Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Polling PMP 2.6.24 is completely unacceptable.  It screws the 2.6.24 SAS
> driver releases out of PMP.

Not merging PMP has about the same effect for SAS, right?

> I pulled your last PMP patchset, and will now endeavor to fix the API
> prior to 2.6.24 merge window opening.

I have a preliminary patch.  The patch is pretty simple too.  I'll
submit after some testing but I'm not sure whether doing this right
before the merge window is a good idea.  I'd prefer not to support PMP
on SAS for 2.6.24.

> Linux high level message-submit / message-complete APIs should never
> _require_ polling, even if its 100% polling under the hood.  There are
> far too many cases in the field where you don't have direct access to
> hardware registers to poll.  Or such polling would interfere with the
> operation of other ports.  Or any of a myriad of other reasons.

I don't think that's true for actual ATA controllers but, for SAS,
probably true.  Is the frozen reset mechanism a headache too for SAS?

Thanks.

--
tejun