Just a quick note on the SX4 Card - I have seen data corruption on hard-drives too in the simplest possible setup, so I'd stay clear of that card until further notice.

Mine is sitting in a cupboard right now, awaiting 'someone' (me, if I get some time to learn low-level kernel drivers) debugging the issue.

Basically, accessing two drives via this card causes corruption, I had it working ok when I only accessed 1 drive, which is kinda pointless...

:)J

Ryan Bourgeois wrote:
Danny Cox wrote:

    I've been mostly lurking here for awhile now, just seeing how things
are going.  I've seen various drives on a blacklist, and various
controllers that do this or that well, but have problems doing foo.
There also seem to have been a Strange Interaction as well, but that's a
fuzzy memory at best.

    So, my question is: if YOU were to purchase an SATA setup brand new,
what would you specify?  Which drives, motherboards, and PCI cards would
you recommend that just work?

    I don't even mean "work like a Mercedes", by which I mean almost
perfection.  I mean like a Chevy.  I don't mind a little tinkering to
get it right, but I want my disk subsystem to be solid thereafter!  I've
got important stuff here!  Like my wife's backup; NEVER lose your wife's
backup (shudder)!

    If SATA isn't ready for consumerdom, I'd like to know that too.  This
just isn't for Jeff and Bart either.  I'd like to hear success stories
from those whose systems just hum along all the time!

    Thanks in advance!

On my file server I run the Highpoint RocketRAID 1640. It's a software RAID five card. Basically it's just a PCI card with two HPT374 chips each with two SATA plugs (a total of four plugs). So it's a no frills PATA card with SATA converters onboard. I run three Western Digital 120gb SATA drives on it with a Linux Software RAID 5 array on them. Aside from the fact that it's a PATA card at heart (so it doesn't use libata), my only complaint is that it's slow. It's stable as a rock, though, I've had no problems with the card or drives.

I have a Promise SX4 that I tried. I had those same three drives connected to it, but I was having some problems with the array when I was using it. It had a tendency to corrupt the filesystem, for some reason. I was having other problems at the time, though, so it could be unrelated to the card I was using. If I get time and money I may try and set up an array on the card for testing.

Anyways, out of personal preference, I go with Western Digital hard drives. For SATA cards, the Promise TX cards seem pretty reliable. I have an onboard TX2 on my main machine running a WD Raptor. I've had absolutely no problems with it and libata. Or in Windows, for that matter.

I haven't used any other cards or drives, so I cannot offer anything in that direction.

-Ryan Bourgeois