Richard Scobie wrote:

Greg Freemyer wrote:

Also, if you have Port Multiplexers (PMPs) in use, that would be
interesting to know.  I don't even know if PMPs are supported via SAS
controllers in 2.6.24 or not.  ie. PMP support is new to 2.6.24 and
only a few Sata controllers will have PMP support in 2.6.24.

No, port multipliers are not in use here, the technology that SAS uses is called port expansion. While I do not know much about the low level operational differences, from a performance perspective, this is my understanding.

Port multiplication only permits one drive to be accessed at once, whereas port expansion allows multiple drives to be accessed simultaneously.
..

SATA port multipliers (think, "hub") permit multiple drives
to be active simultaneously.

-ml