Probably most people here know this, but for those that don't:
the way to protect sensitive data is to cipher it, wether as a ciphered
partition (CFS) or, if that's too slow, there are other ways
on the same principal.
these tools require another password (a "mount" password) for accessing
the oprotected data, /etc/passwd (or other files) do not change a thing.
that way, people can trash your data, but not copy it.
--Guy.