On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Guenter Roeck <li...@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 11:11 PM, Andrea Merello wrote:

>>> Overall looks good. One thing I noticed, though: In the log function
>>> calls,
>>> you use a mix of priv->dev and &client->dev as log device. Also, you
>>> sometimes
>>> use &priv->client->dev even when a local client variable is available.
>>> I can fix up the latter (no need to resend for that), but please have a
>>> look at the overall use and either send a fixed up version or let me know
>>> if the log devices are all intentional as-is.
>>

>> Hmm, you are right: there is a bit of mess here. It's not intentional
>> indeed..
>>
>> I gave a look to lm90.c and lm63.c; it seems no one uses the hwmon
>> device for this purpose. We can probably stick to &client->dev or
>> &priv->client->dev when a local client variable is not already
>> available.
>

> It is really your call as the driver's author to make if you want to use
> the hwmon device or &client->dev.

I've decided to stick with &client->dev for all dev_dbg(), while I
would use the hwmon device for dev_notice() and dev_warn(), that are
supposed to be eventually read by the user.

However, while keeping an eye on the log messages I've realized that
if the temperature remains out-of-limit for a lot of time, especially
if the conversion rate is set fast, we tend to spam the log with alert
messages.. I learned that you are usually concerned by noisy drivers,
so I guess you might want to mitigate this..

I could use dev_notice_once(), but it seems inappropriate here, or I
can silence the message at least until one reads the chip. Lm90 does
even disable the alarm until that happen, but it has only one alarm;
here we have two, so it seems not correct here.

Any suggestion?