Eli Marmor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The big question is: WHAT Win exactly?  Win 9x (the latest: ME), or
> NT (the latest: 2000). From the first look, 2000 looks better. But I
> am not sure. Do both live peacefully with a Linux partition?  And
> with lilo (or the similar boot software from Mandrake)?

A few days ago I installed RH7.0 on a computer with NT4.0
preinstalled. The RH installer warned me about the following:

1) LILO can live in the MBR if the other OS is Win9x.
2) If the other OS is NT, then LILO should be put in the
   beginning of the root partition, and one needs a boot
   floppy.

I could not experiment with that machine, so I simply followed the
instructions (i.e. chose #2 above), and I must admit I have not done
any further research. Can anyone confirm or refute #2, and possibly
explain why?

Anyway, if #2 is right (i.e. with NT LILO can't live in the MBR and
one needs a boot floppy), then it is relevant for Eli's question.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"... We work by wit, and not by witchcraft;