Jan Beulich wrote:
> I understand your concern, but I think you also understand mine. So
> I'm not really asking for general reversal of the logic, but to perhaps
> make it just a little smarter. The (not generally usable according to
> what you said earlier) experiment I made was to use the smaller of
> the two sets - if either set is empty this of course wouldn't be correct.
> But perhaps, if you have a non-empty port map, that should be
> preferred over nr_ports? Otherwise, chipset specific knowledge may
> need to be applied here (i.e. for ESB2, port map ought to always be
> used)...

Yes, we can be more smart if necessary.  I don't know.  The hardware is
clearly violating the spec which requires those two values to agree.
What status values are you seeing?  Hardware vendors usually don't get
n_ports wrong from the start, they probably have forgotten to decrement
it by one when one of the ports is plugged for some reason.  I bet the
silicon for the port is there and reporting offline PHY, right?

--
tejun