happens under Windows too.
> Here are some lines from /var/log/warn
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady Seek
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady Seek
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady Seek
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: hda: multwrite_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError
> May  9 23:01:43 earth kernel: ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd1, count=1
>
> May 24 17:53:29 earth kernel: ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x80, count=1
> May 24 17:53:59 earth kernel: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0x80
> May 24 17:53:59 earth kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
> May 24 17:53:59 earth kernel: ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x80, count=2
> May 24 17:53:59 earth kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
> May 24 17:54:00 earth kernel: ide0: reset: success
>
> Here is the output of hdparm -I
>
>  Model=UQNAUT MIFERABLLS 6T4. A                , FwRev=0A.F8000, SerialNo=51769265
>  Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
>  RawCHS=13328/15/63, TrkSize=32256, SectSize=512, ECCbytes=4
>  BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=81kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
>  DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
>  CurCHS=13328/15/63, CurSects=12594960, LBA=yes, LBAsects=12594960
>  tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: sword0 sword1 sword2 mword0 mword1 *mword2
>  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
>
> So it's a Quantum Fireball ST6.4 A. That UQNAUT etc was there before
> this trouble started.
>
> So, can my hard disk be saved? How long will it continue to work?

I don't know whether your HD can be "saved", but the UQNAUT etc. is
quite normal. Check with hdparm -iI The -I byteswaps the drive ID and
serial number (or perhaps the -i does). Check the connections. Get a new
hard disk. Copy the relevant partitions/files (old to new) in single
mode.

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Resize the swap file?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:43:33 +0400

Liam Watts wrote:

> I've been monitoring my swap file, and it almost never gets over 5%
> used.
> I have 128 MB RAM and 250 MB swap file. That's a lot of unused HD space
> I'd like to get back.
>
> Is there a way to resize that partition and reapply the space to the
> root partition? Or at least take a chunk of it as another partition?
>
> Thanks for any assistance!!
>
> Liam

Single mode. Swapoff. Fdisk. Delete swap partition. New patritions size
x and 250-x. Make one type 83, other 82. Write and quit. mkswap
/dev/hd{whatever}. Swapon. Reboot. makefs /dev/hd{otherwhatever}.

------------------------------

From: "arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics 3CP5610A Modem Problem
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:56:39 -0700

In article <9eclkk$s20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "tszeto"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having some trouble getting online through my modem.
>
> I just bought a US Robotics 3CP5610A PCI Modem and used the following
> command to get it working: "setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 11 port 0xb400
> autoconfig"
>
> Then I use KPPP to connect to my ISP and it seems like it's working. But
> when use my browser or my email program to try to connect, I get server
> not found.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted

I have the oem version of the 3cp5610 modem and it works great.

I suggest that you do not use autoconfig with setserial.  I had problems
with it.  Instead use:  uart 16550a   I also suggest that you use
/dev/ttyS3 since few computers have a COM4.  Also, use:
setserial -b /dev/ttySn as your 2nd command to display the results of
your 1st setserial command. (n = the device number you used)

When I was a Mindspring customer I found them to be Linux friendly.
I am sure that they will give you the correct DNS(s) to use with kppp.
Try contacting them.  There should be 2 DNS addresses since one is
usually a backup.  Enter them in the order that they list them to
avoid unnecessary overhead.

Arthur (remove .remove for email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jurriaan kalkman)
Subject: Re: SM370DLE & UDMA
Date: 27 May 2001 07:11:16 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 22:40:59 +0400, Uskov Alex
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can't use UDMA2 at SM370DLE under Linux RedHat6.0
> kernel 2.2.5-15.
> The only mode available is mdma2.
> Is there any remedy?

Since that kernel is now what, one year old?, the remedy is
simple: upgrade. To 2.2.19 or 2.4.5, whatever you like best.

Jurriaan
--
I never deny, I never contradict. I sometimes forget.
        Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Webmin Raid
Date: 27 May 2001 11:34:58 +0300

"Sharkster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Im running LM 8 with twin 30gig IDES on a ata100 card. In webmin Ive used
> the RAID tools to create a RAID Linear to the 2nd drive. Read ahead is at
> 1024 sectors with 64k chunked. Ive run cat /proc/mdstat and it still shows
> 300009280 blocks 64k rounding. Do I need to go back into the webmin raid and
> click on the raid it just made and create an ext2filesystem or will the
> second drive fill after the first is filled?

No, if I understood your message correctly your _first_ drive isn't
part of the linear RAID, only the second one. You need to make _both_
your drives part of the RAID array to make it work at all.

--
        Markku Kolkka

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 11:23:28 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: voodoo3 under linux

Ting Li wrote:

> Hi.  Could anyone give me pointers on how to configure voodoo3 under
> X 3.36 and 2.2x kernel?  Thanks.
Which vooddo?

I had 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI working with Xfree 3.? with the
SVGA driver, but some fiddling with XF86config was necessary.

Now I run 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 AGP, with Xfree 4.0 and tdfx driver,
it worked out of the box (SuSE 7.0).

So updating to Xfree 4.x would be the easiest way for you.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Florian Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ps/1 and 286 ... any possibilities for a minimal version of linux?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:26:11 +0200

In article <9ep54s$7lg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "J. P. Montgomery"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm thinking that linux only starts with 386 architectures, so I expect
> this to be null answer ... but worth a try!

yes, linux is a protected mode os.. so it needs at least a 386 (the 286
knows something about protected mode, but not enough)

> Any good uses ... or just donate it to charity?

u could put minix on it..

--
florian schmidt

------------------------------

From: ferrante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZIP drive
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:20:31 -0400

Hi!
I owe an Iomega paralell port 100Mb ZIP drive and I've got some problems
accessing from Mandrake 8. I've compiled my kernel with SCSI support (disk
and generic, as modules), the Iomega paralell port drive (old) and paralell
port support (IEEE 1284 mode).
When I try to mount it I get a 'I can't find the device' error. I've tried
with the Iomega tool iw and I get a similar error, but the drive keeps
mounted! I mean, I can eject the disk (I can't access to their content
anyway).
I have a HP Deskjet printer connected through the drive, and it works.
Any idea?
Best regards

Ferrante

------------------------------

From: LRW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Sound cuts off in Xwin and stalls
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 07:53:08 -0500

Having a problem with my Turtle Beach Montego (AU8820) where after
playing one or two wav's in KDE, the sound will stall and no longer play
anything until the next reboot.

When that happens, I'll "ps wux" and see if anything's using the sound
and kill it, but that doesn't make any difference.

Anyone else have that problem, or know a work around?
I have the latest AU8820 driver I could find and using RH6.2 with k:
2.2.14*

Thanks!
Liam

------------------------------

From: "kevin bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.dev.tape
Subject: Re: Tape, Travans and Misery
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:57:47 +0100

hi,

i have a similar tape drive - but i don't like the idea of emulating
SCSI.  apparently the ide-tape support in any kernel up to 2.2.17 was
faulty.  i have upgraded my kernel to 2.4.4 and now i don't get the same
input/output errors.  there is a program called taper which comes as
standard with mandrake (7.2) and this works with the tape drive ok as
long as you invoke it with

taper -T ide

i seem to have a glitch on my tape because the verify shows that one of
the backed
up files is different from the original.  what i am looking
for now is an app to check the tape - and if possible to format it so
that any faulty bits of tape do not get used.  any ideas gratefully
received,

kevin bailey

------------------------------

From: "Zardal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Support for winmodem in Linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:50:18 +0300

Hi,
I have a Creative Modem-Blaster 56K, Internal PCI (DI5655). Is there
a Linux driver for this modem (I didn't find one at www.modemblaster.com)?
If not, are there any 56K internal PCI winmodems with Linux drivers?

Thanks,
Chaim.

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP drive
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:02:32 -0600

"ferrante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9eqram$3ei$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I owe an Iomega paralell port 100Mb ZIP drive and I've got some problems
> accessing from Mandrake 8.

maybe you are trying too hard. first, try 'ls /mnt/zip'. if that doesn't,
try 'cat /etc/fstab' and look for an entry with '.......  supermount
........ /dev/zip' to see where Mandrake is putting it.

then, try 'man supermount'

if all this fails, remember that Zip drives are fixed at '4', as in 'sda4',
not the 'sda1' you might expect.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Ts)
Subject: Re: Seeking recommendation for CDRW
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:22:04 GMT

On Sat, 26 May 2001 19:31:09 GMT, Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Any suggestions on what IDE or SCSI CDRW to get that works out-of-the-box
>with RH 7.1?

I like the Plextor drives.  I have a Plexwriter 8432 (8x4x32) and it
works great.  This is an IDE drive, and there are instructions on
how to configure it on Linux to look like a SCSI drive.  Maybe that's
not what you'd call "out-of-the-box", but if it's too complicated,
you'll need a SCSI drive.

- Jay Ts
--
http://jayts.cx - Linux Consulting, System Administration and Programming.

To be o' not t'be, dat be de bottom line.  What it is, Mama!
        - output of 'fortune | jive'

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Support for winmodem in Linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:26:37 -0400

Zardal wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Creative Modem-Blaster 56K, Internal PCI (DI5655). Is there
> a Linux driver for this modem (I didn't find one at www.modemblaster.com)?
> If not, are there any 56K internal PCI winmodems with Linux drivers?

Try here:
http://linmodems.org/

DanH
--
Air Cav Reference Board
http://www.cavalrypilot.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz_Crow)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:21:24 GMT

On Sun, 27 May 2001 16:50:18 +0300, Zardal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a Creative Modem-Blaster 56K, Internal PCI (DI5655). Is there
>a Linux driver for this modem (I didn't find one at www.modemblaster.com)?
>If not, are there any 56K internal PCI winmodems with Linux drivers?

I don't think so.  You would be better off spending $40.00 on
a hardware ISA modem.  It would be faster than your PCI anyway since
winmodems use system resources to operate.

--
Topaz Crow
No replies by email, sorry.

------------------------------

From: "psy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please read...
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:50:44 -0400

Hi!

Since I am new to Linux, please be patient with me.  I have had problems
with Linux recognizing my two ethernet cards since I got the message "failed
to bringing up interface eth0".

My first ethernet card is a D-Link DFE-530tx + PCI adapter and my second one
is a Realtek rtl8139(A) pci fast ethernet.

What I did is the following: I went on D-Link website (through windows) and
downloaded a driver for Linux which is an executable (I installed it on a
floppy disk).  Happy with that, I went back on Linux, KDE, double clicked on
a: drive and double clicked on the file.  Then, nothing happened...  Back to
square one!!

In a previous message I got some advise such as "activate driver with
"kudzu"", etc.  Now, since I know nothing about Linux, how do I activate
that?  And how can I install this D-Link driver?

Also, when I double clicked on "linux config" I got this message "couldn't
execute /usr/bin/kdesu"/sbin/linuxconf" Please install the linuxconf
package".  I have with me 5 cds.  The first two is intall, the third one is
called "source", the fourth one is "powertools" and 5th one is
"documentation".  I have to confess that I went through the documentation
but was quite hard to understand...

Again, many thanks for your patience.  I sincerely appreciate your help...

--
Daniel
Visitez mon site Web!!

From: "Brian Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:57:51 GMT

There's no way to put that reclaimed space in the root partition, is there?

Thanks,
Brian

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...