I was involved in creating some standards in my life,
some of them were used, others were left to die in my
hard-drive. I must say that working on a standard is a
real HELL!!! While reading a standard is sometimes
boring, writing one can kill you.

A standard is a set of rules widely used and
implemented. There is no point for having a standard
if it is not WIDELY used. An example for this is the
Smalltalk language: Any diffrent implementation is
COMPLETELY diffrent from any other. It is easier to
rewrite the application than to port it from one
Smalltalk implementation to another. This problem is
now addressed buy http://www.smalltalk.com - but I
personaly see almost no progress (especially because I
haven't written "real" Smalltalk code for around a
year).

Realitivily to Smalltalk both C and C++ have standards
which are widely implemented. The proof for it is that
if you write a simple calculagte application in C or
C++ compiling it with another compiler is extremely
easy, while a calculator application written in
Smalltalk will surely not work with a diffrent
implementation, even with minor changes.

Not all of the C/C++ standard is followed by all
compilers. Usually the commercial compiler follow 99%
of the standard but has some extra futures (like
BORLAND C/C++). If a hacker makes use of those futures
than porting the code will usually require non-minor
changes to the code. The gnu compiler, g++, doesn't
add any special futures to the languages and stirctly
follows the standard (for all of you stupid guys: A
C++ guru told this!). This makes code written in g++
pritty easy portable (my own exprience with a pretty
big project).

Some compilers (like BORLAND) add very stange futures
which make the code importable. For example, in one
compiler I once used you could do something like this:

  i = new int[i_a][i_b];

while in g++ I had to chane such things to:

  i = new int*[i_a];
  for (int counter = 0; counter < i_a; counter++)
    i[counter] = new int[i_b];

Buy,
Ilya 'rilel' Khayutin