Linux-Hardware Digest #831, Volume #9            Thu, 25 Mar 99 11:13:43 EST

Contents:
  Re: Auto-shutdown in Linux? (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: Adaptec Array1000SA (AAA-131SA) RAID controller? (Arco Witter)
  Re: Are there any supported label printers under linux? ("Amaury JACQUOT [BILL]")
  How To Configure WinTV 404 With Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: driver needed for netelligent card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Q: Linux & MVP3 chipset OK? ("Core Dump")
  modem so slo... (Burke Martin)
  Re: modem so slo... (LETOT Rémi)
  Re: 10/100 generic NIC cards. (Michael Corral)
  Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a! DO NOT READ THIS! (Rez)
  linux on an NEC 340T (ben)
  Re: Warning abour AOpen Motherbards and linux (Greg White)
  Watchdog Timer (Pieter van Beek)
  Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive... ("John L. Barthle Jr.")
  zoom fc9624v modem support ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: home lan/server advice (Michael Meissner)
  Re: modem so slo... (Nigel Stratton)
  Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount? (**Nick Brown)
  Re: XF86 and ThinkPad 560 (Roger Williams)
  Re: SCSI tape timeout problem ("Georg Linde")
  Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a!  DO NOT READ THIS! (Franc Zabkar)
  Re: onboard AIC-7895 stops working under 2.2.x (Ulrich Leodolter)
  Re: Booting from big disks ( 22 GB) (**Nick Brown)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: Auto-shutdown in Linux?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 03:11:44 GMT

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:43:01 -0800, roboted wrote:
>Does anybody know how to have Linux shut down (power-off) an ATX
>computer on a halt command?

Compile in the APM support into your current kernel and enable APM
from BIOS setup.

If you've kernel > 2.2.X, you need to do a 'halt -p' at run level 0.
If you've RH 5.2, add '-p' at the following line:

command="halt" -> command="halt -p"

--
|R|Mohd H Misnan | [EMAIL PROTECTED] : [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |i|
|H|Mac OS 8.5.1 &| http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arco Witter)
Subject: Re: Adaptec Array1000SA (AAA-131SA) RAID controller?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:20:52 GMT

I have exactly the same problem with a Promise Fasttrak card - you
have to request a new boot/supp disk-image from your provider (but, of
cause, they do not have it so, you cannot install Linux, just as I
cannot!)

Well, maybe in the future when there ARE drivers for Linux we will be
able to install. Don't forget: this is only problem number 1 of the
installation (think about motherboard, graphics card, PCTV card, 3d
accellerator, sound card, and so on)

------------------------------

From: "Amaury JACQUOT [BILL]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are there any supported label printers under linux?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:50:44 +0000

Usually, professionnal devices like label printers are given with much
more docs than commercial stuff

--
NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, and all nonsolicited commercial e-mail sent to

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How To Configure WinTV 404 With Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 05:16:21 GMT

I've got a WinTV 404 card I would like to use under Linux.  I have version
2.2.4 of the Kernel installed.  What options do I need to use when loading the
modules for the tv card (i.e. bttv.o, tuner.o, etc.).  Please email me any
suggestions at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: driver needed for netelligent card
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:15:54 GMT

Hello,

During installation you cannot configure the NIC. Therefore after complete
installation follow the procedure given below.

1. Execute the command "insmod tlan" at the prompt. 2. Execute the command
"netconf" at the prompt. 3. Configure the NIC by selecting the "Basic Host
Information option" and entering the IP Address, Netmask, Net device as eth0
and Kernal as tlan. 4. Select the "Gateway and routing" option from main menu
and fill in the detail of Gateway address and without fail enable the Gateway
option. 5. Accept the changes and exit from utility. 6. If you are installing
Redhat Linux 5.0 or 5.1 add the line "insmod tlan" in
/etc/rc.d/init/d/network. 7. To confirm about the configuration execute the
command "ifconfig -a" which will display the details of your NIC configured.

Regards

From: "Core Dump" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: Linux & MVP3 chipset OK?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:34:23 -0800

Hi:

     I want to install RedHat 5.2 on my system, which is a K6-2 with FIC
VA-503+ MB.  Will there be any problem?  My main concern is the VIA MVP3
chipset on my MB.

Thanks !

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:51:34 -0500
From: Burke Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem so slo...

I have redhat 5.1 installed and i usually just use that machine for
writing perl scripts so the modem never gets a whole lot of use. Well
when i tried it the other day it was really really slow. So slow that i
had the chat script timer at 300 and it still didnt have time to make a
connection. Its a Xoom modem that came with it used so other than it
being 56k i cant say a whole lot about it. It connects and it looks like
it connects at a high speed but it just doesnt wanna work. Even using
minicom its like this. ive messed a lil bit with 'setserial' but i
havent found anything that says what i need so this is my last resort.
Ive never heard of this nor do i know how to go about diagnosing this
problem anymore than i have. If anyone has a suggestion id love to hear
it.

Thanks
Burke

------------------------------

From: LETOT Rémi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem so slo...
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:37:10 +0100

You should read the Serial-HOWTO. They say many things about modem
connections.
Also, have you configured ppp for high speed ? (It's difficult to help
you without more information about what your configuration is like, ...)

- Rémi -

------------------------------

From: Michael Corral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10/100 generic NIC cards.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 05:37:28 GMT

Rod Prather wrote:

> Bought some cheap Generic 10-100 NIC cards.  Alll jumperless.   Anyone have
> experience with these or should I get a better card.

A lot of these are NE2000 compatible, in which case it will work under
Linux. The one I got came with a DOS setup program on floppy, I just
booted from a DOS boot floppy, put in the NIC setup floppy and ran the
configuration utility. After I rebooted, Linux found the card (of course
I compiled NE2000 support into the kernel).

Hope this helps.

Michael Corral

From: Rez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a! DO NOT READ THIS!
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:54:33 GMT

> I have used an optical mouse from MouseSystems for years.
> However, the one I have is NOT well supported under Windows.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> Mool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <7ctla7$pt6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Why don't these mice ever work right?!!!!!!!!!!!!   I have tried other
> > mice too, what is the secret to having a mouse that rolls perfectly
> > with minimal pressure?
> >
> > Is it the mousepad?  My mouse is clean BTW.  Is it the ball inside?
> >
> > WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING A MOUSE TO WORK PERFECTLY AND RESPOND WITH
> > MINIMAL PRESSURE?

Depends on the mouse. I use a 10 year old BSR mouse that is so sensitive
that less than 1/4" of motion sends the cursor all the way across the screen!
I love it, once I got used to it. I've also got a much newer Logitech
that has to be moved about 4" to get the same results. MUCH harder on the
wrist. Guess which one got relegated to the workbench :)

On a recommendation from a premiere mouser in the DOOM community,
I tried using a piece of glass as a mousepad (actually it's an old
12" glarescreen). It works better than any mousepad you ever saw,
but has to be kept absolutely clean, as does the mouseball. As a
good 2nd choice, try a piece of plexiglass.

~REZ~

From: ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: linux on an NEC 340T
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:49:04 -0500

Hey folks,
I bought myself a NEC 340T two nights ago for about 1400 bucks, and that
same night installed SuSE Linux 5.3 on it.  I just had a couple of
questions..A)  what irq, dma, whatever is the sound card on? from what
i've read the soundcard does in fact work fine under linux. and B) was
the pcmcia card it came with a winmodem?  If it's not could anyone
direct me to instruction on how to set it up? I've already read the
pcmcia howto and searched deja news, as well as checked the linux laptop
page.
Thanks much :)
ben

------------------------------

From: Greg White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning abour AOpen Motherbards and linux
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:22:03 -0800

Rod Roark wrote:

> HeyZeus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >This is a trasncript of a "conversation" between myself and AOpen in taiwan.
> >The origin of the matter began when my RedHat system using an AOpen AX6BC
> >started to power off on its own during long periods of inactivity(weekends).
> [snipped]]
>
> Sounds related to the BIOS Power Management settings.  What do you
> have them set to?

You have snipped the part where the original poster states that this is
_turned off_. Sounds like a serious BIOS bug to me...

GW

SNIP

------------------------------

From: Pieter van Beek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Watchdog Timer
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:19:29 +0100

For my server I'd like to buy a WatchDog Timer Card. Any suggestions?
The cards supported are The Berkshire ISA-card and the Industrial
Computer Source WDT500/501 PCI cards, so I looked at their web sites,
but thay won't tell you much (regarding Linux, that is).

Is there anyone with experience on the use of any of these cards?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "John L. Barthle Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive...
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:01:59 -0500

    Upgrade the kernel to 2.0.36 or higher, during the config script turn
on IDE FLOPPY support.  I was having the same problem as you were until I
upgraded. Once the kernel supports it, the drive is /dev/hd(x)4 mounted on
/mnt/zip (which you will have to create).  I believe the x is dependent on
the ide channel it's on.  For example, my zip drive is hdd4 because it is
set to secondary slave. Good luck and email me if you need any help.

                                                                    John
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: zoom fc9624v modem support ?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:51:35 GMT

Greetings my guardian angels on the net!

  Know how to get Zoom FC9624v internal fax-modem card (ISA) working in Linux
? Thanks in advance.

regards,
shyam ....

Subject: Re: home lan/server advice
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Mar 1999 23:53:43 -0500

Willow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 1) Am I correct to assume that on-board SCSI will be faster than a PCI
> card? If so, can someone recommend a good one, I'd prefer to go ahead
> and spring for Ultra 2 Wide.

No, I believe an onboard SCSI should be the same speed as the PCI version.  I'm
not as familar with Ultra2, but in the Ultra-wide world, the TekRam DC-390F has
been a real fine SCSI controller and low cost (~ $80).  I believe the TekRam
DC-390U2 is supported by the latest kernels.  According to Pricewatch CDR
express had them for $172.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PO Box 98, Ayer Massachusetts, USA 01432-0098

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:57:29 -0500
From: Nigel Stratton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The modem HOW-TO talks about deadly slow modems. IRQ mis-matches and so on.

Might find something there.

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:05:58 +0100

First of all I'd recommend reading /usr/doc/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO, which
does more or less that, but with a bit more explanation !

Jim Ross wrote:
> This is basically a script I use.
> Jim

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.x
From: Roger Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XF86 and ThinkPad 560
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:25:37 GMT

  > I'm trying to get XF86 3.3.3 up on my Thinkpad 560 (model
  > 2640-20U) and I'm havine a hell of a time getting it working in
  > 800x600. I know it uses the Trident Cyber 9382 chipset, which I
  > can't find jack on...

I had Linux running fine for several years on my 560 (2640-20U) until
I replaced it with a 560X (which is also grand) and handed it down to
a sibling.  I'm pretty sure that I set it up with some hints from Dean
Gaudet <http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/tp560/>.

I also found this XF86Config on a backup, which I'm pretty sure was my
working version:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol    "Standard"
    AutoRepeat  500 5
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout 50
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "ThinkPad"
    VendorName  "IBM"
    ModelName   "560"

    HorizSync   25-79
    VertRefresh 20-76
    Modeline    "640x480" 28.32 640 664 760 800    480 491 493 525
    ModeLine    "800x600" 28.32 800 808 1024 1040  600 600 626 640 +hsync +vsyn
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "GUI"
    VendorName  "Trident"
    BoardName   "9385"
    Option      "noaccel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "svga"
    VendorName  "ibm"
    BoardName   "bar"
    Chipset     "generic"
    ClockChip   "tgui"
    VideoRam    1024
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "GUI"
    Monitor     "ThinkPad"
    Subsection  "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "640x400"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "VGA16"
    Device      "svga"
    Monitor     "ThinkPad"
    SubSection  "Display"
        Depth       4
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Roger Williams                         finger me for my PGP public key
Coelacanth Engineering Inc    consulting & turnkey product development

------------------------------

From: "Georg Linde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI tape timeout problem
Date: 25 Mar 1999 08:35:04 GMT

You are seeing a SCSI bus reset. This propably indicates that there is
something fishy in your SCSI chain. But I do not have a thorough
understanding as to what can cause a bus reset. It happens for instance when
the SCSI command queue overflows (more than 255 commands). This can be
caused by too many parity errors or extremely heavy use for instance. The
latter one I think I have only seen once on a web server that used the disk
subsystem very excessively on an inadequate controller.

Maybe someone else here could shed some light on the issue of bus resets.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Franc Zabkar)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:41:49 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:16:32 GMT, Mool put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>Why don't these mice ever work right?!!!!!!!!!!!!   I have tried other mice
>too, what is the secret to having a mouse that rolls perfectly with minimal
>pressure?
>
>Is it the mousepad?  My mouse is clean BTW.  Is it the ball inside?
>
>WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING A MOUSE TO WORK PERFECTLY AND RESPOND WITH
>MINIMAL PRESSURE?

Throw your $3 rodent in the trash. Get yourself an optical mouse, or
Honeywell ball-less mouse instead.

-- Franc Zabkar

Please remove one 'e' from my address when replying by email.

------------------------------

From: Ulrich Leodolter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: onboard AIC-7895 stops working under 2.2.x
Date: 25 Mar 1999 09:42:34 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I've a dual PII motherboard with onboard Adaptec AIC-7895 Bios v1.32
> controller. I've had no problems with it under 2.0.36 on a stock RH 5.2
> system,
> but I'm unable to get it to work under 2.2.4.
>
> I built the 2.2.4 kernel under the 2.0.36 system, turning on support for
> the AIC-7895,
> keeping the reset time at 5 seconds, do NOT probe all LUNs for all SCSI
> adapters.
>
> The new kernel boots from the hard drive, via LILO, and then:
>         .
>         .
> (scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 12/0
> (scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code. . . 404 instructions downloaded
> (scsi1) <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 12/1
> (scsi1) Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
> (scsi1) Downloading sequencer code. . .  404 instructions downloaded.
> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.2/3.2.4
>             <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
> scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.2/3.2.4
>             <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
> scsi : 2 hosts.
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
> lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
> Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: XP34550W   Rev: LYK8
> Type:    Direct-Access   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 2, sci0, channel 0, id 1, lun
> 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> And there we sit, forever.  Nothing is plugged into channel B on the
> motherboard.  I have
> the SCSI BIOS set to automatic termination, and the termination jumper
> on the drive is
> on, too. What am I missing???
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> C Grayce

I have the same problem with ASUS Dual PII300, 440LX, AIC-7880U.
Only one IBM disk installed, terminator enabled.  It works with
2.0.35 single processor kernel, but doesn't with 2.2.4 smp kernel.

kernel or hardware or smp problem ?

--
 Ulrich Leodolter

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting from big disks ( 22 GB)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:01:12 +0100

The problem is generally in the ability of the BIOS to talk about a boot
image in the first 1024 cylinders, or 8 GB.  In any case it's a lousy
idea to have one huge partition, unless you REALLY enjoy long
backup/restore cycles.