On Wed, 3 May 2000, Ira Abramov wrote:

> I use PINE, and it lets youuse the output of a program, so I do just
> that. however with netscape it looks for a static file (won't take a URL
> or a piped output), so your last resort is to set a cronjob to change
> your sig once in a while, or forget the silly feature (or move to pine
> :)

to that - here is an idea: instead of a static file, use a named pipe
(created using 'mknod'), and have a program that writes out 'fortune's
data' to that named pipe. this will most likely work.

if someone wants to try this out, you may find a program that writes into
named pipes on my IPC tutorial, at
http://www.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/multi-process/multi-process.html , look
under the 'named pipes' section, and read through the 'compleet example'.

the idea is to change the program so instead of writing by itself into the
named pipe - it will launch 'fortune', not before redirecting its standard
output into the named pipe (man dup and/or man dup2 forperforming the
redirection, and read about using fork and exec, for lanching furtunre).

after you have the program done, you simply need to have it running always
before you launch netscape (or at least, before you send email).

if anyone attempts to write this out - let me know how it worked, and if
you encountered any interesting problems.

guy

"For world domination - press 1,