I know that many of you love to read Freshmeat and to learn about
announcements of new releases in the last 24 hours. But why should
you wait for the announcements?  Some exciting announcements are
expected in the following days; Let me have the prediction. Though
there is a saying (in Hebrew): "MiYom SheCharav Beit-HaMikdash, Lo
Nitna Nevual Ela LeShotim etc.", I believe my guesses will become
reality:

1. Apache 1.3.9, expected tomorrow. 1.3.7 and 1.3.8 were skept due
   to bugs. Almost half a year passed without any update, and this
   one is not really minor, but includes major improvements like
   XML support and major performance improvements (this one has
   better chances to beat MS in Mindcraft's/PC-Week's benchmarks).

2. mod_ssl 2.4.0 (for Apache 1.3.9). Expected today (supports the
   new OpenSSL which was released this week too).

3. Midgard 1.2. Expected tomorrow (I asked them to delay it to next
   week because of other new releases that it depends on, so if I'm
   wrong regarding to tomorrow, blame me).

4. Zope 2.0. Expected next week.

5. Kernel 2.2.12 and XFree86 3.3.5: Soon. No exact dates. In any
   case, it is not recommended to use the last releases (2.2.11 and
   3.3.4), due to some problems which are fixed by the new
   versions (the latest SuSE uses XF86 3.3.4, but doesn't suffer
   from these problems).

6. Caldera Open Linux 2.3: Very soon.

7. Gnome 1.2 (!): Soon. So don't be surprised again (as the
   previous time, that Migual announced 1.0 in the middle of Linux
   World, when everybody thought that no 1.0 would be expected in
   the following months...).

8. Don't forget the new low-end Linux servers from IBM which are
   expected next week. And don't believe the published prices.
   Intel is going to slash P-III prices in the following 48 hours
   (Sshh...  don't tell anybody!), and IBM plans to publish lower
   prices for its Linux servers, following Intel, last minute
   before the official announcement.

9. Results of the SportToto: Oops, too hard... Maybe next time :-)

If any of you knows any rumor about schedules or plans of RedHat /
Mandrake / other-RedHat-derivatives, I'll love to hear!  (I don't
know anything about them).

Next week I'm abroad for an urgent work, so I'll use this
opportunity to ask you to delay non-urgent issues to the week
after. As always, I'll be available in my usual number (050-237338)
through most of my trip, for urgent cases.

--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]