Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> you can find various truetype servers on the web (surpries surprise !).
> there's xfstt and xfsft (carefull not to mix these two though they're
> very similar in the way they work), there's the Bero TrueType server and
> Mandrake have they're own version of the Bero server.

Bero and mandrake it's the same (bero work here), we have done for 6.0
a Xtt patch and heavily patched xfs. No time to test with a hebrew
fonts but i think it's works (we can display kanji fonts).

> I use xfstt because when you install it from RPM it does almost everything
> except install fonts. you can probably get the RPM from rpmfind, or you
> can pick it from ftp://ftp.betalfa.org.il/pub/download/linux/install .
> things that you need to do after you install it :
> * add the following option to the line that runs xfstt (should be
> somewhere in /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfstt) :
>  --encoding iso8859-1,iso8859-8,windows-1251
> this will allow you to use the hebrew glyphs from the font file.

the problem xfstt is very expensive with cpu and memory when you have
complicated fonts, (like hebrew) you have the computer completely
broken.

> * if you are using RedHat 6.0 and the RedHat font server (it's doesn't
> serve truetype fonts) you may encounter some problems with X, because both
> try to use the same port. change xfstt's port to something else, with
> --port <port number>

With RH6.0 the port is set to "unix/:-1", i don't think xfstt use this
one.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com
                                        --Chmouel