>Yes, we can be more smart if necessary.  I don't know.  The hardware is
>clearly violating the spec which requires those two values to agree.

So are you saying the ESB2 spec is violating a higher level spec? I know
almost nothing about AHCI, so please forgive that question...

>What status values are you seeing?  Hardware vendors usually don't get
>n_ports wrong from the start, they probably have forgotten to decrement
>it by one when one of the ports is plugged for some reason.  I bet the
>silicon for the port is there and reporting offline PHY, right?

This is output from our SLE10SP2 kernel, the output is similar for others:

<6>scsi2 : ahci
<6>ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
<6>scsi3 : ahci
<6>ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
<6>scsi4 : ahci
<6>ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 4 SControl 300)
<6>scsi5 : ahci
<6>ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)

Even the message relating to ata5 seems a little dubious to me, as it's
not in sync with what the other unused ports say (and also not in sync
with what I see on other boxes - SStatus is always 0 for such ports).

Jan