On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 07:41:34AM -0400, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 10/01/10 12:46, Samu Onkalo wrote:
> > Add optional blockread function to interface driver. If available
> > the chip driver uses it for data register access. For 12 bit device
> > it reads 6 bytes to get 3*16bit data. For 8 bit device it reads out
> > 5 bytes since every second byte is dummy.
> > This optimizes bus usage and reduces number of operations and
> > interrupts needed for one data update.
>
> Do we need to query if the i2c bus supports block reading or are they
> all guaranteed to do so?

Not really. It may be true that block reads happen to be supported on
all i2c controllers used on all boards using this chip, but that
is pretty much a coincidence.

> I'm guessing not seeing as i2c.h has a functionality bit for it...
> I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_READ_BLOCK_DATA
>
> Otherwise looks good.  Either justify that all i2c buses will work
> or add the functionality check and you can add.

Should really have the check. And, for completeness, the driver should
check if BYTE_DATA is supported as well. Besides, adding the check
seems to be much less effort than trying to explain why it isn't needed.

Guenter