If one disregards the rotational speed and access time advantage that SAS drives have over SATA, does the SAS interface offer any performance advantage?

For example, assume a SAS drive and a SATA drive can both sustained stream 70MB/s. A 16 drive JBOD SAS enclosure with internal SAS expander is connected via a 4port SAS RAID controller, configured for RAID 5 across all 16 drives.

If tests are then run reading and writing a multi gigabyte file to empty arrays made up of 16 SAS drives and 16 SATA drives, would the results be identical?

I ask, as I have seen a comment to the effect that SATA drives are less efficient interacting at the bus/interface level in this situation, but I have had no luck confirming this after extensive searching.

Regards,

Richard